Can I walk to my ship?

palermo22

We are staying at the Andante Hotel - it's at the lower end of Las Ramblas - perhaps a block off the walking street and fairly close to the Columbus Monument. I know we're near the port area - we are on the Royal Princess. Would that be a fairly easy walk or will we need a taxi?

Thanks

We have done that walk many times but would not want to be hauling luggage over the bridge. From your hotel its a relatively inexpensive taxi ride which is the best way if you have luggage.

Hank

We're in Barcelona for a day in port next month on the Royal & considering walking to Ramblas & the Gothic Quarter. We had a quick walk down Ramblas in December after touring Montserrat, Sagrada Familia & Guell Parc. We're planning on a less hectic walk but not sure about the walk from the pier. Rick Steves says it's a 20-40 walk depending on the pier the ship is docked to the Columbus statue. Some have mentioned the bridge being steep exiting the harbor area but we do a lot of walking & wondering if you think walking from the ship to Ramblas without bags is doable...thanks.

We're in Barcelona for a day in port next month on the Royal & considering walking to Ramblas & the Gothic Quarter. We had a quick walk down Ramblas in December after touring Montserrat, Sagrada Familia & Guell Parc. We're planning on a less hectic walk but not sure about the walk from the pier. Rick Steves says it's a 20-40 walk depending on the pier the ship is docked to the Columbus statue. Some have mentioned the bridge being steep exiting the harbor area but we do a lot of walking & wondering if you think walking from the ship to Ramblas without bags is doable...thanks.

For anyone used to walking a mile its a relatively easy stroll, almost totally on sidewalks. If I do it myself (I am a walker) it will take about 25 min. With DW I would figure on about 30 min. There is a walkway from the port up to the bridge and then safe sidewalks on either side of the bridge. It is true that the ramp from the port to the bridge has an upslope....but is certainly not what we would call steep. DW did this walk on a bum knee (which was totally replaced less then 2 years later) with no problems. I love this walk on a nice day because the views from the bridge are nice and its a relaxing way to get into town (or back to the ship). After being cooped up on a ship (we do a lot of transatlantic repo cruises where we have many sea days) I truly look forward to this walk since its good exercise, very safe, and the air over the harbor smells nice and clean. There is a security gate at the harbor entrance but they seem to have no interest in walkers.

Hank

For anyone used to walking a mile its a relatively easy stroll, almost totally on sidewalks. If I do it myself (I am a walker) it will take about 25 min. With DW I would figure on about 30 min. There is a walkway from the port up to the bridge and then safe sidewalks on either side of the bridge. It is true that the ramp from the port to the bridge has an upslope....but is certainly not what we would call steep. DW did this walk on a bum knee (which was totally replaced less then 2 years later) with no problems. I love this walk on a nice day because the views from the bridge are nice and its a relaxing way to get into town (or back to the ship). After being cooped up on a ship (we do a lot of transatlantic repo cruises where we have many sea days) I truly look forward to this walk since its good exercise, very safe, and the air over the harbor smells nice and clean. There is a security gate at the harbor entrance but they seem to have no interest in walkers.

Hank

Thank you very much Hank...just wanted I wanted to know. :)

Our cardio walks are 3 to 5 miles so we should be okay walking into Barcelona.

We're sailing from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale & in Barcelona from 0900 to 2000 so plenty of time to walk around town. We also need to decide which day is best to have our UBD & have several options to enjoy it during sailaway (Naples-1900; Civitavecchia-1900; Cannes-1800; Barcelona-2000).

Thanks again for your detailed info...

While you may very well be able to make that walk...you may be very sorry you opted to do that once on the bridge...We saw many that appeared to have that experience as we drove by ;)

Agreed.

We are fit too and have walked absolutely everywhere, but that doesn't mean we would ever do this. Cabs are cheap and cheerful and will take you straight to the ship. Our Med cruise was in June/July and there is no way we would have made it dragging luggage in the hot sun. The wheels on the bags would have been toast, and so would we! It's hot! Not the way I want to start out a fabulous cruise vacation.

In the past when on a day stop in Barcelona, we have walked off the ship and into town, no problem and we have enjoyed strolling in the area around the port and aquarium while walking to las Ramblas.

however, the new expanded ship terminal in Barcelona where the large ships are (we were on the Royal Princess ) is farther away and over a bridge.

I vote with those recommending a taxi.

You can cross the street from the Columbus Statue (toward the water), and grab the port shuttle bus from there. €2.50/ea. You never really know what berth your ship will be at

Thats always been my experience also.

I personally feel that the walk down the Rambles combined with the port shuttle is a piece of cake, even rolling luggage...

Of course, as always here on CC "opinions vary" :)

Srpilo

I walk everywhere and run 10 miles with ease. And I would not do the walk to the ship from the Columbus monument even if I was by myself let alone with fellow travelers. The port shuttle is the way to go. It's right across the street from the Columbus column. I've seen passengers schlep across the bridge hauling their luggage and they looked miserable.

Bklynhtsnyc

Archived