Are connecting staterooms noisier?

chimaer

Hi, I booked a balcony guarantee room for my upcoming cruise on Indy. Today was paying deadline, although I paid the balance a couple of weeks ago, so decided to check my cruise account and I've been assigned my cabin :D

I was guaranteed an E2 and have been given a D1 on deck 6. I don't know the difference between D1, 2 or 3 but I understand that they are superior balconies rather than deluxe so we have a bit more room. Anyway I checked my cabin and I've seend that it's a connecting room. I was wondering if anyone has had one and noticed if you here more noise from the cabin you're connected to? Or is it like and cabin and it depends on your neighbours? Will it already be locked or would we have to ask? We are also above the dining room. Do you tend to hear noise from there too? Just want to know if I need to pack some ear plugs :D

We've happened to be in connecting cabins our last two cruises. I didn't notice any additional noise from our neighbors. Your stateroom attendant has paperwork indicating that you won't need to connect to the next-door room, and it will be locked on both sides when you arrive.

The answer to your question is sometimes Yes it can be more noise but not always. The walls in most of RCI ships are very thin anyway and if you have noisy neighbors you will hear them anyway.

FYI - I personally booked an X on FOS and was just assigned a D-1 connecting cabin on Deck 6 forward. I love the location because it is close to the front bank elevators. I did check to see if there were any available D-1's not connecting but all available were connecting. I like the larger cabin vs. E category.

As far as dining room goes you could contact RCI/TA and see if any D-1's have opened toward front midship. If so, they can transfer you within same category.

Try searching over the last couple of months for connecting cabin threads.

Twice we got connecting cabins and both times noticed we could hear voices from the connecting cabin. I've also read it may cut down the size of the sofa.

Call RCI and see if you can find another D1, why take a chance if something else is available?

So far, no issues with noise from connecting cabins. If I select my own cabin, I try to avoid connecting ones, in part to leave them for parties that need them.

The OP appears to be from the UK, so may be subject different booking rules. Certainly the OP can try to swap cabins within the category, but should not be too surprised if they say "no".

According to the brochure, once the room has been allocated, they can't accept any changes I request. I'm only on for 3 nights so it's not too bad if it's noisy. I don't think we'll be in the cabin too much as we'll be making the most of the time we've got on board

I had a connecting room once and could very clearly hear fussing and crying children.

If they were anything like my kids when they get going you'd have heard them through the walls of any cabin :D

We had one on our last cruise and didn't have any issues. As others have pointed out, the walls are thin and if you hear anything you'd most likely hear it whether the cabins are connecting or not.

We have heard that connecting cabins are smaller than regular ones. Is that true?

Also, glad I found out here that there's no couch in a connecting room. Didn't know that. Like my couch!!

Cheers,

NJ :)

We had a connecting cabin on Adventure, I have to say we heard nothing from our Neighbours at all. But you will not have a sofa, instead will be one chair.

Wrong.

I had a connecting balcony on the Navigator early this month, and I had a sofa (larger than the others, by the way).

My daughter had a D1 category connecting cabin on the Explorer this past summer. She had a full size couch in her cabin.

She did notice a lot of noise from the connecting cabin, but we think it was a function of very inconsiderate people. They allowed their children to bang on the door and rattle the doorknob at all hours.

I had a connecting cabin once and never heard a sound from my neighbors.

We have heard that connecting cabins are smaller than regular ones. Is that true?

Also, glad I found out here that there's no couch in a connecting room. Didn't know that. Like my couch!!

Cheers,

NJ :)

No it is not true. The cabins are the same size as a non connecting cabin.

Depending on the ship and cabin type, there could be a chair instead of a couch so that there is no furniture in front of the connecting door.

We've had connecting cabins and have NEVER had a problem. In fact, next time you stay in a land hotel, take a look. Many of the rooms connect.

M

My daughter had a cabin with a connecting door on explorer and did not hear anything (e2 on deck 7). We had a D1 on deck 8 with two teenage children next door (not ours) who seemed to lock one another on the balcony and then shout to be let in.... Bottom line, it's just the neighbors who make the noise and a connecting door is no worse than a regular wall.

I've had 2 cruises with connecting rooms (happened due to last minute booking with few options). One time was fine, next time I had the most obnoxious people next door, always coming in late and drunk, banging into the door, one time they tried to get me to join their party. I complained to security who warned them, but it only made it worse. Now I would rather not sail than have a connecting door, same as in shore side hotels. Depends on your tolerance level of noise and the luck of the draw.

Hi, I booked a balcony guarantee room for my upcoming cruise on Indy. Today was paying deadline, although I paid the balance a couple of weeks ago, so decided to check my cruise account and I've been assigned my cabin :D

I was guaranteed an E2 and have been given a D1 on deck 6. I don't know the difference between D1, 2 or 3 but I understand that they are superior balconies rather than deluxe so we have a bit more room. Anyway I checked my cabin and I've seend that it's a connecting room. I was wondering if anyone has had one and noticed if you here more noise from the cabin you're connected to? Or is it like and cabin and it depends on your neighbours? Will it already be locked or would we have to ask? We are also above the dining room. Do you tend to hear noise from there too? Just want to know if I need to pack some ear plugs :D

It all depends on your neighbors but yes they are noisier .

I have had connecting room with no problem, but, a little light at the bottom of the door that annoyed me when trying to get to sleep. Had the room attendant put a rolled up bedspread there,and he left if all week.

No problem since.

As said above, you can hear people if they are really noisy in any room, just like a hotel, you never know who your neighbours are going to be, but, I have been very lucky and never had too many problems either way.

Better now there is no smoking! You used to have that travel from room to room!

Once had a cruise where the parents sent the kids out to run up and down the corridors very early/late - guess they were in mom&dads way:eek:

But on day 3 I called and complained, and they stopped for a few days.

Do not stress, I am sure everything will be fine!.

Thanks everyone. We'll just enjoy ourselves and see how it goes. If the worst happens then we're only on for 3 night and we'll not book a connecting cabin or chance a guarantee again. The guarantee balcony was the same price as an inside so it seemed silly not to take it when my hubby had wanted a balcony last time and this was his 30th birthday surprise. We have quite a high tolerance to noise anyway as we have twin boys who have just turned 4 and a 20mth old boy so there is lots of noise in our house :rolleyes:

Archived