Azamara, You are missing a great opportunity

GrumpyOldWesty

I don't think having people stick around on board longer is a great opportunity. All it does is create a busy, hectic ship upon arrival, confronts you with disembarking guests (most of which are eager to share their complaints on the previous sailing with you; just what you need when boarding all excited), stresses out the crew for which change over day is already hell day and finally reduces time and opportunity for thorough cleaning, which helps prevent noro. I happily disembark early and wait a bit longer at the airport if it allows me to embark a clean, empty and quiet ship at the beginning of my cruise!

Floris

Could you please elaborate? I don't understand why your clothes were being moved around in preparation for the end of the cruise. We're sailing on Celebrity in Sept. and I don't want any of my clothing or items being moved around.

Items on two shelves had been consolidated to free up a shelf where the attendant had placed new bed linen and other items such as the slippers and in the hanging area, our items were moved to create space for two new bathrobes

Sigh..... I guess the best option is to do the next cruise! !!!

We just left the Quest and the disembark was very well run, right now we are at the train station in Hamburg waiting to go to Berlin. We had a great cruise, I will right a review when I get back to the USA. We met some great CC members while onboard.

Kathy

I guess I do not understand why this is such a problem for cruisers.

We use the Do Not Disturb sign every night while onboard, placing it outside our door before we go to bed, and remove it only when we are ready for our first activity post-breakfast shoreside or on the ship.

We always make our own disembarkation arrangements, sometimes with others from our roll call, and leave the ship around 8:45 AM. There is little luggage left by then in the terminal, so it is easy to find ours and get on our way, either to the relevant airport or our hotel in the disembarkation city.

With the next cruisers raring to board starting at 11 AM, I have no complaints at all about being asked to disembark by 9 AM.

I guess I do not understand why this is such a problem for cruisers.

With the next cruisers raring to board starting at 11 AM, I have no complaints at all about being asked to disembark by 9 AM.

I feel the same way. Wonder if the people complaining about having to disembark early are the ones who complain when staterooms aren't ready by 1:30.

You could vacate your cabin but still stay on the ship as per Celebrity's Program. That wouldn't interfer with the cabin stewards doing the change over.

Which is the same as what happens on Azamara. If you take part in the late disembarkation programme, you must still vacate your room, the benefit for those who take it is you have access to the pool deck or to a movie in the lounge and can have an early lunch before disembarking

Which is the same as what happens on Azamara. If you take part in the late disembarkation programme, you must still vacate your room, the benefit for those who take it is you have access to the pool deck or to a movie in the lounge and can have an early lunch before disembarking

The problem with this is it's inconsistency and limited numbers. It needs firming up and the process for using it needs to be clear. We tried the moment we got on the ship, and again later, we eventually got told that they were not doing late disembarkation on this cruise.

Short notice cancelling for last day airport transfer and tours must be stopped if people have already booked it. At the very least, those who booked should be told it has been cancelled preferably before sailing but at the very least on the first day.

If they don't have enough on this tour its the one time they should, perhaps promote it! Having said that we did get a note to say we could book it, went to the desk and were told it was cancelled due to lack of numbers lol

Yvonne

The problem with this is it's inconsistency and limited numbers. It needs firming up and the process for using it needs to be clear. We tried the moment we got on the ship, and again later, we eventually got told that they were not doing late disembarkation on this cruise.

Short notice cancelling for last day airport transfer and tours must be stopped if people have already booked it. At the very least, those who booked should be told it has been cancelled preferably before sailing but at the very least on the first day.

If they don't have enough on this tour its the one time they should, perhaps promote it! Having said that we did get a note to say we could book it, went to the desk and were told it was cancelled due to lack of numbers lol

Yvonne

Last year, Bill reported that late disembarkation can only happen where the port immigration authorities will permit it. I believe often the ship does not get this info until just a few days before, some ports like to change their tune at a whim.

I do agree cancelling trips that are connected to disembarkation is something they should aim to avoid at all costs. But again, there have been recent posts elsewhere about the pricing of excursions and one of the reasons quoted for increased pricing was this would allow them to run trips with much lower minimum passenger thresholds.

I think for many people given the timings of the flights, Athens is the main issue and as that is a port where local changes are commonplace, maybe Azamara should identify there and the other places where flight times are an issue and car hire options are not ideal and work up solutions for there first, then move to the less problematic ports of disembarkation

I think it important that passengers are made aware of the fact that there could be a long wait at the airport, then they could decide on a different option, such as delayed disembarkation, a pre-departure tour, a private transfer, rental car, etc.

Once through check-in at Athens we were among the lucky ones able to use airport lounges, but we'd have been much more relaxed if we'd avoided the check-in chaos and gone for a coffee or sat outside.

We did late Disembarkation for the first time in June this year (on Celebrity) I think I had expected that we would be able to get off the ship at any time between normal Disembarkation and the late afternoon, but that wasn't the case due to Customs and Immigration rules.

There was two slots an earlier one at about 1.30 and the later one of about 3.45pm, It all worked out well for us and it is certainly something we would do again if we had a late flight.

It is worth noting also that you were not allowed to get off the ship until you disembarked on the last day. (Celebrity)

Jean

• 3 weeks later...
Agree on all points UKtog. We've been making good use of the "Do Not Disturb" sign for years. The funny thing is, we rarely use it througout the cruise, other than on the last night, and the morning of the disembark.

I also appreciate the fact that Azamara is far more cordial in the final hours of your sailing than most other Cruise lines, but I'm sure it's easier when you are catering to nearly 700 guests on AZ, vs the 2-3 thousand guests on Celebrity and other lines.

While I totally respect the daunting challenges of turnaround day... I'm sure we all agree that if Cruise lines could find easier ways to make the last morning of our cruise a less stressful experience, we'd be thrilled, and would surely promote further loyalty to their brand.

I always learn a great deal by tuning in! Thanks for the interesting exchange. How would you improve the disembarkation? Keep in mind costs when you respond.

Love to hear your many ideas!

Regards,

I always learn a great deal by tuning in! Thanks for the interesting exchange. How would you improve the disembarkation? Keep in mind costs when you respond.

Regards,

Based on my recent experience on the Journey a Athens, I don't think the disembarkation could be improved. I think passengers need to feel valued for the whole cruise experience.

Service on board is fabulous, but a lot of goodwill can be lost if onward Azamara arrangements aren't efficient and well communicated.

Regards,

I will respond that our disembarkation experience on August 7, 2013 in Hamburg, Germany was not rushed at all, was pleasant and sad after 24 days aboard, and only confirmed that the azamara experience was one to remember and will cause us to first look at AZ itineraries for future vacation. I thought it was a very nice touch that Philip (hotel director) was shaking hands at the door wishing all a safe journey. We will miss him most.

There were some tear filled eyes upon our disembarkation too and big smiles...not sure if they were sad or happy to see us leave...LOL

Security waved and smiled and yelled to us until we climbed into the cab, it was very touching.

We were assisted at the port and a waiting cab was quickly called for us and there was help with our luggage.

Mr. Pimental, it was nice meeting you in Alesund, Norway in front of the church and DW and I liked seeing you at the White Nights party filming the crowd with your phone. You seemed to be really enjoying yourself.

Thank you again for an Azamazing cruise.:)

Our disembarkation from the July British Open cruise was also very painless.

I believe most people understand you have to get off the passengers so you can get ready for the next cruise. There was plenty of help finding our bags and assistance getting them to a taxi.

As Owen (lop) stated it was nice to have Philip and Russ say good bye on the gangplank.

My only compliant is that there is no room service coffee on the last morning....but after a great cruise I can deal with that.

Kathy

Our disembark in dubai wasn't a good end to a fantastic cruise.

We planned to stay in dubai for a couple of days post cruise, and as we made our own arrangements we didn't qualify for transfers. The issue was that we were in a queue of around fifty people in 90 degree heat for over half an hour waiting on a taxi. No taxis! It was a bit stressful to say the least.

Surely there is an opportunity to link up with a local firm so that there are at least regular taxis shuttling back and forth when the ship docks? Worth considering IMO.

On our forthcoming trip in march, we disembark in singapore and have use of a day room in our price as our flight isn't until 11pm. This is great service from azamara, as we will dump our luggage and spend the day shopping and sightseeing.

David

Well there is always going to be some pain at disembarkation and I think that Azamara do a pretty good job compared to Celebrity in how they handle disembarkation.

We cannot overlook the value of the personal farewells from the crew and officers - they are so genuine as they say goodbye and seem genuinely sad we are leaving.

Some suggestions, hopefully all low cost or even revenue generating. All of them link to the precious commodity of communicating with guests. In these suggestions, I am recognising that the cost of flights may require you to place guests on later in the day flights.

So my responses would be

1. Allow guests who have had flight and transfers booked through the cruiseline the opportunity to upgrade their flight for a small supplement to an earlier flight (if available)

2. Allow guests who have flight and transfers booked through the cruiseline the opportunity to purchase an upgraded transfer that includes a short excursion - at present, you have to forgo the whole transfer and buy a complete excursion package

3. Look at the excursions offered to see if there are some shorter excursions that can be offered - guests are often looking for something that lasts 1-2 hours once you are clear of disembarkation whereas the current ones are all 4-5 hours

4. Have your destination team who know so much about the local airports I am sure, produce airport guides that guests can either access pre cruise or pick up on board. The sort of things I would suggest be covered are how far in advance of boarding are bag drops and checkins opened, are there short term left luggage facilities, how much landside seat is there; what are the landside catering facilities etc

5. If possible, have your port agents set up agreed contract to airport rates with some providers and cars readily available

6. Keep the late disembarkation option for a charge where local authorities allow it

In all of the above, in many ways, it is not about changing a lot of what Azamara does, it is about increasing the guests awareness of what will be facing them at the end of the trip - most people know all about their home local airport and its arrangements, it is the "away" airport that stresses them up

Nothing significant here I know just some simple suggestions

Some suggestions, hopefully all low cost or even revenue generating. All of them link to the precious commodity of communicating with guests. In these suggestions, I am recognising that the cost of flights may require you to place guests on later in the day flights.

In all of the above, in many ways, it is not about changing a lot of what Azamara does, it is about increasing the guests awareness of what will be facing them at the end of the trip - most people know all about their home local airport and its arrangements, it is the "away" airport that stresses them up

Very nice list and well thought out. I agree with your suggestions and feel it would set Azamara apart from competing cruiselines and sets the bar higher.

The part about airport information is great as we experienced in Frankfurt on Friday (that airport is terribly marked, just an example and would not apply as a cruise disembarkation location airport).

Well there is always going to be some pain at disembarkation and I think that Azamara do a pretty good job compared to Celebrity in how they handle disembarkation.

We cannot overlook the value of the personal farewells from the crew and officers - they are so genuine as they say goodbye and seem genuinely sad we are leaving.

So my responses would be

1. Allow guests who have had flight and transfers booked through the cruiseline the opportunity to upgrade their flight for a small supplement to an earlier flight (if available)

2. Allow guests who have flight and transfers booked through the cruiseline the opportunity to purchase an upgraded transfer that includes a short excursion - at present, you have to forgo the whole transfer and buy a complete excursion package

3. Look at the excursions offered to see if there are some shorter excursions that can be offered - guests are often looking for something that lasts 1-2 hours once you are clear of disembarkation whereas the current ones are all 4-5 hours

4. Have your destination team who know so much about the local airports I am sure, produce airport guides that guests can either access pre cruise or pick up on board. The sort of things I would suggest be covered are how far in advance of boarding are bag drops and checkins opened, are there short term left luggage facilities, how much landside seat is there; what are the landside catering facilities etc

5. If possible, have your port agents set up agreed contract to airport rates with some providers and cars readily available

6. Keep the late disembarkation option for a charge where local authorities allow it

Good post.

Also now i think of it, is there an option to purchase a dayroom rate via azamara? I havent seen it if there is. You guys can negotiate much stronger hotel rates than any of us, so that would be a viabale option for many to spend some time in the disembark city, rest, shower, and jump on your flight home feeling like your trip had ended as well as it might have.

David

Good post.

Also now i think of it, is there an option to purchase a dayroom rate via azamara? I havent seen it if there is. You guys can negotiate much stronger hotel rates than any of us, so that would be a viabale option for many to spend some time in the disembark city, rest, shower, and jump on your flight home feeling like your trip had ended as well as it might have.

David

Great idea - I think we all accept paying for some of these extras, so Azamara can perhaps relax a bit on that one!

So my responses would be

Thank you for putting some really good points/ideas forward. We totally agree.

Can I add another to perhaps your point 4- perhaps Azamara could arrange for a room/lounge to be made available at the airport where guests with earlier flight times, and therefore not requiring the use of a day room, could wait for check in to open in comfort with perhaps some refreshments made available.

We have been on late departures where we have upgraded to a tour and transfer and Azamara have arranged day rooms for us, which were gratefully received but on our recent return from Argentina with an Azamara included transfer we were off ship at 7.30 and in the airport by 8.30 and checkin did not open until 11.30 and there was no seating available for the majority of those checking in, they had to stand in a hot crowded airport for up to 3 hours. Azamara UK had included a day room in our transfer but Guest Relations on board cancelled this and said with our flight leaving at 14.40 this was not feasible and we would be taken straight to the airport.

I am hoping to be able to do something similar next month.

When were you able to confirm your late disembarkation & how did you get to the airport ?

Thanks

Just a quick update on our recent experience -

I asked about Late Disembarkation almost as soon as we boarded and several times afterwards. We were due to disembark on Sunday in Athens and received our disembarkation time of 8.10am in our paperwork on Friday morning. I asked at Guest Relations but got a rather shoulder shrug type of response.

Unfortunately Friday was a sea day so I had to buy some internet time to research options - I realise that was my own fault for not being more prepared. We had more or less decided on leaving our luggage at the airport and going back into the city for a few hours.

On our return from our day in Santorini on Saturday there was a letter for us apologising for the lack of Late Disembarkation and suggesting a couple of hotels with suitable day rooms. With the help of the concierge I booked one and we spent a very pleasant few hours relaxing by their pool and having a relaxing lunch. I would probably do something similar if I had a late flight in future.

In the end it was a very good solution but I feel the flow of information could have been better handled.

Archived