Wow, Carnival...what happened?

zeke11

I would like to see your pics. also, I have always wondered what the lifeboats look like in the water. That is cool. Almost worth missing Freeport for ;)

I'll post them tonight when I get off work at 9PM. There are times when we don't really do anything at the ports, so always wait until later to get off the ship. We've been to them all so many times. It is pretty cool to see the little lifeboats zooming around.

Yes, Kristi, you are absolutely right. My motto: A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work :-)

I think that posting events that were unhappy with might help motivate Carnival, just in case any of them read our posts.

Do you think they do?

Kris

I'm sorry you had so many issues on your cruise. If Carnival has people regularly checking these boards I wonder why they have yet to bring the steel drums back to Lido. The majority of posters here (including me) really miss the steel drum bands and want them back. It's such a major deal to me that I'm crusing RCI's Oasis next year not only to try a different line but also to enjoy the steel drum bands on a cruise. And RCIs customer service is great. Ive yet to experience a bad customer service rep.

The OP commented on several things based on his/her experience. Even if she read it before, what's the problem in mentioning it in their review of some things about the cruise. People repeatedly talk about the good and the not so good stuff. There's alot of redundancy on this board. The mods don't have a problem with it. And quite frankly, repitition is a good thing. If I had $10 for every FTTF thread I see daily, I could fund spending change for my entire upcoming vacation. You might not catch something on one thread but then maybe you will on another. Geesh.

I am sorry that Carnival did not measure up to your expectations. That must have been a major disappointment for you. Our family of 6 is just off the Legend for a 12 day Baltic cruise.We really had a wonderful family time and although I did notice the cutbacks since our last cruise on the Magic in 2011 nothing happened that ruined our fun. I did not think the food was as good and the service in the dining room was not nearly as good as 2 years ago we still had a great time.

My DH and I have booked on Princess for next summer but the next time we take the family we will probably book Carnival again because of the price.I just hope they go back to Europe in a couple of years.I could not afford to take the whole family to Europe on Celebrity or Princess.

Some things have certainly changed. I did miss calzones and caesar salads being available along with pizza, but that's so minor as to hardly be worth mentioning.

Interesting...when we were on the Fascination last month, they did have calzones alongside the pizza at the pizza place on the Lido. In fact, one night, my son decided to try a calzone and we nearly had a meltdown right there in the resteraunt because I ordered his calzone and my pizza and forgot to remind the chef to make his calzone 'nekkid'. It came with a green sauce (pesto?) dribbled all over it and my son nearly had a fit since he's VERY picky about his food having sauce, etc on it.

We're out on the Triumph in three weeks and I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to trying a burger at the Guy Fieri burger joint and some of the TexMex at the Blue Iguana. :D

Strictly to OP,

I see you have gone on Disney. Best save your money from CCL and book Disney cruises. Magic is getting a giant face lift in Sept. I'll be on her in May. Welcome back to the Kings of service and family friendly (not offensive) entertainment!

Ps. I was on the CCL Dream this year. It was my personal least favorite CCL. Loved my Holiday and Triumph cruises and Conquest was good (not stellar) and this year's Dream was apparant with cut backs and crowds. Had a really funny entertainment staff tho!

In 2006 at the FAMILY karaoke event - this song was one of the selections and was performed: It is called "Candy Shop" by 50 Cent. In order to fully appreciate how WRONG this selection was, I urge you to google the lyrics. It is so bad, I don't even want to post the lyrics here. Now, this was performed AT THE FAMILY KAROKE event on the Conquest.

When we got back, I complained. As an apology, I was sent a letter saying that on my *next* cruise I should let them know of my booking and I would receive a Bon Voyage gift. I immediately called and said that we don't cruise that often, but they said hold onto the letter (and hopefully forget about it - LOL) and it would not expire.

So I did. I contacted Carnival and let them know about our upcoming cruise. I felt the guest services rep was a bit rude, he said the letter was expired. Looking at the letter in my hand, I said there was no expiration noted and, in fact, I had confirmed back in 2007 that it would not expire. Reluctantly, he said to email a copy to him and he would take care of it.

We board the Pride on July 14, there is no Bon Voyage gift. I called guest services onboard. They knew nothing about it. Through the week, they kept promising that they were looking for this, but were unsuccessful. I gave them the name of the person I had emailed the letter to and the next day I was told that this person denied ever speaking to me and did not know who I was!

At the end of the week, we did receive a $25 credit. But it was not the "fun" gift I had looked forward to and I was humiliated to be told that basically, I was a liar and their rep had denied having ever spoken to me!Kris

I just don't think I would have pursued "A Fun Gift" to the extent you did. I'm reasonably sure the $25 that you received was better

------

Second, from day one, Guest Services had our people (7 of us in three staterooms) all mixed up. Immediately at boarding, we went to Guest Services to have each individual's stateroom straightened out and to attach their own personal credit card to their sign and sail card. Kris

How Can Carnival mix up something between 3 different bookings? You do this yourself before you even get on the ship by checking in online with the correct credit cards to the right people

On day two, finding some charges on the wrong sign and sail card, we went back and were told that there were two credit cards attached to one of our guest's account - one of the cards was mine and the other was his. We were told that we *never* had been at guest services to let them know which one to use. On the contrary, we HAD been there the day before and done this, but we had to go back down with all parties involved and do it over again. At the end of the cruise, we learned that my son (not even IN the stateroom with the person involved in the credit card mix-up) had his name also attached to this guest's credit card. I have no idea how or WHY they did this. But each time we would go back there, instead of apologizing for the mix-up, they would take an aggressive stand and deny that we had ever been there!

We ran down to guest services and the rep was very flippant - laughed and said it was just part of a drill. No apology, nothing even though I was very obviously totally distressed. Seeing that bright red metal sign really was a very bad and scary experience.Kris

What did you want him to apologize for?

I can quite honestly say that we spent part of almost every day at guest services trying to straighten out their confused messes.

We have sailed Carnival before and the service has definitely gone downhill. Our stateroom steward was ok, and our server at dinner was super nice. But food was slow in coming, lines at the buffets were so long more than once we gave up standing in line.

One day at sea, we didn't have lunch because the lines were ridiculous. Kris

Lines are long on every Carnival ship

At the Serenity Bar, they had a menu sign and we tried to get food there but were told they didn't have any food. No more Caesar salad at the pizza station.

No more steel drum band on the Lido deck (just a crummy dj). Kris

You get what you pay for these days. I agree!

Room Service (other than breakfast) was next to impossible. When you would call, you would be put on terminal hold. One time after getting through (by just hanging up and repeatedly calling until someone answered), we placed an order and after waiting almost an hour, just gave up and called back and canceled it.Kris

Did you call at a high demand time?

The musical shows were pretty bad. The Legends show where they have guests perform was barely tolerable. And they repeated many of the same songs that were featured in the cast's show from the night before. How many times do you want to hear Crocodile Rock and Living La Vida Loca?

On the plus side, the ports were beautiful, although short (back on ship at 1-1:30). The chocolate melting cake was heavenly. Relaxation was non-stop.Kris

Still can't understand why everyone raves about half cooked brownies in a dish

I know my preferences aren't everyone's, but just letting those who are thinking Carnival know what's up. We will definitely be trying another line for our next cruise.

Kris

What did you want him to apologize for?

I would have been frantic to see an "Evacuated" card in my slot, too, and would be so afraid that someone in my family were on a helicopter with a medical emergency, so I would expect an apology, not to be blown off.

How Can Carnival mix up something between 3 different bookings? You do this yourself before you even get on the ship by checking in online with the correct credit cards to the right people

It can happen. We booked correctly and Trouble is, they had my friend's picture on my card and hers on mine because of their screw up at check in. It took 4 trips to Guest Services and the last time it happened (they didn't want to let us on ship after port because the photos didn't match) I wouldn't leave until they called the Head of Security. It took him TWO TRIES to get it fixed.

*They used to take the first picture at check-in, not when you got on board the first time.

I have a letter from Carnival from 2005 that states on my next cruise to turn it in to guest services and I will receive a gift, there is no expiration. I wonder if I should try it just for fun. I never planned on using it, I just put it away because it was a thank you note from them because I emailed them complimenting them and they sent me back that letter.

I would like to see your pics. also, I have always wondered what the lifeboats look like in the water. That is cool. Almost worth missing Freeport for ;)

On recent cruise the ship lowered at least a dozen lifeboats and the staff were sailing them all around the ship.

It was funny at the time to watch them, looked like a swarm of orange lady bugs .

There were a few bumper car like incidents where a lifeboat would brush against one of the others. The crew steering them had their heads stuck out of a hatch on top of the life boat and they would yell at each other to get out of the way.

That was the only cruise I have seen anything like this.

We usually are off the ship when it is in port so this practice might happen often and we just never had the chance to see it.

I'm sure I have a couple pictures somewhere.

Sorry you got so stressed over the "Evacuated" signs.

Every cruise I've been on, they do that at one of the ports as part of their safety drills

so it doesn't alarm me.

All the rooms would have it in the key slot along with the emergency lighting illuminated along the hallways.

Also, the CD comes on the intercom numerous times to announce they are having a drill for the crew only.

It happens on every cruise line.

Same here.

I've seen those routine drills on several of my cruises.

Last Valor cruise I was on -June this year..

I was fortunate to see the emergency lighting on and working, during the Muster Drill.

How did I manage that?

Well...Valor boards passengers at two ports: San Juan P.Rico(the vast majority)

and 40 cabins-worth of pax also board at Barbados(see where I live?)

Those who board at Barbados get their own private M.Drill on the Wed. p.m. before sailaway

and get to skip the tiresome big drill on Sun. nite at 9:30 p.m.

We were in our cabin at around 9:30 Sun.nite, when they came to check -to turf us out as hideaways

but once I explained that we had boarded at Barbados on Wed. and had done our drill already

she was cool with that.

A few mins. after cabin-check I had to leave the cabin for something,

and lo and behold the corridors were all lit up with flashing lights along their sides

with exits also displaying about three feet of (similar, flashing) vertical lighting!

- never seen THAT before!

OP your recent cruise sounds like our recent b2b on the Glory. Our cards were mixed up due to a last minute complimentary upgrade and room switch--it took two hours and was a literal mess. Our first cruise was around the time you did your last Carnival cruise, so I can imagine how surprising it might be--it's no the old CCL anymore. We are looking at ships that are Pre-2.0 and other lines now.

The red tag thing would be confusing if you had no idea what was going on. We were on the ship in Saint John when they did that drill, which was kind of cool to watch.

For those wanting to see the lifeboats in the water...these are pics my FIL took while we were in Port Canaveral on the Pride in January. These were right before the crew members on the Thompson ship died doing the same drill.

9393607845_02d1be9a28.jpg9393607517_414c11769b.jpg

9393607197_9669e35119.jpg9393606783_b58e325eb3.jpg

If you notice in my sig line below, the Pride is listed only once. Like you, we decided to try different ships and went on them more than once. We really didn't like anything about the Pride and you listed most of the reasons. Not all ships are the same, and we're looking forward to experiencing a new ship for us in about 20 days.

I agree many things have deteriorated on Carnival cruises. In fact, many people are no longer cruising with them, and the prices have dropped so much, I can afford 5 cruises for what I used to pay for 1. I'm one of those people who just go with the flow so the poor service and missing steel drums don't really bother me. I'm just happy to be on the ship, not having to cook, not making my bed, and watching the water go by.

I appreciate your review and your pictures. We have only sailed on the Pride once, last September so we didn't have anything to compare it to except our cruise the year before on NCL. (We've been on several Disney Cruises but I don't think it's fair to compare Carnival with Disney.) Some of the things you mentioned happened on both cruises but not finding an evacuation card in my door. I've been aware of drill going on but I've never see those cards. That would have made my heart jump a little.

The foul-ups with your account sounds exactly like what happened to us on our NCL cruise except it didn't take quite as long for us to get everything straightened out. What was a chronic problem was our room cards working to get us into our rooms. We had 3 rooms-one for our kids, one for my parents, and one for dh and me. We started having problems almost immediately with the cards not working to open doors. There was no rhyme or reason as to which cards would malfunction. Over the next 4 days, we (mostly me) made several trips to guest services. In the beginning, my visits would result in new cards being issued. Then, a maintenance man with a guest services employee visited our room. After that happened a few times, the electrician and the IT guys got involved. By the end of the ordeal, the hotel manager was supervising IT staff and a few fellows whose roles I don't know do things to our door. She seemed frustrated with the IT fellows. I can only guess, as far as the guest is concerned, the buck stops with her even when it the computer system that was at fault. We never pitched a fit, but she comped us dinner for the 7 of us at the Italian restaurant onboard.

You can imagine the array of responses we received from customer service members at the desk every time I showed up before the hotel director got involved. To be fair, none were overtly rude to me.

I agree many things have deteriorated on Carnival cruises. In fact, many people are no longer cruising with them, and the prices have dropped so much, I can afford 5 cruises for what I used to pay for 1. I'm one of those people who just go with the flow so the poor service and missing steel drums don't really bother me. I'm just happy to be on the ship, not having to cook, not making my bed, and watching the water go by.

It really is a trade-off! At this time in our lives, if we want to cruise, we have to be realistic about what's available to us in a certain price range. Dh and I would like to take a cruise for our 25th anniversary next year. Out of curiosity, I priced DCL and Carnival for the same week, same number of passengers, similar itinerary, room category, and port of departure. The difference was over $2500 for two people.

It depends on a few factors, rooms, weeks of the trip and length of the trip and which port and ship. We are cruising a few less days (4 vs 7) but it is costing us the exact same $$ we paid to CCL. We will tack on a few park days while we are there to round it out. For me, the $1500 I spent on CCL (including fare and tax and tip etc to the ship) is a wasted $1500 I could put towards my next DCL. Also, I have a rewards card that has already helped us earn over $200 in savings and we've only had it since April. That is going to help out a lot! Also the incidentals of the soda and alcohol are much more with CCL so even though you are paying less to get on board, they will get as much as they can from you once on board.

But you know DCL, you've cruised it a lot more than I have. Kudos to you! I have to get a few more DC fixes before I change vacation models...

It depends on a few factors, rooms, weeks of the trip and length of the trip and which port and ship. .

True: Check out both DCL and CCL for 2 people, balcony with unobstructed view, December 28 (or 27th) 2014, leaving from Port Canaveral, 7 day cruise. (where's that bug-eyed emoticon) To be fair, the CCL itinerary is slightly different and is not making a stop at the private island.

Rewards cards - I'm with you. The reward vouchers are one of the reasons we can afford to cruise this year. We have one card, and it's a AAA Visa. We put everything we can on it and pay it off monthly. Since grocery stores are double points, we use the Visa to buy gift cards for the stores at which we shop (earn gas points on the gift cards :) ) Last fall, Dh replaced the barn roof himself, so we bought A LOT of Home Depot cards. Christmas, birthdays, and graduations (bumper crop of those this year) - gift cards. I only wish I could pay the balance of my son's college tuition with the Visa without a "convenience" fee of 2.5% by the college. Since booking this cruise, we have racked up $1400 in AAA vouchers.

I will not bash Carnival, but you know where my heart is. ;)

I have some great memories on CCL. Our family had a 90% great cruise on Conquest last yr. (Slower but at least pleasant service.) My sis and her British in law family will be on it in Oct again and I'll be curious if they still have a great service, if my lousy experience was mainly limited to the CCL Dream due to masses of people and overworked short staffed ship or if its being felt on the Conquest style ships too. I really hope for a great cruise for them and they are going to Roatan which is a plus.

As far as where my heart is, I clean house to happy Disney music and literally wear a mermaid tail to swim/snorkel (no snorkel, just tail and goggles) in the ocean. Poor CCL never stood a chance once I dipped my fin into DC cruising...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Archived