What fruit is this?

greenie082756

On the Golden my DH and I saw people eating a colorful fruit that looked spiney on the outside and you had to cut it in half to get to the "bulb" inside. I just saw a photo on the main page of CC. What is it called? What does it taste like?

On the Golden my DH and I saw people eating a colorful fruit that looked spiney on the outside and you had to cut it in half to get to the "bulb" inside. I just saw a photo on the main page of CC. What is it called? What does it taste like?

Are you referring perhaps to Rumbutan? I haven't seen the photo.

It is called a Chinese sucker. The fruit is an oval shape and about 3-6 cm in diameter. Inside the slightly hard, but easily peal able skin, you can find a soft fruit that tastes slightly sweet, with a possible sour tinge.

It is called a Chinese sucker. The fruit is an oval shape and about 3-6 cm in diameter. Inside the slightly hard, but easily peal able skin, you can find a soft fruit that tastes slightly sweet, with a possible sour tinge.

Thank you for answering my question. Pia was correct, the proper name is Rumbutan. All I know is that there was a long line to get it. Very interesting fruit. :)

Manven2 -- It’s an Asian fruit, mostly from Indonesia and Malaysia. Many in Singapore call it a Singapore Lychee - trying to re-brand it as 'local'. Hence, many people who cruise into and out of Singapore tend to think of them as Lychees, but there is no such thing as a Singapore Lychee – it is, of course, a Rambutan (I lived in Singapore for 3 years).

We are to be on the Golden in September, so hopefully I will remember to look for this fruit, and try it out.:) I think I will remember the name, as it is easier for me to remember an "odd" name than a normal name.

We are to be on the Golden in September, so hopefully I will remember to look for this fruit, and try it out.:) I think I will remember the name, as it is easier for me to remember an "odd" name than a normal name.

Apparently, there is a variety grown in Panama, Costa Rica, and Puerto Rico, so look for it in the Caribbean, also.

"A species regularly sold in Costa Rican markets may be known as "wild" rambutan. Yellow in color, it is smaller than the usual red variety. The flesh exposed when the outer skin is peeled off is sweet and sour, slightly grape-like and gummy to the taste. In Panama and Costa Rican Spanish, it is known as mamón chino ("Chinese Sucker") due to its Asian origin and the likeness of the edible part with Melicoccus bijugatus. The fruit has been successfully transplanted by grafting in Puerto Rico." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan

There was a tropical fruit buffet set up outside the Horizon Court one day during my December cruise. Maybe because it was a Hawaiian cruise.

We had the same thing the night we were in Honolulu with a late departure. That buffet was fantastic, especially the exotic fruits. Better than the dining room on that night!

On both of our cruises on the Diamond last year, we were given a huge

bowl of fruits. These included, Dragon, Mangosteen, Rambutan, Pomelo, Catambola, also Mangos. We lived in Asia for several years and we exicted to see so many of our favourites. The also had a fruit buffet, with Jack fruit and several other fruits that we did not know.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived