Sticking to one cruise line..why?

tx121

Yes' date=' I definitely agree.

The Princess itineraries are the best for me.

I like the Princess staff. It is especially nice to be greeted by staff members who remember you from before, even long ago:)

I too like the dining options.

Love the Princess shore excursions! Some of the best ever were in Hawaii this year: Mauna Kea Summit, whale watching, and also Movies Made in Kauai. Wow!

Love the Princess aft facing suites, and also the covered balcony mini suites on Emerald Deck.

Since all of these things are so good, I have no inclination to go on other cruises. (I did try others, years and years ago.)

Bon voyage![/quote']

We did the Hollywood and Waterfalls excursion on Kauai in December, booked through Princess. It may have been the best excursion we've ever done.

We definitely have preferences which make us choose a couple of lines over others, but will consider most if itinerary, then price is right. Generally we like smaller ships (under 2,500 passengers) and are not drawn by over-the-top activities: climbing wall, flow rider, ice skating, bowling, bumper cars, etc. are all OK in their place, but quality of food and service are far more important.

The few perks for repeat passengers, while nice to get, are really minor when considering the more important qualities.

I have seen a lot of people only stick to cruising on one cruise line and are very loyal to it. I'm just wondering why? Are the perks that great for repeat guests? I guess some say "If it's not broken, why fix it?"...but doesn't it get boring to see some of the same activities over and over again? The food must get boring after awhile as well. I guess I like variety and try what the different cruise lines have to offer. If the price is right, I'd be willing to go on any cruise line! =)

I can't for the life of me see how the food can get boring. Does anyone really have such variety of meals that they can say "not this again, we had this meal last year"? (Whether at home or on holiday?)

As for activities, my attitude would be that if I enjoy doing something, that's a good reason to keep on doing it - not a good reason to change. P&O is the only line that has cricket, and I like playing cricket. I especially like the format of P&O's syndicate quiz. Should I deliberately travel with someone else just so I can't play cricket and don't get the quiz? I don't see it.

We don't stick to one, but we do pretty much always choose Princess, HAL or Celebrity. We have sailed on others and had no complaints, though one line we won't sail on again. It wasn't "Bad", it just wasn't a good fit for us. Also, we're the highest level on those three lines of their loyalty program and the perks make sailing on one of the three more appealing.

I can't for the life of me see how the food can get boring. Does anyone really have such variety of meals that they can say "not this again, we had this meal last year"? (Whether at home or on holiday?)

As for activities, my attitude would be that if I enjoy doing something, that's a good reason to keep on doing it - not a good reason to change. P&O is the only line that has cricket, and I like playing cricket. I especially like the format of P&O's syndicate quiz. Should I deliberately travel with someone else just so I can't play cricket and don't get the quiz? I don't see it.

Food can definitely get boring on a mass market cruise for people with food allergies or vegans who have limited items they can eat to begin with.

On small ships the culinary team will work with a special diet passenger (anything from allergies to vegan to low carb) and create incredible meals that meet their dietary needs and never repeat. But when they are feeding 500 instead of 5000, this isn't as big of a deal.

I cruise mainly for itinerary and to visit new places, so have never been particularly loyal to any one line. I find there are multiple cruise lines that do similar itineraries, even when they are a bit uncommon (e.g., I have been looking to go on a Black Sea cruise and have considered at least 6 different lines with various itineraries).

I can understand that some people really like and get comfortable with a particular line, and they want to stay with it.

What I can't understand is folks who lock onto a cruise line and then complain about things they don't like on that particular line vociferously. However, when asked why they do not try another line, they "couldn't possibly" switch from their line of choice -- they love it too much. :confused:

I cruise mainly for itinerary and to visit new places, so have never been particularly loyal to any one line. I find there are multiple cruise lines that do similar itineraries, even when they are a bit uncommon (e.g., I have been looking to go on a Black Sea cruise and have considered at least 6 different lines with various itineraries).

I can understand that some people really like and get comfortable with a particular line, and they want to stay with it.

What I can't understand is folks who lock onto a cruise line and then complain about things they don't like on that particular line vociferously. However, when asked why they do not try another line, they "couldn't possibly" switch from their line of choice -- they love it too much. :confused:

I couldn't agree more. If people are upset about a lines quality diminishing or policies being set, why on earth do they continue to sail on them? The only thing I can figure is they think they are getting a bargain with their $1 worth if free drinks and trinkets.

I too am a died in the wool Princess fan and also only stay in their aft suites. I found a product that both the wife and I enjoy, consider good value for the money and has the itineries that we are interested in. In a phrase:

"If it ain't broke why fix it"

AHOY SHIPMATES

HOLLAND AMERICA IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!! FOR ME.

My first long cruise was on HAL due to coincidence and I was pleased,

but then tried several others because of cost, itinerary, length,homeport etc. and for me didn't measure up to what I was looking for.

Eventually HAL was my comfort zone due to the crew and many of the repeat passengers. The staff was friendly and we became good friends with many of them. (We book cheapest outside cabin, tip conservatively,

don't complain too much, learn some Indonesian and Tagalog and thoroughly enjoy ourselves.)

The food suits us but is far from gormet. Wife is a vegetarian and they fix her great meals not on the menu. I constantly complain about the lousy coffee and lack of quality of the groundbeef used in the hamburgers and meatloaf.....but nothing is perfect.

I used to think the other passengers were OLD... now I'm one of them.

HAL has slowly been "Carnivalized" but still the best for me. We enjoy

our cruises ....but don't expect others to feel the same way.

Enjoy... but don't be afraid to SHOP around.

We've completed nine cruises to date and sailed with four different lines. We book based on itinerary, price and time of the year we want to travel. On a couple of occasions, such as the sailing out of Sydney and Southampton, the ships we booked were the only ones sailing on the dates that fit our travel plans.

When checking out itineraries, we will compare Princess, Celebrity and HAL lines, as well as the specific ships, and determine which suits us the best.

Our first cruise was 82 days on Cunard Queen Victoria. We loved it so we decided to try all of their ships. Last year we did 82 days WC on Queen Elizabeth. This year we did 120 days WC on Queen Mary 2. This year the itinerary was very much similar to the last two cruises. We did not want to see the same places, so we did three overlands to the Taj Mahal, the Great Wall, and Victoria Falls. Next year we are doing a 99 days world cruise on the Queen Victoria.

We like Cunard because of their dress code, and most passengers are our age. My husband and I got married on the ship this year. We met the best man and his wife on our first cruise; they were on last year’s cruise as well. Many people we have met on our prior cruises will be on next year’s cruise. So yes, we like Cunard for their services and the people we meet.

M

We have tried other lines, but when we go as a family we always choose DCL now. When we go on adult cruises, we choose other lines. We have taken our kids on one other line, and probably won't again in the near future unless we find a great deal. What works best for some families, doesn't work best for others. Why we love DCL?

1) Our kids love it (Ships, Clubs, Activities)

2) We love the shows and movie theater (but we are Disney people)

3) My kids are familiar with the ship (My oldest two are in their teens now so we trust them a little more)

4) We can carry our own alcohol on board and soda is included so that evens out the cost a little- so we don't feel like we are nickled and dimed like we have felt on other lines

5) We love the rotational dining and the wait staff (three main dining rooms that are included and food is usually great!! More cruise lines are moving towards extra cost dining. DCL has those restaurants but not as many like other lines we have experienced)

6) We love castaway cay!!!!!! Our favorite port!!

7) Did I mention you can carry your own alcohol on board??

8) The whole staff is amazing and friendly!!

9) The ships are well maintained. We have been on several cruises where the ships were worn out and dirty.

10) Staterooms are better than some lines, especially the newer ships :)

11) Fits our age groups (children and adult) for the time being!

12) We enjoy the no smoking!!!

13) Adult areas are not near as crowded as other lines IMO

I completely agree why DCL isn't everyone's favorite though. I am just happy cruising in general though ; )

We recall meeting a cruiser who told us they were bored with cruising. That same person only cruised on a single cruise line...and refused to expand their horizons. Go figure. We have been fortunate to have cruised on 14 different cruise lines (over 70 different ships) and have enjoyed each and every cruise. Perhaps the reason we still love cruising (after nearly forty years of going on ships) is because we vary our cruise lines and itineraries (6 continents so far). As to the frequent cruiser perks, they are nice to have...but not a deal maker or breaker. The best overall perks are probably on Celebrity and the worst perk package is on Holland America (we are in the top groups of both those lines). Princess has so-so perks and RCI is pretty good.

By the way, the HA cruisers are an interesting lot. They treasure their Medallion's (probably made out of tin) and love their Mariner Luncheon.. Just think of it...HA gives us a "wonderful" perk of a free lunch on a sea day. On a 62 day HA cruise we did get 2 cocktail parties as perks (one of them in the Captain's cabin). But on Celebrity, if we did a 62 day cruise we would have had 61 cocktail parties (not on the first day). On Princess they would have given us a single set-up for our in-cabin bar. Most lines give us free internet (various amounts of time) except for HA who gives their best customers zip!

Hank

I have seen a lot of people only stick to cruising on one cruise line and are very loyal to it. I'm just wondering why? Are the perks that great for repeat guests? I guess some say "If it's not broken, why fix it?"...but doesn't it get boring to see some of the same activities over and over again? The food must get boring after awhile as well. I guess I like variety and try what the different cruise lines have to offer. If the price is right, I'd be willing to go on any cruise line! =)

Same reason people may order the same meal at their favorite upscale restaurant. It's a BIG expenditure. When you're spending that kind of $$, it's reassuring to KNOW you'll like what you're getting.

I eventually switched from one line to another, based on a recommendation from someone whose opinion I trusted to be like my own. I might do that again at some point, but for now, I'm happy where I am!! And yes, I do enjoy some perks for loyalty, but obviously not very many, since I've only cruised four times so far with my now-FAVORITE cruise line! :p

To go even further, some people might feel that someone who constantly goes on cruises, or always go on camping vacations, or nothing leaves their state, a person who is limiting their vacation opportunities. And yet, for a person in one of those categories, they see vacation time as being limited so why not do something they know they like. Or they have limited finances so they feel the need to go on a budget-type of trip.

To go even further' date=' some people might feel that someone who constantly goes on cruises, or always go on camping vacations, or nothing leaves their state, a person who is limiting their vacation opportunities. And yet, for a person in one of those categories, they see vacation time as being limited so why not do something they know they like. Or they have limited finances so they feel the need to go on a budget-type of trip.[/quote']

I figure we each do what we want to. I have a sister who rents the same house on the (New) Jersey Shore for the last two weeks of August every year. They have been doing it for 30 years or so. On the other hand, I am found pretty much in any part of the world on a Princess cruise. I would never tell her she is wrong. She is happy. I am happy. I see no problem with either position

I have been a Princess loyalist to the tune of 17 cruises so far, with 2 more booked for later this year.

My reasons for choosing not to try another cruiseline ...

1) I like Princess' itineraries

2) I like the quality of Princess' service, both in my contacts with the CSAs precruise and with the crew members of all levels onboard Princess ships.

3) I like the casually elegant decor of Princess ships, and the accomodations, no matter what category of cabin I choose.

4) I like the food and the dining options offered on Princess ships

5) I have done many Princess excursions, and like the variety available to me.

6) I love the comfort level I have ..... the feeling of returning to a familiar and welcoming place every time I board a Princess ship. I know what to expect, and Princess has not disappointed me.

Elite perks are great, but they are not the reason I continue cruising with Princess.

I just like Princess' product.

ps. ** JMHO **

like most posts state it is comforting! if we try a new restaurant that looks good and turns out not good we won't go back and are only out $100 or so. but I won't spend thousands to find that about a cruise line. Princess fulfills all of our needs

We recall meeting a cruiser who told us they were bored with cruising. That same person only cruised on a single cruise line...and refused to expand their horizons. Go figure. We have been fortunate to have cruised on 14 different cruise lines (over 70 different ships) and have enjoyed each and every cruise. Perhaps the reason we still love cruising (after nearly forty years of going on ships) is because we vary our cruise lines and itineraries (6 continents so far). As to the frequent cruiser perks, they are nice to have...but not a deal maker or breaker. The best overall perks are probably on Celebrity and the worst perk package is on Holland America (we are in the top groups of both those lines). Princess has so-so perks and RCI is pretty good.

By the way, the HA cruisers are an interesting lot. They treasure their Medallion's (probably made out of tin) and love their Mariner Luncheon.. Just think of it...HA gives us a "wonderful" perk of a free lunch on a sea day. On a

62 day HA cruise we did get 2 cocktail parties as perks (one of them in the Captain's cabin). But on Celebrity, if we did a 62 day cruise we would have had 61 cocktail parties (not on the first day). On Princess they would have given us a single set-up for our in-cabin bar. Most lines give us free internet (various amounts of time) except for HA who gives their best customers zip!

Hank

Perhaps HAL does not need to give free drinks. If people cruise for the overall experience, they might not particularly care for little extras.

Archived