Cruise #2 - a few questions

Heading out on Enchantment this month on the 11th. The room steward - I don't ask for or expect anything special and I'm not messy. I left $10 in the envelope for my room steward at the end of the cruise (3 night cruise). Was that an appropriate amount. Is it better to leave the tip daily?

Blanket. I froze my butt off on my last cruise. I'd like to get an extra blanket just in case. Would that be the room steward who I would ask. Or is that something I could go on-line into my reservation and request.

Do not disturb card. Do you put that in when you are in your room too. I'm pretty low maintenance. Last time, I'm in my skimpy jammies and he's knocking on my door in the early evening to, I don't know - maybe provide turn down service. When I'm in my room, I'd rather not be disturbed.

Thanks.

Ask the stateroom attendant for an extra blanket.

We put the DND card in the slot at night, and don't take it out until we are dressed to leave the stateroom. The stateroom attendant appreciates the use of the DND and Make Up Room cards.

Whatever you decide to leave as a tip is fine. Daily or the end of the cruise is also fine.
I'd ask the steward if I needed a blanket.
Yes, we definitely use the card when we are in the room. He won't knock.
Enjoy your cruise. :)

[quote name='JosieCat-MN'] I left $10 in the envelope for my room steward at the end of the cruise (3 night cruise). [/quote]

Im not sure what the current breakdown is now but 10.00 for 3 nights would have been a bit under the suggested guidelines from years past :)

[quote name='JosieCat-MN']Heading out on Enchantment this month on the 11th. The room steward - I don't ask for or expect anything special and I'm not messy. I left $10 in the envelope for my room steward at the end of the cruise (3 night cruise). Was that an appropriate amount. Is it better to leave the tip daily?

Blanket. I froze my butt off on my last cruise. I'd like to get an extra blanket just in case. Would that be the room steward who I would ask. Or is that something I could go on-line into my reservation and request.

Do not disturb card. Do you put that in when you are in your room too. I'm pretty low maintenance. Last time, I'm in my skimpy jammies and he's knocking on my door in the early evening to, I don't know - maybe provide turn down service. When I'm in my room, I'd rather not be disturbed.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Josie:

With the gratuities being added automatically to your SeaPass account, you don't have to give your cabin steward any cash.

If you wish to give him more than the daily amount, then the end is the best time.

I cannot imagine needing an extra blanket with those heavy heavy heavy comforters on the beds, but if you really need one, just ask.

Definitely use the Do Not Disturb card whenever you don't want to be disturbed! I automatically put it out when I come in for the night, and don't remove it until I am on my way out of the cabin in the morning.

[quote name='JosieCat-MN']Heading out on Enchantment this month on the 11th. The room steward - I don't ask for or expect anything special and I'm not messy. I left $10 in the envelope for my room steward at the end of the cruise (3 night cruise). Was that an appropriate amount. Is it better to leave the tip daily?

Thanks.[/quote]

I don't know when your last cruise was but the tips are now automatically deducted from your account on a daily basis. The envelopes are a thing of the past unless you want to leave a little extra you're free to do so.

Always use the door cards. The stewards appreciate it. They don't want to interrupt you to do their job. You'd just be in the way :-)

We always use the DND card if we're in the room and don't want to be disturbed, and we always put the "Make up room" card in when we're going to be out of the room for more than a few minutes and we might be expecting the daily make-up or turndown service.

Thanks all - this is new to me. My cruise was just in July. I was aware that I had pre-tipped, but from reading this forum it seems like everyone else left extra - so I did too. They still put the envelopes in my cabin, so I'm not sure they are a thing of the past :) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going overboard (or underboard). I usually leave $5 a day in Vegas, but I haven't pre-tipped there - so wasn't sure what was appropriate, and like I said - I didn't ask for any extras.

I'm a freeze baby. Nights 1 and 2 weren't too bad, but we lost power during the afternoon on the third day and the ship got very hot. I think the AC was working overtime to cool the ship down at night - and adjusting my thermostat did nothing. Plus I was tired too - which means I get cold. I was a girl scout - I just want to be prepared :)

Good to know about the DND card. I will make sure I keep it in whenever I'm in my cabin.

Josie -

We only tip extra when we get extra - maybe about half the time. We do prepay tips though. Do what's comfortable for you - it's not a one size fits all......

100 days until our next cruise but who's counting!

[quote name='JosieCat-MN']Do not disturb card. Do you put that in when you are in your room too....[/quote]

Absolutely. Every single time we enter our room, the DND card goes in the slot. [B]Every time[/B]. You honestly never know when either the cabin steward or the bar services staff will be wanting to come in. A quick potty break can be mighty embarrassing if the card is not in the slot. :o

Just be careful and do not leave the DND on the door when you head out for the day like we did once. :o
Room steward of course didn't touch the room (our fault) but what was worse he was concerned there was something wrong with us. :eek:

Bill

Archived