Paper Luggage Tags

A2ZMOMMY

I do just as the instructions say, no extra tape or holders or laminating or anything,

and I have never had one fall off, or my bag not get to me.

I read about folks going to all sorts of extremes... :D

I put maybe five staples into the plain folded paper (staples located sensibly)

and have never had any trouble, no mangling, no nearly-torn-off...

I do just as the instructions say, no extra tape or holders or laminating or anything, and I have never had one fall off, or my bag not get to me.

For our last cruise I had some card stock paper that I used to print our luggage tags and folded them as it says to do. That worked really well. I also put tags and cards with my name and phone number in case our luggage got lost.

We have never had to deal with printing our own luggage tags before and are somewhat concerned with them coming off when we hand our luggage over at check in. We are thinking of buying contact paper or self-laminating sheets to cover the tags and are wondering what others experiences have been. We are looking forward to our Carnival Glory cruise on 8/19 (celebrating our son's 9th birthday on 8/23). Thanks in advance for the input.:confused:

Don't even worry. You do not even need them, the porter has tags they can hand write your room and loop them on to the right place. We never remember to put the paper tags Carnival sends up on the luggage.

We fold them in thirds and run a single strip of clear packing tape down the length of them and fold a bit over at the ends. Fold and hole punch and use a zip tie. The tape keeps the important parts dry and keeps the zip tie from ripping thru the paper.

Ditto - or as an alternative, I pull an extra inch or so of tape off the roll and turn it over the open end after I put it around the handle. Never lost a tag or a piece of luggage yet.

Another poster noted that you get a different set of tags for debarkation. As far as identifying luggage during debark, I take a piece of the super-bright colored Duck Tape (I did TOO spell it right, go to the store and look ;) ) and wrap it round the handle... I've noticed that other people are doing that also, so I've started wrapping two or more colors to make a color code.

I don't like putting my name and address on the outside of a bag, but I do put an index card with my name, address, phone and cellphone numbers, booking number and cabin in a non-locking pocket of each bag, and another inside the main compartment.

ADDED: We drive to the port, so we put a brightly colored tag that says "CARRY ON" on the bags we don't want the porters to take, (including camera bags and my wife's purse) using a different colored paper than the color on the luggage tags. I get the Super-Bright papers from Wal-Mart or OfficeMax, and use a printer to add the words top-and-bottom center, then fold and attach it the same way as the luggage tags.

If you get luggage tags from the CC store, don't try to fold and stuff the whole sheet of paper into the carrier. Trim the luggage tag where it says Fold #1 and #2, then make the #3 fold and push that into the carrier - much easier and faster.

I bought some of the luggage tags that CC sells. This month they have 20% off your entire order. They just came in the mail today, look really nice. They are reusable, you wouldn't have to laminate the paper luggage tags at all.

Like everyone else I use packing tape and a tiny staple gun I slip in my purse. No one has ever lost my luggage but just to make sure I also have made fluorescent yarn pom-poms on all our pieces of luggage. I also put a sheet of paper right inside my luggage with our name, cell#, and our destination or cruise ship name and cabin #. Then just to seal the deal I take pictures of all our pieces.

Go on the cruise critic shop and purchase the set of 4 luggage tag holders....we bought a set last year and they work wonders.

Just print your luggage tags, fold them and slide em in the luggage tag. Before the CC luggage tag holders we used packing tape to laminate our tags

We just folded and then stapled, didn't have any issues. For a box of diapers, we taped it to the box.

The only time we ever had a problem with tags was on a different line where the tags were stickers. Seemed dummy=proof, but they managed to lose our luggage and we spent an hour walking around the ship until we finally found it sitting in a random hallway! :mad:

We used to do the whole staple & tape thing, until I decided it'd be easier to just buy luggage tag holders. These are awesome; I think we've used them for at least ten cruises. Definitely worth the less than $3.00 each.

Not able to post the link; Google Favors by Serendipity and you'll find them...

I print my tags but don't put them on myself. I have the porter do it when we get to the port. They always have staplers and the less time they are on the bags the less chance they have to fall off. Also put a copy inside each bag.

I'm so glad you posted this question! It made me realize I don't have a stapler or clear packing tape! Will add them to my cruise shopping list! We have fttf for our cruise so I want to make sure I have the emblem on my luggage tags!

Just bought some luggage tags from the website which sells a lot of stuff, Anazon (intentionally misspelled ;)) Around 18 bucks for several, which should last more than several cruises, probably a lifetime. Much easier better that the hassle of using packing tape. :)

I've used the self-laminating pouches from WalMart, which are pretty cheap. Once laminated, I drill a hole in them, and attached with zip ties. I have seen mostly tags of just paper, or laminated with packing and scotch tape which have made it to the cabin.

Just bought some luggage tags from the website which sells a lot of stuff, Anazon (intentionally misspelled ;)) Around 18 bucks for several, which should last more than several cruises, probably a lifetime. Much easier better that the hassle of using packing tape. :)

What hassle?

So... thanks to this thread I have spent the $16.00 lol...

I usually just "laminate" with packing tape too. Never had an issue but at the rate I'm taking these cruises lately (;)) ... figure it's worth the money to just buy the plastic holders.

Archived