How to cruise with another couple?

SeagoingMom

We've traveled with family and friends many times. On the Grand Med, we did make advance plans as we shared expenses for private drivers. In Roatan, I booked Victor Bodden's private tour for 12 of us and he was our driver for the day! If we have grandchildren, I book Nachi Cocum in Cozumel for all of us.

However, most of the time, we simply meet for dinner. Our rule is that no one feels obligated, no one has hurt feelings and everyone is free to go their own way should they wish to do so. For some reason, cruising has always worked much better for us than trying to herd a bunch of people on land vacations.

I am glad for those of you that several couples work. I have only done this once with friends and will not do it again. My one suggestion is not to get staterooms too close to each other. I would not like running into someone I know every time I walked out of the door.

I did travel with my dd, sil and granddaughter once and that worked out well. But with me as half a couple and a second couple, not very happy experience.

We travel to the cruise port together and also book pre/post cruise packages together. Depending on the hotel, we often share a hotel room on the pre/post cruise packages.

Once onboard, we sometimes agree to meet for breakfast but, usually, we just look for each other at whatever time we go to breakfast. We usually end up running into each other at some point during breakfast. After breakfast, we each go wherever we want to go. Oftentimes, we are both interested in hanging out at the main pool so we'll go together. If we split up, we keep an eye out for each other whenever we move from one place to another. For example, if we decide at some point to move from the main pool to the back deck, when we get to the back deck we look around to see if our friends are there.

Yes, we spend a lot of time with each other but we have a lot in common and really enjoy each others' company. We've been friends for over 35 years.

All of the people that we've ever cruised with were people that we spent time with socially before ever cruising. I wouldn't cruise with any other couple that I didn't spend time with socially on a normal basis. I believe that is a recipe for disaster!

We have cruised with our best friends and with two other friends and have found that we do the same things and different things. We do anytime dining and let the others know when we are headed to eat and vice-versa. We always know what everyone is doing by supplying everyone with the little radios. They work fine on the ship and it lessens knocking on doors or calling for messages.;) We have had adjoining balconies once and it was ok but this next time we will be several cabins apart by choice of cabin criteria. Meeting for sure for dinner and then sharing a table for 8 is great, then everyone can find something to talk about with someone. My DW and the other two ladies did things in ports and I did my own thing and we did some things together, again the radios work great around ports.:p A cruise is supposed to be relaxing and I wouldn't be relaxed if I were trying to time everything to go with someone else's idea of fun and relaxing. As it is I am running all over the ship trying to do what I want to and still not getting it all in.;)

While this wasn't for a cruise, I had some bad experience when traveling with some friends on a recent land vacation. It was only for 2 nights and I had hoped to feel like we would be better friends after the trip, but ended up feeling like we are not as good of friends now! I traveled with my boyfriend, my best friend (who I've traveled with in the past on many occasions and have no problems with) and two other friends/co-workers. I realized that we had different interests and didn't mind breaking apart for part of the day and hoped to meet up around dinner time.

My boyfriend and I are more interested in seeing places, participating in excursions, and getting the most out of our trip. For instance, we toured the island we were on, went on a segway tour, and went kayaking in one day! Normally, we wouldn't do this much all in one day but we only had a short vacation time and wanted to make the most out of it. The two friends that we went with wanted to spend most of their time drinking, swimming at the pool, and trying to pick up guys.

I didn't mind splitting up for the day, but when it came time to meeting up for dinner, they were always late, and in most cases ended up being so drunk that it was difficult to have a conversation with them! On the last day of our trip, we were supposed to all spend the day shopping together, but they both ended up leaving early since they were so hung over.

What I learned from this experience? Well, some people make good travel companions and some don't. While I don't think we should have to always do everything together, maybe it is best to establish ahead of time to meet up for dinner every night. I tried to do this and for both evenings, the other 2 were over an hour late and we ended up killing time, waiting for them to show up. I am glad that it was just a shorter vacation and not a cruise, as I doubt we would still be friends by the end of it (plus, I would tell them flat out that if they didn't meet me on time, to not meet me at all for the remaining nights!)

Also, my best friend who I've never had problems with in the past? She spent a lot of time with the other two friends by the pool, swimming and drinking, but she was always right on time when meeting up for dinner, and spent the other half of her time with us, touring around the island. I'll always know that she is a great travel buddy! :)

We are going on our 17th cruise with our very close friends. We also live in the same town and see each other all the time. We all have the same interests. We always get balcony cabins next to each other so that the petition can be opened between cabins and gives us more space. When getting ready to go out of the cabin we just meet on the balcony rather than call the cabin to see if everyone is ready. We always talk about what we are going to do and we have the rule that if we want to do something and they don't they don't have to but we usually end up doing the same thing. We are fortunate because we are such good friends so we have never had a problem. Talk things out before you make an investment in a cruise because there is a lot of together time but the ships today are so big with so many different things to do you should be able to work things out. Have a great time. Cruising is the best.

People suggest having a conversation prior to the cruise about not spending ever waking moment together.

We have dear friends where the above conversation would hurt their feelings. They want to do everything with us and we do enjoy doing the same sort of things so it's almost impossible to say we don't want to do everything with them.

Land trips with them are perfectly fine. Cruises would not be. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

If you care to share more, why would land trips be OK for you and your friends and cruises not? (I didn't get how what you described would lead to that conclusion...)

I ask this because I have a feeling my DS and BIL will be more like the friends you describe than not...

Thanks!

We are going on our 17th cruise with our very close friends. We also live in the same town and see each other all the time. We all have the same interests. We always get balcony cabins next to each other so that the petition can be opened between cabins and gives us more space. When getting ready to go out of the cabin we just meet on the balcony rather than call the cabin to see if everyone is ready. We always talk about what we are going to do and we have the rule that if we want to do something and they don't they don't have to but we usually end up doing the same thing. We are fortunate because we are such good friends so we have never had a problem. Talk things out before you make an investment in a cruise because there is a lot of together time but the ships today are so big with so many different things to do you should be able to work things out. Have a great time. Cruising is the best.

17 cruises together! WOW!

Thanks for your insight -- it sounds like your arrangements suit you perfectly! I would be a little uncomfortable having my traveling companions so close to me (next balcony), though I do think the idea of having that double balcony space would be attractive!

DH and I shared a hotel room with my DS and BIL years ago, and that worked out fine for a couple of nights -- but my DH and I have gotten used to cruising as a romantic getaway, so we would want our space and privacy, and so, I think, would my DS and her husband.

We might try to get nearby cabins just for convenience, and then see how things went. We might at some future time go toward adjoining cabins.

I just got back with a cruise with my husband and daughter, his parents, and his nephew. We met for dinner every night, as was expected, but they also made me feel very guilty if I didn't want to do the formal sit-down breakfast and/or lunch in the main dining room every day. Some mornings I wanted to sleep in (like on our days at sea) and just grab something from the buffet, but my MIL seemed disappointed when I didn't join them. Plus we had spa accommodations, and I felt like I had to explain myself why I wanted to go to the whirlpools and steam rooms instead of joining them for trivia contests.

I love my husband's family dearly, but I wish his parents hadn't expected us to spend EVERY SINGLE MOMENT with them. So my advice, like everyone else seems to agree on, talk it out before you go!!!

I really had to think about this, because even though we have cruised 6 times so far, we really have only done one cruise on our own, and we had so many great, GREAT roll call members, it seemed like we had been freinds forever and just showed up on the same ship.:D We did more with that group than we had done with our friends when we cruised with them.

Rule # 1-have dinner together, talk over your day, spend quality time in an unrushed setting to be, BE with your family.

and truly that is my only rule-BUT-here is where it gets sticky,- filling in the other 22 hours.

I do not want to know what my friends do in the bedrooms. I hope they are passionate and sleep well. I hope that if they can smile all day and want to throw knives in others backs that I do not have to hear any of it, and I dont want to hear them snore either. That said, for 5-7 days I dont think they want to know what goes on with me either. So as far as cabins, same deck yes-next to each other-no. I am not pleasant 24/7. I'm not. I dont know anyone who is, so not being in each others breathing space sometimes is a good thing.

What do you like to do for shore excursions? You really need to talk this one through with your family. Examples-our honeymoon cruise-traveling with our best friends-they hate the beach-we are on a Caribbean cruise. Do you see a slight problem with this set up? DH and I are beach bunnies(large overweight beach bunnies) but we love water. The husband of the other couple wanted to try scuba-so in Cozumel he and my DH went scuba diving. I did a tour of the island with the wife.- In Roatan, they went off and visited the monkeys-I hate monkeys-and we were low on funds, so DH and I enjoyed blissful quiet hours in the pool.

In Grand Cayman we all wanted to see water life, so we took the submarine. In Belize, they stayed on board, and we went snorkeling off Goff's Cay. We all got to do something that we wanted to do, and we didn't have to be together 24/7. They wanted to see the shows, we couldn't care less-sorry I work for a theatre, and orchestra, just didn't feel the need to be there, but they live out in the country-and dont get to town much-so ask them what do you want to do while you are on shore? What do you want to do at night-if they want a show, and you don't then say, well we are not really interested in the show, so how about we meet up with you at the coffee pot on the lido, around 10 and plan some late night action.

They are excited about going, so the more information you can give them, the more knowledge of what they want to do will be avialable.

That said, I have two cruises coming up because friends have asked me to go.

Cruise # 1-a mom and her 20 something daugher-fair skinned they do not do much beach-cruise ports were changed, now it's Nassau and LSC. They dont do beach, so why they didn't let us change this when we could, I will never know. There was supposed to be another couple joining us, and they had to cancel cause a baby (grandtwins) were due the week before. So cruise 1-have you checked out the shore excursions? No. -Well in Nassau, we are going to the Sheritan, and swim in their gorgious pools, you are welcome to join us. This is the cost, and we enjoy this place. Now the ball is in their court. IF they want to join they can, if they really could care less, then then can start doing their own research. Turns out the pale people want to chill by a nice pool, or so they have said so far.

Cruise # 2 coming up is with the boss, her cabin mate, and the other couple that had to move their cruise. Again they show no interest in the cruise. I could email about the ports, the excursions, the food, the days until our next cruise, and I get zip. These folks have not cruised before, they want it to hit them like a ton of bricks. Again however, we will meet for dinner on the ship. It helps to plan cruising with people, if they are as excited as you are about cruising. Get them super involved with information before the cruise-if thye see stuff they want to do, you may just have to have dinner with them.:)

If you care to share more, why would land trips be OK for you and your friends and cruises not? (I didn't get how what you described would lead to that conclusion...)

I ask this because I have a feeling my DS and BIL will be more like the friends you describe than not...

Thanks!

We are going to do the same things our dear friend enjoy anyway on land based destinations -- hang out in bars, meeting new people, & chatting with others AND having dinner in very nice places. No problem for us to always do these things together.

On cruises we enjoy doing more than that and it really would hurt their feeling if we just left them to do what we wished. :o

LuLu

~~~~

What I learned from this experience? Well, some people make good travel companions and some don't.

I think this is a critically important point. You can have all the conversations about boundaries you want, but circumstances often color or change the best of intentions.

Know yourselves and your needs first, and know the others as best as you can, then project whether or not your needs/desires/styles/etc. will mesh well.

We often travel with others but we've had mixed results, usually because of mismatched values.

One of our cruises was with family and two with another couple (different couple each time). In the case of the two couples, we chose to travel together because we like and respect each other and enjoy doing things together. We communicated a lot before the cruise about expectations - this is crucial IMO. We chose one excursion ahead of time to do together and one for each couple alone. We did have dinner together each night , except in one case where the other couple went to the specialty restaurant back we chose not to. We did some things together and some things separately.

It depends. (How's that for a totally vague answer?)

If all involved are easy-going sorts, who are happy to do their own thing rather than be fused at the hip, it can be great. However, if the couples have differing ideas concerning the amount of togetherness that is expected, it can be a nightmare.

You'll be forced to compromise on every decision - excursions, dining times, shows, etc., in order to settle on something EVERYONE wants to do, rather than each couple choosing their own preferences and intersecting where it makes sense.

And I totally agree with EuroCruiser. Sometimes, what people say up-front, and what people demonstrate as the planning progresses, fail to jive. Talk about expectations in DETAIL (review possible excursions available on the cruise you're considering, discuss dining times/venues, etc.) BEFORE you book. I speak from experience!

Somehow I think your experience sounds most like what I imagine a cruise with my DS and BIL would be like -- except for the part where she and he would indicate they did not want too much togetherness! I think we would be the ones to be doing that -- just enough togetherness, but not too much. The idea of meeting for drinks in the evening and then deciding what to do later sounds like a good one. That and ascertaining whether we would all four meet up the next day at, say, dance lessons or the promenade deck (or jogging track) sounds about right for us.

The fact that the other couple is family also might make it a little more tricky. That's what happened in my case. The initial plan was just to have dinners together, but otherwise do our own thing. But the relatives (in your case it would be the sisters) in reality wanted more togetherness than they initially indicated. Maybe they didn't THINK they'd want that much togetherness until plans were underway. When the excitement kicked in, going separate ways was suddenly no longer an option. That left the significant others being kind of dragged along, without having much input.

I would consider traveling with others again in the future, but I'd be more aware of the possible pitfalls and address them before making definite plans. (Sorry if this sounds really negative! Just meant to be a heads-up, not a "Debbie Downer"!) :p

I just got back with a cruise with my husband and daughter, his parents, and his nephew. We met for dinner every night, as was expected, but they also made me feel very guilty if I didn't want to do the formal sit-down breakfast and/or lunch in the main dining room every day. Some mornings I wanted to sleep in (like on our days at sea) and just grab something from the buffet, but my MIL seemed disappointed when I didn't join them. Plus we had spa accommodations, and I felt like I had to explain myself why I wanted to go to the whirlpools and steam rooms instead of joining them for trivia contests.

I love my husband's family dearly, but I wish his parents hadn't expected us to spend EVERY SINGLE MOMENT with them. So my advice, like everyone else seems to agree on, talk it out before you go!!!

Yes, if I were cruising with my MIL, I believe the experience would be totally different. I would then take the advice that a lot of posters have given to make sure everyone had absolutely no expectations except perhaps dinner together. My MIL is much more controlling than my DS, so I think we will be very relaxed with my Sis.

I have cruised with other couples and with my whole family in the past. What seems to work universally ---- arrange a meeting for breakfast in the mornings... Breakfast at ......... restaurant or buffet, and at ...... hour... If the others are there, fine, if not the day goes on and we all do our thing.... General agreement before the cruise for dinner. We always tend to meet at precisely the appointed time for dinner and no exceptions. Anyone late does not get included the next night.... It all works great for us and makes us anxious to see one another to get caught up on the day's activities of each of us....

I checked on the Family Cruising board to see if there were any threads on this topic, but that board seems mostly oriented to families with children.

I would like to hear from folks who have cruised with one or two other couples (no children.) My husband and I are considering a cruise with my sister and her husband. We all like each other and get along well, but DH and I have never before cruise with anyone, and we wonder about the logistics. DH and I have cruised so far to have romantic get-aways, but have also felt that it might be fun to have some company, as this cruise would provide.

For those of you who have cruised with one or maybe two other couples (relatives or friends), how did you work out things like meeting up, how much time to spend together, cabin choices (proximity or no? adjoining or no?), planning excursions, fixed or anytime dining, communicating with each other, etc.?

I am not even sure what questions to ask, so I will let ya'll fire away with any insight you may think would help us.

The only thing I know at this point is that it sounds like my sister and her husband would not be going on the same sorts of excursions, generally, as DH and I would be -- they seem to have different interests than ours in most ports.

I want to figure out how to spend enough time together without spending too much time together! Needless to say, I want all of our relationships to be as good or better after the cruise than before!

I have done a lot of cruising with family, but, to this point, no friends. Although I have tried to interest some of our friends in going ANYWHERE with us, no one has signed on.

Most recently, my husband and I just returned from an 8 day river cruise with my brother and his wife. We had fun. 'Laughed 'till I cried'-type moments. I am not saying every moment was wonderful, but in general, I would definitely do it again. As of matter of fact, in January, we are taking our adult children and one grandbaby on a family cruise to the Caribbean and will be joined by my brother, his wife, their son and my sister. We will have a large group and I am anticipating having a spectacular time.

I think it is all about expectations. What is really important to you might not be important to those with whom you are traveling. Probably good to discuss likes and dislikes BEFORE you go. Early dining, anytime dining, late dining, specialty restaurants...so many choices and with each traveler comes an opinion.

Eating meals together is a good way to share time and plan other memory-making moments. Exploring during shore excursions is fun, but, again, probably good to discuss how that might look and feel BEFORE getting on the boat.

We did not spend every moment together. But, we spent most of the time together....isn't that why you would go with someone in the first place? To enjoy their company?

Which leads me to my last point. If you don't have a relationship with the friends or family that works on land, it's not going to work on the water either. Traveling can be stressful for some people. If you and your husband have a rhythm to your movement and enjoy your private time, and your travel companions are whiny, clingy, needy and not able to be spontaneous and joyful....well, bummer.

I checked on the Family Cruising board to see if there were any threads on this topic, but that board seems mostly oriented to families with children.

I would like to hear from folks who have cruised with one or two other couples (no children.) My husband and I are considering a cruise with my sister and her husband. We all like each other and get along well, but DH and I have never before cruise with anyone, and we wonder about the logistics. DH and I have cruised so far to have romantic get-aways, but have also felt that it might be fun to have some company, as this cruise would provide.

For those of you who have cruised with one or maybe two other couples (relatives or friends), how did you work out things like meeting up, how much time to spend together, cabin choices (proximity or no? adjoining or no?), planning excursions, fixed or anytime dining, communicating with each other, etc.?

I am not even sure what questions to ask, so I will let ya'll fire away with any insight you may think would help us.

The only thing I know at this point is that it sounds like my sister and her husband would not be going on the same sorts of excursions, generally, as DH and I would be -- they seem to have different interests than ours in most ports.

I want to figure out how to spend enough time together without spending too much time together! Needless to say, I want all of our relationships to be as good or better after the cruise than before!

We have cruised and vacationed with other couples and family, no kids and all went well. You just have to be open with each other and know that you won't be attached at the hip during the cruise. A cruise works out well because each couple can do what they want as far as excursions and then come back together for dinner together.

As for us, we did some things together on and off the boat. We did not get our feelings hurt if the other couple wanted to do something different. Different strokes for different folks. We did always have dinner together and the meal time on our cruise (Holland America) was set.

Have an honest conversation about things before booking a cruise together. It is fun to go with family or another couple, but too much togetherness can be trying. Be sure you each do what you really enjoy without hindering the other.

We love to cruise with other couples but we make it VERY clear from the start that everyone should do whatever they want whenever they want but we almost always meet up for dinner and usually the show afterwards. On many nights we'll pick a lounge and all meet up before dinner for a cocktail - but for the most part we all do our own thing and it works out great. No one gets tired of anyone. If we happen to see each other at the pool and there are available chairs - we all sit together - no problem - As far as adjoining rooms - I would advise against it - unless of course it's family. I think a "little" distance is always a good thing. Enjoy!!!

We are always (every year or so) traveling with friends for 2-3 weeks (same couple of our age) and want to make sure we have an enjoyable, hassle free trip. We drove through Spain, some time ago for 2 weeks, we took 3 or 4 cruises together through Northern Europe, Mediterranean region and Eastern Canada. We been friends for over 30 years, we traveled few times in one stateroom, so I do not think, we have any untold stories left.

We always exchanging with massive amount of emails and phone calls (we live on different continents) and checking all travel points before the fact. It is a key. You can decide what things you might want to do together and also plan time where everyone has an afternoon to go their own way for awhile. Then you can come back together over dinner and discuss the things you did that day. But don't be surprised if during the trip somehow whatever was discussed and agreed upon gets thrown out the window.

We always have designated person to keep and balance all receipts on joint spending (regardless of who paid for what, as longest we did it all together). At the end of the trip we settle up and I do not recall time when total ever was greater than 10-20 dollars.

We go one at least one cruise a year with some friends. We are generally in close proximity but not right next door. Generally we see what shows are going to be on the ship and coordinate with the others to see if we want to go to the same ones in that case we pick out a time to meet for it. They also sell cheap whiteboards that we update with notes of what we are doing if they want to find us (also helps if we want to leave notes for the cabin steward). We tend to still have plenty of time to ourselves that way but if they wanted to join us, they knew where they could find us.

We cruise with my husbands parents once a year.

We prefer cabins that are farther apart from each other for privacy reasons. Cabins are not soundproof and having a stranger overhear private conversations and moments is different than someone whom you interact with on a regular basis.

We have breakfast and dinner together most nights. We spend about 20-40 percent of our awake onboard time together, however our rule is that there is no obligation to do this. For us a vacation is about enjoying yourself and relaxing.

We also make a point to spend a portion of one port day with each other. Usually this is a lunch or specific trip, with very specific parameters, start time and end time. This is so that nobody feels like they are going to miss something they want to do at port because they have to spend the whole day with the rest of the party. We tend to have different interests. I might want to spend my days in a museum, but that does not mean I'm going to force my father in law to suffer through something that would bore him to tears, and he is kind enough not to drag me out golfing.

I find that for us, the most stressful part of the trip is before it starts - traveling to the ports. We fix this by leaving a day early, making certain that we have at least an hour between flights if we can't fly direct, and forking over the cash for the four of us to spend time in a lounge at the airport (free wi-fi/snacks/booze and a comfortable seat tend to go a long way when you've been up since 4am).

We have cruised with 2 other couples on a Transatlantic cruise. It actually worked out great. Couple one was a morning couple so we saw them for breakfast and lunch. Couple 2 were night owls so we saw them for dinner and a show. For Shore Ex we all did our own thing except in a port where someone wanted to tag along with us, the experienced ones. We had a great time! And it really is lots of fun to travel with good friends.

We have also cruised with friends,and we are going again to Hawaii with them, as most of the folks here have said we meet at dinner but sometimes at the buffet in the morning. Have balconys adjoining and we do are own thing during the day. Sometimes we just go to Lido deck and play cards if not in port. The man friend is hard to get around sometimes so we do things as a threesome when we are in port. The women shop and I shutter when I see the junk they buy. LOL

I write this at the risk of being called selfish but my Mother and Father In Law invited themselves on a cruise that we were taking. I was fine with this because we have cruised with them before and it was fine. But, I am the only one that works so the cruise we had picked was around my schedule. When they started questioning the cruise, cuiseline, adding days, locations, etc. I had to stop them and remind them that it was our cruise and they can choose to come or not. We certainly made them feel welcome but I just didn't have the flexibility they do. We did have some conflicts about anytime vs traditional dining (the cruise we had selected stated they had anytime dining but on the particular sailing they were only offering traditional dining). I wasn't interested in eating at 5:45 and so again, I had to be the "selfish" person and insist we select another ship. We always eat dinner together but we don't plan our schedules together. We certainly did have opportunities to do things together while on the ship, it just wasn't planned. We selected our excursions and sent them the information and if they chose to go with us fine and if not, fine. Some they did and some they didn't. I thought it all went well until the last day at sea my FIL stated very gruffly that next time he was going to cruise where he wanted to cruise. I just said that's fine and left it at that.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Archived