Does anyone know which ships to Hawaii will have hula and ukulele lessons?

PunkiC

We want to do this cruise again this winter but would be very disappointed if we found ourselves on a cruise without hula and ukulele lessons.

I thought that I read that Elua was doing something else this winter, but does anyone know what they will be doing, or who will be providing the Hawaiian experieince on which Princess cruises?

We want to do this cruise again this winter but would be very disappointed if we found ourselves on a cruise without hula and ukulele lessons.

I thought that I read that Elua was doing something else this winter, but does anyone know what they will be doing, or who will be providing the Hawaiian experieince on which Princess cruises?

We have never been on a cruise to Hawaii w/o someone giving hula lessons. And only once has it been Elua.

We have never been on a cruise to Hawaii w/o someone giving hula lessons. And only once has it been Elua.

Pia, ELUA have been doing this on the Golden forever... Loads of hula lessons! I have done this cruise four times, once on the Sapphire and three times on the Golden. ELUA makes such a difference and they are now on the Star.

We were on the Grand out of SF this APRIL and there were Hula, uke, and creating lei lessons on board. We are doing this tour again late November. I would like to know who will be offering these again (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

I took hula lessons on the Golden Princess sailing to Hawaii in November 2010.

I also took all the lei making classes offered.

I recommend both of these.

The Golden is switching itinerary to the South American one. The Star Princess is taking its place and will have Elua on board for this upcoming season.

Hopefully Princess has paid attention to comments about how wonderful the Hawaiian cultural program has been on the Diamond and then the Golden ever since Elua was hired and will make sure the other ships going to Hawaii will have the activities and seminars too.

The Golden is switching itinerary to the South American one. The Star Princess is taking its place and will have Elua on board for this upcoming season.

Hopefully Princess paid attention to comments about how wonderful the Hawaiian cultural program has been on the Diamond and then the Golden ever since Elua was hired and will make sure the other ships going to Hawaii will have the activities and seminars too.

We know how important a Hawaiian program is when sailing to Hawaii. We sailed on the Golden out of LA in 2010 with Elua' date=' followed with the Star in 2012 from SF WITHOUT Elua. What a difference, and a great disappointment! By contrast with the Golden and Elua, there was little, if anything to set the Hawaiian mood. We could have been sailing to Bulgaria...European dancers, etc. Our final comments reflected our disappointment...and we weren't alone.

In October we will sail on the Sapphire to Hawaii and South Pacific. I'm hoping there will be appropriate music and entertainment to "set the mood". [/color']Every little thing...even the deck personnel wearing aloha shirts is noticed and appreciated.

Aloha to all!

Princess just Tweeted the following link about the Aloha Spirit Program: http://www.princess.com/learn/destinations/hawaii/cruises/aloha_spirit/index.html

but note the disclaimer in small print on the page: Note: Activities available vary by ship

I'm on the Grand on December 20th. What type of Hawaiian activities will they have? I looked at the link but it's hard to know which ones will be on our cruise. What kind of weather might we expect in Late December, early January?

Tom:)

I'm on the Grand on December 20th. What type of Hawaiian activities will they have? I looked at the link but it's hard to know which ones will be on our cruise. What kind of weather might we expect in Late December, early January?

Tom:)

Tom as you know I am on the ship with you. I took this cruise out of LA in 2009. We had drizzly weather leaving LA and the first day going to Hawaii was on the chilly side. It then started to warm up and the island were great weather. Had a beach day, swimming and all. Maui was even on the Hot side the day we were there. The return trip was about the same with the last two days cooler. These were Ensenada and the trip back to LA.

Our trip will be cold leaving SF as you know. I expect going to Ensenada first will warm us up quick and by cutting across from there warmer. I would think the last two days coming back are going to cool off on us fast and SF will be down right chilly when we get back. Just my thoughts.

Pia, ELUA have been doing this on the Golden forever... Loads of hula lessons! I have done this cruise four times, once on the Sapphire and three times on the Golden. ELUA makes such a difference and they are now on the Star.

Nina, I don't understand what you're trying to tell me. The OP wanted to know whether or not to expect hula lessons, not by whom. My response was that every Hawaiian cruise I've been on has had hula lessons, though only once by Elua. I have also never been on the Golden to Hawaii.

Pis, all i was trying to say is that Leialoha gives great hula lessons. Sorry that did not come across well. my phone also automatically capitalizes Elua's name and since I am lazy... Also, from what I have seen, the Hawaaian atmosphere on the Golden was great but not so much on the Sapphire. I most definitely did not mean to offend you and I do apologize. I now will shut my big mouth and wait for your live from (impatiently might I add$.

PunkiC, you should have a great time on the Star!

I can only speak of my experiences. On my NCL cruise around the island, there was only one hula lesson because it is a very port intensive cruise. It was taught by a dance crew member.

On the other hand, we learned 3 hulas and 3 ukulele songs with Dave Cole, David and Leialoha on the Golden this past February. Unfortunately, you could only participate In one or the other for the showcase. Ukulele and hula lessons were given at different times on sea days so you could do both. It was a busy day. Then Elua would do sail aways and almost always had Piazza time. Leialoha would invite the hula dancers to "come on down".

I purposely chose the Golden because I wanted to be immersed in Hawaiiana. There were great lectures and lots of other activities. Leialoha has speciality leis available almost every morning. The staff lead two lei classes (one flower, one ribbon). These tickets went fast. I even taught my roll call group how to make yarn leis.

I felt so much at home on this cruise. I miss the islands so very much. Now if the restaurants would only serve spam! Take the Star voyage.

I understand that the person(s) who replaced Elua on the Golden last spring when they went to Japan, we're also good. Elua and David Cole were the ones to design the Hawaiian Cultural experience. I can not say enough great things about this combination. Hope they will be together again for this season.

Displace local girl.

Pis, all i was trying to say is that Leialoha gives great hula lessons. Sorry that did not come across well. my phone also automatically capitalizes Elua's name and since I am lazy... Also, from what I have seen, the Hawaaian atmosphere on the Golden was great but not so much on the Sapphire. I most definitely did not mean to offend you and I do apologize. I now will shut my big mouth and wait for your live from (impatiently might I add$.

PunkiC, you should have a great time on the Star!

Sometimes I react too much too soon too. How's that for three "too's" in one short sentence? Punki and spouse will enjoy whatever they book. They DANCE! :D

On the Sapphire in spring 2013 the cruise staff taught ukulele, hula, and lei making.

The passenger performances at the end of the cruise were fab! Especially ukulele.

Not to worry if you can't be on the cruise with Elua.

Aloha!

I can only speak of my experiences. On my NCL cruise around the island, there was only one hula lesson because it is a very port intensive cruise. It was taught by a dance crew member.

On the other hand, we learned 3 hulas and 3 ukulele songs with Dave Cole, David and Leialoha on the Golden this past February. Unfortunately, you could only participate In one or the other for the showcase. Ukulele and hula lessons were given at different times on sea days so you could do both. It was a busy day. Then Elua would do sail aways and almost always had Piazza time. Leialoha would invite the hula dancers to "come on down".

I purposely chose the Golden because I wanted to be immersed in Hawaiiana. There were great lectures and lots of other activities. Leialoha has speciality leis available almost every morning. The staff lead two lei classes (one flower, one ribbon). These tickets went fast. I even taught my roll call group how to make yarn leis.

I felt so much at home on this cruise. I miss the islands so very much. Now if the restaurants would only serve spam! Take the Star voyage.

I understand that the person(s) who replaced Elua on the Golden last spring when they went to Japan, we're also good. Elua and David Cole were the ones to design the Hawaiian Cultural experience. I can not say enough great things about this combination. Hope they will be together again for this season.

Displace local girl.

On the Sapphire in spring 2013 the cruise staff taught ukulele' date=' hula, and lei making.

The passenger performances at the end of the cruise were fab! Especially ukulele.

Not to worry if you can't be on the cruise with Elua.

Aloha![/quote']

Took part in the passenger hula/uke show the last day of the last two cruises we went on (I was the one hiding in the third row:o). Glad to hear these activities were also available on the Sapphire.

Another vote for any ship that has this couple on it period! Did the Golden to Hawaii with them and they made the sea days great. On the Golden again to Hawaii and on to the South Pacific but sadly they won't be. Would have made a good homecoming great.

Archived