iPhones yay or nay???

duesouth

I am going on allure of the seas this November. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the iPhones. I am going on the cruise with my partner and my 18 year old son. Is it worth the cost? Do they work well?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am going on allure of the seas this November. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the iPhones. I am going on the cruise with my partner and my 18 year old son. Is it worth the cost? Do they work well?

What are you gonna do with them? Hard to determine if it's worth the cost without a bit of info.

Royal carribean offers refurbished iPhones for a rate of 30 dollars a week. They can text other passengers and call other passengers. I should've explained it better then my general question. This is not my personal phone.

So that means you will have to rent two. Unless there is some reason that you need to be in constant communication with your son, make him responsible to check in with you in person at various times during the day. Save your money.

You'll also need to find out what the charge will be per text. Just because they rent them doesn't mean calls or texts will be free. For iPhones, the per text charge is $.50 to send and $.05 to receive. Plus, you'll want to make sure your teen doesn't use the phone to text home. Teens can text hundreds of times a day, which will cost you big bucks. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. If you plan your day, you really won't need phones.

I would like to keep in contact with my son on the ship. I was hoping to hear some feedback from other cruisers that have rented them on the ship.

Tell him where to be at a given time.

If you cannot find him, look for pretty girls and it's a good bet that he'll be near them.

Here's a dumb question - how do we prevent the million text messages that my daughter and I receive every day from incurring charges while the phones are with us in the safe. We will NOT be using them at all while on the boat.

If we power them down, do the texts rack up charges? I know it's a dumb question but I'm a bit technologically illiterate.

Here's a dumb question - how do we prevent the million text messages that my daughter and I receive every day from incurring charges while the phones are with us in the safe. We will NOT be using them at all while on the boat.

If we power them down, do the texts rack up charges? I know it's a dumb question but I'm a bit technologically illiterate.

Hi thanks for the reply... Yes make sure the phones are turned off...you will not be charged for incoming messages/texts as long as you don't reply and your phone is not roaming. I would turn your data off in your general settings just to make sure. Then even if you accidentally turn them on and don't realize it. You won't be charged. I hope this helps.

I really do not think that an 18 year old will want to carry a walkie talkie!.

He will if it gives him free reign on the ship. He can carry it in his pool towel or rucksack with book.

He will if it gives him free reign on the ship. He can carry it in his pool towel or rucksack with book.

He's 18, an adult. He should have free reign.

We put our phones on "airplane mode". That way they won't keep trying to find a signal to hook up to. The only time they came out of that mode was when we were on an island and we KNEW FOR SURE we were in a wi-fi area. Worked out great!

We put our phones on "airplane mode". That way they won't keep trying to find a signal to hook up to. The only time they came out of that mode was when we were on an island and we KNEW FOR SURE we were in a wi-fi area. Worked out great!

Great idea - hadn't thought of that!

Archived