"LIVE" from Grandeur of the Seas - July 11, 2013

only thing i am wondering, on this 1 night and the next few cruises is, did they open the solarium at all, on the top? I heard the roof opens.

Yes it does open. I would think it would be open for good weather, but will be interested in hearing from those on upcoming sailings as well. (I know that when it is closed and the weather is bad they may choose to allow children there with parental supervision).

Radio, thanks for the great pics and looking forward to your next live review from the Grandeur. We'll be sailing on her in Dec. Question is there anything at Cafe Latte-Tudes that is complimentary and is there a 24 hours coffee service anywhere like they have on the Explorer.

I'm going to take a wild guess here. Since the ship is sailing from Baltimore I think that particular flag is a replica of the flag that would have been flying at Ft. McHenry back when our National Anthem was written by Francis Scott Key.

Yes, the flag is a replica of the flag that flew over Ft. McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore in the War of 1812.

Francis Scott Key saw the huge flag on the morning of September 14, 1814 and knew the fort had not been captured by the British. The flag replaced a tattered storm flag that had flown over the fort during the previous night's battle. (The weather during the battle was very rainy like it is today in Baltimore!)

Radio,

I want to thank you for your report and your pictures. They are much appreciated and have made me think about another cruise on Royal Caribbean. I have been interested in a return to Bermuda on Celebrity Summit, but sailing again from Baltimore is much less of a hassle than getting to Port Liberty.

Some of your pictures of the cabin's bathroom and of the acrylic ship locators reminded me of what I experienced on Celebrity Eclipse. (Why re-invent the wheel if what works, works?)

I look forward to any other photos or comments you care to post. Thank you again.

I was on the Grandeur the week of the fire. We are returning to do a B2B in two weeks

( july 26th & aug 2nd ). Considering how much damage was done, I am anxious to see

how they accomplished this in such a short period of time. Kevin

We'll be sailing the b2b along with you...looking forward to once again sailing the Grandeur and look forward to sailing with you.

only thing i am wondering, on this 1 night and the next few cruises is, did they open the solarium at all, on the top? I heard the roof opens.

Yes ... I was in the solarium one morning about 10:30 when they opened the roof unannounced. It's really noisy. Until I looked up I thought someone was operating a powerful grinder nearby.

Thanks Radio for the awesome pictures. I love the shot of the flags.

Yes ... I was in the solarium one morning about 10:30 when they opened the roof unannounced. It's really noisy. Until I looked up I thought someone was operating a powerful grinder nearby.

Thanks Radio for the awesome pictures. I love the shot of the flags.

Interesting, wonder if they replaced the motor or something. On the 5/17 sailing I didn't even notice the roof moving until the sun level changed.

Okay this just got me so excited for our cruise on the Grandeur on 7/19. It's the first cruise for us, and since we were first booked for 7/ I was wondering if this was not meant to be. Thanks for the reports and great pics, Radio!

Interesting, wonder if they replaced the motor or something. On the 5/17 sailing I didn't even notice the roof moving until the sun level changed.

That's certainly possible, we were on the 7 day out of Colon, followed by the 3-day to Miami. The next cruise was the TA to dry dock in Europe and I remember my first reaction was wondering if workers on board were already starting to remove the marble facings on the solarium walls.

Hey Radio, I am not familiar with your wonderful work, but having been on the Grandeur the morning of the fire and getting ready to sail her again in Dec. I really enjoyed your posts!!!! I am now very excited and ready to go again!!! Peggy

I was intrigued by this flag that was hoisted this morning at Cruise Maryland. . .”Don’t Give Up the Ship”

A26.jpg

I believe that that is an 1812 flag, along with Admiral Perry's "don't give up the ship" flag, and is a tribute to Baltimore.

Well... I must say, if they continue with this awesome tradition, it will make for an interesting arrival in Bermuda!! :D

Theron

Okay this just got me so excited for our cruise on the Grandeur on 7/19. It's the first cruise for us, and since we were first booked for 7/ I was wondering if this was not meant to be. Thanks for the reports and great pics, Radio!

Oh you are going to have a blast. I love seeing the first cruise experience thru the eyes of others. My friend went on one and kept bugging me saying I would love it. Of course I thought no way, thats for the uppity ups who like shuffleboard and drink tea with their pinkies up. Then I went. What an awesome experience.

Have a blast!

RADIO this is fantastic, THANK YOU! We have an inside cabin on deck 4, so probably the size of yours. See that couch? Thats usually where my pile of clothes to fiddle through, lays for the week, who needs a closet?

Your pictures are fantastic! Have a great time!

How neat.

Archived