August 9th celebrity millenium. Engine problems!

carla748

Hi Cindy,

I also see it as a 3 for 1, in that the folks are onboard the current sailing for free (that's 1), they are getting a refund (that's 2) and a 100% FCC (that's 3). Of course, I can see how some might consider it as two, but that's my kooky logic :)

Either way, Celebrity has done a fantastic job of making things right, for those affected.

Andy, the refund (your #2) cancels out the current paid for cruise (your #1), so that really counts as one free cruise. With the additional FCC (your #3), that only makes it 2 free cruises. The current sailing is free ONLY because they are getting a refund for it. Put another way, you buy an apple and you notice there is a worm in it. The store gives you a refund towards that apple, and gives you another for your trouble. You only have two apples - one with a worm, and one hopefully without, all for the price of none. You can buy a third with the refund for the first, but you still pay for one of the three. :D

Put another way, you buy an apple and you notice there is a worm in it. The store gives you a refund towards that apple, and gives you another for your trouble. You only have two apples - one with a worm, and one hopefully without, all for the price of none. You can buy a third with the refund for the first, but you still pay for one of the three. :D

Would insurance cover the lost money from gas expenditures in traveling to and from the grocery store and reimburse and parking fees or tolls? :D

Andy, the refund (your #2) cancels out the current paid for cruise (your #1), so that really counts as one free cruise. With the additional FCC (your #3), that only makes it 2 free cruises. The current sailing is free ONLY because they are getting a refund for it. Put another way, you buy an apple and you notice there is a worm in it. The store gives you a refund towards that apple, and gives you another for your trouble. You only have two apples - one with a worm, and one hopefully without, all for the price of none. You can buy a third with the refund for the first, but you still pay for one of the three. :D

I would put it another way. You bought an apple then you ate it. It didn't taste right so the store gives you your money back plus another apple. If they didn't take this cruise and got their money back I would agree with 2 apples:D

Dorene1 wrote: While everyone is happy to get a new cruise. This cruise is on my brothers bucket list as he is in remission of Lung Cancer and we don't know if he can do this again. But if I know him, he is going to enjoy what time his is given while on the ship

Inevitably out of 2,000+ people, some on the ship will be in situations like his. But Celebrity is not only offering another cruise, it is making the current changed one available for FREE. They are also bending over backwards to try to give pax interesting experiences in Seward. Illness before, during and after trips can happen to anyone.

Accidents & illness has happened to me/us twice in the past few years, delaying or curtailing trips severely. First was when we went to Hawaii, our plans were changed when a tsunami from Chile hit the Big Island's east coast. Believe me the ocean (which ultimately didn't do much damage there, thankfully), didn't pay for a change in planes, a hotel reservation, a canceled car rental, and trying to find another hotel at a cost of thrice the original one! This after a bout with a local norovirus sent us both to the local hospital ER, and delayed our leaving home by one day, costing an extra $500. in airplane change costs.

I hope your brother and others can schedule another interesting cruise quickly.

There are some who have commented in the USA Today story and the CC News section about the delay who seem unreasonable. Maybe should have had insurance with the 'cancel for any reason' coverage, and taken the offer of disembarking when they could. Big Pity Party :rolleyes: here for those who can't seem to be able to write off airline costs as a business expense. Even in Seward, there are shopping centers to be checked out, so his time isn't wasted.

I'm glad your brother is on a cruise ship where he should find it easy to avoid exposure to others second hand smoke and there are lots of healthy foods available. He'll still be able to enjoy the journey south through some amazing scenery - and Vancouver is wonderful. If he has extra time there, he might enjoy going up to the Whistler Blackcomb area. An almost sacred experience on an incredible gondola ride that just puts your heart in your throat in a good way was had in early July.

With a positive attitude, his remission should go further than even you hope possible! :) Best wishes!

Thank You for your kind words, I think my sister inlaw feels worse as she planed this for him. I try to have positive thoughts and happy they were not stuck out in the middle of the ocean.

Dorene

I can speak with knowledge.. Our first attempt to cruise to Alaska was stopped when my DH had a major heart attack. The second time we were going to try (this year) - he was diagnosed with cancer. He is now undergoing chemo after surgery. We may never get there.

Nevertheless, I do feel that those on the Millie right now have received an extremely good deal under the circumstances and I for one, would be extremely grateful - I feel a number are grumbling unnecessarily.

And yes, it's not what they expected but I still think 3 for the price of none is pretty darn good.

I sincerely hope your husband recovers, and also that you will make this trip - Alaska is amazing. I also agree that Celebrity is doing a bang up job in the compensation they are offering.

I actually am not sure where this 'grumbling unnecessarily' is taking place? But I have only read posters on this board. Regardless of compensation (which once again I agree is generous), I think some grumbling could be very well justified, at fate if nothing else. Not to say don't make the best of it, but this would be a huge disappointment as you know all too well. There have been some very flip remarks made on this thread, and I just think people could be a little more understanding. Three for the price of one is pretty darn good indeed, if you can take advantage of it. It means little if you can't. That's all I'm trying to say. Once again, I hope your personal situation turns out well.

I would put it another way. You bought an apple then you ate it (1apple). It didn't taste right so the store gives you your money back (2apples) plus another apple = 3 apples. If the cruise was cxld and got their money back plus a future cruise I would agree with 2 apples:D

Here is the potential money exchange.

They buy a cruise for $2,000. Total cost = $2,000 (minus $2,000 out of their savings).

They take that cruise, but get the money refunded. Total refund = $2,000 back into their savings = $0 out of their savings). Still only one cruise taken.

They get a free cruise as credit. Total cost = $0. They get a second cruise for nothing, but only two cruises have been taken, and no money from their savings have been needed.

- OR -

They buy a cruise for $2,000. Total cost = $2,000 (minus $2,000 out of their savings).

They take that cruise, but get the money refunded. Total refund = $2,000, which they apply to a second cruise. Two cruises taken, but still minus $2,000 out of their savings.

They get a free cruise as credit. Total cost = $0. They take three cruises, but are still minus $2,000 out of their savings.

Again, they paid for a cruise that was taken, but not what they expected. That counts as one cruise. But, they get their money back to use on another cruise, so they end up taking two cruises - but they still paid out money for one of them. They get yet another free cruise as credit, so that counts as the second cruise they don't have to pay for.

Two for the price of none, or three for the price of one. ;)

There's some strange math going on somewhere --

Reserved a cruise, paid for it, on it now == that's cruise 1

Getting a refund, book a new cruise with that money == that's cruise 2

Received a FCC, book another cruise with that money = that's cruise 3

the outlay of money for cruise 1 is returned and used to book cruise 2, and the FCC is used to book cruise 3. I see three cruises for no money.

I hope no one thinks my comment was saying something bad about Celebrity, as it was not to be directed that way. I was asking about the point system and mentioned my brothers health on this trip. I pray that he will be on this cruise next year, and many cruises after that......

Dorene

the outlay of money for cruise 1 is returned and used to book cruise 2, and the FCC is used to book cruise 3. I see three cruises for no money.

If you use your refund to book another cruise, then that money (that was yours in the first place) is now spent - so it is either two-for-none or three-for-one.

I just received the following email from my client onboard:

All onboard at 8:30pm

Set sail 9/9:30 tonight

Arriving Vancouver Friday

Emergency drill at 8pm.

Thanks for the update. Great news for those of us on the August 16 cruise.

Hopefully the ship will be able to make a stop en route to Vancouver since they are leaving one day earlier than expected.

Talk about fuzzy math! :D I believe Gonzo would be correct with his math.

I just received the following email from my client onboard:

All onboard at 8:30pm

Set sail 9/9:30 tonight

Arriving Vancouver Friday

Emergency drill at 8pm.

That's great news! I hope the Millie stays "healthy" for a while!:)

I didn't mean to open up a huge debate about how many cruises the current passengers are getting for free...I was just curious as to the logic, because I couldn't see how it was 3 for none. At any rate, I agree with Host Andy that it's fantastic compensation that at least tries to make up for the disappointment of the disrupted cruise.

Can you tell me how you calculated this? I keep trying, but I come up with 2 for the price of none...this week's refund and the 100% FCC. Am I missing something?:o

1. They are on a "different" cruise (not what was planned), 2. 100% refund of same, and 100% FCC. Other may not, but I consider that 3 weeks vacation for $0.

1. They are on a "different" cruise (not what was planned), 2. 100% refund of same, and 100% FCC. Other may not, but I consider that 3 weeks vacation for $0.

But the third week is ONLY if you spend the refund - in which case one of the weeks is not $0. Any way you slice it, it is two free cruises (if you keep the refund of the money you had paid for cruise#1) or three-for-one if you use the refund for another cruise. very generous compensation, but not three free cruises.

But the third week is ONLY if you spend the refund - in which case one of the weeks is not $0. Any way you slice it, it is two free cruises (if you keep the refund of the money you had paid for cruise#1) or three-for-one if you use the refund for another cruise. very generous compensation, but not three free cruises.

Gonzo - You might as well give up on this one! :eek: Some people just don't seem to understand that if they use the refund from cruise #1 to book cruise #2 they have just re-spent their original cruise money!! :D

Gonzo - You might as well give up on this one! :eek: Some people just don't seem to understand that if they use the refund from cruise #1 to book cruise #2 they have just re-spent their original cruise money!! :D

Not so from what I read! You have the refund PLUS 100% FCC. Don't have to spend any money to book your next cruise! Plus the one they are on is at no charge!

WOW!! How generous is Celebrity & the pax can see many things on the Kenai Peninsular . My gosh we would jump up & down with Joy, to have received those perks that Celebrity has given each impacted pax .

The old saying still holds true : Don't look a gift horse in the mouth :p:D:p

Not so from what I read! You have the refund PLUS 100% FCC. Don't have to spend any money to book your next cruise! Plus the one they are on is at no charge!

I'm starting to think that Canada has a different math than the rest of the world, where 1 + 1 = 3. :rolleyes:

You paid for a cruise you are on, you get you money back. You have gotten one free cruise.

You use your FCC for the next cruise. Now you have gotten two free cruises.

You use the the refunded money from the original cruise TO PAY FOR the third cruise.

You now have had three cruises - two free cruises, and one cruise PAID WITH THE REFUND from the first cruise.

Why is this so difficult for some people to understand? :confused: ? :confused: ? :confused: ? :confused:

You are absolutely correct if they only do two (2) cruises - counting the one they are already on (money refunded) - using FCC for another one = 2 cruises for FREE.

However, we have been talking about three (3) cruises - current cruise, one w/refund money, and one w/FCC. (Current one was paid for.) :eek:

Heard from our TA this afternoon. She spoke with her Celebrity Sales Rep, who told her that they expect no problems for the August 16th cruise. I would think that the fact that they are sailing tonight (it's only 5:37 PM in Alaska as I type this) rather than tomorrow evening means that the engine problem has been repaired.

As someone else pointed out, I hope they can make at least one port call on the way back to Vancouver. Problem is, which one should it be? Perhaps they can do the Hubbard Glacier cruise-by (but cut it short) then visit either Juneau or Ketchikan. I don't see them stopping in Skagway, as the White Pass & Yukon RR trip just takes too long. And Icy Strait Point just seems pointless (no pun intended) right now.

Hope all goes well on the trip back to Canada.

Archived