Adjusting lifestyle to get more cruises in?

Just wanted to know if we were the only ones that have changed various parts of our lifestyle to be able to cruise more often (in the near future).

I'm interested in what other people do to get more time on a ship. :)

yes, yes... we do. Even though we only doing one cruise a year ( November), we take additional two land vacations. I would like to do another one but it has to be spring break or summer. Besides crazy overpriced fares, there are more kids during spring break and super hot in the summer.

So after my second child was born and we ended up with daycare payment, in order to keep up with three vacations per year we:

• don't eat out at all
  • canceled cable, just connected computer to TV screen
  • canceled phone land line
  • reduce shopping for clothes between four of us
  • stopped doing my nails (tips, fillings). stick to regular meni/pedi
  • renting with kitchen on land vacation , meaning cooking everything
  • cut down on BBQ parties at home
  • book in advance (1-2 years out) to get the best for the cheapest
  • use credit cards with points for OBC ( for incoming Breakaway used NCL credit card for 2 years and accumulated worth of $ 700 OBC)

Just wanted to know if we were the only ones that have changed various parts of our lifestyle to be able to cruise more often (in the near future).

Had we known 17 years ago, when we booked our very first, how much we enjoy cruising (and how addictive it is), we might have seriously considered moving into or close to a port city. That way, we could probably cruise a little more often, and, BIG PLUS, not have to pay air fare. Oh well....

In answer to your question, at this point, about the only things we could change would be to get rid of our dogs (don't want to do that) and figure out how to have fewer responsibilities/obligations. Of course, having more money would also be a big help.:)

I have started to use my credit cards with cashback points to make major purchases, like my husband's chainsaw, home improvements, etc. to help get a little extra cruise money. I was suprised how fast it can add up!

we hunkered down for a long time after losing a job, havin a little one... finally moved into my moms "grammie" unit.. cut our rent in 1/2 by going from 1500 sq ft home 3/2 to a 900 sq ft cozyhome 1 1/2 bed and 1 bath... cancelled cable, went to netflix only and watch my shows for free online.. learning to book earlier this time as well. its been awhile but finally going to be able to book our next cruise once my carnival mastercard comes in the mail.. first credit card since bankruptcy (going to be smart this time around).... also tax season helps us a lot too with the little one and paying daycare..

Years ago, I stopped smoking and drinking. The annual savings easily pays for 6 weeks of vacation a year.

We haven't really adjusted a whole lot, but it is easier now than it was years ago. We had our kids young, now they are both on their own and very self supportive. We only owe on one thing at this time which is our house and it will be paid of by the end of Sept. :D So that means all that extra principle can now be put to an extra cruise a year and then some. We really had to scrimp and save for the first 20 years or so of our marriage, but now we are able to reap the benefits of all that saving. We plan to cruise at least twice a year for the for-seeable future. However, next year may only be once as we are planning our 30th anniversary trip to Hawaii. There is an interesting board titled "you're going on another cruise" it is fun to read everyone's opinion on this subject.

Not really. Taking vacations is something that has always been a priority for me. So whether I am cruising, flying, driving, walking, whatever, living within my means and always having a vacation fund is just a part of life.

Can't say I adjusted anything within my lifestyle to cruise (or vacation). Cruising is just one of the reasonable modes of travel to get me to some place new I want to explore.

We are making slow changes. Right now, we're doing the card with points and using it for regular expenses and then paying it off each month. We have a plan in place to buy a "retirement" home in a few years near a major port so we can cruise without the added travel expenses. Right now we're in Ohio, so the expenses double the cost of cruising for us.

Ultimately, raising 4 daughteers and successfully launching them into adulthood should free up quite a bit of money in a few years! :p

yes, yes... we do. Even though we only doing one cruise a year ( November), we take additional two land vacations. I would like to do another one but it has to be spring break or summer. Besides crazy overpriced fares, there are more kids during spring break and super hot in the summer.

So after my second child was born and we ended up with daycare payment, in order to keep up with three vacations per year we:

• don't eat out at all
  • canceled cable, just connected computer to TV screen
  • canceled phone land line
  • reduce shopping for clothes between four of us
  • stopped doing my nails (tips, fillings). stick to regular meni/pedi
  • renting with kitchen on land vacation , meaning cooking everything
  • cut down on BBQ parties at home
  • book in advance (1-2 years out) to get the best for the cheapest
  • use credit cards with points for OBC ( for incoming Breakaway used NCL credit card for 2 years and accumulated worth of $ 700 OBC)

OK so I was going to answer but...... ditto, ditto, ditto....:D

BBQ parties...not so much our thing and nails? When I bother it is a do it yourselfer.

I do eat out occasionally but not expensively!

The point thing has come into play for our $20 airline tickets to Lauderdale in December! :D

Cutting costs is not just a cruise thing but an evolution in the realization of what you

don't need as you mature. Maturity is not just an age thing but an awakening of what do you really want.

And I want to travel!

Used to cruise primarily in Balcony accomadations once a year. By switching to inside cabins and giving up monthly trips to AC and Foxwoods we now cruise 2 to 3 times a year. When onboard we slashed our gambling budget and spend more time at the shows and listening to music. We rarely purchase excursions. Last we only sail from our homeport of NYC eliminating the need for airfare/hotels or rental cars.

About the time Hubby & I decided we want to cruise 4 times a year,

We quit smoking...1 pack per person per day=$3650.00 year

Hubby quit going to Starbucks everyday, now occasionally=$700.00 year

Bought CCL stock=$300-400.00 year OBC

Use CCL credit card points=$200-400.00 year

We don't go out every weekend, but do continue to eat out & I do my share of keeping retail stores & online stores in business...I shop sales & use discounts & coupons from stores like Macy's & Kohl's.

We always cruise in Nov & Feb (Birthday, Anniv. & Valentines) with a spur of the moment or two thrown in during the year. We don't get balconies anymore, since we don't smoke. We have started flying to Florida, since we have so few ships here now...We shop for good prices on air.

We Quit smoking. Never eat in restaurants- only order in pizza and wings when desperate after working all day. I'm still paying hefty college tuitions so it's all part of the same game.... I take in foreign students to fill in the college students' rooms: $$$. I honestly watch every purchase. I don't shop in big box stores- I shop at Aldi's:o. I'm an independent contractor so I can adjust my schedule but I'm front loading it like crazy now and I'll scramble when I get back. No cable- that's an easy one- I've got a Roku with Amazon and Netflix.

That said, I'm still paying $380 a month in cell phone bills (5 iPhones), I have waaaaay too many kids in college, I seem to have vet bills from hell every month, and the roof is leaking!

So what can you do? I book the cruise and worry about paying for it later :D.

We haven't really adjusted a whole lot, but it is easier now than it was years ago. We had our kids young, now they are both on their own and very self supportive. We only owe on one thing at this time which is our house and it will be paid of by the end of Sept. :D So that means all that extra principle can now be put to an extra cruise a year and then some. We really had to scrimp and save for the first 20 years or so of our marriage, but now we are able to reap the benefits of all that saving. We plan to cruise at least twice a year for the for-seeable future. However, next year may only be once as we are planning our 30th anniversary trip to Hawaii. There is an interesting board titled "you're going on another cruise" it is fun to read everyone's opinion on this subject.

Is that board on CC? It sounds interesting...that's what our family & friends say.

Is that board on CC? It sounds interesting...that's what our family & friends say.

Yes, it is a board on CC, can't figure out how to send the link, but it is in the Cruise Rituals board. Right now it's about the 4th or 5th line down. You can probably find it in the search function of the subject also.

Scott

Yes, it is a board on CC, can't figure out how to send the link, but it is in the Cruise Rituals board. Right now it's about the 4th or 5th line down. You can probably find it in the search function of the subject also.

Scott

Thanks, I found it & just finished reading it:)

Thought I had it mastered!! Sold my houses up north, moved to the beach in Florida. I can work anywhere With Internet......ooops...dang ship Internet!!

So on version 2.0 and have a staff but still need to be attached some. But helps I have a port 20 minutes away and a few more down the road. Did get a vacation every month last year before a big contract. Time to rebid and I'm like what a pain. Tried that retirement at 40 and even just travel was bored.

But anyone can do it. Raised 2 kids by myself,single dad, worked full time and college full time. Wondered how we were going to make it but you do if you have ambition. Never asked for a penny from anyone.

Used to cruise primarily in Balcony accomadations once a year. By switching to inside cabins and giving up monthly trips to AC and Foxwoods we now cruise 2 to 3 times a year. When onboard we slashed our gambling budget and spend more time at the shows and listening to music. We rarely purchase excursions. Last we only sail from our homeport of NYC eliminating the need for airfare/hotels or rental cars.

Ahhh! Foxwoods-I'm actually from CT. I've definitely spent more time than needed there, lol. I had my 21st birthday there, pretty cool. Dad works at Mohegan Sun. :)

While I I truly admire those who are able to adjust their lifestyles to accommodate more cruises and don't begrudge anyone for accomplishing their goal - I feel fortunate enough to just live a good life. We are retired in live in Northern Ontario so air fare kills us - we feel fortunate if we can swing a cruise once every two years or so - if then. I wish all those who can swing more cruises all the best and I will not say that I don't envy you with every bone in my body. Last year looked at cruising but would have cost us over $1000 EACH just to fly and the cruise itself was $625 - just not in our future

Not really. Taking vacations is something that has always been a priority for me. So whether I am cruising, flying, driving, walking, whatever, living within my means and always having a vacation fund is just a part of life.

Can't say I adjusted anything within my lifestyle to cruise (or vacation). Cruising is just one of the reasonable modes of travel to get me to some place new I want to explore.

Same for us.

No cable- that's an easy one- I've got a Roku with Amazon and Netflix.

So what can you do? I book the cruise and worry about paying for it later :D.

DH & I love our ROKU...you can find mostly anything you want to watch on there.

I book the cruises we find a way to pay for them. If there is xtra cash we upgrade or book another cruise.

I have informed my husband that if he re-enlists (navy) I will be going on a cruise every time he deploys. If he gets to be on a ship, so do I! Lol... I've also seriously considered looking into him getting orders in Florida, to be closer to most ports. And have seriously considered dealing with the headaches of billing insurance companies myself and working independently instead of for a company I just plain love... Simply so I can take time off as I see fit... To go on more cruises.

~Katy

We also don't eat out that simply because I hate to wait in line to eat (unless I'm on a cruise ship of course), and I think the food we prepare at home is a better quality, and taste better than most restaurant food. We do some land vacations, but there are in conjunction with visiting family, etc. We do attend and host several BBQ parties throughout the year, but it's mainly with family and close family friends, which is more a pot luck style, or the host arranges the menu according to what everyones special dish is. We also combine vacation days off with holidays, which leave us lots of extra days left to plan cruises during the year. Did I mention all our loose change goes into a 5 gallon water bottle. A coworker of mine gave me that tip over 20 years ago when he use to take his grandkids to Disney, and the money he saved was spend solely on them. We have collected anywhere from $300-$700 in a year doing this. Our cruise in August will make out second this year, and third in a year. The stars, planets, and money have all been lined up correctly do it. lol

Archived