NY Times: Savoring a Bygone Splendor: The Maritime Menu

Boytjie

Oh my, I remember when the menus were beautiful like this and we were given the entire collection at the end of the cruise - normally signed by our steward, wine steward and anyone else we wanted.

I still have mine from way back when:D

Thanks for sharing this article. Guess we could say those were the days, but how many of us would have been able to cruise back then? Or as often as we do now? Certainly not us. While I pine for those gracious days of cruising, I have to ask myself could I afford it or would I be watching it unfold in a movie like An Affair to Remember, most of which was shot aboard the United States, and dreaming if only... Ladies, remember those gorgeous chiffon gowns Deborah Kerr wore to dinner?

Mariner's Museum is down the street from us, less than a 5 minute drive. We know they are one of the largest maritime museums in the world but didn't realize they had extensive menus too. Must be back in the library section.

If you get a chance to come to Newport News, VA, stop & visit, particularly if you love ships.

Thanks for sharing this article. Guess we could say those were the days, but how many of us would have been able to cruise back then? Or as often as we do now? Certainly not us. While I pine for those gracious days of cruising, I have to ask myself could I afford it or would I be watching it unfold in a movie like An Affair to Remember, most of which was shot aboard the United States, and dreaming if only... Ladies, remember those gorgeous chiffon gowns Deborah Kerr wore to dinner?

Mariner's Museum is down the street from us, less than a 5 minute drive. We know they are one of the largest maritime museums in the world but didn't realize they had extensive menus too. Must be back in the library section.

If you get a chance to come to Newport News, VA, stop & visit, particularly if you love ships.

Yep, no way we could have afforded it but it's nice to dream.

How about Now, Voyager, The Lady Eve, and Gentleman Prefer Blonds... all feature travel by ocean liner, dressing for dinner, and I love 'em all.

Thanks for the link...good article...I would love to see all those menus! My grandparents lived in Hawaii for a time in the 60's and they sailed on the Lurline?

I was newly married and I remember my grandmother gave me two beautiful menus with wonderful watercolor tropical scenes on the front...I framed them in simple yellow and green frames and kept them for years...they were beautiful, whimsical and would take me "away" to the tropics whenever I looked at them...of course they are long gone:(

Thanks for bringing back that memory for me this morning:):):)

Very enjoyable reading. One long forgotten diversion on those ships is the ballroom where one could dance with one's spouse to a small orchestra. I always dreamed of being one of those dance partners who were available to the ladies who were traveling alone.

Ahhh the good old days.

Archived