Your Time Dining

jayman31

Just got back from the Canadian East Coast cruise aboard the Glory...we always use the Your Time dining...I don't know if others have noticed this but it seemed they packed the people into the dining room and the tables for 2 were very close to each other, might as well of put us at a table for 4 as that is what it felt like. Also noticed that the service seemed slower as the wait staff had several tables to deal with all at various stages of the meal.

This was the first time I felt cramped while eating...I've used this option on the Freedom and Victory in the past and it didn't feel like this....curious if others are noticing this as well...

I always noticed that. Lots of times the tables were just inches apart. One time even the ship photographer was confused, and he asked a guy taking picture with the lady at the next table.

I defintely think the tables were too close. DH made a joke about needing to hurry up and eat to watch a game on tv. The woman next to us started to huff and looked like she was going to say something. She never did, but at work people jumping into other people's conversations is a pet peeve, so I really didn't want it to happen at dinner.

However on another night I went by myself with my I-pad and the couple next to me kept engaging me in conversation, which didn't bother me.

Frankly I am surprised at the number of couples who want to eat alone. There's usually 1000+ passengers on any given ship. We ask for a large table so we can converse with other passengers and get to know folks. If we want a night to ourselves, we get a table for 2 in a specialty dining room.

Frankly I am surprised at the number of couples who want to eat alone. There's usually 1000+ passengers on any given ship. We ask for a large table so we can converse with other passengers and get to know folks. If we want a night to ourselves, we get a table for 2 in a specialty dining room.

On Carnival in Your Time Dining we always ask for a large table and say we'd like to share. Still, we are quite often seated at a table for two ... but they are so close together it feels as if we're at a larger table. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

What is so surprising? I don't know about another couples but I work nights and my wife works days so we never see each other until the weekend so like to be by ourselves so we can catch up.

I'm sure others have their reasons too.:)

Bill

The best tip I can give you about this is to get a table that is in the middle of the section, this way you are much further away. I found a table that I liked and requested it each night.

You can also try and get a table next to the windows, that way there is only a table on one side of yours. Still close but you can always gaze out the window if you don't want to look at the guests at the next table. ;)

For those who have not sat at a 2-top table, here's a photo (I've posted this several times in the past year) from the Freedom from last year.

100_2224.jpg

You can also try and get a table next to the windows, that way there is only a table on one side of yours. Still close but you can always gaze out the window if you don't want to look at the guests at the next table. ;)

For those who have not sat at a 2-top table, here's a photo (I've posted this several times in the past year) from the Freedom from last year.

100_2224.jpg

Good Photo ... Exactly what they look like!

LuLu

~~~~

When we had Anytime Dining the tables for 2 were in the middle but maybe that depends on the ship. What we also noticed was we'd get there shortly after the dining room was open and be seated but the wait staff didn't take any ordered until they had at least 3 or 4 tables filled. That could be a 15 minute wait at time and very uncomfortable.

WE always get table for 2 while cruising. We meet enough people at other times throughout the trip so don't feel the need to meet them at dinner. We prefer to eat alone and enjoy each others company. After some of the patrons I've come across I'd rather be by ourselves. LOL The last cruise were were seated just us two but there was a woman at the next table with a group. She started hacking and hacking. It was disgusting. She wasn't in need of the heimlich but it was nasty. Finally she coughed up what sounded like a hairball and thought it fit to hold up this green lima bean and tell everyone in shouting distance that look! she coughed it up! was stuck in back of her throat. LOL If I could eat in a room totally alone with just the husband I probably would afte that episode.

100_2224.jpg

When we sailed on the Norwegian Crown, the tables for 2 were set up like that. The problem we found that it was like you were at a larger table, but were at different stages of your meal. You neither had the privacy of a table for 2, or the benefit of fellow cruisers you could converse with. The one night that we and the folks at the next table were seated at approximately the same time was the only one in which we had a stimulating conversation with the people seated so close to us.

Need to remember that the tables were placed for set time dining and pulled apart for ATD. Same 8 people in the same place.

Don't believe that is correct. ATD is usually in a different dining room or a different area. They don't change the tables around for one or the other.

Archived