Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

While I know joggers will prefer the deck 15 jogging track, it looks like they have not achieved a full promenade both due to Two70 aft, but it also appears that forward on deck 5, 6 and 7 would be crew access areas.

I guess this means that there will be no connection between the deck 5 promenades on each side of the ship, without going through the public areas looking at the image featured in the press release showing both Q and A.

This would seem to indicate that the deck 7 helipad will be closed to passengers at most times, similar to Oasis Class.

Has anyone noticed anything other than this?

Given that Q is floating...that answers my earlier question on how they were going to get both the Q and A block out. They'll flood the A block section and then pull the dividers. Although I thought the divider swung in and didn't recede into the wall like a pocket door does. I guess it doesn't matter if it does or not thinking about it. They'll pull the A block out to get clearance and swing the doors away from Q to let her out.

Thank you HD1080I.de!

On Saturday, 09. August 2014 the 167.800-gt cruise ship Quantum of the Seas , the third largest cruise ship in the world, will leave MEYER WERFT’s covered building dock II. The float-out of the ship, built for US cruise operator Royal Caribbean International , will commence around 07:30 a.m.

Following the float-out, the Quantum of the Seas will be berthed alongside the yard's pier for one night, before being turned on 10 August for the thruster and stabiliser tests.

With the ship berthed at the yard's pier, the remaining works as well as tests and trials will be carried out on board until the ship’s conveyance down the river Ems to the North Sea, which is scheduled for the middle of September.

The float-out will be broadcast via webcam on http://www.meyerwerft.com

10572183_538795912891984_8481251246005029872_o.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
Sorry about the huge photo, but she's worth it, no?

While I know joggers will prefer the deck 15 jogging track, it looks like they have not achieved a full promenade both due to Two70 aft, but it also appears that forward on deck 5, 6 and 7 would be crew access areas.

I guess this means that there will be no connection between the deck 5 promenades on each side of the ship, without going through the public areas looking at the image featured in the press release showing both Q and A.

This would seem to indicate that the deck 7 helipad will be closed to passengers at most times, similar to Oasis Class.

Has anyone noticed anything other than this?

That is what I've noticed. Still hoping that passengers can access the bow area from within or deck 5. It's on my list of spots to go to on day 1 of the cruise!

Here is another view of the bow. You can see that there is a staircase down to the lower area of the bow behind the railing in the center opening.

6da734148a7f9240812bef9dc94d7c13.jpg

Here is another view of the bow. You can see that there is a staircase down to the lower area of the bow behind the railing in the center opening.

]

It is a silly thing, but I really like the access to this area on RCI Radiance, Voyager and Freedom Class ships and it distinguishes them from other lines.

They saved this somewhat on Oasis class with the full promenade cutting behind the gym entrance and then on Vision Class you can at least circle around aft.

That stairway would seem to go down to that outdoor crew area below, but could be gated at deck 7 to allow passengers to circulate above, but I doubt it.

I am sure they can use it for 'Top-tier' events and other activities as they do on Oasis though.

Is the 'helipad' area going to stay red? Looks like a form of primer to me? Meyerwerft's other ships have all recently been grey so I'm assuming this is what colour it'll end up being?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Lloyd - Thanks for sharing these great pictures. I also like the white trim on top of the blue around the top of the bow section. The photo you posted a few days ago in which appeared as an "optical illusion" may have been taken from a spot on deck 14 forward (looks like a crew cleaning slider. Sorry don't know the right name for it) shown in the third photo of your post #2579.

Edit: Wonder if those big windows or openings at the bow will stay open like that or will have some glass or something? It would be very windy at any of those spots.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

It is a silly thing, but I really like the access to this area on RCI Radiance, Voyager and Freedom Class ships and it distinguishes them from other lines.

They saved this somewhat on Oasis class with the full promenade cutting behind the gym entrance and then on Vision Class you can at least circle around aft.

That stairway would seem to go down to that outdoor crew area below, but could be gated at deck 7 to allow passengers to circulate above, but I doubt it.

I am sure they can use it for 'Top-tier' events and other activities as they do on Oasis though.

On the Grandeur of the Seas the promenade continues around the front of the ship and the walk way is divided from the bow equipment by a railing and gate. In rougher seas or winds they close the front walkway off though so it's not always possible to do a complete lap.

Its been awhile since I looked at the factory webcam. Today I see the ship in front of Quantum is gone giving a better view of the box. Any word on the bow, will be it accessible like Voyager and Freedom, or a privileged area like Oasis.

Its been awhile since I looked at the factory webcam. Today I see the ship in front of Quantum is gone giving a better view of the box. Any word on the bow, will be it accessible like Voyager and Freedom, or a privileged area like Oasis.

Looking at the deck 6 and 7 deck plans, I don't see a way to get there.

Thank you HD1080I.de!

On Saturday, 09. August 2014 the 167.800-gt cruise ship Quantum of the Seas , the third largest cruise ship in the world, will leave MEYER WERFT’s covered building dock II. The float-out of the ship, built for US cruise operator Royal Caribbean International , will commence around 07:30 a.m.

Following the float-out, the Quantum of the Seas will be berthed alongside the yard's pier for one night, before being turned on 10 August for the thruster and stabiliser tests.

With the ship berthed at the yard's pier, the remaining works as well as tests and trials will be carried out on board until the ship’s conveyance down the river Ems to the North Sea, which is scheduled for the middle of September.

The float-out will be broadcast via webcam on http://www.meyerwerft.com

10572183_538795912891984_8481251246005029872_o.jpg

Great news! The ship looks awesome. I'm liking the white line that runs from one end of the ship to the other and is symmetrical at each end with the 'step' in the line. Snazzy. I don't think the line is (very) visible in old renderings, but it's there in those little renderings recently posted.

2013-12-23-RCCL-Quantum-3-Bild-1_447px_width.jpg

Now is it just me, or has the gorilla (no, it's not the rock wall as stated in earlier post) at the aft end been shrink wrapped? :D

Edited by Tough as Leather

Great news! The ship looks awesome. I'm liking the white line that runs from one end of the ship to the other and is symmetrical at each end with the 'step' in the line. Snazzy. I don't think the line is (very) visible in old renderings, but it's there in those little renderings recently posted.

Now is it just me, or has the gorilla (no, it's not the rock wall as stated in earlier post) at the aft end been shrink wrapped? :D

I also thought the white line was very cool especially the profile around the bow. The recent rendering is looking to be more representative of the actual as seen in the building dock.

Love how Anthem's front facing cabins are alongside Quantums in that pic.

Is Anthem block 2 floating out same day as Quantum and then back in with block 1?

Is Anthem block 2 floating out same day as Quantum and then back in with block 1?

The German version of the press release says that Meyer Werft will block the lock to the Ems from August 7 to August 10. Does that mean they're doing some maneuvering of megablocks before August 9? We'll have to wait and see.

The German version of the press release says that Meyer Werft will block the lock to the Ems from August 7 to August 10. Does that mean they're doing some maneuvering of megablocks before August 9? We'll have to wait and see.

Well it says Quantum float out starts at 07:30 so I can't see the press all lined up to see a megablock float out. So I reckon 7th or 8th megablock 2 comes out and finds somewhere near 1 to perch.

Then 9th-10th both will float back in (to the back of the dry dock), shutting the gate and then once drained within the week we should get in front Escape's keel laying ceremony for her first megablock.

I liked that too. Kind of like a before and after shot. :D

Now things are getting interesting!

Denise

Me too! Like before and after photos.

ca8524f1ddbcab8484c456769e0502da.jpg44c78aded2bd948124461ddcc29ad2c1.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

If I remember correctly, this is where the spools for the anchoring equipment goes, and other assorted equipment.

From what I have seen in pictures, the mooring deck is actually the deck below the open bow one. I have circled it (crudely) in this picture. Red shows the openings for the crew deck, and the deck below that is the hawsers and openings for the mooring deck:

14631529619_1824665fd0_b.jpg

Edited by littlesteelo

Do we still not know what the openings are for at the front of the ship?

Perhaps there is no purpose for the opening. The more and more I look at QOTS it appears Royal just took the hull design from Celebrity Solstice Class and added the Voyager to Freedom multiplier to increase the size. Solstice class also has this opening in the bow behind the helipad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bandith007