Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Jacqui, I agree, there should have been some warning and a date given when this would be implemented. That is why I was actually a bit shocked and thought it would not happen till fall.

Now I could be totally wrong and this is only a total guess on my part not from anything that has been mentioned to me but with the out cry from many Mariners they may revise this to mirror Princess and this could get redefined quickly

Just my two cents but I almost would have rather they done something like NCL where you can bring on as much as you want but you pay corkage fee up front and they place a sticker on the bottle. While there still would have been many screaming it would have calmed down the majority.

I would be OK with that as well.

Jacqui, I agree, there should have been some warning and a date given when this would be implemented. That is why I was actually a bit shocked and thought it would not happen till fall.

Now I could be totally wrong and this is only a total guess on my part not from anything that has been mentioned to me but with the out cry from many Mariners they may revise this to mirror Princess and this could get redefined quickly

Just my two cents but I almost would have rather they done something like NCL where you can bring on as much as you want but you pay corkage fee up front and they place a sticker on the bottle. While there still would have been many screaming it would have calmed down the majority.

The bolding is mine Lisa - although some may disagree - this is what I was expecting and i would have agreed to this. It would have been a fair compromise IMO. Those that wanted to bring their wine on could and those to whom it makes no difference needn't worry about it.

I find all the drama entertaining. "Shocked" "Speechless" "Worst Day Of My Life"

Plus all the business HAL has lost in a single day. So far we have 187 people who just canceled a $10,000 suite because they can't tote wine aboard. It's a change in the wine policy... you're not losing a kidney.

I wouldn't be so sure of that - probably can't find an itinerary to match the Prinsendam's and we do like the ship - and hopefully by then this will be straightened out - if not....

IF we sail HAL, we will not sail the same cabin as before - we will sail in a cheaper one unless we get an upsell. Why pay full price if you can't even enjoy a decent bottle of wine?

And yes, we will be looking at other lines - we sailed them before - we became loyal to HAL because we liked the ships and the policies - times change and so can we.

I sent HAL my email on day one - they can do what they want with it and I can do what I want with my wallet and where I will spend my cruise $$.

Each to their own;)

Haven't been into CC for a bit, and this is what I return to....

Holy cow batman! :eek:

We don't drink much wine but do enjoy it while onboard. But the thought of the 37 day Med cruise we took last year without the ability to bring back a bottle of wine while in the different ports is a huge disappointment. Part of a trip like that is the local food and wine and this policy severely restricts that enjoyment......:rolleyes:

I feel so badly for those who are headed to Europe for their upcoming cruises. Having already paid final payments, they have truly been "duped". Yes, I know that the language in the cruise contract allows HAL to do this, their attorneys wrote it that way.....

It's a shame, and makes me rethink less restrictive recreation options....

I was made aware of this many months ago, and Have mentioned here on CC numerous time that I knew this was going to happen. I remember several months ago being told I was wrong and this would not happen. I have also posted that there was a change that was going to be a shock to many. I was told shortly after HAL had their annual conference in May that this would be implemented very soon. I just happened to be on the phone with HAL yesterday morning in regards to the Explore4 and talking to a Rep that I frequently have talked with and he said you know that they started yesterday on the ships the new Wine policy. He stated it was all a shock to them as well that it was implemented so quickly.

No, TA's have not been officially given this information.

Lisa,

This thread “Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday” makes absolute no sense! Holland America has never allowed passengers to bring onboard “unlimited quantities of wine”. I suppose there might have been some change in their policy, but Holland America has always had an alcohol policy that was similar to other major cruise lines. Official policy is one thing, and enforcement is quite another. I will be very surprised if HAL is going to start searching passenger luggage and confiscating a few bottles of wine. Princess has the same wine policy and I’ve never seen it enforced. This would require a huge amount of additional work for crewmembers that are already stressed out on turn-around day. Of course, a HAL rep is going to tell you that it will be enforced. What do you expect them to say?

Ron

Lisa,

This thread “Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday” makes absolute no sense! Holland America has never allowed passengers to bring onboard “unlimited quantities of wine”. I suppose there might have been some change in their policy, but Holland America has always had an alcohol policy that was similar to other major cruise lines. Official policy is one thing, and enforcement is quite another. I will be very surprised if HAL is going to start searching passenger luggage and confiscating a few bottles of wine. Princess has the same wine policy and I’ve never seen it enforced. This would require a huge amount of additional work for crewmembers that are already stressed out on turn-around day. Of course, a HAL rep is going to tell you that it will be enforced. What do you expect them to say?

Ron

Yes, Holland America did allow "unlimited quantities of wine" before this change.

And, on my last RCI cruise, they counted the wine I was bringing aboard at security before boarding the ship. Celebrity did the same thing - counted the bottles at security before getting to the ship. It's not difficult to do.

Lisa,

Ron

IMO, easy to do since luggage are all X rayed when they are loaded on the ship. Just put aside the luggage with liquor in them, then talk to the owners.

Haven't been into CC for a bit, and this is what I return to....

Holy cow batman! :eek:

We don't drink much wine but do enjoy it while onboard. But the thought of the 37 day Med cruise we took last year without the ability to bring back a bottle of wine while in the different ports is a huge disappointment. Part of a trip like that is the local food and wine and this policy severely restricts that enjoyment......:rolleyes:

I feel so badly for those who are headed to Europe for their upcoming cruises. Having already paid final payments, they have truly been "duped". Yes, I know that the language in the cruise contract allows HAL to do this, their attorneys wrote it that way.....

It's a shame, and makes me rethink less restrictive recreation options....

And I'm thinking of people who may have already left for Europe before a cruise and don't know about this. We always go a minimum of 2 days, sometimes a week, ahead of a cruise. I don't check CC while I'm in Europe, as I don't have the time or sometimes the ability to do that. I'm imagining them happily planning their wine purchases before the cruise, only to have all but 1 bottle/pp confiscated when they board. :(

I've read repeatedly in this thread how great Celebrity's wine list and wine prices are.

What I don't understand is if they are so much more to your liking, why are you not sailing their ships? :confused: Even before HAL's policy change if you liked Celebrity's choices so much, why were you lugging wine to HAL when you could have simply enjoyed the wine list on board "X's" ships?

Doesn't make sense to me.

As someone who cruises with multiple cruise lines, I enjoy reading comparisons of what different lines offer. On my one HAL cruise we brought 5 bottles on with us -- we took each of them to the dining room and happily paid corkage. We also bought 6 bottles from HAL, and used beverage cards purchased from HAL. That was what we had decided to do based on researching the Holland America wine list before our cruise and identifying bottles we either knew we liked or were interested in trying.

Our plan for our first Celebrity cruise in September is different, and again that's based on the line's policies and what they offer. On that cruise we will have a 30% discount on bottles of wine because we have the premium beverage package. There's no need to budget for things like water, soft-drinks or specialty coffees, because they're all included. I'm limited to 2 bottles at embarkation, but as it's a wine cruise I'm permitted to bring wines from the vineyards back onto the ship in the various ports.

When we cruise on Royal Caribbean we have a different plan. I think their wine list is decent and we love their wine bar, but their wine package is awful and I think their unlimited beverage package is horrendous. When we take a Royal Caribbean cruise we need to plan for lots of wine purchases as well as other alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

I guess to answer your question, it's not just about how much wine is allowed. We consider everything -- itinerary, price, wine, excursions, etc. before we reserve a cruise. Just because someone thinks Celebrity has a good wine list doesn't mean they like everything about the line. Someone asked, and the list got posted in comparison.

I don't have a HAL cruise booked right now, so I don't have a horse in this race so to speak, but I am surprised at the way this was rolled out so suddenly and apparently rigidly. From what I've read on this thread, in my opinion the most sensible policy among mass-market cruise lines appears to belong to Princess! Their policy allows for more than 2 bottles per cabin to be brought on board, ensures they will get their corkage fee, and permits wine to be carried on in ports-of-call.

Yes, Holland America did allow "unlimited quantities of wine" before this change.

And, on my last RCI cruise, they counted the wine I was bringing aboard at security before boarding the ship. Celebrity did the same thing - counted the bottles at security before getting to the ship. It's not difficult to do.

IMO, easy to do since luggage are all X rayed when they are loaded on the ship. Just put aside the luggage with liquor in them, then talk to the owners.

I agree that carry-on luggage can be easily checked for alcohol, but checking the other luggage is quite another problem. Checked baggage is not x-rayed. The porter places it in those wire baskets and the luggage is taken directly to the ship.

Were the RCI and Celebrity cruises out of Florida to the Caribbean? These cruises along with Mexico draw the most scrutiny. NCL out of LAX checks your carry-on and checked luggage.

You may be right about the old Holland America policy, but I don’t recall any cruise line having an “unlimited wine policy”. I would have to see the old policy in writting.

I will be really surprised to see strict enforcement out of HAL and PCL except maybe on Caribbean cruises. I was in Tamp in March for a HAL cruise and saw passengers headed to the CCL pier with cases of beer under their arms. I’m sure this was confiscated. I’ve never cruised on CCL, but I understand they have very strict enforcement.

Ron

Sangria is made from relatively cheap red wine. For each GALLON, add one apple, one orange, cut into slices. One cup of sugar.

You must let it sit for about a week to enable the sugar to 'work'.

Best way is it make it in a five gallon water-cooler type container. Put all the fruit and sugar it and then to the top with wine. Serve chilled or over ice.

The longer you let it sit or the more sugar you add you increase the 'taste' to higher levels of inebriation.

Enjoy!

Stephen

Right topsham, so tell me is that happening on a ship? Nope. Pre made is the only way. Quint is the best available sangria, and HAL does not carry it. Or any other type for that matter.

Edited by surfergirle

Right topsham, so tell me is that happening on a ship? Nope. Pre made is the only way. Quint is the best available sangria, and HAL does not carry it. Or any other type for that matter.

Just a ditto that I love Sangria, too, and it seems like a great drink to offer on a warm weather cruise especially. :)

Edited by peaches from georgia

Surfergirl -dh is Spanish & Mexican origen. I have 2 recipes for white and red sangria that are in Spanish in origin. They do not have to be made a week in advance and go over big time at my summer parties.

If you want to email me (in my signature) I will be happy to share the recipes with you. You could easily provide these to HAL and they could be made for you.

And, despite what Stephen posted (Topsham) they are authentic sangria recipes and do not take days. Not arguing with him - just saying:D

We were just on a Celebrity cruise and you cannot bring more than one bottle of wine on the cruise with you board, so it will not be any different than Hal. The purchase of a bottle of wine on the ship was a better deal than Hal, I am sorry to say. The bottle of wine we purchased on Celebrity was $14 less than Hal. However the purchase of a bottle of Cdn Club is a good deal when purchased on Hal as compared to Celebrity ($80 + 6 cans of pop). So for that reason I like Hal better for sure.

You are missing the point, its not about money.

X has a industry leading all inclusive beverage package, one could taste till they find what they like, they also have a very extensive wine list that HAL does not.

Surfergirl -dh is Spanish & Mexican origen. I have 2 recipes for white and red sangria that are in Spanish in origin. They do not have to be made a week in advance and go over big time at my summer parties.

If you want to email me (in my signature) I will be happy to share the recipes with you. You could easily provide these to HAL and they could be made for you.

And, despite what Stephen posted (Topsham) they are authentic sangria recipes and do not take days. Not arguing with him - just saying:D

Thanks hun,

I do make a lot at home, and i would def not try to make it on a ship. So by the bottle is perfect. Im going to try and see if they will special order it first.

http://Www.quintllc.com

If not ill be emailing!

Thanks hun,

I do make a lot at home, and i would def not try to make it on a ship. So by the bottle is perfect. Im going to try and see if they will special order it first.

http://Www.quintllc.com

If not ill be emailing!

no worries - I wasn't suggesting you make it on board - the recipe could be made by the bar tenders easily:D

good luck with the special order:)

Lisa, I'm not sure if anyone has thanked you yet for informing us of this change. If not...

THANK YOU!!!

Now, we'll "know before we go."

What's sad about this is... apparently you had to have "inside information", and other TA's were not informed, nor were pax with cruises in the near future. Had it not been for Lisa's post, I would have turned up for my cruise with more than the allowed quota of wine and would have been embarrassed and angry with the lack of communication on HAL's part.

I guess for some folks bringing wine on is the be all and end all and trumps everything. I also don't understand people being horrified at having to use paper towels in a bathroom. Imagine, I've worked for over 30 years and have used paper towels the whole time and lived through it:D.

You have paper towels??????? We have a hand dryer :)

Yes, I think we all reacted so quickly that many of us (myself especially) neglected to thank Lisa for this heads up:D

At least we know - forewarned is forearmed.

Thank you Lisa for the heads up:)

I pity those not on cruise critic who are about to be caught off guard

What's sad about this is... apparently you had to have "inside information", and other TA's were not informed, nor were pax with cruises in the near future. Had it not been for Lisa's post, I would have turned up for my cruise with more than the allowed quota of wine and would have been embarrassed and angry with the lack of communication on HAL's part.

Is this policy now in the cruise documents which we all are required to read each time we board? That is sufficient notice really. But the biggest issue is the ambiguity of the new policy which does not sound that much different from the old policy, except for this very explicit limitation on day of embarkation carry-on.

Beyond that, it is not as clear as people are making it out to be. It will be interesting to get first hand reports from people on the cruises where this change is now taking effect.

Surely they can make a jug of Sangria for you? It shouldn't be beyond the barman's capabilities?

Im def not going to be buying a jug at a time, we take pre bottled sangria usually, its not messy, it lasts longer, etc. but i am hoping they will either special order me some bottles, or make it and sell it to me by the glass.

Quint sangria is whats being sold at a lot of places here in the wine country, it does not have the musty, fermented taste that cheap bottled sangria has.

http://Www.quintllc.com but it is $8 a glass and $32 for a jug,band WELL worth every penny.

My DH, only wine he drinks is Sangria, ( because he just discovered it) he also drinks sparkling wine ( flavored like almond, or sparkling shiraz)...

Hopefully they can just special order what we need, ( ports, sparkling wine etc)

Then the only issue with HAL will be how they didn't tell clients, who gave them money, planned vacations, in good faith under the old policy... They did not tell travel agent partners either...

I am 18 points away from achieving 4-star status and am past the full payment date for a 7-night outing in September that will get me down to single digits. And there, I fear, is where it will end.

As some of you know, Sis and I spend freely in the MDR and the various lounges onboard. We have never taken wine from our cabin out into the public areas but we do enjoy a pre-dinner drink and nightcap back in the room.

Now, if I’m getting this right, we’ll need to call room service – probably around the same time as all the other folks who care for a pre-dinner drink in their cabins – and wait while the ever-shrinking number of servers scurry to keep up with increased demand. And we’ll pay handsomely for the privilege.

I used to think that the Mariner program was in place to reward and nurture the relationships with loyal customers. Now I’m realizing that it’s actually more of an “expiration date.” By the time that fourth star is in reach, the list of “things of I used to love about HAL” is long and yellowed.

Does anyone have a link to the prices for “In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages….”

And thanks, Lisa, for the heads-up.