To the "WooHoo lady" in Glacier Bay

DebInTN

I hate to complain, and it's really hard to complain about anything during our recent cruise in Glacier Bay (Star Princess, May 29 - not sure of the date). The weather was perfect. This was our 2nd Alaska cruise and I had told the others in our group how amazingly quiet it was the last time we cruised Glacier Bay. I told them it was like there was a respect for the sights we were witnessing. Almost a reverance. However, on this cruise there was a very inconsiderate woman who screamed "woohoo" every time even a small piece of ice fell from the glaciers. There was no chance to hear the sound of the glacier calves splashing. Our videos have no sound except for her screaming. A lady near us asked her to stop (and she did stop for one small calving) but she obviously cared nothing about the experience of anybody else on this cruise. I am posting this, hoping that others will think about how their enthusiasm and inconsideration affects others. I was amazed. I still can't believe somebody would be so self-centered that they would spoil something so spectacular for a lot of other people - especially after it was pointed out to her.

I'm sorry this happened to you and to other passengers. I've learned that this sort of woo-hooing is done at sporting events and even in some work situations where there are spirit rallies, but this is the first I've heard of this in Glacier Bay.

If I'd been there I would have gotten a ship's officier to talk her into silence.

Too bad no one did that.

and by the way, the woman was no LADY!

I am sorry too but isn't the Star Princess a fairly big ship that you could have gotten at least far enough away from her so you wouldn't have been quite as bothered by her? I know when I was on the Coral Princess last year, I was way up top away from 90% of the people on the other decks.

Still it was too bad for the experience. Like Penny said, I would have tried to get a ship employee to intervene.

I hate to complain, and it's really hard to complain about anything during our recent cruise in Glacier Bay (Star Princess, May 29 - not sure of the date). The weather was perfect. This was our 2nd Alaska cruise and I had told the others in our group how amazingly quiet it was the last time we cruised Glacier Bay. I told them it was like there was a respect for the sights we were witnessing. Almost a reverance. However, on this cruise there was a very inconsiderate woman who screamed "woohoo" every time even a small piece of ice fell from the glaciers. There was no chance to hear the sound of the glacier calves splashing. Our videos have no sound except for her screaming. A lady near us asked her to stop (and she did stop for one small calving) but she obviously cared nothing about the experience of anybody else on this cruise. I am posting this, hoping that others will think about how their enthusiasm and inconsideration affects others. I was amazed. I still can't believe somebody would be so self-centered that they would spoil something so spectacular for a lot of other people - especially after it was pointed out to her.

Why didn't you move? There is a LOT of quiet space on a ship. I enjoyed a very quiet Glacier Bay day on a promenade deck, where I did a lot of moving around. It doesn't sound like you were camped out at an inside location?

Frankly, a cruiseline is group travel, with no "contract' stating you have to be quiet. I don't agree that the ship staff should have told her to be quiet. Flame away. :)

I don't know that ship personnel would have had any concrete technical grounds to stop her, and the fact that they were crew likely wouldn't phase her since the other passenger asking her to stop didn't seem to affect her much. In the end unfortunately it just comes down to a growing lack of decorum that often leaves you dumbfounded that you'd even have to address it with someone. That seemed for a long time to be an issue with kids to twenty somethings. Now, it seems like there's just as likely a chance to get seriously cussed out by a 75 year old woman in the checkout line at the grocery store as some young kid. While you certainly could have moved somewhere else on the ship, people should be cognizent of their behavior and the impact on others and have enough perspective and self awareness and care for other people to not ruin things for everyone else so that you didn't have to.

It's like people who sit in the middle of a dark movie theater and spend the whole time talking out loud like they're home alone in their living room to the person with them, or worse yet the characters on the screen as though 1) they're the only ones in the theater and not sittinng with 150 other people, and 2) the people on screen can actually hear them - or the director when they dislike the movie:rolleyes:. Yes, you can get a manager, or you can leave and come back to another show, but as members of society we should be able to expect to all sit together in relative silence, or understand to whisper if we need to express ourselves, and naturally know the right moments to join in the laughter with evveryone there. I'm glad she was so enthralled with the experience, but that awe should have made her more respectiful, not less so.

L.J.

If you want to HEAR the ice crackling (like Rice Krispies) you have to get down low...................like on the Prom. Deck. Usually it's very quiet down there because so many folks think they have to be UP and FORWARD the whole day in G.B.

I've never experienced anything like that. Sorry!

To the OP - I do understand how that could take away from the experience, and I don't think it hurts to give folks a reminder about being quiet.

Interestingly, I had the opposite experience. We were watching calving at Dawes Glacier, and I have a short video with one lady exclaiming in awe as the calving occurred. As it turns out, we became friends on the cruise, and it's nice to have her voice in the background of the calving. There is, of course, a difference between a loud and perhaps indiscriminate "Wa Hoo," and someone gasping in awe, stating how amazing it was ...

I was on the same cruise!

I spent the majority of Marjorie Glacier on Deck 7 where is wasnt crowded at all and was pretty quiet. I was running up and down the ship taking pictures. For the final 15 minutes, I went up to deck 15 where I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the people cheering and screaming, but I guess it can be annoying if you are next to them the whole time. I remember someone high-fiving the "woohoo lady" at the end and said something like "you were great".

GB22.jpg

GB30B.jpg

GB21.jpg

I spent the majority of Marjorie Glacier on Deck 7 where is wasnt crowded at all and was pretty quiet. I was running up and down the ship taking pictures. For the final 15 minutes, I went up to deck 15 where I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the people cheering and screaming, but I guess it can be annoying if you are next to them the whole time. I remember someone high-fiving the "woohoo lady" at the end and said something like "you were great".

GB22.jpg

GB30B.jpg

GB21.jpg

just want to say you have awesome pics now i want to go to glacier bay

The woo hoo would have gotten old with me, after the first one.

I agree with this sentiment and I imagine if you have a "good spot" maybe you don't want to lose it to search out another spot. I haven't been yet so I'm speculating.

What a drag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with this sentiment and I imagine if you have a "good spot" maybe you don't want to lose it to search out another spot. I haven't been yet so I'm speculating.

What a drag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no "spot" that's worth being miserable at. I too am on a promenade deck, which is the lowest and superb for wildlife- I see way more than you would on the top front deck. Plenty of space. I go to the other side with the turn, and during the sailing, stay near the back and go back and forth side to side. It is a simple matter to get away from anyone you wish. There is a LOT of space, and people are always on the move. I can always count on those unprepared attire people. :)

Being it is mentioned the "sounds" they had to be outside. Now inside is a whole different story, if you want to camp out. You are going to be stuck with the people there.

We were on the Island on the May 20 cruise. Our port balcony was perfect for viewing except for our neighbors who had friends on their balcony and they were whooping it up like they were at a football game. My videos are filled with their loud mouth comments.

When the ship was turned, we went up to deck 16 to watch and everyone was very quiet there so we did get the whole experience.

Sue

GB22.jpg

GB30B.jpg

GB21.jpg

Thank you for sharing your photos; they are spectacular. We leave for adventure in the Pacific Northwest and Alaksa in about two weeks. I am even more excited after having the pleaure of your photos.

What type of equipment was used to shoot these?

Gorgeous pictures! I'm loving the top picture with a lady in a down jacket then below a man sitting down with no shirt on. You say Po-ta-toe..... :)

At least he's looking at the glacier! What about the guy in the other lounger with his back to the glacier and his head down? Is he checking his messages or something? How blasé can you get?:rolleyes:

Archived