Disapointed with 5 Star Mariner Program

cloudchaser

Again; unnecessarily condescending and insulting. You are correct, "HAL didn't have to give us anything...". Do you believe they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts? Like all loyalty programs, HAL's program is intended to generate business and it is highly calculated to do just that. I understand and respect some posters' view that they enjoy HAL to the extent that the loyalty program is moot. For other posters like myself, I factor in the loyalty program when choosing a cruise. Its not an issue of affordability as it is a question of value which, I believe, most rational people seek to obtain.

I am sorry you took it that way, it was not what I intended. I cruise to cruise, not for perks, I guess that makes me one of the irrational cruisers!

Writing to someone you wish to suggest change to, and calling their current program a "sham" is not polite nor constructive criticism. It is insulting.

I re-read the original OP's thread and I don't see where the word "sham" is used. I think the main point of her/his thread was that, if HAL was going to create a new loyalty program tier, then the benefits they offer should be commensurate. Obviously the OP doesn't think so and I agree to the extent that I will call it a "sham."

I re-read the original OP's thread and I don't see where the word "sham" is used. I think the main point of her/his thread was that, if HAL was going to create a new loyalty program tier, then the benefits they offer should be commensurate. Obviously the OP doesn't think so and I agree to the extent that I will call it a "sham."

This is the cut and paste from the OP's letter to HAL:

The fourth new benefit listed is, “Complimentary day pass to the Greenhouse Spa & Salon Thermal Suite (1 per cruise).” This is a sham.

My bolding and coloring. Insulting people whom you wish to convert to your point of view is never a good practice.

I imagine people that get to cruise for a 100 days likely worked very hard to do that so I'm not sure why they s/b grateful. I have a couple people in my life that never pass the opportunity to put in a dig for how "lucky" I am to go on "so many" cruises. I work dam hard for them. I also don't have a 5000 square foot house and my car is 12 years old. I'm "so lucky".

I agree with the others in that the perks are less than other lines offer but I'll happily accept them.

I agree with the above post. I also worked and saved and went with out. My vehicle is 10 years old, and I'm planning on it lasting another 5 years. So many people change cars every 3 years, and wonder why they don't have the extra money.

There are some on this board who only book suites, and go on less than 14 day cruises, and say how great HAL is. Not sure if you remember but some of those that book suites complained when 4 stars got some of the benefits they had by booking suites. Even though I do longer cruises, I do them solo, so I book what I can afford. I saved and went with out.

For me it isn't only the cruise fare, I have two puppies who go to doggie camp. I have to fly and get a hotel room. As I said for 2016 I probably will not book a cruise with HAL, I can use the funds elsewhere. For the 2015 world cruise, the only reason I want to go on that one and booked it, is it makes a port call in Jordan, and I want to go to Petra.

If it was the HAL of old I wouldn't care about the benefits, but sadly HAL has cheapened its product. The service and the food have both gone down hill dramatically. I worked to hard for my money, and I do not have the suite benefits.

I will become a two star on my next cruise so I have a loooong way to go to get to 5 star. I don't really care about the "bennies" as I like the ships. I know the service has gone down in the past few years, but not enough to bother me. The prices have gone down also if you adjust for cost of living. The ships are still beautiful, the service still great and the food, well, it is adequate.

I'm sorry if you think my comments condescending. They are not intended that way and are simply a statement of our personal satisfaction. We think it great they give us anything at all. They really don't have to and for a huge number of years did not.

They'd better do something to keep their most loyal customers.

Agreed on both counts.

Meanwhile the OP is quite right to complain if she/he felt ill-treated or that supposedly valuable rewards for loyalty were worthless or nearly so.

Clients who voice their views, suggest improvements and vote with the wallets make businesses better.

Those who meekly tug their forelocks; grateful for crumbs and trinkets also get what they deserve.

Agreed. We are the customer, they are the vendor, not the other way around.

They'd better do something to keep their most loyal customers.

They should but they don't. It's pretty clear that they treat new cruises better than the loyal ones. Then people come on here and say it's because they loyal ones don't spend. I buy all my wine, pay for internet, do all my shorex thru HAL, buy drinks on board and shop in all their stores. I think they are getting a pretty nice amount from me.

Not sure I want to step in here as we are also a ways out of 5 star status but I understand the OP's points. I don't interpret her points as not being grateful but while any perk is appreciated, the perks she lists do not light me on fire to sail the required days to become 5 stars. I think the internet point the OP makes is very valid. Your 5 stars typically are the ones sailing the longer cruises and probably also often staying in the more expensive cabins. My position is that these perks are part a loyalty reward and part an incentive but I don’t find them very incenting. Won’t have much impact on my choices for future cruises but all these things add up, star perks, wine policy, staff cut backs…..

I agree with Ruth and Sail and I am sorry if some people feel that our position is condescending. I am cruising HAL because I like the size of their ships and the size of their rooms. And I especially love their unique itineraries. And I love the crews.

I am happy with the free laundry and also enjoy the hands on cooking & luncheon in the Pinnacle. Haven't had an opportunity to enjoy the free dinners in the Pinnacle Grill yet. Have taken advantage of the free Internet minutes.

I do feel that HAL has too many Mariners to offer free Internet minutes. I suspect that more free minutes will be offered with a six star program if and when they introduce one.

there is an unofficial 6 stars level (president's club) and you are right, it does include free Internet.

Otherwise, with the sheer size of 4 and 5 stars mariners on some long cruises,the rewards suggested could not work out.

For those who never miss an opportunity to fling the 'for those who only sail in suites' slam around, you have no idea how hard we worked to be able to afford those suites. Sure, maybe some people were born with the silver spoon and inherited but I suspect most of us worked 'dam' hard to earn every dime. When DH and I married we didn't have the pot or the proverbial window and yes.....

I initially was displeased that HAL took benefits from Suite guests to provide them to Four Star Mariners. We were paying for something still while we were watching our 'priority' disappear. Having worked so hard to purchase whatever it is we buy in our lives, we don't like to pay for something we would be getting for free but the duplication of the benefit irritated me. Some here never understood my thinking then and will not now and I've given it up and don't care. I've moved along but I have not moved along from having a finger pointed at us for being hardworking people who achieved a certain comfort level and enjoy the fruits of our labor.

That being said, HAL now gives us what we want and need and we are pleased with it and appreciate those facets we make use of. I don't use the spa but I am sure there is someone out there who likes the Five Star Benefit.

Name calling and finger pointing during these discussions always pushes aside the issue so please, let's stop it.

Everyone's opinion is right and no one need agree but we all need to accept we all have the privilege to express our opinion. We all have the privilege to book whichever cruise line, which ever cabin we wish and stop judging others or name calling when you disagree with their choices.

We are 3 star Mariners, and we might reach 4 star some day.

Of all the Mariner benefits, I think the laundry perk is the most valuable amenity. The internet amenity (only 50% off a 100 minute package, and only at the 5 star level) is really a joke. The varying degrees of discounts for specialty dining are nice, but not particularly valuable.

As a contrast, on Princess (we are Platinum there), you can achieve free internet packages at the 6th cruise or 51 cruise day mark. And free laundry comes at the 16th cruise or 151 cruise day mark (as opposed to 200 days on HAL).

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp

I haven't cruised enough to really have any loyalty credits toward any line. I've cruised twice on HAL, twice on NCL, once on Princess, RCCI, Carnival and Celebrity.

I book the cruise that is going where I want to go, for a price I want to pay. Never came to my mind to look for perks. Was tickled pink when I got a $25 OBC. The same as I don't fly any particular airline enough to even join their mileage programs, nor credit cards to get points. Lots of folks do, but just seems like more of a hassle to me.

Another poster said it well, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Be happy with anything you get or vote with your pocket book and go elsewhere. I would certainly never write a letter telling someone I wasn't happy with a gift they gave to me.

We are 4 star Mariners and generally happy with the rewards/benefits provided. We are not likely to reach the 5 star level as we spread our cruises among several lines now so those added benefits mean nothing to us.

Priority boarding/tendering, free laundry, specialty restaurant discounts and discounts on wine packages are our favoured benefits/rewards. Spa treatments/access and internet minutes are of no interest and so they play no role in our expectations.

I would like to see some cruise price discounting for 4 & 5 star Mariners. Despite what HAL tells us I don't find any "Mariner Savings".

With the introduction of the new alcohol policy I think it would be nice to see them introduce a 2 bottle limit for 4 star and a 3 bottle limit for 5 star Mariners. I know that doesn't reward non drinkers but spa & internet package discounts don't benefit everyone either.

Who knows what the future brings. HAL has begun o lose some of it's lustre for us and we now look for good deals, different itineraries that other lines offer and different experiences, e.g. river cruising. In the meantime we'll gladly take what they offer us and appreciate it.

I would certainly never write a letter telling someone I wasn't happy with a gift they gave to me.

I can't understand why some posters regard loyalty program perks as "gifts." Seems to me its an earned award. When your boss hands out your weekly paycheck, is that a "gift"? Well, maybe, given this age of high unemployment.

For those who never miss an opportunity to fling the 'for those who only sail in suites' slam around, you have no idea how hard we worked to be able to afford those suites. Sure, maybe some people were born with the silver spoon and inherited but I suspect most of us worked 'dam' hard to earn every dime. When DH and I married we didn't have the pot or the proverbial window and yes.....

I initially was displeased that HAL took benefits from Suite guests to provide them to Four Star Mariners. We were paying for something still while we were watching our 'priority' disappear. Having worked so hard to purchase whatever it is we buy in our lives, we don't like to pay for something we would be getting for free but the duplication of the benefit irritated me. Some here never understood my thinking then and will not now and I've given it up and don't care. I've moved along but I have not moved along from having a finger pointed at us for being hardworking people who achieved a certain comfort level and enjoy the fruits of our labor.

That being said, HAL now gives us what we want and need and we are pleased with it and appreciate those facets we make use of. I don't use the spa but I am sure there is someone out there who likes the Five Star Benefit.

Name calling and finger pointing during these discussions always pushes aside the issue so please, let's stop it.

Everyone's opinion is right and no one need agree but we all need to accept we all have the privilege to express our opinion. We all have the privilege to book whichever cruise line, which ever cabin we wish and stop judging others or name calling when you disagree with their choices.

I still don't get how you think that 4 and 5 star mariners are taking away "your" perks. You choose to sail in that room. Why not stay in an inside room? I would say you are generally paying for the extra room. It's not like you are only getting perks and nothing else. I can tell you after being in the PH last week that the service is far superior to what folks get in the cheap seats. You ought to try it sometime. I think you'll find it's a huge eye opener.

I can't understand why some posters regard loyalty program perks as "gifts." Seems to me its an earned award. When your boss hands out your weekly paycheck, is that a "gift"? Well, maybe, given this age of high unemployment.

Since open heart surgery 3 1/2 years ago, yes my paycheck is a "gift".

Every cruise is a gift - in fact every darn day is a gift!

Your opinion on the loyalty program is fine, and on certain levels it even makes sense; but everyone has a story. DW and I started off owing a mountain of money. Now things are different. But nobody gave us anything for free along the way. If I one day achieve 5 stars, I will be satisfied with whatever happens to be offered. (Sometimes I think it's cheaper to be on board than to be at home...! :D) We are blessed in our own way, and have so far never sailed in less than a Verandah or Neptune cabin. I'm not jealous of those who cruise for 6 months of the year in PH suites etc. I say Good for Them! Reading over the comments, I don't believe anyone has intentionally been condescending. On the contrary, I think people are just trying to offer a different perspective. There are so many of us, coming from all over, and from unique backgrounds and cultures. There's room for everyone, isn't there?

A reward program is the farthest thing from a gift. How many commercial organizations do you know that give out gifts to customers with absolutely no anticipation of a return?

They are a marketing tool designed to create customer loyalty and/or increase business and on board spending. That is why in some cases they have become very competitive in and of themselves.

Just try getting one of those rewards if you are not a customer and see how much of a gift they are.

We HAPPILY cruised HAL at least 60 cruises before they provided any Mariners Society Awards aside from the Medallions and were fine with it. When they started the Star Mariner Program and began giving benefits, it was gravy. We never sought it, we don't care about some of the benefits but Appreciate whatever they choose to provide to loyal cruisers. We happily sailed without any of those things and would continue to.

To us, under those circumstances, we view them as gifts. I understand why some would not.

Your opinion on the loyalty program is fine, and on certain levels it even makes sense; but everyone has a story. DW and I started off owing a mountain of money. Now things are different. But nobody gave us anything for free along the way. If I one day achieve 5 stars, I will be satisfied with whatever happens to be offered. (Sometimes I think it's cheaper to be on board than to be at home...! :D) We are blessed in our own way, and have so far have never sailed in less than a Verandah or Neptune cabin. I'm not jealous of those who cruise for 6 months of the year in PH suites etc. I say Good for Them! Reading over the comments, I don't believe anyone has intentionally been condescending. On the contrary, I think people are just trying to offer a different perspective. There are so many of us, coming from all over, and from unique backgrounds and cultures. There's room for everyone, isn't there?

Maybe because I had two Open Heart Surgeries in four years, not all that long ago, my perspective is influenced by that. I never specifically looked at it in that way.

Maybe because I had two Open Heart Surgeries in four years, not all that long ago, my perspective is influenced by that. I never specifically looked at it in that way.

I really started my travel after becoming a member of the zipper club in 2000. Every day is a blessing for me too, I know my perspective was mightily influenced by that event and resulting medical issues.

Perhaps that event accounts for my irrationality about gifts verses earned rights too, I am so darned grateful for every day at sea or on terra firma! ......;) :D

Your opinion on the loyalty program is fine, and on certain levels it even makes sense; but everyone has a story. DW and I started off owing a mountain of money. Now things are different. But nobody gave us anything for free along the way. If I one day achieve 5 stars, I will be satisfied with whatever happens to be offered. (Sometimes I think it's cheaper to be on board than to be at home...! :D) We are blessed in our own way, and have so far never sailed in less than a Verandah or Neptune cabin. I'm not jealous of those who cruise for 6 months of the year in PH suites etc. I say Good for Them! Reading over the comments, I don't believe anyone has intentionally been condescending. On the contrary, I think people are just trying to offer a different perspective. There are so many of us, coming from all over, and from unique backgrounds and cultures. There's room for everyone, isn't there?

"Wow....I think many of you should be grateful to have the ability to cruise for 100 days plus. If you can afford that, perhaps an internet package is affordable also"

This is one of the quotes that I find condescending or maybe my understanding of condescending is flawed.

I am 73 years old and I, too, regard each day as a gift although I don't see how philosophical metaphors respond to the OP's thread.

I agree with Ruth and Sail and I am sorry if some people feel that our position is condescending. I am cruising HAL because I like the size of their ships and the size of their rooms. And I especially love their unique itineraries. And I love the crews.

I am happy with the free laundry and also enjoy the hands on cooking & luncheon in the Pinnacle. Haven't had an opportunity to enjoy the free dinners in the Pinnacle Grill yet. Have taken advantage of the free Internet minutes.

I do feel that HAL has too many Mariners to offer free Internet minutes. I suspect that more free minutes will be offered with a six star program if and when they introduce one.

I completely agree with you! We sail HAL for their ship size, (in the cheap seats), their crew's, & the itinerary, not the Mariner perks..

I imagine people that get to cruise for a 100 days likely worked very hard to do that so I'm not sure why they s/b grateful. I have a couple people in my life that never pass the opportunity to put in a dig for how "lucky" I am to go on "so many" cruises. I work dam hard for them. I also don't have a 5000 square foot house and my car is 12 years old. I'm "so lucky".

I agree with the others in that the perks are less than other lines offer but I'll happily accept them.

Like you we both worked our entire lives before retirement.. I worked in the International Airline Field & our Family's perks were free travel on our airline &/or 75% off on other carriers.. Because I'm retired, we can still fly at a discount.. But I worked hard for that Perk & worked many overtime hours for which I was not paid, since I was in a Mgmt. position.. My DH also was in a Mgmt. position with the phone company, worked many overtime hours especially when workers were on strike, for which he could not be paid... His perk is & was having free telephone service..

Our original home was 2000 sq ft..When we retired to Fla bought a 2500 sq ft. older home which we fixed up & only sold because of DH"S health..We now live in a 1500 sq ft. condo...We also were fortunate enough to be able to purchase a sailboat & spent many months sailing with Friends..Like you, our car is just 10 years old...We bought a new one today only because it's our only transportation, & we need a reliable one if one of us should have to move into an Assisted Living or Nursing facility..

I also consider the Mariner Program to be a perk, not a gift, which we earned with our HAL loyalty & am quite satisfied with the program's perks..We're close to becoming 5 star Mariners.. Also being CCL shareholders is another perk which we enjoy...

We're so fortunate & do feel grateful to be able to do the longer cruises & are quite happy with the Mariner perks..

Cheers, Betty

Archived