Fuel surcharge

Top Dog 1

I think I was gone for 14 days.

Something about still being employed seems to interfere with my vacation desires.

Some day your ship will come in. Or is it out? :)

Research completed. In 2005 could only have been Star Princess 14 days; Europe.

Some day your ship will come in. Or is it out? :)

Research completed. In 2005 could only have been Star Princess 14 days; Europe.

Ok - I had to look it up. I think it was my 2008 cruise that had a fuel charge as I did a Vancouver to LA cruise (7 nights) and then a Mexican cruise after (7 nights) plus pre and post cruise. I usually try 14 nights at a time on a ship as air costs so much from where I live.

In 2005 I did a B2B Alaska and then a Canada NE cruise. I don't remember if there was a fuel charge on those.

I am in my early 40's - I think retirement is at least a few years away.

Ok - I had to look it up. I think it was my 2008 cruise that had a fuel charge as I did a Vancouver to LA cruise (7 nights) and then a Mexican cruise after (7 nights) plus pre and post cruise. I usually try 14 nights at a time on a ship as air costs so much from where I live.

In 2005 I did a B2B Alaska and then a Canada NE cruise. I don't remember if there was a fuel charge on those.

I am in my early 40's - I think retirement is at least a few years away.

Now that I think of it, it must have been 2008, and I believe it was the Ruby. As for retirement, no specific age when you have lots of money. :D

We've never experienced the fuel charge on any cruise line, but we know it is possible since there is a disclaimer on several cruise line websites.

We never did either and we did cruise once each of the years. I recall the possibility of the charge but I guess we missed the short time they had them.

We've never experienced the fuel charge on any cruise line, but we know it is possible since there is a disclaimer on several cruise line websites.

On a Costa cruise out of FLL in 2008 we were notified, after final payment but before embarkation, that a fuel surcharge would be added to our on board account. Costa had not yet added any language to their contract or other materials reserving the right to do that. Upon boarding we received a letter saying the charge had been rescinded. A little research when we got home showed the Attorney General for the State of Florida had gotten involved and forced their hand.

For once I was happy to have a government lawyer "help" me (no offense to all you attorneys out there - after all your profession does have the best lawyer jokes).

Not wanting to add to the supposition fire, but the poster who refreshed the thread may be thinking of the fuel increases coming in 2015 when the full US ECA comes into effect, as witness Carnival pulling out of Baltimore claiming the higher fuel cost. This fuel increase will vary with the home port and itinerary, as it only applies out to 200 miles from US and Canadian coast, so it will most likely be incorporated into fare increases, rather than fuel surcharge. The surcharge is mostly used when the companies fuel derivatives (sort of a futures market for fuel) cannot keep up with sudden price increases.

Now that I think of it, it must have been 2008, and I believe it was the Ruby. As for retirement, no specific age when you have lots of money. :D

I think we may have paid it on our B2B Ruby innaugral, I remember a lot of complaining about it and it was short lived but it's still there on the booking info.

I think we may have paid it on our B2B Ruby innaugral, I remember a lot of complaining about it and it was short lived but it's still there on the booking info.

If you noticed, I said the Ruby. And I think it was the only time. We were on voyage #3, right after you.

Aside: just sent Lynda email re: Florida M & G. Don't have your address. Want to come to this one?

It was added to my b2b cruise and then removed before the cruise. They decided that those who already booked would not be charged. Shortly after that they decided not to charge it at all. :p

It was added to my b2b cruise and then removed before the cruise. They decided that those who already booked would not be charged. Shortly after that they decided not to charge it at all. :p

I think I recall that it was removed prior. So many years; so many cruises. :)

[quote name='Top Dog 1']Thanks for the responses. This was a Princess Cruise leaving in Oct. for the Panama Canal.[/QUOTE]
We will be on two Panama Canal cruises on the Island Princess in March 2014 and there is no fuel surcharge in effect for them

Archived