Sunshine on a late April TransAtlantic?

zukecruiser

Will be on a TA in late April-early May from Fort Lauderdale to London. Looking for sunshine on the balcony cabin and wondering if a port or starboard cabin would give the best sun at that time of year. Thinking the sun will still be fairly in the south yet. Will appreciate any comments or recommentions.

Starboard, but don't plan on it being warm enough to be out much. We did Celebrity Infinity from FLL to Harwich this year, leaving May 1 and the balcony was only usable as far as Ponta Delgada. After that, it was too cold. EM

Will be on a TA in late April-early May from Fort Lauderdale to London. Looking for sunshine on the balcony cabin and wondering if a port or starboard cabin would give the best sun at that time of year. Thinking the sun will still be fairly in the south yet. Will appreciate any comments or recommentions.

We did the spring TA twice. Both times we had warm weather the first few days after departing Ft. Lauderdale. After that it was comfortable, but cool. You will need a sweatshirt or jacket during the day. Don't plan on lounging around too much outside. It's not a warm weather cruise. The sun will be south of you all day as it always is in the North Atlantic, starboard side.

We did a TA this year...FLL to Canary Islands...too cold to be outside after the first day. Cloudy, drizzly and overcast....so I don't think it matters port or starboard....even the pools were vacant!

Sorry...wish you luck with your transit weather:o. But we did love all the sea days...

Have done four Trans Atlantics in April. It has never been warm enough to really sit out and really enjoy the balcony. But you will be able to get out on the balcony and catch some fresh air if you take a jacket or sweatshirt. I need a balcony because I cannot stand the feeling of being "closed in." Enjoy the trip!

Weather on a TA is unpredictable. The last 2 cruises we did in the spring were sunny and cool. Personally, a balcony is wasted for us. Too cool and with all the sea days it is too windy. We did the northern Atlantic in July and it was still pretty cool. we did the Southern Atlantic in November and it was hot.

On our TA at the end of April, we had warm weather for two days and as we turned north the temps dropped. We were on the Starboard side of the ship and had some sun and shade depending on the time of day and direction we were going.

I need to ask. It will be cold in the Atlantic in April. There is nothing to see from the ship. Why would you pay more to have an essentially useless balcony? Is there something that I do not get?

DON

Fresh air and sunshine make a small cabin feel much larger on a long TA.:D

We did the Silhouette this past April/May from FLL - Rome. The southern route was quite pleasant, pool weather and such till we got to the Canary Islands. There the weather turned windy and cool until docking.

The eastbound ta is always chancy with the weather. Therefore the hard sell from the cruiselines. Westbounds are 25 hour days, usually warmer temperatures. This October we're doing the new Royal Princess and then thinking about doing the Eclipse from Southampton to FLL, both west bounds. West wins with us!

Hal

I need to ask. It will be cold in the Atlantic in April. There is nothing to see from the ship. Why would you pay more to have an essentially useless balcony? Is there something that I do not get?

DON

We love getting fresh air anytime without having to go out on deck.

We love being on the balcony as we enter/leave ports.

I go out on the deck wrapped in a blanket if need be to read on sea days. It's wonderful to read and nap all wrapped up in the cool sea breeze.

We won't sail without a balcony whether it's a warm weather or cold weather itinerary.

We did this same TA cruise this past April/May. Had a port side mini-suite with balcony. Only had two warm weather days so spent those up by the pool. Other days were too cool and windy to use the balcony. Had several very foggy days as well. In fact, one night it was so foggy the ship blew its foghorn every sixty seconds for several hours. Had 18 ft seas with gale force 8 winds going from Dublin to Falmouth. Had to skip Cork due to high seas. Nevertheless, it was a great cruise.

We were on the Crown Princess transatlantic starting in Galveston 4/13/13 to 4/31, picking up more passengers in Fort Lauderdale, then proceeding east to the Azores, Lisbon, then north to Belgium and France to Southampton.

The Caribbean weather was fantastic, as were the first day or two out of Port Everglades. We had a Caribe deck balcony on the port side (our choice as we didn't want to be in direct sun) and used it. The dividers between balconies act as a good wind break. Our ship was about 2 days ahead of a storm front going across the Atlantic and the weather was mostly in the 60's Fahrenheit. We used the miniature golf course and the basketball court most days, despite some wind - mostly coming from the starboard side of the ship. There were a couple of days where going outside was cold, especially after Lisbon when the temperature dropped into the high 40's/low 50's (that front caught up with us, I think), and we opted not to even go ashore in Belgium due to the cold.

So, if you want sun, then get a starboard balcony. However cross wind and weather fronts could limit usage for the less hardy traveler. And Lord knows what the weather will be like for your crossing. In our case 2 days made all the difference in the world.

Bring a sweater/sweatshirt. I had to buy one during the cruise.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Will book the starboard cabin. Agree with other posters about the fresh air, port views, and sunshine in the cabin that a balcony provides. Sounds like we will have to dress appropriately though to enjoy using it.

I did the TA on the Caribbean in April. Mostly rain and cold especially the closer you get to northern Europe. I had a window suite and loved it, wouldn't pay for a balcony but the low price I paid for the WS was definitely worth it.

Believe me, sun will not be your problem. :cool: Even during the last week of October to the first week of November, sun was not a problem on my TA. What WAS a problem was how freakin' cold it was out there! It looked absolutely sunny & gorgeous, then you opened the door and wham! were slammed with 35 degree freezing wind. At least at your time of year, it should be warmer than that, but still, probably not your sun bathing kind of weather.

Archived