Mt Time Dining: Thought I'd seen it all.

My wife and I always use My Time Dining and travel with two other couples. We have an upcoming cruise and I always have their reservations tied into mine so I can make the dinner reservations for the 6 of us all at once. We always have a standing reservation for the same time each night so we usually get the same table and wait staff.

Here's the interesting dilemma. I went in to make our MTD reservations two days ago and one of the couples bounced back stating that they already had their own traditional dining time. Well having confered with the couple that they had MTD and had already paid their gratities, as required, and had not set a time for dinner.

So I had the couple call their TA and RC to confirm the MTD option, which they did. Said to try the reservation online again. I did, same problem. I called RC and they stated, after 20 minutes of searching that the TA had booked them as part of a group, which they are not, instead of a seperate reservation and to call the TA and have it changed.

He called and the TA said they could not change it.

Long story short, I called RC again and said all we want to do is eat dinner together at a specific time. Too much to ask, apparently so, and that all we could do was show up that first night and hope for the best. Could they make a standing reservation for the rest of the cruise? She said probably not as all the reserved times would be full by time of sailing.

If you are planning to travel with other couples make sure, if using a TA, that you are an individual reservation and not a group.

Not happy.:(:mad::(

Mac

We did a family cruise last year on RCCL and our 2 cabin reservations were connected. When we checked our sea pass cards for dining room table assignment (we had Traditional Dining), We discovered that we were assigned different tables in spite of our resv being connected! When we went to the resv. desk to make changes, we were among many with the same problem. Apparently RCCL doesn't always get it right either.

If working with a TA is so difficult, why use one? Isn't it easier to avoid the middleman and just book things yourself?

Agree with that... We have never used a travel agent. It is so much easier to deal with RCL directly if there are any glitches. Personally, with computer web sites making it so easy to book vacations, I think that travel agents are going the way of the Dodo bird and will be mostly gone in another 10-15 years.

It sounds like your friends are booked into a group with their TA -more than likely to get a good price or possible perks. Having said that, the TA is able to assign dining for the "group" either early or late. I have had groups where some wanted early, some wanted late, some wanted MTD - it was never a problem. I don't see why the TA cannot get them changed into MTD if they want.

We had a similar thing happen with our cruise on the Oasis last fall. We booked through a TA (good perks) and my sister and her husband booked directly with Royal. We were not able to link the reservations due to this. I called Royal and was also told they could not change it. We just booked our my time reservations for the same time and when we arrived told them we wanted a table for the 4 of us together. Never had a problem.

I agree...I never use a TA...I rather be in control, and accept responsibility if I screw up...

I book everything myself through the website, it's simple...and if needed, I have found calling RCI to be nothing but helpful.

My wife and I always use My Time Dining and travel with two other couples. We have an upcoming cruise and I always have their reservations tied into mine so I can make the dinner reservations for the 6 of us all at once. We always have a standing reservation for the same time each night so we usually get the same table and wait staff.

Here's the interesting dilemma. I went in to make our MTD reservations two days ago and one of the couples bounced back stating that they already had their own traditional dining time. Well having confered with the couple that they had MTD and had already paid their gratities, as required, and had not set a time for dinner.

So I had the couple call their TA and RC to confirm the MTD option, which they did. Said to try the reservation online again. I did, same problem. I called RC and they stated, after 20 minutes of searching that the TA had booked them as part of a group, which they are not, instead of a seperate reservation and to call the TA and have it changed.

He called and the TA said they could not change it.

Long story short, I called RC again and said all we want to do is eat dinner together at a specific time. Too much to ask, apparently so, and that all we could do was show up that first night and hope for the best. Could they make a standing reservation for the rest of the cruise? She said probably not as all the reserved times would be full by time of sailing.

If you are planning to travel with other couples make sure, if using a TA, that you are an individual reservation and not a group.

Not happy.:(:mad::(

Mac

yup, I too found out that TAs do this. Here is my post and thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1878088

Bottom line, I happened to be in my reservation on upcoming Celebrity, the only time I used a TA (for perks) and saw a note, "you are linked to two other travelers". HUH??? I called the big box online TA company to inquire. My booking agent was off, but another gal emailed me and removed me from the linked travelers. I have no idea WHY or how, but from the other CC members, sounds like what happened to your friends. This is BS in my opinion, unless they ask you if they can do that.

I was always under the impression that all cruises booked through a TA were considered 'group' bookings because the TA buys the cabins in blocks and this is why any changes to bookings need to be made through the agent.

Thank you for the suggestions. I think in the future I will try to get my fellow travelers to not use a TA.

Mac

Maybe you just need to all use the same TA. You would likely cause them to lose some perks by asking them to book directly with Royal.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was always under the impression that all cruises booked through a TA were considered 'group' bookings because the TA buys the cabins in blocks and this is why any changes to bookings need to be made through the agent.

While it is true that the agent "owns" the booking and all changes, corrections and the like must be made through the agent (which is why some miss out on price drops if the agent is unavailable), they are not all group bookings. Of course, the agent gets special rates and perks if they do book a group, I don't think they should do this without advising the client.

Not all bookings thru a TA are group bookings.

Any res made thru a TA is owned by the TA - not just groups - therefore any changes go thru the TA.

The OP's friends, even tho booked in a group booking, should be able to sign up for MTD - but won't be linked with the OP since the OP is not in the group. However, that shouldn't be a problem getting MTD reservations together.

If you all have MTD, then show up together....you'll be seated together. If you want to make standing reservations for the rest of the cruise, do so that 1st evening. This problem is not insurmountable at all.

It shouldnt be a problem to link reservations together- it does not matter who owns or made the booking. I have had bookings linked together that were made by different agents, the appropriate forms need to be faxed, no big deal and can be done. As for MTD, reservations just do not need to be linked (b/c there are no assigned tables made prior to embarkation) and altho I am an advocate for making mtd reservations before leaving, truth is it is still hit or miss and your best bet is to go to the MDR when you board to confirm or make your request face to face. And it is definitely not true that all agents put clients into 'groups', Id never.

I was not the happiest of camper last month when we boarded and went to check our MTD reservations (that we made online prior) and were told that they did not have a record of them.....#SMH Glad I had it printed out, but you really do not need to have a sheet of paper and they quickly worked out our request.

OP, Smile. Be Happy. There is nothing to be :( about. This does not mean you will not enjoy dinner with your friends every night..Have a wonderful cruise!!! :)

Not as a recommendation to others to use a TA as we all have our preferences, but to echo the comments that not all TA's book their guests as part of a group.

Some may, and when it is done you should certainly be advised as it can affect stateroom selection as well as be a source of any perk that may be offered. Since non cruise line associated perks only come from group booking related credits or from the TA's direct commission, there often are other associated restrictions of which they should make you aware.

IMO, communication and individual service level is the main factor in the measure of the quality of the TA. Over the years we have booked directly as well as - in the past decade plus - through a TA, and have been very satisfied working through the TA.

As example, she knows us well and understands our preferences, checks proactively for price reductions, and prepares all of our on-board documentation and check in material. And anytime we have a question or if there should be an issue, she handles it directly and effectively. Our bookings are not part of any group and are always properly linked with others that may be in our party. We also typically don't receive - nor expect - any commission based perks as her personal service level is the measure on which we base our business with her.

Again, this is just what works for us.

Archived