Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I love this thread! I'll be going on my first solo cruise this spring for my birthday this year. I really REALLY want to be on a ship for my birthday and it doesn't look (at least right now) like anyone can join me, so I figured why not go alone? I'll be turning 34 on board and I'm hoping for a fun time.

I was a little worried that a lot of people didn't cruise solo but it's really reassuring to read other people's experiences here with it.

I have been on many cruises and went on my first solo cruise last month. I discovered that a lot of people cruise solo. It was a good experience and I will definitely cruise solo again.

Evelyn

I am booked on the Oct 25th, 2014 Celebrity Summit. I am going with a large group of singles and looking forward to Halloween. I am also considering the Nov 1 Carnival Splendor from San Juan to Miami as a back to back. Very similar ports but a great itinerary and great roll call so far...

I'm cruising with my 10 y/o son, so I'm basically Solo. We love to cruise. He loves the kids program so ditches me all the time.

Love to meet others when cruising. Have made some wonderful friends over the years!

Reading all of this posts made me not want to cancel a solo cruise I just booked.

I am going on my first solo cruise on the Carribean Princess in April out of Houston. I have cruised over 20 times at least in the last 25 years but this is my first solo. I am going on a cruise that is with a single/solo group. (I was told it's ok to be solo and not necessary looking to be set up.) I did it this way so I do not have to pay the double fees when it is just met. I am scared about sharing a cabin with a complete stranger but you never know, this person could end up being a friend for life.

If I had extra money and not worried so much about being around a bunch of couples and families, I probably would not have booked through a singles/solo group. But I thought all the organize solo activities would be fun.

So why am I sailing solo? I always organize all vacations and pay for my mom, my estranged husband and our kids. Some of the cruises my kids, and foreign exchange kids got in trouble. Some Cruises my mom or my husband is not happy with what I have chosen and complained. On the last cruise this past December, where my husband invited his brother and cousin to go with me paying the deposit for them for the cruise and excursions with a promise that I will be reimbursed. Well that did not happen. I must confess They paid for a big part of their bill minus a few hundred, but on some of the excursions they never even showed up so my credit card was still billed for their spots. So that was more money I was stuck paying. (If I had a lot of money I would be more then willing to pay their way.) Therefore, I thought it is time for me to get away and not have to worry about pleasing or paying for anybody except for myself. I hope all of this does not make me sound too selfish to get away from it all, but I think everybody probably needs a break to get away by themselves.

Reading all of this posts made me not want to cancel a solo cruise I just booked.

I am going on my first solo cruise on the Carribean Princess in April out of Houston. I have cruised over 20 times at least in the last 25 years but this is my first solo. I am going on a cruise that is with a single/solo group. (I was told it's ok to be solo and not necessary looking to be set up.) I did it this way so I do not have to pay the double fees when it is just met. I am scared about sharing a cabin with a complete stranger but you never know, this person could end up being a friend for life.

If I had extra money and not worried so much about being around a bunch of couples and families, I probably would not have booked through a singles/solo group. But I thought all the organize solo activities would be fun.

So why am I sailing solo? I always organize all vacations and pay for my mom, my estranged husband and our kids. Some of the cruises my kids, and foreign exchange kids got in trouble. Some Cruises my mom or my husband is not happy with what I have chosen and complained. On the last cruise this past December, where my husband invited his brother and cousin to go with me paying the deposit for them for the cruise and excursions with a promise that I will be reimbursed. Well that did not happen. I must confess They paid for a big part of their bill minus a few hundred, but on some of the excursions they never even showed up so my credit card was still billed for their spots. So that was more money I was stuck paying. (If I had a lot of money I would be more then willing to pay their way.) Therefore, I thought it is time for me to get away and not have to worry about pleasing or paying for anybody except for myself. I hope all of this does not make me sound too selfish to get away from it all, but I think everybody probably needs a break to get away by themselves.

Hi Ginny,

First of all, I'm so glad you didn't cancel your cruise and I don't think you're being selfish at all. Sounds like some of your previous cruises were very stressful and you were taken advantage of. But moving forward...Congrats on stepping out on your first solo cruise! I also think it's awesome that you're sharing a cabin with total stranger! You are taking really big steps to breaking free...Good for you! It's true, you never know if that person will a friend for life and a great travel buddy. Some people have good experiences with sharing and some have horror stories, but that's their story. I wish you a great experience all around. I haven't shared a cruise ship cabin (I hope too in the future. What's the name of your single/solo's group? My email address is in my CC profile if you don't want to make it public on CC.) but I have stayed in Hostels and shared a room with 8 other females. I've always had a good experience and have even made friends with some people from all over the world. All it takes is just being considerate of other people. Don't forget to let us know how things go when you return.

I would advise you to bring ear plugs just incase your roomie is a snorer and also a bottle of Pure Drop (Wal-Mart) or Poopurri (QVC) or some other type of Toilet Odor Eliminator. A drop or spray in the toilet water, before use, creates an odor shield. I just learned about it and it works great!! Excellent invention. A great thing to have especially when your sharing quarters.;)

Kudos to you!!:)

Edited by Starrgazer50

One of my favorite bars in Cabo , a lot of locals hang out there

Hi GTVCRUISER,

Thanks for sharing. I looked up the website. http://cabobluebar.com/index_files/CaboGallery.htm

Cabo Blue looks very inviting!:) I can see why it's a favorite to you and the locals. Looks like they have Karaoke too. Whenever I get to Cabo I'll be sure to check it out.

Thank you for the encouragement Starrgazer50. The group is listed under vacations to go and I found it on the princess website. The cruise is on the Carribean Princess leaving Houston April 26th.

I actually booked an aft balcony cabin in the very back for this cruise. I love them. I asked them what happens if they can not find somebody to share the cabin with me and they said then I just get it by myself for the price I paid. All they can guarantee is the same sex and a non smoker. They can not base it on anything else like age or likes. I am in my 40s and very active outdoors. I could get somebody completely different. This cruise is a 40 and older solo group.

I have until the 31st of this month to cancel without penalty. I do keep on going back and forth. I don't know why but I do.

My personal email address is ginny1027@yahoo.com.

Thank you for the encouragement Starrgazer50. The group is listed under vacations to go and I found it on the princess website. The cruise is on the Carribean Princess leaving Houston April 26th.

I actually booked an aft balcony cabin in the very back for this cruise. I love them. I asked them what happens if they can not find somebody to share the cabin with me and they said then I just get it by myself for the price I paid. All they can guarantee is the same sex and a non smoker. They can not base it on anything else like age or likes. I am in my 40s and very active outdoors. I could get somebody completely different. This cruise is a 40 and older solo group.

I have until the 31st of this month to cancel without penalty. I do keep on going back and forth. I don't know why but I do.

My personal email address is ginny1027@yahoo.com.

Your welcome, Ginny.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I've only sailed mostly NCL and twice on Carnival but I'm looking to branch out to other cruise lines.

You keep going back and forth because you're a bit nervous, it's new to you. That's normal. It not easy for the first time, but once you do it you'll see it's ok. everyone goes through that. My first time wasn't easy either, but now I'm great! Are you active on your CC Roll Call? That helps as well cause you'll get to meet people who are sailing with you. I'm always active on the Roll Calls and have met a lot of great people. I've been sailing with some or all of them for over 4yrs now. (Our group is called the NuTz.:D) As one person has said on this thread "Just be yourself.":)

I'll be sailing solo in my first aft balcony on the NCL Breakaway 12 day Caribbean Cruise in the next 7 days. I heard its the best cabin experience.

Thanks for the Email Address.:)

Barbara Jean

Edited by Starrgazer50

Your welcome, Ginny.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I've only sailed NCL and Carnival but I'm looking to branch out to other cruise lines.

You keep going back and forth because you're a bit nervous, it's new to you. That's normal. It not easy for the first time, but once you do it you'll see it's ok. everyone goes through that. My first time wasn't easy either, but now I'm great! Are you active on your CC Roll Call? That helps as well cause you'll get to meet people who are sailing with you.

I'll be sailing solo in my first aft balcony on the NCL Breakaway 12 day Caribbean Cruise in 7 days. I heard its the best cabin experience.

I'm always active on the Roll Calls and have met a lot of great people. I've been sailing with some or all of them for over 4yrs now. (Our group is called the NuTz.:D)

Thanks for the Email Address.

Barbara Jean

Barbara Jean, this is off topic but I want to say we have a restaurant

near where I live called "Barbara Jean's" and the food is wonderful:D

Barbara Jean your group sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to join it. I am always active in my roll calls. I even organize group things on and off the ship. Unfortunately never became friends with members after the cruise. :(. Exchanged emails and phone numbers but nothing came about. I even look back at the posts and nobody posts after the cruise except maybe one other person.

Maybe the solo cruise will be a different story. ;-)

Barbara Jean your group sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to join it. I am always active in my roll calls. I even organize group things on and off the ship. Unfortunately never became friends with members after the cruise. :(. Exchanged emails and phone numbers but nothing came about. I even look back at the posts and nobody posts after the cruise except maybe one other person.

Maybe the solo cruise will be a different story. ;-)

Yes, they are a hoot. It took time to get to the stage we're at now. I've been doing this January cruise with them since 2010. Didn't get to sail with them this year due to date conflict. Right now they are on the Breakaway. I jump on once they get back. But I do have one couple from the group in my sailing, plus I've met a few solo's on the roll call that I already keep in touch with via email. Since NCL has the solo cabins, solo presence on the roll call is up. I'm excited about the experience. Though I'm not in a solo cabin, I'm hoping to be kept abreast about the dinner plans etc. by those on my roll call who are.

I'm already booked for January 4, 2015 on the Breakaway and I'll be staying in the solo cabins to give it a try.

Being on a solo cruise just may make a difference because I guess there will be activities to mingle and get to know each other. Hang in there and give it a try.

Barbara Jean

Edited by Starrgazer50

I am going on my first solo cruise on the Caribbean Princess in April out of Houston. I have cruised over 20 times at least in the last 25 years but this is my first solo. I am going on a cruise that is with a single/solo group. (I was told it's OK to be solo and not necessary looking to be set up.) But I thought all the organize solo activities would be fun.

So why am I sailing solo? . . . I think everybody probably needs a break to get away by themselves.

I've been on 3 or 4 singles cruises and 3 solos. I'll be going on my 4th solo this April. Singles cruises are a good option. I've found that a lot of the people in the group are not there to hook up or find a mate. You can be involved in the activities as much or as little as you want. It's a great way to have fun and have dinner companions. Enjoy!

This new thread is for Solo Cruisers to tell people about the next cruise they are planning and for other Solo Cruisers to refer to if they want to know if there will be other Solo passengers on a particular cruise that he or she is planning to book. Please follow the same format so that the posts on this thread will be easy to follow. The name of the ship and date should appear in the Title and then you can write your message in the body of the post. Please be sure to join in and periodically check the "Roll Call" for that Cruise Sailing, as well. Any conversations with other Cruise Critic members are better done on the Roll Call thread rather that this thread since this thread will likely cover several different cruises. Let's see how this works........

Hey Guys, I think the idea of this thread was a fantastic one by the OP. Wondering if maybe we could get back to his original idea.

In the title of your post, put the ship name and date you are sailing.

In the body, write your message.

Seems there's been quite a bit of off topic discussion. Lots of other threads to discuss the other wonderful topics I've encountered on this thread. Just trying to ask nicely