Anytime Dining, Former "Standing Reservation" Maker With a Question

LastUsernameEver

I used to see the Maitre'd on embarkation day and get a standing reservation for my party (we'll be four this trip), but I have seen on these boards that the practice is considered rude or ruinous to the "Anytime Dining" concept.

So, that being said...what are my options?

I know calling to make a reservation is nearly impossible (or, can I make a dining rez through the Captain's Circle desk since I am Elite? I doubt it), so should I physically go TO my dining room to make a reservation? They're often un-staffed during the day.

Also, when I'm departing dinner, say on a Saturday night, can I make a reservation then for the following night?

The standing reservation concept always worked perfectly for me in the past, I probably needed to take a pager two or three times over the course of many years. Not sure why some people are so against it, but, I try to accept majority-opinion when it comes to what people find "fair". So, I need to know how this works.

Thanks.

Maybe because what you are describing is Traditional Dining customised for you. That seems to defeat the reason both types were set up. But if Princess allows it so be it. By the way do you at least signnup for anytime dining? I am going to assume so by your posting and that would be good.

On our recent cruise on the Royal, on the third night in the Anytime dining (Concerto Dining Room) we found the BEST wait staff, and what the maître d' allowed us to do was make the reservation with her for the next night each evening as we left...we did not have to call a dining line. They would only allow us to make reservations for either 5:45 PM or 8:00 PM, which worked fine for us as some nights we were back from ports later on.

I used to see the Maitre'd on embarkation day and get a standing reservation for my party (we'll be four this trip), but I have seen on these boards that the practice is considered rude or ruinous to the "Anytime Dining" concept.

I know calling to make a reservation is nearly impossible (or, can I make a dining rez through the Captain's Circle desk since I am Elite? I doubt it), so should I physically go TO my dining room to make a reservation? They're often un-staffed during the day.

Also, when I'm departing dinner, say on a Saturday night, can I make a reservation then for the following night?

The standing reservation concept always worked perfectly for me in the past, I probably needed to take a pager two or three times over the course of many years. Not sure why some people are so against it, but, I try to accept majority-opinion when it comes to what people find "fair". So, I need to know how this works.

Thanks.

Friends of ours reserved the same table at the same time throughout a cruise but they were a large party. We prefer to have flexibility in dining so we're not tied to a schedule which is why we choose Anytime dining. I know they can and do accommodate requests for special servers, certain tables, etc.

But do talk to the Maitre d'.

There is no consistency. Some Maitre d's will book a standing reservation, others won't. Some will book it any time during the evening, others only before 6pm and after 8pm. Some will book for the entire cruise, others for only that night. Keep this in mind so you don't set your expectation that you can make a reservation for the whole cruise for whatever time you want.

There are issues when people make reservations in Anytime. It's mostly because some people don't arrive on time or even close and the table sits there empty. To me, it's more of an inconsiderate/rude people issue than the reservation itself.

IMHO, the biggest problem with Anytime is that those with Traditional dining can show up and are seated, adding to the lines and leaving a table already reserved for them empty. Again, an inconsiderate/rude people issue. Some people board a ship and leave their manners and common sense behind.

IMHO, the biggest problem with Anytime is that those with Traditional dining can show up and are seated, adding to the lines and leaving a table already reserved for them empty. Again, an inconsiderate/rude people issue. Some people board a ship and leave their manners and common sense behind.

I agree and I mention it frequently. On Carnival you can't go to Your Time dining (their version of Anytime Dining) if you have fixed time dining. I loved that and it made the whole operation run more smoothly. No waiting at all not even the 2 minute wait. I'm sure other lines do this as well. Princess should do the same.

The maitre'd are experienced and generally know how the demographics of any particular cruise are going to affect the demand on ATD. If they let you make a standing reservation, there is no problem.

We discovered the ATD standing reservation in much the same manner as OP. We raved to the maitre'd about a particular wait-staff and he offered us a standing reservation with them.

We have been on the Crown (36 nights) and Grand (49 nights) in the last year. We never made a reservation and never waited more than 2 or 3 minutes for a table.

You were lucky not only to have no wait but to have spent that much time at sea (ENVY. I was on a cruise to Alaska where the anytime dining wait the first night was over an hour. The Maitre d' said it would only happen the first night but in fact it was true almost every night of the cruise. After the first night we switched to late fixed and had a great waiter, Conrad, who has been on almost every cruise we've been on since.

The maitre'd are experienced and generally know how the demographics of any particular cruise are going to affect the demand on ATD. If they let you make a standing reservation, there is no problem.

We discovered the ATD standing reservation in much the same manner as OP. We raved to the maitre'd about a particular wait-staff and he offered us a standing reservation with them.

They're good about giving you your favorite servers. We had a favorite Breakfast Lunch server and like a table for two. One day there were no tables for two so he gave us a table for 8 to ourselves. A bit awkward but interesting.

Thanks.

On my last cruise, I noticed many more tables for 4 and 6 in the dining room and you probably can get seating for 4 more easily than in the past. If you find you like the staff waiting on you ,ask the Maitre D for a reservation. You have nothing to lose.

They have been seen to reset the DR structure a bit between cruises to accomodate expected demands. As noted, the MD usually has a good handle on what the flow will be like based on the number of people who are waitlisted for TD etc and how much staff he has. The same MD may allow standing reservations one week and not the next depending on conditions.

There's nothing wrong with requesting a standing reservation as long as you make the committment to be at that reservation every night (or at least give them fair warning you will not be there). The problem occurs when people demand it and get upset when they can't have it, or like TD make one and then bail on it.

I've heard through the staff grapevine that 7 is a very popular time to dine in the anytime dining room. Perhaps they should consider having a 7 o'clock fixed time seating. Might solve some of the problems.

That would mean the dining room either could not be used before 7 PM or would need a first seating at 4:45 PM.

Also, it would mean that any seating after the 7 PM one would not start until after 9:15 PM.

That would mean the dining room either could not be used before 7 PM or would need a first seating at 4:45 PM.

Also, it would mean that any seating after the 7 PM one would not start until after 9:15 PM.

I agree. A 7 pm TD seating would close that MDR for the rest of the evening. Very few would want to eat early enough or late enough to use it.

I've heard through the staff grapevine that 7 is a very popular time to dine in the anytime dining room. Perhaps they should consider having a 7 o'clock fixed time seating. Might solve some of the problems.
That's never going to happen because then, you'd have to have a 4:30 or 5:00pm early seating and perhaps a 9:30pm later seating. Personally, I've liked it when fixed seating times were 5:45pm and 7:45pm.

I agree. A 7 pm TD seating would close that MDR for the rest of the evening. Very few would want to eat early enough or late enough to use it.

That's never going to happen because then, you'd have to have a 4:30 or 5:00pm early seating and perhaps a 9:30pm later seating. Personally, I've liked it when fixed seating times were 5:45pm and 7:45pm.

OK Logistically it wouldn't work unless you could get a cadre of very early or very late diners but it doesn't hurt to dream.

Not sure why some people are so against it, but, I try to accept majority-opinion when it comes to what people find "fair". So, I need to know how this works.

If the maitre d' / dining room captain on your particular cruise

allows you to make a standing reservation, than that trumps

all opinions posted here.

On the point of traditional diners fronting at anytime venues (and causing longer waiting times for those who actually booked anytime), perhaps it's time the maitre'd asked to show their cruisecards.

The last time I looked your booked venue appears on the card. On several occasions on the Diamond, we have been asked to give cabin number.

On the point of traditional diners fronting at anytime venues (and causing longer waiting times for those who actually booked anytime), perhaps it's time the maitre'd asked to show their cruisecards.

The last time I looked your booked venue appears on the card. On several occasions on the Diamond, we have been asked to give cabin number.

We were asked for our cabin numbers on the Grand at dinner, but we were asked by the waiter when taking our order. We never found out why. Waiter just said he was told to.

I completely agree. I've tried explaining to Princess people that since the fixed seating people already have a table reserved they are in essence taking up two tables and acing someone else out.

They did this on the Island last cruise. If you wanted to eat in AD without prior arrangements you had to clear it with the MD prior, otherwise you were asked to come back when no line or visit the buffet. You could not make a reservation without MD HW approval.

They did this on the Island last cruise. If you wanted to eat in AD without prior arrangements you had to clear it with the MD prior, otherwise you were asked to come back when no line or visit the buffet. You could not make a reservation without MD HW approval.

I don't think anyone with TD should be allowed to make a reservation for AD for any reason

If the maitre d' / dining room captain on your particular cruise

allows you to make a standing reservation, than that trumps

all opinions posted here.

On this we agree...

While opinions abound on whether or not Anytime Dining and standing reservations go together, I have never seen any official policy around it. Personally if I was using Anytime Dining for the duration of a cruise, I would ask for a standing reservation. I totally get that people prefer not be tied down by a particular reservation time and good for them. But that's not me.

That being said, have you considered Traditional? Even if the timing isn't exactly what you would prefer?

I don't think anyone with TD should be allowed to make a reservation for AD for any reason
There are times when it might be necessary for medical reasons. A few years ago, we cruised with a friend who had a very early lunch due to an afternoon tour. For medical reasons, she couldn't wait until our 8:30pm dining time. It was just one night. It certainly shouldn't be arbitrary.

I have no problem with reservations as long as people show up on time. IMHO, if they are late, they should lose the reservation. Unless it's a port day, there's absolutely no reason to be late unless you're selfish and self-absorbed.

Archived