Upgrade Fairy blessed us!

PlanoDebbie

Booked our trip on the Sapphire Princess 2 weeks ago for the June 29th 14 day sailing. We did the OZ Obstructed gty. After obsessively checking our booking online, we finally got a cabin assignment. We were originally set in category OZ as a guaranty. We skipped right past OF, OY, OW, OV and O5 to be placed into OC!!! No obstructed window. Sweet!

Now we need to start packing. Ship sails next week.

WoooooooooHoooooooo!!!

Congratulations, maybe someday I'll get a visit. When you book Guarantee is the price less than the cabins they show you to choose from on the page? I often wondered about that.

The fares are the same whether you book "Guarantee" or request a specific cabin. The last two years we've booked Interior Guarantee and were upgraded to oceanview cabins, so we feel very fortunate! Trying it again this year. We'll be content with Interior if the upgrade fairy doesn't visit us--just happy to be cruising Alaska!

We booked through an online TA. They do a lot of discount cruise fares with the 90 day ticker. I'm sure I'll get bleeped if I put their name or website here, so feel free to ask me if you have never heard of Vac2go.

Just to give you an idea of how much we saved. Go to the Princess website and check out what they are charging for the 14 day cruise on the Sapphire ship leaving July 13th. That is the sailing immediately after ours. We leave June 29th on the Sapphire and return July 13th. The cheapest you will get for an OV cabin through Princess is $1600-$3700. We paid a whopping total of $799 pp for our sailing through this other company.

Here's our thoughts on Alaska:

1) We've already had a balcony once and barely used it because it was usually too cold. When viewing the glaciers, you will want to be on one of the larger public decks to get a better view.

2) Since most folks book balcony cabins months in advance, there is a flood of interior and ocean view cabins still unsold during the final 60 days prior to sailing.

3) If you can schedule your vacation and book airfare with only 4-6 weeks notice, you will save a small fortune waiting to book a guaranty cabin within this time frame.

4) As long as we can tell if the sun is up, if we're in port or moving, and know if it's raining, we don't need anything more expensive than an oceanview cabin. We do like our balcony for the Caribbean, but not Alaska.

5) We also own over 100 shares of Carnival stock, so in addition to getting these rock bottom prices, we have received $250 in shipboard credit to spend on whatever we want.

Just my 2 cents worth of advice. We love Alaska and would sail there every year if we could. I just don't like to spend my entire savings account on my cabin accommodations.

Friends of ours did similar on Island Princess. Booked Guarantee inside for 629 PP and were upgraded to obstructed view midship that is selling for 1600! They booked directly with Princess and the 629 was the price given once signed on to Princess site as Captains Circle member.

Nothing worse than looking into a life boat...so congratulations.

Enjoy Alaska as well.....it is outstanding.

Well, there could be something worse. That's having a cabin which looks into a lifeboat and suddenly you hear the seven blasts and the lifeboat is gone!

Well, there could be something worse. That's having a cabin which looks into a lifeboat and suddenly you hear the seven blasts and the lifeboat is gone!

Ha ha, but those obstructed cabins offer a good price at times and having the light is great. Many of my Princess cruises have been in these cabins.

Archived