How Can One Check Wave Heights On An Upcoming Cruise?

LastUsernameEver

I'll be on the Star with a first-time cruiser who is anxious about there being high seas. If we depart on the 24th, what's the earliest one could go to one of the maritime weather sites to get an idea of what conditions we'll have. Not necessarily "Weather-wise", but more "Wave Height-wise"?

I, personally, enjoy a little maritime rockin' and rollin', but my travel companion is nervous.

Anyone else know of when (and, maybe "how") to check on how calm or rough the seas will be from Seattle to Tracy Arm in a week and a half.

Oh, by the way...YAY!

:)

I'll be on the Star with a first-time cruiser who is anxious about there being high seas. If we depart on the 24th, what's the earliest one could go to one of the maritime weather sites to get an idea of what conditions we'll have. Not necessarily "Weather-wise", but more "Wave Height-wise"?

I, personally, enjoy a little maritime rockin' and rollin', but my travel companion is nervous.

Anyone else know of when (and, maybe "how") to check on how calm or rough the seas will be from Seattle to Tracy Arm in a week and a half.

Oh, by the way...YAY!

wunderground.com does a three day forecast.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/epacm.html

Weather is unpredictable. If you or your partner have motion sickness problems get an inside cabin midships on a lower deck and you will never see the waves from your cabin. And there are lots of seasick meds. Check with a doctor on which are best for you.

Wave height is not a reliable measure of how rough it might be. You also have to take into account the wave length. Short distance between big waves can be quite smooth, long distance between relatively low height waves can induce a lot movement of the ship.

Wave height is not a reliable measure of how rough it might be. You also have to take into account the wave length. Short distance between big waves can be quite smooth, long distance between relatively low height waves can induce a lot movement of the ship.

Wind plays a huge factor as well.

I use http://www.oceanweather.com/data/index.html but that site only shows current not forecast.

Oh, by the way...YAY!

Seems like this is information you may not want to know or if you know, you may want to lie about it. The waves are what they are and there is nothing you can do about it. What are you planning to do if the waves are really high? Will you tell your companion? Will you cancel your cruise?

This is a case where a little knowledge is a bad thing.

DON

Seems like this is information you may not want to know or if you know, you may want to lie about it. The waves are what they are and there is nothing you can do about it. What are you planning to do if the waves are really high? Will you tell your companion? Will you cancel your cruise?

This is a case where a little knowledge is a bad thing.

DON

I, personally, am the type that gets seasick on smaller vessels. So when I began to cruise on larger ships years ago, I needed to take Dramamine before the ship started moving. That is what they say works best, to take the pill before you depart. It was maybe 4 or 5 cruises in when I became brave enough to not take my pills. And I realized I do not get seasick on larger vessels. So, if I had the information about how rough it will be, I could give my friend the option to take Dramamine before the cruise begins.

I, personally, am the type that gets seasick on smaller vessels. So when I began to cruise on larger ships years ago, I needed to take Dramamine before the ship started moving. That is what they say works best, to take the pill before you depart. It was maybe 4 or 5 cruises in when I became brave enough to not take my pills. And I realized I do not get seasick on larger vessels. So, if I had the information about how rough it will be, I could give my friend the option to take Dramamine before the cruise begins.

OK, glad you pointed this out as I was agreeing with the donaldsc's post wondering what you'd do with the information. You will do something! BTW, Dramamine make you pretty drowsy, there are some alternatives which are just as effective with less drowsiness. Ask your pharmacist for sure but Bonine and Meclizine come to mind.

Fortunately for you, the three-day forecast should be enough.

Hopefully your friend, like you, will eventually find they don't need anything to help them.

It is too bad about motion sickness though, being susceptible, while it does have a mental component due to being nervous about it, IMHO it seems that people are just internally built either to handle it or not. It doesn't seem to matter how "tough" one is, how in or out of shape you are, it is just what it is. That's what ginger, green apples, watching the horizon, fresh air and good drugs are for!

Weather is unpredictable. If you or your partner have motion sickness problems get an inside cabin midships on a lower deck and you will never see the waves from your cabin. And there are lots of seasick meds. Check with a doctor on which are best for you.

I read once that green olives are really good against getting seasick. As a result each evening I partake of several Dirty Martinis(only because of the medical value of course). I have never had a problem with seasickness......at least that I remember!

Wind plays a huge factor as well.

I use http://www.oceanweather.com/data/index.html but that site only shows current not forecast.

Wave height and direction, wind speed and direction, current speed and direction and ship speed and direction all affect ship stability. If you know one, you have to know all the other factors. Stabilizers help only with side-to-side motion, not fore-to-aft.

The size of the ship can matter but keep in mind that the large ships are far more affected by wind than smaller ships. Smaller ships are also designed to cut through waves better. So don't set yours or anyone else's expectations that just because you're on a big ship, you won't be affected.

I read once that green olives are really good against getting seasick. As a result each evening I partake of several Dirty Martinis(only because of the medical value of course). I have never had a problem with seasickness......at least that I remember!

Hmm ... I recommended green apples earlier. Maybe an Appletini with green olives would work twice as well.

At least if you get sick, you could blame it on the drinking.

If only I could remember....

Oh, if only I could drink! Love the remedy!

I read not too long ago that if you get sea sickness, it is better to keep food in your tummy at all times, so the olives should help! But most ships have candied ginger available onboard and that works too - ginger is great for sea sickness in any form. At the IC, they have a ginger tea they can make up as well. And you can always go to your local drug store and get ginger candies to take along too!

I'm all for being awake for my cruises so do not take any medications as I would be asleep for the full trip!

Have a great trip!

Sounds like the cruising partner is already setting him/herself into feeling every motion. Not a good way to start.

Start taking something a day in advance. Don't wait till you get onboard. My neice uses ginger "pills" that she gets at some natural food store. And she normally gets sick even on car trips. Dramamine is just too likely to make you drowsy.

I have to correct you. Inside cabin is a no-no for motion sickness sufferers. Something about connection of what your body feels and what your eyes see. Lower, midship - correct, but some kind of a window, even obstructed, is needed.

I was really concerned about motion sickness on our first cruise (to Alaska) last year. I wore Sea-Bands and took ginger capsules (starting 3 days before the cruise). Added Bonine to the mix on our whale watching adventure out of Juneau, which was on a 12 passenger boat. Never had any issues, but with another cruise coming this fall in totally different waters, I plan to repeat the same process, just to be sure. I am the kind who can get motion-sick watching the kids swing. :) I never worried about what the waves or wind was doing, as they were out of my control. I just deal with the aspects I can control.

Ann

If anyone can predict Weather/Waves on any cruise , divine guidance could be involved..!!!.there is no earthly way to EVER know what may happen, a fair idea can be your time of year and "normal"weather patterns..but other than that, its a lottery..stick to reasonably sheltered waters...!

I have to correct you. Inside cabin is a no-no for motion sickness sufferers. Something about connection of what your body feels and what your eyes see. Lower, midship - correct, but some kind of a window, even obstructed, is needed.
I have been told that if one focuses on the horizon or something far away then the effects of nearer motion are not as much.

Our Alaska cruise in August one year had glassy smooth waters as long as we were in the inside passage. I hope the OP has this kind of weather as well.

I could not disagree more! We have found the inside cabins, sans window, to be the key! We are always midship and have had stellalr adventures each voyage.

Msk1

Our Alaska cruise in August one year had glassy smooth waters as long as we were in the inside passage. I hope the OP has this kind of weather as well.
Waters are usually calm in the Inside Passage. However, to make the port schedule, the Star will be cruising at the higher speeds allowed outside of the Passage much of the first day and all of the last day. You quite possibly will have more movement those days.

All the Seattle based ships do not transit the Inside Passage at all. They are outside, o the open Pacific on the west side of Vancouver Island. All the Vancouver based ships are on the east side of Vancouver Island sailing along the Inside Passage. Once past northern Vancouver Island, both Vancouver and Seattle originating vessels sail the same body of water which is Hecate Strait.

For me, I need a balcony. At least the first day or two. The fresh air really seems to help. Also take a motion sickness pill in the morning before we leave and another that evening. I usually have my sea legs by then.:)

My Alaskan cruise (RT from Seattle) was definitely my smoothest cruise of the 11 I've been on. Which was good because we had a far forward (the second inside from the bow) cabin and I tend to get motion sickness easily. In fact, on the train trip up the West Coast to get to Seattle, I would feel it every time I tried to read or do word puzzles while the train was moving.

I definitely wouldn't want that cabin on a Mexican Riviera or Hawaiian cruise.

But there's always the possibility that you can get motion that bothers your traveling companion. You can tell your him/her there probably won't be an issue, but suggest they check with their doctor about suggestions of remedies (if on medication) or they can try out remedies that are OTC -- ahead of time is my suggestion and then pack a few types that don't give them side effects. Many medicines make me drowsy, but for me, I'll take various types of ginger (many grocery stores carry candied ginger and if you have a Cost Plus World Market, they carry ginger chews and ginger-flavored Altoids). But it's not compatible with some blood thinning meds.

Archived