Delayed boarding email due to Open Loop Cruise???

peggisue

Good afternoon ..... just got an email from Carnival regarding our upcoming Legend cruise on Monday out of Tampa. I did a search of these boards and found many posts about boarding being delayed due to a Coast Guard inspection, but not one about an open loop cruise. The email said (in part):

On Monday, the Carnival Legend will be arriving in Tampa for the conclusion of a cruise that started in New York. This voyage is open loop (meaning it started and will end in different ports) and will require that our debarking guests go through additional document screening by Customs and Border Protection.

Consequently, in order to minimize your wait time and provide you with a smooth boarding experience, your cruise check-in is now scheduled from 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited, please do not arrive before 1:30 PM. Our departure remains the same at 4:00 PM.

I am a platinum cruiser, and am curious if anyone else has any experience with delayed boarding due to the cruise coming in before us being an open loop cruise. What time did you get to board? We'll have the VIP room to sit in, but with my older mom, I don't want to get stuck in there for hours.

Thanks so much for information!

Good afternoon ..... just got an email from Carnival regarding our upcoming Legend cruise on Monday out of Tampa. I did a search of these boards and found many posts about boarding being delayed due to a Coast Guard inspection, but not one about an open loop cruise. The email said (in part):

On Monday, the Carnival Legend will be arriving in Tampa for the conclusion of a cruise that started in New York. This voyage is open loop (meaning it started and will end in different ports) and will require that our debarking guests go through additional document screening by Customs and Border Protection.

Consequently, in order to minimize your wait time and provide you with a smooth boarding experience, your cruise check-in is now scheduled from 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited, please do not arrive before 1:30 PM. Our departure remains the same at 4:00 PM.

I am a platinum cruiser, and am curious if anyone else has any experience with delayed boarding due to the cruise coming in before us being an open loop cruise. What time did you get to board? We'll have the VIP room to sit in, but with my older mom, I don't want to get stuck in there for hours.

Thanks so much for information!

John Heald has said it could take a lot longer to disembark this is correct. I would go at 1:30 don't go earlier it could get filled up. Normally they send these emails out all the time to try to get you to come later but this time it is true.

John Heald has said it could take a lot longer to disembark this is correct. I would go at 1:30 don't go earlier it could get filled up. Normally they send these emails out all the time to try to get you to come later but this time it is true.

Sadly, for that reason most people probably aren't going to believe this is true. That's what Carnival gets for sending similar emails out every single sailing! I'd say it's a good thing you're platinum because most people will probably be arriving at their normal times.

Sadly, for that reason most people probably aren't going to believe this is true. That's what Carnival gets for sending similar emails out every single sailing! I'd say it's a good thing you're platinum because most people will probably be arriving at their normal times.

I know.

I also received the email. What about FTTF ?

Well if the debarking passengers are delayed, I imagine that means all boarding is delayed...FTTF, Platinum, or otherwise. Of course, when boarding is ready to begin you'll still get your same priority, which would be very helpful for a case like this! But with uncertainty as to when the ship can open up for embarkation, I'd plan to delay my arrival. Especially if I was FTTF/Platinum and knew I'd have priority anyways :) this is the kind of time when it is really worth it!

They said this about the leg of the Legend that did the TA to New York. But I never read anything about it. Or just missed it.

But the above posters are right. They seem to be broadcasting these emails now regularly, even to FTTF and VIP members, and many or even all cruises. It's as if they are trying to disburse the crowds to support the early embarkation of some.

And should I ever get one, I plan to still go early, prepared, hoping to get on as normal.

This is interesting since I'm booked on an open loop cruise next April. Didn't know that there would be a longer time to depart the ship due to this, real good to know. Just booked my flight home and am very happy now that I chose a later flight home but a little sad that I won't have the time I had planned to spend in New Orleans.

Even though they sent these out, folks still arrive before 10 am and complain constantly about having to wait to board. Folks who do arrive after 1:30 pm find little to no wait at all.

Folks that have to wait (for whatever reason) complained that "Carnival should have told them to come later" so now they do and folks complain.

They can't win.

FTTF doesn't put you ahead of all the others. The ship will still likely have passengers getting off.

And I would say just the opposite:

FTTF does put you in front of others - except Diamond & Platinums getting on the ship.

And you most likely WON'T be much delayed....but you could be.

I'd show up at 10 to 10:30 but would be preparted to wait. I'd like my chances.

Even though they sent these out, folks still arrive before 10 am and complain constantly about having to wait to board. Folks who do arrive after 1:30 pm find little to no wait at all.

OMG! I had to arrive once at 1:30 due to logistics, and it was my worst boarding ever, with the worst lines I have ever seen!

Another time I had to arrive at 3:30, and we walked right on board.

I would still rather arrive around 10:30ish and be seated and reading my kindle than sitting around a hotel room. The only thing that I do differently when I get one of those letters is to stop by a convenience store and purchase a sandwich and some chips just in case boarding really doesn't start until after lunch time.

I did a repositioning (Open loop) cruise when the victory went to homeport in San Juan. The information you have is correct about the longer disembarkation. It took aprox. 2 1/2 hrs longer for them to begin letting us off the ship because it was an open loop cruise. When we did get off I spotted a bunch of unhappy people waiting to get on and I can only imagine it was because they were waiting in the terminal so long.

My advise for what it's worth, get to the Port at around 1:30 - 2:00. You are going to get on the ship no matter what so why not be comfortable somewhere else other that the terminal and the "usually" hard chairs.

I think it's a way they try to stagger arrivals at the port. Some on our roll calls have reported getting this email (last month the email mentioned an immigration check), though we never have received an email about delayed embarkation.

We have done 2 repo cruises (start and end in different ports) and our debarkation was not delayed; we were able to meet our ride exactly as planned.

RE: Carnival's email mentioning "additional document screening"--what more is there to check besides passport and customs card?

They said this about the leg of the Legend that did the TA to New York. But I never read anything about it. Or just missed it.

But the above posters are right. They seem to be broadcasting these emails now regularly, even to FTTF and VIP members, and many or even all cruises. It's as if they are trying to disburse the crowds to support the early embarkation of some.

And should I ever get one, I plan to still go early, prepared, hoping to get on as normal.

This is NOT the usual "please don't arrive until a little later because we want to even out the boarding" email.

This is due to a very specific reason, an open loop cruise that starts in one port and ends in another, for which customs and debarkation are more scrutinous. Personally, I would heed it -- who wants to sit in the terminal for 2 extra hours? (all the while kvetching and moaning about sitting in the terminal for 2 extra hours! :rolleyes:)

What to do .... what to do? I guess I'll have to ask my mom if she would rather sit in the hotel room for a little longer or wait in the VIP room and we bring something to munch on.

I've always travelled with other folks who are not VIP and chose to board with them. What type of amenities are available in the VIP waiting room and how big is it?

And I would say just the opposite:

FTTF does put you in front of others - except Diamond & Platinums getting on the ship.

And you most likely WON'T be much delayed....but you could be.

I'd show up at 10 to 10:30 but would be preparted to wait. I'd like my chances.

While I don't know how it all worked out, they talked about a 4 hour debarkation when the Legend arrived in New York. This is completely different then the normal come a little late email.

The VIP room in Terminal 2 in Tampa is not a room...it is a large area with rows of seats. There are no refreshments or snacks available in this area. Because it is an open area and hard to supervise, there were FTTF, Platinum, and general boarding passengers all mingled together. When they started boarding Platinum and above, everyone stood up at the same time (regardless of their status) and there was a mass stampede to the gate...everyone was pushing and shoving and it got quite ugly.

While I don't know how it all worked out, they talked about a 4 hour debarkation when the Legend arrived in New York. This is completely different then the normal come a little late email.

True, but Carnival is still stating a departure time of 4 pm.

If no one starts boarding prior to 1:30 pm, they won't get everyone on the ship AND run col. mustards drill prior to 4 pm.

So Carnival is wrong on the front end or the back end.

To me odds say it's the front end (and Mr. & Mrs. Howell will get on well before 1:30 pm) ...but occasionally, it will be the back end and it will seriously delay boarding. I'd still take my chances and the Howell's will be happy they came early :)

5065888771_73d1c8397d.jpg

But if not:

tve762-19650206-136.jpg

We just arrive around 2pm. Last 4 cruises, there have been no lines. If we leave from an overnight hotel stay, we just ask for a late departure time, Has never been a problem.

Go with the flow...you will be on a vacation.....don't let the small stuff get to ya....

True, but Carnival is still stating a departure time of 4 pm.

If no one starts boarding prior to 1:30 pm, they won't get everyone on the ship AND run col. mustards drill prior to 4 pm.

So Carnival is wrong on the front end or the back end.

To me odds say it's the front end (and Mr. & Mrs. Howell will get on well before 1:30 pm) ...but occasionally, it will be the back end and it will seriously delay boarding. I'd still take my chances and the Howell's will be happy they came early :)

5065888771_73d1c8397d.jpg

But if not:

tve762-19650206-136.jpg

I would probably do the dame thing. Just wanted all to be aware. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Archived