Royal Center Stairway

YLTraveler

I probably will be in a minority, but I think the lack of a mid ship stairway is being over emphasized as a show stopper. We were recently on the Royal in a mid ship cabin (D407) so we can speak from our personal experience. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a much bigger complaint with the Internet system then I did with the lack of center stairways.

The lack of a center stairway can an inconvenience, especially during major mid ship vertical traffic movements (i.e., everyone heading to lower decks for excursions departures or plaza events). Occasionally we had to wait for a second or third elevator in these situations. In one case I think we even took an up elevator to get a space going down. An inconvenience, but not a show stopper. Remember there are 6 elevators in the center of the ship while there are only 4 fore and aft along with the stairs.

First thing is you wouldn't use the stairs to go from our floor (deck 9) to top side attractions (i.e. pool or horizons) just like you wouldn't use the stairs to go from deck 14 to the plaza. Most of our smaller vertical movements required a vertical and horizontal segment (i.e., go from departure entrance up to deck 9, go aft and down to get to the aft dinning rooms, go forward and down to the Princess theater). If the center elevators were congested, we just re-routed and took the most expeditious leg first (i.e. walk to the fore/aft stairway) and then the connecting segment using the elevator or stairs). Only when we wanted to go one or two levels (i.e. deck 9 to a plaza level) could you run into a potential delay. That would be analogous to someone wanting to go from center of deck 14 to horizons. For us that didn't happen very often. If it did, we usually were accommodated in the next two or three elevators.

I think that Princess can do a better programming of the center elevators. I have no idea what sensor information and control flexibility is available. It would seem during heavy vertical traffic periods they might be able to designate certain elevators specific groups of floors or maybe use load sensors to determine full elevators so they don't stop at each new floor call (i.e., go to the first requested passenger stop rather than each floor request). Probably a bunch of other things that Princess is thinking about.

I await everyone's response.

There are 3 to 4 threads already on this. Mods, please merge this in...

I probably will be in a minority, but I think the lack of a mid ship stairway is being over emphasized as a show stopper. We were recently on the Royal in a mid ship cabin (D407) so we can speak from our personal experience. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a much bigger complaint with the Internet system then I did with the lack of center stairways.

The lack of a center stairway can an inconvenience, especially during major mid ship vertical traffic movements (i.e., everyone heading to lower decks for excursions departures or plaza events). Occasionally we had to wait for a second or third elevator in these situations. In one case I think we even took an up elevator to get a space going down. An inconvenience, but not a show stopper. Remember there are 6 elevators in the center of the ship while there are only 4 fore and aft along with the stairs.

First thing is you wouldn't use the stairs to go from our floor (deck 9) to top side attractions (i.e. pool or horizons) just like you wouldn't use the stairs to go from deck 14 to the plaza. Most of our smaller vertical movements required a vertical and horizontal segment (i.e., go from departure entrance up to deck 9, go aft and down to get to the aft dinning rooms, go forward and down to the Princess theater). If the center elevators were congested, we just re-routed and took the most expeditious leg first (i.e. walk to the fore/aft stairway) and then the connecting segment using the elevator or stairs). Only when we wanted to go one or two levels (i.e. deck 9 to a plaza level) could you run into a potential delay. That would be analogous to someone wanting to go from center of deck 14 to horizons. For us that didn't happen very often. If it did, we usually were accommodated in the next two or three elevators.

I think that Princess can do a better programming of the center elevators. I have no idea what sensor information and control flexibility is available. It would seem during heavy vertical traffic periods they might be able to designate certain elevators specific groups of floors or maybe use load sensors to determine full elevators so they don't stop at each new floor call (i.e., go to the first requested passenger stop rather than each floor request). Probably a bunch of other things that Princess is thinking about.

I await everyone's response.

Maybe you can point me to where those threads are since I don't see anything titled that way. A lot of mixed topics on pro/cons of ship, but I didn't see one focused on center stairway.

Thanks in advance.

I read a thread from someone who hasn't been on the ship complaining about the central stairs, but its nice to get a real account from someone who has actually been on the ship.

First thing is you wouldn't use the stairs to go from our floor (deck 9) to top side attractions (i.e. pool or horizons) just like you wouldn't use the stairs to go from deck 14 to the plaza. .

This is, on the one hand, where you are completely wrong. I use stairs for all my vertical movements, I do many cruises without ever setting foot in an elevator. However, knowledge is power - with the Grand, I simply get a cabin by the aft stairs. So you are, on the other hand, correct that the lack of central stairs is not too inconvenient provided that you know about it. (Thanks, Cruise Critic!)

Not that the missing stairs would be a problem for me since I won't be sailing on the Royal or the Regal but it's the lack of a proper promenade deck and OV cabins that makes them unattractive and unaffordable.

We just completed The Venice to Barcelona cruise on the Royal. Our cabin was located pretty mid ship as well. We use the stairs for all our vertical movements and rarely use an elevator. We just walked forward or aft and used those stairs and a couple times after a LONG day of touring we actually waited for an elevator mid ship. Either we got right on or we had to wait not more than a couple minutes. The lack of the central staircase is being blown WAY out of proportion. I have read on CC that people are actually cancelling the Royal because of it. The Royal is a beautiful ship with some outstanding features. You are doing yourself an injustice if you cancel the Royal an you are missing out on a fabulous experience. I personally think that Princess has outdone themselves in many areas on the ship. We are not first time cruisers and have cruised with Princess 29 times. The ship is AMAZING. Change is always a bit difficult. Approach the ship as being on a new adventure not with the mind set that you are going to dislike it because you will not.

I am booked on two cruises on the Royal. For one I chose near front (caribe)elevators (and stairs) and the other in the aft(Aloha).

My husband and I seldom use the elevators. Stairs are important for us.

We leave the elevators for those that need them.

Wish there were a mid ship staircase but thankfully can walk down the hall .

Thank you for your firsthand account. You confirm what several of us have suspected- during times of wide scale vertical movement (the return of a tender immediately comes to mind), elevator waits can get long.

I'm not sure I would have grasped the fact that the midship stairs were not a available for passenger use had it not been for CC, so I'm another person thankful for the negative information. It absolutely affected our choice of cabin location, leading us to choose Lido Deck in lieu of Marina Deck to accommodate DH's hot tub use. I don't recall anyone stating that the lack of midship stairs alone was the reason they were canceling; I've just read that it was one of the "big three" reasons for several people.

I am booked on two cruises on the Royal. For one I chose near front (caribe)elevators (and stairs) and the other in the aft(Aloha).

My husband and I seldom use the elevators. Stairs are important for us.

We leave the elevators for those that need them.

Wish there were a mid ship staircase but thankfully can walk down the hall .

A couple years ago my wife made a rule... only two elevator rides allowed per cruise - coming in and leaving with luggage.

At that time, I had a lot of trouble with this and it made me realize how badly out of shape I had become. Fast forward three years and I'm 85 pounds lighter and I took the stairs two at a time on my last cruise.

You can do it too!

A couple years ago my wife made a rule... only two elevator rides allowed per cruise - coming in and leaving with luggage.

At that time, I had a lot of trouble with this and it made me realize how badly out of shape I had become. Fast forward three years and I'm 85 pounds lighter and I took the stairs two at a time on my last cruise.

You can do it too!

I often use the stairs as part of my workout routine. While waiting for the gym to open, I'll go up and down from Deck 4 to to Deck 15 as much as 10 times. Sometimes it is amusing to see the looks people give me when they see me as they are getting on the elevator and again as they are getting off.

I often use the stairs as part of my workout routine. While waiting for the gym to open, I'll go up and down from Deck 4 to to Deck 15 as much as 10 times. Sometimes it is amusing to see the looks people give me when they see me as they are getting on the elevator and again as they are getting off.

Lucky you, that you've never sustained an illness or injury that prevents you from doing this.

Lucky you, that you've never sustained an illness or injury that prevents you from doing this.
I consider myself very lucky, but how would you know whether I have ever sustained an injury or illness that prevented me from doing what I want to do?

I consider myself very lucky, but how would you know whether I have ever sustained an injury or illness that prevented me from doing what I want to do?

I mentioned climbing stairs, not "doing what you want to do". Obviously, if you had sustained an injury or illness that prevented you from climbing stairs at one point, it was a temporary condition. Not everyone is as fortunate, and I'm starting to find your opinions about food and stairs and the size of chairs on the balconies a bit judgmental.

I mentioned climbing stairs, not "doing what you want to do". Obviously, if you had sustained an injury or illness that prevented you from climbing stairs at one point, it was a temporary condition. Not everyone is as fortunate, and I'm starting to find your opinions about food and stairs and the size of chairs on the balconies a bit judgmental.
Sorry. I admit to having strong opinions about health, fitness, and lifestyles that sometimes spills over into my posts. In the future I'll try harder to keep such opinions to myself.

Hi,

We sailed aboard the seven-day maiden voyage of the Royal Princess from Southampton to Barcelona (June 16 - 23). We had an inside stateroom on Riviera Deck (R330) and usually try to use the stairs as much as possible. Due to the location of our stateroom, we primarily used the forward stairs and did not have a problem. We did notice that there were long waits during peak times at the center elevators, but we tried to avoid this.

Overall, we were very pleased with this beautiful ship. For us, the lack of the center staircase was not a big deal. In fact, we are booked on the maiden voyage of the Regal Princess in a balcony stateroom forward on Marina Deck.

Chuck

Archived