Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Really excited for my first solo cruise in two weeks on the Celebrity Reflection. Sailed the Med - Rome to Venice 10 day with my daughter in July on the Silhouette and fell in love with Celebrity. Farewell Princess. Counting the days until breakfast on my balcony and dinner at Qsine. Anyone else travelling solo?

Really excited for my first solo cruise in two weeks on the Celebrity Reflection. Sailed the Med - Rome to Venice 10 day with my daughter in July on the Silhouette and fell in love with Celebrity. Farewell Princess. Counting the days until breakfast on my balcony and dinner at Qsine. Anyone else travelling solo?

Hi, I sailed Reflection last year. Hope you have a great time:)

Are you eating in Qsine on your own? The only reason I am asking is...

it is ALOT of food. Are you chatting on your roll call? Maybe you can

find some other folks who are interested in eating there too:D......

it really is a lot of food for one person.

I have just returned from my first solo cruise to the Western Caribbean on Liberty of the Seas. I had a ball! Actually, we had a very strong ship's roll call, and our own sailaway party, so it made it easier to meet people. I strongly suggest this for your cruise. Yes, dining could be a bit awkward since I like My Time Dining, and sat with different people each night, but it didn't detract from the experience overall. I socialized when I wanted to socialize, and enjoyed the sunset from my balcony with a glass of wine when I wanted to be alone. If you're considering this, and you don't mind being alone sometimes, I recommend this if your friends or spouse aren't available when you want to cruise.

Yay! Congratulations! My first solo cruise was last year to Alaska. I hope you have as much of a blast as I did. DEFINITELY get onto your roll call before you go. I made my decision to go just two months before the cruise but even in that short of a time I wound up with train seat mates and excursion mates from folks I met here on CC. And once on the ship, a group of us from CC changed our dining tables so we could eat together each night.

And Crazytown? I know exactly what you're talking about. I got daily phone calls or texts most of the trip from my mother and two best friends. "Are you okay?" "Are you warm enough?" "Are you being careful?" ... Ummm, 42 years old here, peeps, and have been traveling solo on business trips for years. I think I got this. lol!

Ever since that trip, I have been trying to figure out how I can squeeze another week in Alaska solo into my vacation schedule. I hope you come home feeling the same way!

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi...So glad to find this forum ~ I love to cruise, but being a 55 year old widow I don't always have someone to cruise with. Wanting to do a solo Alaskan cruise ~ after reading this I am thinking it may be time to just go ahead & book it but wondering if my first solo should be a shorter cruise. Any suggestions???

Thanks for the help!

Jackie

Hello, everybody. I've enjoyed reading all of your posts. Thank you to the OP.

About a month ago, I went on my first truly solo cruise, the November 22, 2013, Norwegian Spirit "Canary Island" sailing out of Barcelona, and had a blast. All previous cruises were planned well in advance and ended up being with at least one family member, even if they were not originally booked as such.

I booked this last one less than two weeks before sailing date, because it cost only $640 for an IX guaranteed inside, including fees, taxes, and prepaid gratuities (NCL assigned me a IA room!). I live in the Middle East, so I needed to get slightly expensive short-notice flights to/from Barcelona, but overall still a great vacation value...

I'm 43, and I live my life single and solo for the most part, so cruising solo is a no-brainer. I do understand and sympathize with others who have misgivings about cruising solo. It's easy for me to write "Just go for it!", but I know it might not be easy to do.

One post mentioned being shy in life, but becoming more outgoing when on a cruise, and I think that is also true for me. It might be easier to simply say hello, good morning, or otherwise engage with strangers when I know they're also on vacation - or that their job is to help make sure I'm enjoying my vacation.

I look forward to reading this thread, and I'll post again when I decide to book my next solo cruise.

BTW I sometimes use the Cruise Critics Forums Android app, and post titles do not appear in it.

I hope it's not too much to ask to include sailing information in the body of posts, as well.

Thanks in advance, happy cruising, and Happy New Year.

Edited by jlajr

I am recently widowed and have just booked my first solo cruise. Are there any other solo's on this cruise? I love to cruise, but not sure how much I will enjoy cruising as a solo. Any advice?

Dave

Hi Dave, I am not on your cruise but check out the roll call section

for your cruise. It is a nice way to meet other people on the same

sailing:)

Oh, my condolences to you and I hope you have a great cruise.:)

Hello, everybody. I've enjoyed reading all of your posts. Thank you to the OP.

About a month ago, I went on my first truly solo cruise, the November 22, 2013, Norwegian Spirit "Canary Island" sailing out of Barcelona, and had a blast. All previous cruises were planned well in advance and ended up being with at least one family member, even if they were not originally booked as such.

I booked this last one less than two weeks before sailing date, because it cost only $640 for an IX guaranteed inside, including fees, taxes, and prepaid gratuities (NCL assigned me a IA room!). I live in the Middle East, so I needed to get slightly expensive short-notice flights to/from Barcelona, but overall still a great vacation value...

I'm 43, and I live my life single and solo for the most part, so cruising solo is a no-brainer. I do understand and sympathize with others who have misgivings about cruising solo. It's easy for me to write "Just go for it!", but I know it might not be easy to do.

One post mentioned being shy in life, but becoming more outgoing when on a cruise, and I think that is also true for me. It might be easier to simply say hello, good morning, or otherwise engage with strangers when I know they're also on vacation - or that their job is to help make sure I'm enjoying my vacation.

I look forward to reading this thread, and I'll post again when I decide to book my next solo cruise.

BTW I sometimes use the Cruise Critics Forums Android app, and post titles do not appear in it.

I hope it's not too much to ask to include sailing information in the body of posts, as well.

Thanks in advance, happy cruising, and Happy New Year.

Hi anyone from the UK on Carnival Liberty 1st Feb from Miami?

I am recently widowed and have just booked my first solo cruise. Are there any other solo's on this cruise? I love to cruise, but not sure how much I will enjoy cruising as a solo. Any advice?

Dave

I went on my first ever cruise in November as a solo. I met so many interesting people and had the most fantastic time. Just be yourself, don't be afraid to just say hello and smile! Conversations soon strike up. On my cruise there was a solo meet and greet on the first day, it was good to meet with them however I just did my own thing and found lots of people who wanted to talk to me if I wanted to chat!! At ports I just initially went off on my own but ended up walking with others that were on the buses from the ship. Just hung around with them for a few mins and then toddled off on my own. You'll have a blast.

Ps sorry about your loss :(

Travelling solo on this cruise. First time on HAL. Have sailed solo a few times now since becoming a widow 9 years ago. Enjoy as you wish dining as you get to meet lots of different people. Counting the weeks now. Anybody else travelling solo on this cruise?

I am so happy I found this thread for solo cruisers. This is my first time cruising solo... and I don't think I am scared anymore. I see there are a lot of people that cruise alone and having a great time. I am excited... and counting down the days! :) I hope to meet other people going on the same cruise.

Hi everyone, I have been on a few cruises through Carnival. I am looking to book a cruise sometime in February or March 2014 (although with the weather I am getting I really would like to go sooner!). I have never cruised solo before as I have been fortunate enough to find someone to come along usually at the last minute (but it has usually been stressful trying to get people to come or they say they will then change their mind..it is always something..lol) so I have decided this time that I am going to just go by myself and skip the hassle of trying to find someone to go. I am 38 y/o with no kids and I have lots of vacation time and it is always difficult for me to find people that can actually go on a vacation! Anyone going on a cruise in Feb or March on a Carnival Ship? I have been to most places in the Caribbean except Jamaica and Grand Turk so I was thinking about that cruise....

Edited by sortiz02

Hi everyone, I have been on a few cruises through Carnival. I am looking to book a cruise sometime in February or March 2014 (although with the weather I am getting I really would like to go sooner!). I have never cruised solo before as I have been fortunate enough to find someone to come along usually at the last minute (but it has usually been stressful trying to get people to come or they say they will then change their mind..it is always something..lol) so I have decided this time that I am going to just go by myself and skip the hassle of trying to find someone to go. I am 38 y/o with no kids and I have lots of vacation time and it is always difficult for me to find people that can actually go on a vacation! Anyone going on a cruise in Feb or March on a Carnival Ship? I have been to most places in the Caribbean except Jamaica and Grand Turk so I was thinking about that cruise....

You are so right. Sometimes the hassle of finding someone to go with you -- although it cuts down on the cost -- just isn't worth it. They want to go, they don't want to go, they can't get off work, they can't afford it, they're afraid to be on the water, ..... So much easier to just go solo and enjoy.

I love this thread! I'll be going on my first solo cruise this spring for my birthday this year. I really REALLY want to be on a ship for my birthday and it doesn't look (at least right now) like anyone can join me, so I figured why not go alone? I'll be turning 34 on board and I'm hoping for a fun time.

I was a little worried that a lot of people didn't cruise solo but it's really reassuring to read other people's experiences here with it.

I have a half dozen cruises under my belt but mostly with family. Last summer I sailed an 11 day European cruise solo with Celebrity and I had such a wonderful experience that I'm looking for another European cruise this July. Booking three weeks out usually can find you some good single supplements deals.

Before that I'm also looking at a 7 day Caribbean cruise end of Jan or Feb. There is a nice cruise sailing from San Juan on Jan 25th on Celebrity Summit that I'm considering with a nice 150% supplement this coming Tuesday. Is anyone else on this cruise ?

With the bitter winter we are having in Toronto I'm looking at late Jan to Feb for a cruise on either Carnival,RCCL, or Celebrity. I'm 44 single and looking to get away and meet other solo's.

Sortiz02 - Which Carnival cruise sails to both Jamaica and Grand Turk ?

I have a half dozen cruises under my belt but mostly with family. Last summer I sailed an 11 day European cruise solo with Celebrity and I had such a wonderful experience that I'm looking for another European cruise this July. Booking three weeks out usually can find you some good single supplements deals.

Before that I'm also looking at a 7 day Caribbean cruise end of Jan or Feb. There is a nice cruise sailing from San Juan on Jan 25th on Celebrity Summit that I'm considering with a nice 150% supplement this coming Tuesday. Is anyone else on this cruise ?

With the bitter winter we are having in Toronto I'm looking at late Jan to Feb for a cruise on either Carnival,RCCL, or Celebrity. I'm 44 single and looking to get away and meet other solo's.

Sortiz02 - Which Carnival cruise sails to both Jamaica and Grand Turk ?

Hello fellow Torontonian!! I am looking to escape this weather as well but will have to wait until March! Hope you're able to find a good deal.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm a 28 year old male from Canada booked on the Carnival Conquest on March 9th and seriously considering booking the 6 day Freedom on March 2nd for a b2b with a night in between on South Beach. :)

The Freedom has a great itinerary with Key West and Grand Cayman. I did this itinerary twice last year and the Pub Crawl in Key West on the second day makes it VERY easy for a solo to meet others early in the cruise.

Anyone else going on either of theses cruises? It would be great to know someone else before sailing.

Edited by RCH1234