Princess Cuts 7-Day Caribbean Cruises

happyvalley

Looking over the upcoming Caribbean itineraries into early 2014 it appears Princess is giving up on 7-day cruises with just 3 listed (2 out of Ft. Lauderdale and 1 out of Houston). There's new short 4- and 5-day cruises, which makes no sense for us coming from the West Coast -- just not worth paying the airfare and other costs for such short cruises. We can't take anything longer now owing to work requirements, so 7-day cruises were perfect for us. Very disappointing! Guess we'll have to change loyalties to another line that does offer what we want.

Looking over the upcoming Caribbean itineraries into early 2014 it appears Princess is giving up on 7-day cruises with just 3 listed (2 out of Ft. Lauderdale and 1 out of Houston). There's new short 4- and 5-day cruises, which makes no sense for us coming from the West Coast -- just not worth paying the airfare and other costs for such short cruises. We can't take anything longer now owing to work requirements, so 7-day cruises were perfect for us. Very disappointing! Guess we'll have to change loyalties to another line that does offer what we want.

Sad to say "its all about the money". Princess makes more profit than any other division of CCL. Their diverse itineraries are pricey but desirable to many....and a lot are past passengers.

It is not surprising that they choose to avoid the Caribbean market where competition is fierce and the profit margins are slim to none.

That said, the few Princess sailings during the Caribbean winter season are often sold out weeks ahead of time.

The Royal is doing 7 day cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale all winter of 2014.:D

Because they estimate they can make more per day with other itineraries. Its really that simple.

As noted, price competition among the lines for that market is tight, with a lot of capacity.

Can someone explain why they would not do 7 day itineraries?

Keith

" Can someone explain why they would not do 7 day itineraries?"

They are doing 7 day itineraries to the same ports as last year on the Royal.

They are doing 10 days same as last year to the same ports as last year. They are doing Western Caribbeans and new 3,4 and 5 day cruises because they have an extra ship in the Caribbean this year and they are popular with a lot of people.

They are doing 10 days same as last year to the same ports as last year. They are doing Western Caribbeans and new 3,4 and 5 day cruises because they have an extra ship in the Caribbean this year and they are popular with a lot of people.

Thank you. This makes sense.

Keith

I'm assuming there was a comma after last year...

Ruby 7-day Eastern (in 2013) included Grand Turk.

Royal 7-day Eastern does not.

Royal isn't doing the same 7 day as this year. They've dropped Grand Turk when Royal takes over in favour of an extra sea day. Regal and Ruby will be doing it the next season, Ruby has Grand Turk, Regal doesn't.

Looking at your cruise listory, you have been taking mostly 10 day cruises, so a 4 & 5 day b2b or two 5 day b2b might work

Some of those itineraries are not very inspiring.

example of one four day from FLL:

Day 1 embark

Day 2 at sea

Day 3 Princess Cays

Day 4 at sea

Day 5 disembark

And any of these B2Bs have some things in common:

o A day at sea on the first segment just to get back to FLL

o A turnaround day in FLL

To me, these would be two wasted days.

Please elaborate further.

Keith

Instead of seeing this as "Princess cuts 7-day Caribbean" cruise which is how the thread is titled, I see their move as "Princess offers options for short Caribbean" cruise. This move does not significantly reduce the number of 7-day cruises - and with legitimate reason I think they do this in the year they start Royal and Regal Princess, while at the same time offers more choices in their product offerings. Will it sell? Who knows. We will find out.

Instead of seeing this as "Princess cuts 7-day Caribbean" cruise which is how the thread is titled, I see their move as "Princess offers options for short Caribbean" cruise. This move does not significantly reduce the number of 7-day cruises - and with legitimate reason I think they do this in the year they start Royal and Regal Princess, while at the same time offers more choices in their product offerings. Will it sell? Who knows. We will find out.

So says the Princess Cruises Marketing department... :rolleyes:

Twist it any way you want, it will be hard to convince anyone that does not live close that the new itineraries are better than the old ones.

Twist it any way you want, it will be hard to convince anyone that does not live close that the new itineraries are better than the old ones.

I agree. 7 days is the minimum we would travel for the overall cost. This is very disappointing as it is a favorite of ours for a relaxing getaway. And a 4 day with only Princess Cays, may as well just sail in a circle. Very sad that we may have to look at an alternate line, but gotta do what you gotta do.

Marketing department, yes indeed. I have not even cruised Princess yet as I am trying to find a reason to cruise them (but I think I am getting closer :o), so you are way ahead of me. I only know Celebrity has one ship doing this (out of their fleet of 11 ships vs. Princess one ship out of fleet of 17 ... oh sorry just found out Sapphire also doing some 3-4 day short cruises out of Los Angles next spring... and I am sure people will be complaining too); Royal Caribbean has a pretty good one in Liberty of the Seas doing 4-5 days, plus a Radiance-class out of Tampa doing this, then Disney is doing their typical Disney thing out of Port Canaveral. But of course you don't need to care about Celebrity nor Royal Caribbean nor Disney. Princess is so desperate to try stay competitive that I think they are trying something "different", and I have no clue whether it is "better" or not as you were saying. but I like their move that offers one more choice for people who are looking for this type of shorter Caribbean itinerary, who may not want Carnival, nor Celebrity, nor Royal Caribbean, nor Norwegian, nor Disney ... which I'm sure some people on this board don't care.

Archived