2014 20 precent price increase on HAL

B Russo

I may be wrong but there seems to be a large increase on HAL for 2014. This year on the May 18 Westerdam Seattle to Alaska Deluxe Suite was about 5200 on the 2014 May 10 is about 6700. Has anyone else seen this price increase ? I guess the price may come down later but who knows. Seems like you will be getting less for more all the time. Hate to think about it but this may have been my last time to Cruise.

Hal always starts high and then decreases over time in my experience. The way some folks go on and on about how low prices are on cruises compared to what they used to be you'd think you'd see the opposite.

Agreed. Most, but not all, of the time when we book early, we pay a higher price than those who book later. HAL is known for lowering the prices after final payment date.

There have been times we booked early and the prices actually went up. That can and does happen.

I may be wrong but there seems to be a large increase on HAL for 2014. This year on the May 18 Westerdam Seattle to Alaska Deluxe Suite was about 5200 on the 2014 May 10 is about 6700. Has anyone else seen this price increase ? I guess the price may come down later but who knows. Seems like you will be getting less for more all the time. Hate to think about it but this may have been my last time to Cruise.

I have seen the same thing. Been checking for 2014 Alaska cruises and found the price are highter then this year by around 20% or more.

Even if they lower their prices after final payments, they still are more then last year. Wish I could get a 20% raise in my income.:D

Because there is a 20% increase in an Alaskan cruise doesn't foretell an across the board 20% increase. Try another cruise! On one of my "wish list" cruises for 2014, the rate for a balcony only increased by $100 - on a 75-day cruisel

Agreed. Most, but not all, of the time when we book early, we pay a higher price than those who book later. HAL is known for lowering the prices after final payment date.

There have been times we booked early and the prices actually went up. That can and does happen.

Seems to be a "crap shoot". Book early at the higher rate...keep an eye on the rates as they drop...and ask your TA or PCC to have the rate adjusted...that's the best advice I have to share.

Hmmmm...how many people have said they are willing to pay more for a return to what was previously offered???

I know, people will say no improvement has been made, but which comes first?

A business in a capitalistic society is always entitled to charge what the market will bear. The public, on the other hand, always thinks any price increase is unfair.

Hmmmm...how many people have said they are willing to pay more for a return to what was previously offered???

I know, people will say no improvement has been made, but which comes first?

A business in a capitalistic society is always entitled to charge what the market will bear. The public, on the other hand, always thinks any price increase is unfair.

Don't agree, I think some improvement should come first.The last few years HAL has gone down in quality. I have been on HAL ships for a very long time. Bill

This is why I'm probably going to be sailing on Carnival to Alaska next year. I do an 8-day on Carnival for less than a 7-day on HAL. Alaska is all about the ports and scenery, and I can't justify the extra cost on HAL.

Roz

Well, as expected HAL cannot win! Cruising passengers want the "goodies*" back, investors want more money back. Passengers (well, some on CC at least) say - I would pay more for the "good old days" but suddenly don't want to pay more. Of course, the real unknown is if things will be added back or not if they charge more.

I agree prices are going up.......but I've said that for years........and it's not just HAL.........we sail Princess, and HAL and occasionally RCI..........Royal Carribean has been inching up prices for the last 4 years....

As long as they can fill ships, they (all cruiselines) will continue to inch up prices.

Good deals are still out there but getting harder to find on all cruiselines.

I am booked on the Maasdam for a July 2013 7-day Canada/New England cruise that we booked June 2012.

I looked at the same cruise for July 2014 and the price is basically the same as when we booked last year.

Now, we were able to watch for some specials and reduce our price over the past several months, but the 'advertised' price is the same.

Alaska cruises almost always start high and then come down IMO as we have booked several over the past 7 years.

I just checked our 2014 cruise from Sydney to Vancouver fare and was surprised that for the 2nd time the price has decreased considerably (this time $1007) ... so you never can tell!!

Do not worry. The prices will come down when HAL is unable to sell the cabins.

I saw a last minute great deal on HAL a couple of weeks ago to Alaska; 14 day round trip Seattle, inside, $699 excluding govern fees. Never seen a price that low in years. This special offer was posted 10 days from sailing.

Recently checked sailings from Vancouver. HAL is currently playing games with its 2014 Alaska cruise prices. I cruise solo so cannot afford the suite prices. What I can afford [ocean view] on 2 ships are currently wait listed. What kind of crap is that??? Wait Listed 12 months away??? They are making it IMPOSSIBLE for me to book a future cruise by July 29/13 per an email they sent after my last cruise on May 11/13 on Zuiderdam. What kind of incentive is that???:confused:

Well, as expected HAL cannot win! Cruising passengers want the "goodies*" back, investors want more money back. Passengers (well, some on CC at least) say - I would pay more for the "good old days" but suddenly don't want to pay more. Of course, the real unknown is if things will be added back or not if they charge more.

I would pay more if HAL would go back ( as you call it " to the good old days ". I just want A fair deal for the money I pay. I guess pay your money and Waite for the UNKNOWN :rolleyes::rolleyes: Bill

I think some are saying they are willing to pay higher prices but they want more quality for that additional cost.

They do not want to pay more and continually get less.

I don't complain at the cost but IF I feel there isn't enough value for the money we paid, that wouldn't be good.

If we pay more and get more, I'm fine with that. If we pay more and get less that is not fine.

Each of us decides what is 'enough' for the amount of money we paid.

Because there is a 20% increase in an Alaskan cruise doesn't foretell an across the board 20% increase. Try another cruise! On one of my "wish list" cruises for 2014, the rate for a balcony only increased by $100 - on a 75-day cruisel

I would like to say that it is only the Alaskan cruise that have gone up in price but that is not totally true. We booked a South Pacific cruise a while back and while we were on that cruise the cruise consultant tried to talk us into another South Pacific cruise and the price had went up 30%. To say the least we were shocked, and glad we had taken that cruise when we considered it a great price.

Now if you want a really cheap Alaskan cruise, I saw an inside cabin on RC for 199. How can the all the cruise lines compete with that price?

Archived