CrabFest

luv2cruise6146

I have been hearing tidbits about a crabfest that is being tried out on Princess ships. Apparently it is $20 and is done in the back of the Horizon Court. This was not on my last sailing this summer, but we will boarding again soon and this sounds wonderful. Does anyone know anything more about it? Thank you in advance!

This was posted on "Grand Princess 10-day Mexican Riviera" review. He apparently just got back.

They were piloting a new Crabfest ($20 cover, reservations recommended) up on the back of Horizon Court, we didn't get to try this but it sounds/ed good from the people we spoke to who attended (available on Royal, Star and Grand right now).

This is a photo of the "Crab Shack" menu from the Royal Princess. Cost is $20 and it is offered for dinner in a portion to the Horizon Court several times a cruise. As others have posted, it is also being offered as a trial on the Grand and the Star. Definitely not fleet wide at this time.

9213796481_a151ec7874_b.jpg

Edited by IECalCruiser

Where are the crab cakes, she-crab soup, crab claws, etc.? I am also a corn-on-the-cob snob and like to eat it the day it's picked if possible.

Me too, I am also used to same-day crab.

But I also understand that on a moving ship, corn fields and crab lines and lobster pots are, um, problematic!

:D

Sent using Tapatalk 2 'cause it works on iOS 7 :D

This is a photo of the "Crab Shack" menu from the Royal Princess. Cost is $20 and it is offered for dinner in a portion to the Horizon Court several times a cruise. As others have posted, it is also being offered as a trial on the Grand and the Star. Definitely not fleet wide at this time.

9213796481_a151ec7874_b.jpg

Thanks for posting the menu!

:eek: Where is the crab???? :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

I had heard/read that there was a Joe's Crab Shack on the Royal. Perhaps this is what they are talking about. The menu is very much like a Joe's Crab Shack, mini version. I would like the steamer pot! I have no idea how Joe's does it, but the corn on the cob they serve has the taste and consistency of fresh picked corn. Maybe they shared their secret with Princess? Nah, probably not. Restaurant corn on the cob is usually mushy and icky.

I had heard/read that there was a Joe's Crab Shack on the Royal. Perhaps this is what they are talking about. The menu is very much like a Joe's Crab Shack, mini version. I would like the steamer pot! I have no idea how Joe's does it, but the corn on the cob they serve has the taste and consistency of fresh picked corn. Maybe they shared their secret with Princess? Nah, probably not. Restaurant corn on the cob is usually mushy and icky.
This isn't a Joe's Crab Shack, just the Crab Shack.

Looks pretty decent to me !!!! Some people are hard to please !!!!

Looks pretty darned good to me too, but I not a 'foodie' by any stretch of the imagination. I plan on eating there TWICE on my little Royal Princess cruise in December. :D I'm guessing some folks are expecting the equivalent of a Chesapeake Bay seafood restaurant.

Here's a picture from the Maiden Voyage LIVE thread of the Mixed Steamer pot served at the Crab Shack on Royal Princess. Add appetizers, soup, and dessert and it's a pretty good looking meal! :D

6a9564eefaeb11e2896922000a1fbe1a_7.jpg

(Credit Donna Hull)

They have some similar places (most notably the Crab Pot on the Seattle waterfront) in Seattle that serve something like this. Basically, you get a big bowl of steamed seafood (crab, shrimp, mussels, etc.) and they put a layer of paper over the table and dump the whole thing out, at which point you eat it with your hands (they give you a hammer to break shells.) I haven't tried it on land (the price is a bit steep at $25-40 per person, and you need at least 2 people to order) but might give it a shot if it's offered on the Golden Princess next May and I can convince my friends to go.

Somehow I doubt they'll be offering this one on Formal Nights though.

Edited by Vexorg

Here's a picture from the Maiden Voyage LIVE thread of the Mixed Steamer pot served at the Crab Shack on Royal Princess. Add appetizers, soup, and dessert and it's a pretty good looking meal! :D

(Credit Donna Hull)

And you get free T shirts as well???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

(Credit Donna Hull)

That King Crab leg is a meal in itself. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app