Anyone done a Birthday cruise solo?

lara_lox

This bites, I just realized duh My 50th birthday at the end of 2015 also coincides with the cruise rates doubling for people celebrating the New Year. I already pay double now...no way I can do a Birthday cruise. Darn end of December Birthdays...screwed over once again because of my date of birth.:( Always get $%#^$&^%& over because of Christmas and New Years. Almost 50 and never had a real Birthday party.

Celebrate your half-birthday instead!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be doing a birthday cruise in April. I didn't say I needed a cake because I felt a little embarrassed to get one. I'm modest and shy when it comes to stuff like that. I don't go around slipping it into conversations just to hear people day "happy bday".

I will be cruising solo for the first time this summer on a Western Caribbean on the NCL EPIC. It is a 40th birthday present to myself. I am beyond excited about all of it, the solo trip, my 40th as well as this being my first time on a non Royal Caribbean Ship! Fun times ahead!:D

Have booked a repositioning cruise for next year.... happens to fall on my birthday and absolutely honestly it's just another day.... I do NOT like marking the passing of my years whatsoever!! This will remove me from my kids unless they can be persuaded to come with me.... chuckle....

Hello- I wanted some opinions- I am going on one of these two (my birthday is Saturday October 25th) (This will be solo #4 on NCL, Jewel, Epic,Breakaway and I am from South Jersey- 90 minutes from NYC vs flying to Miami)

-The Getaway 10/18-10/25 -new ship but I would be leaving on my birthday and spending a good deal of it at the airport and flying (same route as Epic in 2011)

Breakaway again- 10/19-10/26- I did the route in 2010 but would not have to fly and instead would have a more relaxing birthday at sea.

Although some of the shows are different on the Getaway, a birthday at sea vs airport seems more fun!!

So great to hear the positive experiences here. I'll be going solo on the Grandeur for my birthday in May and I have had some doubts but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Plus, worse comes to worse, I have yummy food and look at the ocean by myself instead of work :)

I celebrated my birthday last month on the Silhouette and had a great time. I met a number of solos and 8 of us went to Q-sine for dinner. The sharing of small plates with a large group made it special. Good luck.

I celebrated my birthday last month on the Silhouette and had a great time. I met a number of solos and 8 of us went to Q-sine for dinner. The sharing of small plates with a large group made it special. Good luck.

Belated Happy Birthday:)...I sailed Sihlouette last April....great ship:D

And sounds like a fun evening in Qsine!

I wasn't planning a solo birthday cruise, but it's looking like my April cruise may turn out that way. It's looking a bit iffy as to whether the friend who booked with me will be able to go, but I'm determined to have a great time no matter what!

My first solo cruise was my birthday weekend and I had an amazing time! I always try to cruise the month of my birthday but that particular year, my birthday fell on a sea day, although I was suppose to be in Nassau - a storm kept us on the water till the following day.

I loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

My first solo cruise was also on my Birthday. I had a great time with friends who I met on these boards, We are still in contact and have done other cruises together. My family made sure I felt the love by having my room decorated, goodies sent to my room, drink coupons and a bottle of champagne and cake sent to the dining room.

Dolfansam,

This is off topic, but I noticed that you are in Germantown, MD. I also live in Germantown and go on a lot of cruises (at least one a year), many of them alone. If you are interested, maybe we can meet and become cruise buddies. I'm always searching for someone to join me.

Debbie

Hi everyone, well I did my birthday cruise and it was amazing! My birthday itself was far better than I could have ever expected. I've almost finished my review now so here's the link if you would like to read exactly how it went:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1955033

Just recently got back from a Birthday cruise on Carnival Miracle. I went to Hawaii and had a great time. I met a group of Gals from Texas on cruiscritic who took me to the steakhouse (Nick & Nora's) for my birthday. I did tell the cruiseline I was celebrating a birthday so they sent me a card to my stateroom. I have don a couple of solo birthday cruises before and am doing another one next January. A little bit of a late bloomer as my first birthday cruise was for my 47th birthday.:)

Denise

Edited by DKNYC

Hi, everyone I'm booked on Breakaway in October 26, 14 it's my Birthday week and Halloween. It will be my second solo cruise on Breakaway!!

Going the week before and it is my birthday (25th) and second time on breakaway as well! Prior was Bermuda, I am doing this as it is a good week to take off as well. Decided against doing the Getaway to avoid sitting in airport on birthday.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess technically my next cruise is not ON my birthday but I am taking 14 day cruise next spring to mark my signifcant "50" birthday year which begins at the end of this year.

I figure, if I can't take a holiday on my birthday I might as well celebrate the whole year. It's an important milestone and worth making the most of it.

I like the poster who said he ordered a cake and shared it with his table mates. I love that - if only I could pull that off 5 months after my actual birth date??? :D

If I could have made it work on my birthday I would have gone as a solo no problem.

I doing my 1st cruise ever solo for my birthday (12/2) on NCL Breakaway, the start date for it is Nov 30. I even get the added bonus of it falling on port day which is Port Canaveral, Fl - Haven't decide yet if I'm going to Disney world, Sea World or Universal studios. :) Best birthday present ever!! I might do it again next year and maybe turn it into tradition if NCL has cruises from NYC going during the last week of Nov or early Dec going anywhere.

• 2 years later...

Just found this thread while panicking about my first ever solo cruise, which is a present to myself for my 40's :D

Reading all the comments, it's funny how many of us had this idea of celebrating the big 40 in a cruise, solo! Did any of you write a review? I loved Lara Lox's birthday review and was wondering if there were more. Thanks and Happy cruising!

Doing my upcoming Brilliance Med/Venice cruise to kick off my summer of celebrating my 45th birthday solo (and will wrap the summer up with a solo trip to Disney World!)! This is going to be the most expensive trip I've ever taken, but as my dad reminds me "You only turn 45 once."

I love cruising solo - birthday or not! I get to set my agenda and not have to worry about others (either waiting on them to decide if they want to/can come along OR what they want to do, and as most of my friends have never cruised before I wouldn't really feel like I could celebrate because I'd have to be showing them the ropes).

And yes, I was geeky enough to get myself the birthday room decor package. :) Might as well have fun!!

Just found this thread while panicking about my first ever solo cruise, which is a present to myself for my 40's :D

Reading all the comments, it's funny how many of us had this idea of celebrating the big 40 in a cruise, solo! Did any of you write a review? I loved Lara Lox's birthday review and was wondering if there were more. Thanks and Happy cruising!

Add me to the list of people who is seriously considering taking a 40th birthday cruise this year. I've already been on 2 solo cruises with a 3rd scheduled in May. My 40th B-day cruise would be my 4th solo and 8th cruise overall.

I'm not a big "birthday" person. Normally it's just another day for me but I wanted to step out the box this one time and actually do something for a change. I have a friend who feels obligated to join me because we're celebrating her 40th in San Francisco next month. I told her no because she's never cruised before and the thought of being on a ship in the middle of the ocean is terrifying to her. The last thing I want is for her to be bitching and complaining the entire cruise, which may be selfish of me but oh well.lol

I'm going to be doing a solo birthday cruise! Last week I booked an Alaskan Princess cruise round-trip from San Francisco in August.

I was in the midst of trying to trying to plan a 30th Birthday party and since it was starting to fill me with dread I thought maybe I’d leave the country instead. ;)

I’ve never done a solo cruise before – which I’m actually looking forward to. We tend to keep to ourselves when cruising, so being solo will mean I’ll meet more people!

I'm going to be doing a solo birthday cruise! Last week I booked an Alaskan Princess cruise round-trip from San Francisco in August.

I was in the midst of trying to trying to plan a 30th Birthday party and since it was starting to fill me with dread I thought maybe I’d leave the country instead. ;)

I’ve never done a solo cruise before – which I’m actually looking forward to. We tend to keep to ourselves when cruising, so being solo will mean I’ll meet more people!

Good for you :)

I always cruise solo, and only ever with Princess - you'll have a great time :)

I've had several birthdays onboard too - treat myself to an afternoon at the spa, then movies under the stars :D

I'm coming to Brisbane in September, to join the Sun Princess for a cruise to PNG, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu - can't wait :D