Flight into Fort Lauderdale

acct4woof

We are looking at affordable flights into Fort Lauderdale. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at FLL at 1:05 pm. The cruise embarks at 4 pm and suggests you check in no later than 3pm.

Will we have enough time to shuttle from FLL and check in before 3pm?

Also, our return flight is scheduled to leave FLL at 10:45 am. If we self disembark, will we have enough time to get to FLL by 9:30?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer for a smooth vacation.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You are cutting it way too close by arriving in Ft Lauderdale at 1 PM with the ship leaving at 4 PM.

Remember that you have to claim you luggage and get a taxi to the pier.

I sure hope your plane doesn't have any delays. None of our flights to Ft Lauderdale or anywhere else the last couple of years have arrived on time. And hopefully you are not dealing with connecting flights.

And lifeboat drill will be at about 3:15 -- mandatory!!!

Again -- you should not book a flight home until after Noon regardless if you still do the self-disembarkation. Anything can happen to delay your ship arriving on time AND being cleared by the local authorities before anyone can get off the ship.

Most cruise lines require you to be on board at least 90 minutes prior to scheduled sailing times. Your comments on embarking at 4, and being onboard at 3 don't make sense.

As KK said, you are cutting it way too close. Any problem with your flight, and you are missing your cruise. Standard advice is to fly in the day before.

I will disagree with KK. You can safely catch flights after 11:30 at FLL. Before then is doable, but you get to spend the last few days thinking about all the short cuts you need to take, and worrying about what landmines might cause you to miss your flight.

I would not be at all happy with your flight to FLL. It does not leave any margin of error. One delayed or cancel flight and your vacations starts with you trying to catch up with the ship. Even if insurance covers the costs and you have passports that would often be needed for the flights, it is still no way to spend your vacation. Get an earlier flight, preferably the day before

Remember that delays do not only occur at the airport from which you are departing. Chances are your flight will originate in FL. It can be absolutely beautiful in VA but Florida could be having terrible weather. If that would be the case there is a good chance the flight from FL to Va could either delayed or cancelled. That means the flight you were to get on never arrived in VA or at least not on time. A 30 minute delay does not equate to a 30 minute delay. In addition to passengers getting off the plane and new passengers boarding, the plane has "lost" its place in the take off line and is now at the rear. Add some traffic between the airport and the pier and you will be making arrangements to meet the ship in its first port of call. Spend a few extra bucks and fly earlier.....definitely worth the peace of mind! Flying in a day early is definitely the best idea.

We are looking at affordable flights into Fort Lauderdale. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at FLL at 1:05 pm. The cruise embarks at 4 pm and suggests you check in no later than 3pm.

Will we have enough time to shuttle from FLL and check in before 3pm?

Also, our return flight is scheduled to leave FLL at 10:45 am. If we self disembark, will we have enough time to get to FLL by 9:30?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer for a smooth vacation.

I would urge you not to book the flight to arrive at 1:05 PM on embarkation day. You have to be on the ship by 2:30 PM (90 minutes before the ship leaves) and you are not leaving anytime should the flight be cancelled or delayed. I would recommend that you fly in the day before.

Personally I prefer a return flight of around Noon. No one can guarantee the time you will make it over to Fort Lauderdale for the return flight but as you said you should plan to self disembark.

Keith

Let me start by saying that I infinitely prefer FLL over MIA. FLL is easy to navigate and not as large as Miami. BUT driving from FLL to MIA can be a iffy proposition. The traffic is heavy and often stops for no good reason.

Sure, I've driven up and down that stretch of road hundreds of time with no issues, but I've also hit more than a few bumper to bumper delays.

I'd try to arrive no later than noon--and earlier, if possible; and for a return flight, I'd say 1 p.m. or after would be better.

Happy planning!

Let me start by saying that I infinitely prefer FLL over MIA. FLL is easy to navigate and not as large as Miami. BUT driving from FLL to MIA can be a iffy proposition. The traffic is heavy and often stops for no good reason.

Sure, I've driven up and down that stretch of road hundreds of time with no issues, but I've also hit more than a few bumper to bumper delays.

I'd try to arrive no later than noon--and earlier, if possible; and for a return flight, I'd say 1 p.m. or after would be better.

Happy planning!

Where did the OP say he was sailing from Miami? Miami is never mentioned. EM

Most cruise lines require you to be on board at least 90 minutes prior to scheduled sailing times. Your comments on embarking at 4, and being onboard at 3 don't make sense.

As KK said, you are cutting it way too close. Any problem with your flight, and you are missing your cruise. Standard advice is to fly in the day before.

I will disagree with KK. You can safely catch flights after 11:30 at FLL. Before then is doable, but you get to spend the last few days thinking about all the short cuts you need to take, and worrying about what landmines might cause you to miss your flight.

Thanks for the advice. We are cruising with NCL on Epic in November and our cruise confirmation states arrival by 3 pm. Itinerary says embarking at 4 pm. I will look for a different flight.

Also what no one has mentioned is the brief drive from FLL to the port is now, and until construction at the airport is complete in 2014 or whenever, a little longer due to the detour and road closures. The traffic is heavier using the detour route and that slows down the trip too.

Are you flying from Norfolk? We were taking a Panama canal cruise leaving from Aruba. When we got to the Norfolk airport we were told the plane that was to take us to Newark, NJ then to Miami was still at Newark, hadn't left even though it was supposd to be in Norfolk then. When we explained why we had to be in Miami we were then sent to Pittsburg then Miami. Our flight to Aruba was to leave at 5:30 & we got to Miami at 5. In Miami no one knew where Rich Airlines was it took us a LONG time to find them But, I won't go into everything but our flight finally left after 9:30pm! The ship waited for us and we got on after the midnight buffet had started.

Get an earlier flight or better yet fly in the day before. Then you are relaxed and not tired when you get on the ship.

The airport is not far from the port and you should be able to get a cab for the early flight if you walk off - usually around 8-8:30, but it is safer to have a later flight. We have been on ships that don't get in as early as scheduled. Once we lost an engine and were late getting into the home port. WE were supposed to get into port at 6AM but didn't get there until 9:30! Then customs has to clear the ship before anyone can leave.

You don't indicate when what month you are flying but you are cutting it way to close. We fly a little further than you, from Las Vegas, each January and would never fly in to FLL the day of the cruise. A night in an FLL hotel is cheap insurance to be sure that you make that cruise.

With self-disembarkation you will have no trouble making your return flight.

Archived