August 9th celebrity millenium. Engine problems!

carla748

Has anyone heard about what Celebrity plans to do for the August 16th sailing from Vancouver. We are scheduled to fly to Vancouver on Wednesday, and, so far, my travel agent has heard nothing from Celebrity, and we have received no e-mails from Celebrity, either.

Don't want to fly across country if there won't be a sailing on Friday. Any news (and not rumors) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[quote name='ccsuwxman']Has anyone heard about what Celebrity plans to do for the August 16th sailing from Vancouver. We are scheduled to fly to Vancouver on Wednesday, and, so far, my travel agent has heard nothing from Celebrity, and we have received no e-mails from Celebrity, either.

Don't want to fly across country if there won't be a sailing on Friday. Any news (and not rumors) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Millie's August 9 sailing is [I]expected[/I] to arrive Vancouver on schedule at 7:00am August 16 per Celebrity's official info on the subject. If this turns out to be case, then the August 16 sailing would depart on schedule as planned. I don't think Celebrity would issue any further (or different) information on August 16's sailing as long as the ship departs Seward on Tuesday as is the current expectation. If the ship is further delayed past Tuesday in Seward, only then would I expect new and different info from your TA or Celebrity.

[quote name='Ontario Cruiser']We were to sail on the Millie from Auckland to Sydney I think it was March 2008 and they had to cancel due to mechanical failure just a week before sailing and gave us a full refund and free cruise and paid some monies for air cancellation if not booked through Celebrity.
Ontario Cruiser[/quote]
Hi,
[B]THAT[/B] was the episode I was referring to in my earlier post. It was the last known [B]''pod''-[/B]related disruption affecting the ''M'' class.
Cheers

[quote name='ccsuwxman']Has anyone heard about what Celebrity plans to do for the August 16th sailing from Vancouver. We are scheduled to fly to Vancouver on Wednesday, and, so far, my travel agent has heard nothing from Celebrity, and we have received no e-mails from Celebrity, either.

Don't want to fly across country if there won't be a sailing on Friday. Any news (and not rumors) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

Hi,
The only [B][I]real life- factual[/I][/B] information you'll get is tuesday: that's when , according to the [U]current[/U] plan, the repairs would be completed and Millie would sail away direct to Vancouver. If she does not sail away by tuesday early evening, then the arrival in Vancouver in good enough time to allow a proper turn around and normal embarkation for the 16th Aug northbound voyage will be compromised.
If you presume the parts are arriving today from France ( according to the current schedule) , then, they're on track as 2 days are needed to perform the repairs.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear....but might as well focus only on what you know now....and enjoy life....:cool:

Cheers

p.s.; if you're '' stuck'' in Vancouver for one day, there are FAR WORSE
places in the world to be marooned in.....of course, I'm Biased...I live,work and cruise here !!!!:D

I agree that it would appear that X has had this incident in hand. They should have. They have had a lot of experience since the early 2000's with these issues and over time have got it all figured out..or at least until something new happens. As reported above there have been few issues since 08 or so.

FYI: All of the problems with the pods have always been described as Electrical in the first instance as I recall so no need to be picky. We can be picky about the make of the pods though.

Azipods are a brand name and are not used on X ships. I think there have been far fewer problems with their use by other cruise lines.

Mermaid Pods are the ones on the M class. Huge settlements have been negotiated over their issues.

Regardless of the Settlements & perks between Passengers onboard for this cancelled cruise I feel for them. But ship does happen.

I am pleased to see the way Celebrity has reacted on this occasion and hope they maintain their present high standard of planning at such incidents in the future.

I can tell you that it is easy to say from the comfort of your home that the compensation is more than fair. As an agent I agree it has been quite generous.

On the other side of it, I have two clients part of this family who are making a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska in the twilight of their years. More than likely they will not be able to return. While they are all making lemonade out of lemons. Four days in Seward and a group of sea days to Vancouver was not the experience for which they had hoped.

The airfare was quite significant for an open jaw airline ticket to ANC and return from YVR. While yes they are getting a cruise, and I know the contract says what it says, it is still far from the same!

You make a very good point, and I feel for those clients of yours. However, I do feel that X has gone above and beyond their obligations under the Contract of Carriage.

I have family on this ship and my question is, they are using their point system from their Time share. Would they just get the same as if they purchased through the cruiseline or Travel Agent? And what about insurance would this cover anything the cruiseline didnt?

Dorene

I can't speak definitively to the issue of using time share points but I will guess, and this is only a guess, that the price of that stateroom at the time of either booking or sailing, will determine the price paid as compensation.

So if the date that they booked, had they paid cash instead of using points, that is the credit they would receive. But it might also be that the price used would be whatever it was as of the sail date.

As to the insurance question, probably there would be no coverage. After all, the cruise happened, just in a severely altered form. The cruise contract states that the line can alter the itinerary at any time, and basically for any reason.

But each insurance policy is different, so there is no way to tell what your family's policy might or might not cover.

But what extra expenses might they be incurring as a result of the engine trouble?

I did the Northbound in May and had a great time. But if this would have been me I would have lost close to $6000 in airfares, hotels and car hire bookings if I had to try and reschedule, let alone the problems of getting more time of work

Why would you have lost anything? Why would you reschedule? So far everyone will be back on time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm not sure I'm understanding the $6000 either. The cruise was not cancelled. The passengers all boarded the ship. They didn't find out ahead of time that there was a problem. There was no opportunity to decide to stay home. They boarded, and the ship has become a floating hotel.

Perhaps if one had a pre-paid, non-refundable private shore excursion at one of the missed ports, then that money might be lost. Or a pre-paid car rental that could not be cancelled for one of the port days.

But otherwise, the cruise is happening, in some form or another. And presumably the ship will transport the passengers to Vancouver this week.

A request for those currently on the Millennium. Please let us know when the repairs start, and any status updates that you're aware of.

We're on the August 16th cruise and are hoping that our cruise departs as scheduled.

We hope that you're enjoying your floating hotel and are able to arrange tours from Seward. If you have to be stranded, Seward is a good base.

FYI: All of the problems with the pods have always been described as Electrical in the first instance as I recall so no need to be picky. We can be picky about the make of the pods though.

Azipods are a brand name and are not used on X ships. I think there have been far fewer problems with their use by other cruise lines.

Mermaid Pods are the ones on the M class. Huge settlements have been negotiated over their issues.

Hi,

You're right about the nomenclature I used in my opinion re; ''pods'' . Thanks for pointing this out.

You also have a good point in so far as, in the early years, ''electrical problems'' was the ''one size fit all'' explanation offered by the lines in cases of Mermaids ( and other) pods ''incidents''.....Which is precisely why I felt it would be easy for anybody to cross that line in the sand and think'' oh no, those pods again''....and it happened. Starting with my own initial reaction when I spotted early Friday morning that Millie was not in Seward....then showed up a bit before 09;00hr...Guess what this ''preacher'' thought at first!!!" Oh no, I hope it's not those **** pods again"";).. I just thought it would be appropriate to suggest the distinction.

Thanks for your opinions.

Cheers

I can't speak definitively to the issue of using time share points but I will guess, and this is only a guess, that the price of that stateroom at the time of either booking or sailing, will determine the price paid as compensation.

So if the date that they booked, had they paid cash instead of using points, that is the credit they would receive. But it might also be that the price used would be whatever it was as of the sail date.

As to the insurance question, probably there would be no coverage. After all, the cruise happened, just in a severely altered form. The cruise contract states that the line can alter the itinerary at any time, and basically for any reason.

But each insurance policy is different, so there is no way to tell what your family's policy might or might not cover.

But what extra expenses might they be incurring as a result of the engine trouble?

Thank You, was not sure if it would go back on points or if they would receive a check. New to the point system and they asked me if I knew what happens. While everyone is happy to get a new cruise. This cruise is on my brothers bucket list as he is in remission of Lung Cancer and we don't know if he can do this again. But if I know him, he is going to enjoy what time his is given while on the ship, still it breaks my heart as he was looking so forward to this.

I have family on this ship and my question is, they are using their point system from their Time share. Would they just get the same as if they purchased through the cruiseline or Travel Agent? And what about insurance would this cover anything the cruiseline didnt?

Dorene

I believe Cruisestitch is correct. When we used our TS points for our last cruise I asked how it was handled if either I or the cruise company canceled. The answer was that it is treated just like cash. So your family would get the price of the cruise and the credit amount as of the day of booking. Other expenses not covered like airfare, etc would depend on your insurance company.

So, 3 cruises for the price of none don't make them happy? What will?

I understand being disappointed but the reality of it is, it is what it is.

With due respect, we do not know everyone's circumstances. For many people an Alaska cruise is a once in a lifetime event which they may never be able to recreate ever again due to age, money, or other circumstances. We should not be so cavalier in judgment of others without knowing them IMHO.

Dorene1 wrote: While everyone is happy to get a new cruise. This cruise is on my brothers bucket list as he is in remission of Lung Cancer and we don't know if he can do this again. But if I know him, he is going to enjoy what time his is given while on the ship

Inevitably out of 2,000+ people, some on the ship will be in situations like his. But Celebrity is not only offering another cruise, it is making the current changed one available for FREE. They are also bending over backwards to try to give pax interesting experiences in Seward. Illness before, during and after trips can happen to anyone.

Accidents & illness has happened to me/us twice in the past few years, delaying or curtailing trips severely. First was when we went to Hawaii, our plans were changed when a tsunami from Chile hit the Big Island's east coast. Believe me the ocean (which ultimately didn't do much damage there, thankfully), didn't pay for a change in planes, a hotel reservation, a canceled car rental, and trying to find another hotel at a cost of thrice the original one! This after a bout with a local norovirus sent us both to the local hospital ER, and delayed our leaving home by one day, costing an extra $500. in airplane change costs.

I hope your brother and others can schedule another interesting cruise quickly.

There are some who have commented in the USA Today story and the CC News section about the delay who seem unreasonable. Maybe should have had insurance with the 'cancel for any reason' coverage, and taken the offer of disembarking when they could. Big Pity Party :rolleyes: here for those who can't seem to be able to write off airline costs as a business expense. Even in Seward, there are shopping centers to be checked out, so his time isn't wasted.

I'm glad your brother is on a cruise ship where he should find it easy to avoid exposure to others second hand smoke and there are lots of healthy foods available. He'll still be able to enjoy the journey south through some amazing scenery - and Vancouver is wonderful. If he has extra time there, he might enjoy going up to the Whistler Blackcomb area. An almost sacred experience on an incredible gondola ride that just puts your heart in your throat in a good way was had in early July.

With a positive attitude, his remission should go further than even you hope possible! :) Best wishes!

I think Celebrity is doing a fabulous job of making the best of a very disappointing situation. I still contend that for a given number of people, this was a once in a lifetime cruise that can never be repeated for any number of reasons. I feel very sorry for those individuals and I don't like posts where people are putting them down as ungrateful or never satisfied/happy with anything.

As an example, I am looking into an Alaska cruise next year with all my children, their children and spouses/significant others. It is a significant investment for some of them in particular as far as time away from work and money. Were this to happen to us (heaven forbid:(), I would be appreciative of Celebrity's generosity but severely disappointed as it very realistically may never be able to be replicated. Getting the cruise money refunded certainly helps financially, but likely does not cover all the expenses involved (pre/post cruise hotels, pre-paid personally booked shore excursions and so on). It may take several years before they could once again afford such a trip, and with the current economy who knows if they ever could. Heaven forbid as well, we may not all be in the state of health needed to be able to recreate the trip.

Would we make the best of it? Yes, of course. Would I recognize Celebrity as doing all it could? Again, a big yes. But for people in these circumstances or similar who are politely expressing their frustration (and we may be surprised how many there are!) it is really unfair to state that in essence they are not happy with anything. This may very well not be the case. A little benefit of the doubt is called for IMHO.

With due respect, we do not know everyone's circumstances. For many people an Alaska cruise is a once in a lifetime event which they may never be able to recreate ever again due to age, money, or other circumstances. We should not be so cavalier in judgment of others without knowing them IMHO.

I can speak with knowledge.. Our first attempt to cruise to Alaska was stopped when my DH had a major heart attack. The second time we were going to try (this year) - he was diagnosed with cancer. He is now undergoing chemo after surgery. We may never get there.

Nevertheless, I do feel that those on the Millie right now have received an extremely good deal under the circumstances and I for one, would be extremely grateful - I feel a number are grumbling unnecessarily.

And yes, it's not what they expected but I still think 3 for the price of none is pretty darn good.

We've been in Seward for a planned three days in a B&B prior to our Princess cruise departing today from Whittier. Spoke with a Celebrity cruiser out at Exit Glacier yesterday who reported that the part had arrived on schedule and the repair was underway. There's really a lot to do here in this little town. Saturday We did a day cruise Kenai peninsula, glaciers and wildlife: sea otters, harbor seals, steller sea lions, dall porpoises (lots!), mountain goats, eagles, puffins, humpback whales (one breached!). All the more impressive to us because the previous day we'd gone to the Sea Life Center and learned all about the wildlife of the region. Also on this day cruise upfront with two groaning, cracking, calving glaciers, many more from a distance. The naturalist - national park ranger - was marvelous. One engine died about an our before the planned return, so we arrived more than two hours late. A lesson here for me - I'd booked and prepaid a 5 hour Prince William Sound cruise out of Whittier for today, returning 5:30, the Princess cruise departing 8:30. Realized that if there were a mechanical problem on this boat, too, we'd miss our Princess cruise! So I cancelled and the company did not charge the usual cancellation fee. Returned to our B&B and found a message from the next day's fishing excursion company - their boat we had broken down, too! So Sunday we did church, some shopping, the little Seward museum - very well done, including a film about the 1964 earthquake and sunami, and got a taxi out to Exit Glacier where we hiked right out to the edge of the glacier. Many other options in this town, and everyone we've talked with seems to be making the best of the situation. One cruiser mentioned that Celebrity has brought in additional shows and entertainers to provide more diversion. It's been cold and rainy, tho, and a little sunshine would help...

I'm not sure I'm understanding the $6000 either. The cruise was not cancelled. The passengers all boarded the ship. They didn't find out ahead of time that there was a problem. There was no opportunity to decide to stay home. They boarded, and the ship has become a floating hotel.

Perhaps if one had a pre-paid, non-refundable private shore excursion at one of the missed ports, then that money might be lost. Or a pre-paid car rental that could not be cancelled for one of the port days.

Imagine you have flown from Australia for an Alaska cruise. The cost of rebooking , flights etc is easily $6000. Might be well to say its a floating hotel. Thats not the reason for flying 40 hours of flights to take a cruise. If you wanted to see the ports then yes the cruise itinerary is effectively cancelled. Not saying X isnt handling the situation well so far but it would be a major dilemma for some. Not sure all insurances would cover all the losses

Though you and your DH are concerned & worried about health issues Lynnees, your post has put the situation in painful perspective. I don't think anyone here does not feel badly for people in a situation where they are between a rock and a hard place with this unhappy turn of events.

That is probably in part why Celebrity is handling this as generously as they are. Not only do they not want a lot of negative, negligent, poorly done public relations as exhibited recently by Silversea, Costa and Carnival (who is learning the hard way), but they know there are people aboard who are in compromised health, work and financial situations for which no amount of money will make up for a missed experience. It's the best they can do.

Unfortunately, there is probably now a fair amount of expertise within Celebrity's engineers on how to fix this electrical/pod situation. I'm sure if they could avoid the problem, with some sort of preventive maintenance, they would. People on the ship are probably working hard for long hours in physically difficult conditions to fix it. By the end of the cruise, I hope the pax give them a standing ovation for a safe journey!

(My Danish grandfather was a machinist on board ships, and he had to fix things en route. Master at the lathe. He eventually went to work at the Boston Navy yard.)

Can't speak for others, but anyone who is offended by my recent posts, please note one said, "There are SOME who have commented in the USA Today story and on the CC News section about the delay who seem unreasonable." This is not ALL, and really is just a few.

Hope your DH responds well to the chemo, and you (plural) have many more sailings out of harbors ahead!

And yes, it's not what they expected but I still think 3 for the price of none is pretty darn good.

Can you tell me how you calculated this? I keep trying, but I come up with 2 for the price of none...this week's refund and the 100% FCC. Am I missing something?:o

Can you tell me how you calculated this? I keep trying, but I come up with 2 for the price of none...this week's refund and the 100% FCC. Am I missing something?:o

I agree. They still paid for one cruise. They are getting only one refund and one future cruise credit, which equals two future cruises, not three. Another way of looking at it is that they still pay for the current cruise, but are getting two future cruises for free. A better way to describe this is three for the price of one.

Hi Cindy,

I also see it as a 3 for 1, in that the folks are onboard the current sailing for free (that's 1), they are getting a refund (that's 2) and a 100% FCC (that's 3). Of course, I can see how some might consider it as two, but that's my kooky logic :)

Either way, Celebrity has done a fantastic job of making things right, for those affected.

Archived