Enough is enough

UKCruiseJeff

Newlondon- I'm from New York City where we eat "pushy" for breakfast. I'm not saying that Jeff's heart isn't in the right place, it's just that after contrubuting over 125 posts to this subject you do have to wonder when he might stop chewing his cud. Those of us who have sailed frequently with Silversea are eager to see how this plays out. Especially those of us who have elevated Venetian Society perks. We have already demonstrated our trust and loyalty. It is now time for Silversea management to reciprocate and if they're unable to so in the coming days then it's adios, farewell and ciao. It's too late for me to cancel my September cruise buI look forward to having some interesting discussions with the crew members. I've already printed my "WHERE"S THE BEEF" t-shirt to wear on the galley lunch.

Well apart from the bit about being annoyed with me and my opinions, I totally agree with the rest of the sentiments you express in your post. They seem to reflect what many of us have said. I'm sorry that you find my posts and me irritating but I wish you would simply ignore me and my posts rather than follow my posting and be rude to me.

I hope you post a piccy of you and your T shirt and that you have a good cruise.

Newlondon- I'm from New York City where we eat "pushy" for breakfast. I'm not saying that Jeff's heart isn't in the right place, it's just that after contrubuting over 125 posts to this subject you do have to wonder when he might stop chewing his cud. Those of us who have sailed frequently with Silversea are eager to see how this plays out. Especially those of us who have elevated Venetian Society perks. We have already demonstrated our trust and loyalty. It is now time for Silversea management to reciprocate and if they're unable to so in the coming days then it's adios, farewell and ciao. It's too late for me to cancel my September cruise buI look forward to having some interesting discussions with the crew members. I've already printed my "WHERE"S THE BEEF" t-shirt to wear on the galley lunch.

Couldnt agree with you more.He has WAY too much time on his hands ! P.R. Man for Carnival probably

On a serious note the challenge with all of these threads is that very few people can keep up with all of this.

To me the bottom line is that there appears to be some big issues with respect to items such as food, and even water and liquor. At some point we will get to read the CDC report. At some point I suspect some media outlet or other news service will do an expose on all of this. Hopefully, Silversea will also provide more communications but until any and all of this happen I am not sure what the point of all of these threads are. If the point is hoping that others will read all of this even myself who prides himself on keeping up with all posts on one thread have given up on reading the posts. I am not sure of others but having multiple thread and hundred of posts don't add much value and actually in my humble opinion muddy the issue and make it very (and I mean very) confusing.

Yes, this is Cruise Critic and as long as the posts conform to the rules it's fine but again I think the whole thing is very confusing and I would let the rest of the facts come out on this and then each person can draw their own conclusions.

That's my two (well maybe three) cents on all of this.

Keith

Thank you. The link worked. Bad report.

Keith

I thought it was worst than bad .....:D

By the way ... I didn't say. It is of no consequence to you but decent manners mandates I tell you that I have swung a long way over to the tipping included thing you were arguing. Actually I think we're 90% in agreement. I think I just feel they should it explain it clearly and honestly - then it works fully for me.

Anyway - your mission accomplished!

I thought it was worst than bad .....:D

By the way ... I didn't say. It is of no consequence to you but decent manners mandates I tell you that I have swung a long way over to the tipping included thing you were arguing. Actually I think we're 90% in agreement. I think I just feel they should it explain it clearly and honestly - then it works fully for me.

Anyway - your mission accomplished!

Thank you and I am glad to hear that you are closer in thoughts on the tipping issue.

You are right. I was being tactful in my word of bad. I only read reports of cruise ships we sail or ones we are considering and this is the worst report I have ever read. Some of the items were disgusting.

Keith

Thank you and I am glad to hear that you are closer in thoughts on the tipping issue.

You are right. I was being tactful in my word of bad. I only read reports of cruise ships we sail or ones we are considering and this is the worst report I have ever read. Some of the items were disgusting.

Keith

It's not bad at all if you don't mind a bit of bedroom fluff on your mouldy and sweaty meat. :D

What we read here is that many people's way of coping is by grasping at the hope that as everything is so bad now it logically follows that it simply must be better on their trip. :confused: Or simply saying "it isn't true! It isn't proved". :eek:

I subscribe to the belief that it is both pointless and also you don't have the right to forgive until someone has asked for it. That only works when the accused fully admits their faults, requests forgiveness and says that it will be different in the future - and explain competently and candidly why. NONE of that is happening here!:)

Anyway - let's hope we collectively provide an incentive for SS to put things right.

Keith

Also alarming that some SS regulars would rather brush it under the carpet and forget about it rather than have the issue addressed.

For me, and a few others, this story is a big event. Overall, it's a small story and no blood has been spilled. The number of SS customers posting on here with their passive views confusing Venetian Society benefits and storage space with the real topic is amazing. And the carafe water? How naïve can an intelligent person be? I know......very!

I have an upcoming Shadow cruise out of NYC and it wouldn't break my heart to watch the Coast Guard or USPH put the screws to them and delay the departure, or not let them depart.

If you really want to break their chops and show your knowledge of USPH requirements, your shirt should read: "WHERE'S THE P.H.F.?" (potentially hazardous foods).

For me, and a few others, this story is a big event. Overall, it's a small story and no blood has been spilled. The number of SS customers posting on here with their passive views confusing Venetian Society benefits and storage space with the real topic is amazing. And the carafe water? How naïve can an intelligent person be? I know......very!

I have an upcoming Shadow cruise out of NYC and it wouldn't break my heart to watch the Coast Guard or USPH put the screws to them and delay the departure, or not let them depart.

Thanks. Agree.

I feel really sorry for you guys .... in the UK there is quite a lot that can be done to ensure that anything goes right or causes SS pain if it doesn't.

Below is the link to the CNN story with a video re-play for those who want to see the full story. It has this headline: "Luxury cruise fails surprise health inspection" with these highlights: "A surprise inspection by the Centers for Disease Control has resulted in a failing grade for one of the plushest cruise ships afloat. According to a report by the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program, the cruise ship Silver Shadow was cited repeatedly for using an 'organized effort' to remove 15 trolleys of food from the ship's galley to individual crew cabins to 'avoid inspection.' "

Then, then it goes downhill from here in this long and comprehensive story. Another story highlight: "Jim Walker -- a Miami-based lawyer who specializes in filing lawsuits against cruise lines for injury and wrongful termination -- said that, in his experience, it's common for cruise ships to hide food from government inspectors."

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/24/travel/luxury-cruise-inspection/index.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 113,208 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In light of this evening's CNN report I think that everyone who has been dumping on UKCruiseJeff owes him an apology - this is NOT going away and the only way to move things forward is to force SS management to start to take action - though at this point I think they have missed the boat (sorry :().

In light of this evening's CNN report I think that everyone who has been dumping on UKCruiseJeff owes him an apology - this is NOT going away and the only way to move things forward is to force SS management to start to take action - though at this point I think they have missed the boat (sorry :().

I really appreciate. It has at times felt terrible reading some of the comments. We all have feelings .....:)

We must keep the ball in the air in order to support and show solidarity with the staff and ensure the RIGHT actions are taken.

What action can those of us take who have already paid for a booking? We will be penalized for cancellation, and it is substantial.

We have a contract which is the ticket, but I bet the contract does not state we are entitled to sanitary conditions for our food or food storage or handling.

What action can those of us take who have already paid for a booking? We will be penalized for cancellation, and it is substantial.

We have a contract which is the ticket, but I bet the contract does not state we are entitled to sanitary conditions for our food or food storage or handling.

If you are UK based I can give some possible useful pointers. I have inadequate knowledge to know whether the same approach works in other geographies as we seem to be better protected here.

I notice a Z rather than an S does that mean you are US or are you UK by any chance?

UKJeff, thanks I am US Spinnaker. I posted on another thread I wrote to SS and was sent stock "PRESS RELEASE" as a response from the "senior management". That is beyond the pale and REALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

I guess since i paid with a credit card i could open a dispute, but i wanted to hear from them personally (silly me). I am not looking to litigate this issue or create a fracas, however they need to use FRACAS(failure reporting, analysis and corrective action system).

UKJeff, thanks I am US Spinnaker. I posted on another thread I wrote to SS and was sent stock "PRESS RELEASE" as a response from the "senior management". That is beyond the pale and REALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!

I guess since i paid with a credit card i could open a dispute, but i wanted to hear from them personally (silly me). I am not looking to litigate this issue or create a fracas, however they need to use FRACAS(failure reporting, analysis and corrective action system).

That is a shame. In the UK - and I over simplify but you will understand the point more easilly - our consumer laws basically means that all consumer contracts to a very high degree can be completely ignored. We have both a concept of "implied terms" ie terms that most sensible people would presume should be there and "unfair terms" ie terms that are onerous and shouldn't be. We also have a third concept and that is the relative power of both sides in making the contract. So again to over-simplify our judges have as a starting point that consumers do not have the power to make large corporations delete unfair terms so a judge will do it for them. Those are three of the many factors that help us.

So a court here might easilly conclude that the contract does include an implied obligation with respect to providing sanitary conditions. Actually I can guarantee it. It would also not necessarily be enforceable to charge a cancellation charge if that were deemed unfair. And in this siutation it seems to be.

Anyway - in the UK people - because of the lack of confidence SS are causing customers to reasonably feel - a judge might decide if asked - that SS weren't entitled to keep a cancellation charge due to their behaviour and lack of cogent and believable reassurance being the cause of the cancellation. Failing that, if SS hadn't provided at least exactly what they promised or what customers "reasonble believe" to have been promised they can expect a reasonable chance of refunds and compensation. Id document my expecations, give a chance for a non-chargeable cancellation, warn I will be returning if the ANY promise hasn't been delivered - then claim if justified on my return.

For example, my holiday claim the judge decided that for the price I had paid for my holiday in question "I should have expected and received luxury". He then decided that whilst he couldn't specifically define what "luxury" meant he could define what it wasn't and he decided that what I recived "wasn't". So the contract ignored - common sense prevailed. Now in the UK many holiday claims rely on some of the precedences I had set.

The judge said a lovely thing in his summing up. "Where the defendant agrees with the claimant I find wholly in favour of the defendant. However, where the defendant disagrees with the claimant I find wholly in favour of the claimant" You can't do better than that.

Good luck.

Archived