One way flights. UK travellers.

karpela

Hi all.

We are thinking of doing the Eclipse TA November 2014 and then stay in Miami for a week after the cruise.

When I spoke to our UK TA about flights, she said we couldn't use Celebrity flights to return that late, they will only do same or next day.

Pricing up one way flights for this year, the costs are ridiculous!

I did a dummy cost with Choice air and its a third of the price but we can't use Choice air - or can we?

What do others do??

Adele :confused:

Hi all.

We are thinking of doing the Eclipse TA November 2014 and then stay in Miami for a week after the cruise.

When I spoke to our UK TA about flights, she said we couldn't use Celebrity flights to return that late, they will only do same or next day.

I did a dummy cost with Choice air and its a third of the price but we can't use Choice air - or can we?

What do others do??

We are staying a few days after our cruise in Miami and we booked with British Airways independently. Flights were 500 Pounds return. Since you can't book flights so early (your cruise is November 14), you probably have to wait until February next year before you get the chance to know about prices or book a flight.

Andrea :)

We are staying a few days after our cruise in Miami and we booked with British Airways independently. Flights were 500 Pounds return. Since you can't book flights so early (your cruise is November 14), you probably have to wait until February next year before you get the chance to know about prices or book a flight.

Andrea :)

I can do a dummy costing for return flights but we want one flight from Miami to London, as we Sailing to Miami from Southampton.

I can do a dummy costing for return flights but we want one flight from Miami to London, as we Sailing to Miami from Southampton.

Apologies, I thought your cruise starts in Miami. In that case I can't help you. Out of interest how much was the quote with British Airways (or any others) one way from Miami? :)

Apologies, I thought your cruise starts in Miami. In that case I can't help you. Out of interest how much was the quote with British Airways (or any others) one way from Miami? :)

It was well over £1000 each for this November and a return coming home the same day was just over £500 with Virgin.

Adele :(

Hi all.

What do others do??

Adele

Yes and no!!! You can book Celebrity flights BUT only up to THREE days stay. I am not sure why three days but they will not move on that. Unless something has been missed by these boards, Choice Air is still only available for US/Canadian residents.

However, often TAs selling on the TV offer cruise and stay holidays with longer stays in Florida. We cannot mention TS on Cruise Critic but explore your television. Even if they are not promoting the transatlantic, it would be worth enquiring.

Sue

PS If you do book, come over and join us on our Roll Call. It is already active! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826976

One way transatlantic flights are quite often more expensive than return flights.

There are however, a few airlines who do sell one way flights at a reasonable price. Air Berlin (via Berlin or Dusseldorf) fly to Miami and had reasonable prices for one way tickets when I was checking a few months ago. Your connecting flight from Germany to the UK would be on Lufthansa but it can all be booked on 1 ticket through airberlin.com.

Most airlines only accept bookings up to 330 days in advance so you may have to wait a while.

Other airlines to try are Aer Lingus or Iceland Air as I have found reasonable fares on these in the past but this may require a connection in New York as I don't think they fly to Miami.

The other option is to search for a cheap return flight and don't use the return part of the ticket-but make sure you book the ticket starting at Miami to UK and return to Miami as if you do it the other way round and don't show up for the outward journey and try to just use the return part of the ticket this will not work because as soon as you fail to check in for one of the flights the rest of your ticket will automatically be cancelled (hope that makes sense).

Adele

Yes and no!!! You can book Celebrity flights BUT only up to THREE days stay. I am not sure why three days but they will not move on that. Unless something has been missed by these boards, Choice Air is still only available for US/Canadian residents.

However, often TAs selling on the TV offer cruise and stay holidays with longer stays in Florida. We cannot mention TS on Cruise Critic but explore your television. Even if they are not promoting the transatlantic, it would be worth enquiring.

Sue

PS If you do book, come over and join us on our Roll Call. It is already active! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826976

Hi Sue

Penney and Herb (Nickel)!have asked us to join the cruise, we sailed with them on Eclipse's 2011 TA.

We have friends who have a holiday home in Boca who says we can stay there for a few days after the cruise, so I don't think we can use a TA for this.

Suggestions seriously needed!!!

Adele

Hi

We booked separately from our cruise, a one-way flight from Gatwick to Miami (via Tampa) with BA, for our Silhouette transatlantic earlier this year. It was very reasonably priced, I think around the GBP370 per person, however I found this price on one travel website only, if they had not had the offer, we would have had to pay significantly more. I am not able to post the name of the website, however it is a well known site, both .co.uk and .com starting with "e".

You never know, Celebrity may change their attitude towards UK passengers booking with ChoiceAir, before you need to book your flights.

The three day limit seems to be fixed and unchanging, so whether you are from the US or the UK, if you need to stay beyond three days, you can't use Choice Air.

Have you considered flying to New YOrk and doing the return crossing on Cunard? It actually may come out to be cost effective.

We are from Europe, but always book thru an American TA (biggy on-line or by phone). Once we have our Celebrity booking number, we can then use Choice Air. They don't check or care where you are from. You can stay several days before or after cruise, don't know exactly how long is max, longest we did was 1 week before. We did this for a couple of one-ways, flying with Swiss and were extremely happy with price, which was half of a cheap return, accepting that for the cheap tickets we selected (yes you get a choice between different prices with same carrier and different carriers) there were restrictions (non refundable, non changeable, etc) but everything went well. Could talk to Swiss booking office to check everything was regular (I'm a sceptic when it looks too good), reserve seats and received frequent flyer miles (1/2 of the miles for the similar return ticket). Swiss did not offer this half of a cheap return, but only the full fare one-way which was about 3 x what we paid with Choice Air.

Thanks for the different suggestions.

I was thinking that the way to go was to book a return, thanks Simon for the tip about starting from Miami.

I will look at the other options too, especially the 'e' web page :)

We are not booking anything yet tho. It's still in the decision stage.

Adele :)

Hi Sue

Penney and Herb (Nickel)!have asked us to join the cruise, we sailed with them on Eclipse's 2011 TA.

We have friends who have a holiday home in Boca who says we can stay there for a few days after the cruise, so I don't think we can use a TA for this.

Suggestions seriously needed!!!

Adele

Adele

Still worth looking into my suggestion. Some of the rates they offer are so low, it may be cheaper to buy the holte and not use it than buy a retunr flight and not using it. Just a thought!

Another idea: are you likely to do another TA in the other direction? You could buy a return to cover both cruises.

Sue

We have just booked ChoiceAir from Toronto to Heathrow for our cruises in Oct (wine cruise) and November (TA). We were amazed by the price: $345 one way on British Airways. There didn't seem to be any restriction on when we could leave, because my name was spelled wrong on the first cruise so I put in the details of the November cruise when booking for the end of September. In the end I got the spelling changed and used the earlier cruise in order to have the 'get you to the ship' protection, but the person we spoke to on the phone would have had no problem booking a flight a month ahead of the cruise.

Recently we have had good flight deals to UK from Lufthansa and IcelandAir, but they were for returns. We go to UK several times a year, but our Autumn trip is the only one we do one way.

Sheila

Hi all.

What do others do??

I don't think this is right - a friend had their return flight coming back a few weeks later after their Transatlantic last year........I'd get them to check this again, or call the direct sales people direct yourself. They wanted to charge him £20pp on top of the flight charges for the admin but as he is Elite this was dropped.

Let us know how you get on?

The three day limit seems to be fixed and unchanging, so whether you are from the US or the UK, if you need to stay beyond three days, you can't use Choice Air.

:confused: Staying for 2 weeks prior to next TA in Europe, and booked through Choice for both the upcoming trip and last one where we stayed beyond three days. Confused here as have never had several days or weeks denied.

:confused: Staying for 2 weeks prior to next TA in Europe, and booked through Choice for both the upcoming trip and last one where we stayed beyond three days. Confused here as have never had several days or weeks denied.

Our problem is we are from the UK and can't use Choice Air.

Little Britain, I will check again. I asked my TA but I haven't spoken with Celebrity yet.

Sue, I didn't realise you meant to not use the hotel. That's a good suggestion, I'll price it up.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the different suggestions.

I was thinking that the way to go was to book a return, thanks Simon for the tip about starting from Miami.

I will look at the other options too, especially the 'e' web page :)

We are not booking anything yet tho. It's still in the decision stage.

Adele - lots of people use the open returns that overcomes this issue.

You might pay slightly more for the flights, but it's return and the regular TA'ers in the UK use this doing TA's both ways (5-6months apart)

As for the EC TA Nov 14 - we'll be there, there's 22 of us, and none of us have got flights back to the UK yet, don't panic about it.

Drop me an email and we'll keep in touch over the coming months to find those flights back. Certainly not released over 14 months out, which is close.

Anyway for now, I'm off to catch the Silhouette tomorrow.... :cool:

We're obviously UK residents and we've used 1way flights with Choice, and they are very reasonable too. :D

Hi all.

What do others do??

Try Aer Lingus (or Iceland Air) for true one way priced flights. Our flight on Aer Lingus was one of the best across the pond.

Try Aer Lingus (or Iceland Air) for true one way priced flights. Our flight on Aer Lingus was one of the best across the pond.

Aer Lingus does fly to Orlando. If you're comfortable driving in the U.S. a one way rental car from MIA to MCO would probably be ~ $50.

Hi all.

What do others do??

I'm not sure how it works if you book with a UK TA but if you book with a US TA you will be able to use Choice Air for whenever you want.

It's simple and usually cheaper to book through a US agent, there could be some pitfalls (I'm not aware of any) you may want to look into first.

Hi all.

What do others do??

We are doing TA with N.C.L. in October had the same problem with one way flights from Miami managed to find one with American Airlines Miami to JFK to Dublin to Edinburgh £450 good luck

Our problem is we are from the UK and can't use Choice Air.

Little Britain, I will check again. I asked my TA but I haven't spoken with Celebrity yet.

Sue, I didn't realise you meant to not use the hotel. That's a good suggestion, I'll price it up.

Thanks everyone.

Hi; like Little Britain I don't think this right as we took the Reflection TA last November and pushed the return flight back by two weeks with no problem. Our TA rang and asked before we booked and Celebrity said OK and we had to pay a small charge £20 or so. Obviously you could also lose any transfer that may have been included.

Hi; like Little Britain I don't think this right as we took the Reflection TA last November and pushed the return flight back by two weeks with no problem. Our TA rang and asked before we booked and Celebrity said OK and we had to pay a small charge £20 or so. Obviously you could also lose any transfer that may have been included.

Thanks, too late to ring them today, so will give Celebrity a all tomorrow.

Archived