Western, Eastern, Southern Caribbean?

easy_123

Okay, technically we are not First Time Cruisers as we went on an Alaskan cruise the first week of September. But, I don't know where else to ask my question.

I want - nay, I NEED - to go on another cruise but my problem is where. We are thinking of a 7 day Caribbean one but which one, an Eastern, Western or Southern?

We are not the "lay around on the beach" type nor are we the "splash in the surf" type. I can imagine us snorkeling and "seeing the sites", and of course, doing the ever-present, ever-consuming "shop til you drop" hiking! We are both in our early 60s and in reasonable health, and would like to stay somewhat within that demographic.

Thanks!

(FYI: I will be posting my question on the Princess section as that is where we have FCCs. But we are open to lines as well.)

As we have been on all three routes (plus Alaska), we highly recommend the southern route. There are a variety of ports including Cartagena, Aruba, Curacao, etc. Most of these cruises are longer than seven days unless you cruise out of Puerto Rico. I am 62 and my DW is 51 and we definitely prefer Celebrity or HAL albeit we have an RCI cruise booked for 1/15 on QOS going to the southern Caribbean. You will get several responses with different choices. Our decision is based on length of cruise, age(s) of clientele and quality of food and service.

Good luck in your choice...

love, Love, LOVE the Southern itinerary. Have done all three and would definitely go back to the Southern over the others. I just find that route to be so absolutely beautiful with the incredible Pitons of St. Lucia, the stunning naturalness of Dominica (although few lines go there - which may account for its naturalness), and the unspoiled views you can get from the beaches of the USVI and and British Virgin Islands. Starting the cruise in San Juan is also a treat - nothing like treading the streets of Old San Juan made of ship's ballast as you head to one of the old forts to get you really excited about your cruise!

Okay, stepping down off my soapbox to make way for others...:o

We have not been to Alaska yet, our 1st cruise was in 1987 and all have been in the Caribbean.

Tropical islands where you lay around on the beach" and "splash in the surf" are what the Carib is all about. That said there are many wonderful things to see and do, Lord Nelsons Dock Yard, Blackbeards hide out, the remains of cities destroyed by Volcanoes where the sand is black, Myan pyramid's, I could go on and on, this is in the East West or Southern. Go to the destinations area here on CC, it is a wealth of information.

If shopping is #1, it would be the East with St Thomas & St Marteen. Gr Caymen in the West is just like shopping at home but with lots of cheap t-shirts and the onix chess sets in Mexico have lost their luster.

We are repeating the East this Nov just with a diff cruise line from last year.

Every Caribbean island is different from all the others. Even if you can see one from the next, they may have different ethnic histories, languages and cultures. As well, one may be dry, the next may be lush and tropical, the next may be rocky and volcanic. Some islands are sophisticated and very developed. The island next door may have a struggling economy and just be learning about how to be a tourist destination.

In my experience (been to many) each one is interesting and unique. They all have more than beaches to offer. The CC Ports board and Trip Advisor can tell you a lot. And most countries have a website.

I like them all. Pick a route. And resolve to come back another time, and try another route.

The Southern Caribbean is by far the most scenic with stops like Tortola, St. Lucia and the Deux Pitons, Saint Maarten, St. Thomas, Curacao is very unique. They all have a charm and beauty, not much in the way of sights once you get ashore, but, they are quite lovely to spy from your balcony as you steam into port.

Jonathan

Okay, technically we are not First Time Cruisers as we went on an Alaskan cruise the first week of September. But, I don't know where else to ask my question.

I want - nay, I NEED - to go on another cruise but my problem is where. We are thinking of a 7 day Caribbean one but which one, an Eastern, Western or Southern?

We are not the "lay around on the beach" type nor are we the "splash in the surf" type. I can imagine us snorkeling and "seeing the sites", and of course, doing the ever-present, ever-consuming "shop til you drop" hiking! We are both in our early 60s and in reasonable health, and would like to stay somewhat within that demographic.

Thanks!

(FYI: I will be posting my question on the Princess section as that is where we have FCCs. But we are open to lines as well.)

I think the Southern route would be the most interesting. But whatever you chose, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

Southern is it. Start in San Juan Stay a few days there before you board the ship. So much to do rain forest, caves.

Curacao has so much to see. The ocean park were you can snorkel to feed the sharks and sea turtles. And more

Panama Canal. Omg. What can is say. Buying your banaculars. You can really sea the monkeys and tucan birds from the ship

Ps don't do the western. Island are not the same. Southern costs more but you know what they say. You get what you pay for

I don't think you will find many 7 day itineraries to the Southern Caribbean - even if you start fro San Juan (which in itself is worth a day or two pre-cruise). Western Caribbean ports are dismal compared with Eastern. From your comments, I'd suggest Celebrity, Princess, or HAL - followed by Royal Caribbean.

I don't think you will find many 7 day itineraries to the Southern Caribbean - even if you start fro San Juan (which in itself is worth a day or two pre-cruise). Western Caribbean ports are dismal compared with Eastern. From your comments, I'd suggest Celebrity, Princess, or HAL - followed by Royal Caribbean.

Between January and April there are over 70 cruises out of San Juan with the overriding majority on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival (other options are Sea Dream and Silversea). This port is really the best jumping off point for the Southern Caribbean. Unfortunately Princess is doing only 4 Southern Caribbean sailings in 2014...sailing out of Fort Lauderdale and only visiting Princess Cays, Aruba and Curacao, with 3 days at sea. HAL is not doing Southern Caribbean in 2014.

Southern is it. Start in San Juan Stay a few days there before you board the ship. So much to do rain forest, caves.

Curacao has so much to see. The ocean park were you can snorkel to feed the sharks and sea turtles. And more

Panama Canal. Omg. What can is say. Buying your banaculars. You can really sea the monkeys and tucan birds from the ship

Ps don't do the western. Island are not the same. Southern costs more but you know what they say. You get what you pay for

we have only done the western and eastern and like the western better. however, as the above said, it is not the same. western is more mexico and central America. the others are more islands. doing the southern this summer and cant wait!

Have done all, but our favorite would probably be Southern. Love, love, love PR..do go a day or two early to enjoy the sights there with the rum factory, shopping and the forts. Curacao is a favorite with a totally different feel from the others. Love Grand Cayman on the Western route. Swim with dolphins or sting rays, ride a submarine, turtle farm, town of Hell and of course the rum cakes. All of the islands offer something different and unique, and we aren't the lounging on the beach type either.

Archived