Cruising the Caribbean in May from Florida

diplomats

I was surprized, when looking for a late spring cruise in the Caribbean, to find that my preferred lines, HAL, RCI, and Celebrity, seem to end their Caribbean season in April and have no sailings in May from South Florida. We are looking for 2015 and know the schedules are not yet out for 2015, but this situation seems to exist for 2014. Can anyone comment?? We really would like to find something other than Carnival in that time frame. Thanks

It is extremely hot in the Caribbean during May. The best time to cruise this region is during the winter months December through April when the temps are in the mid 70's to 80's.

The summer it is blisteringly hot and then hurricane season starts soon after.

Jonathan

What the temp in Caribbean

In aug.

new to cruising.

As discussed here many times, hurricanes require warm weather and pretty hot sea temps to exist and survive. So you can expect temps in the upper 80s, perhaps low 90s, and humidities in that range. An internet search for weather stats for a couple of key locations like San Juan, Nassau, etc, would get the actual data.

I remember doing a Panama Canal cruise in May once - it hit alot of the islands. Plus it was hot hot hot. But if you're determined to cruise the Caribbean in May, look for a Panama Canal cruise.

Very high chance that would be a repo cruise ending on the west coast.

Most of the cruiselines send their ships to Alaska or Europe during the summer months.

However, you will still be able to cruise on Carnival. Also, I belive Princess will now have a ship(s) in the Caribbean in the summer. Norwegian will have the brand new Getaway available. And then there's Royal Caribbean with Oasis and Allure.

Years ago, HAL always had their newest ship sailing the Caribbean in the summer and we loved doing those cruises in July and August. They started pulling all their ships for Alaska, Canada/NE and Europe where they can get much higher per diems for the same cabin, same ship. Avoiding hurricane season is a much lower reason. It's too bad as those cruises were wonderful. IMO :)

The temperature in the Caribbean doesn't change that much all year but the humidity goes up considerably in summer.

What the temp in Caribbean

In aug.

new to cruising.

If you do a search you'll get temperature averages and it can be misleading.

We went to St. Thomas one August and it was hot, but not unbearable if you are accustomed to heat.

Aruba in August is unbearable. There is a constant dry wind and coming out of the airport was like opening an oven door. Now I have lived in South Texas on the border and that was hot, but not as hot as Aruba.

So it all depends on where you are going and your heat tolerance.

You will get some good prices on airfare and hotels. Cruise prices may also be lower, just depends on the demand.

We have sailed a few times on RCI Liberty and Indy 8 night eastern caribbean in March-May and always had great weather.....Just returned from the Oasis Oct 5th sail eastern caribbean and maybe never again "HUMIDITY" unlike we are used to :eek::eek:

In addition to Oasis/Allure (from FLL), Royal Caribbean also has Freedom of the Seas doing year-round Caribbean sailings from Port Canaveral, and Jewel of the Seas doing year-round Southern Caribbean sailings from San Juan.

As someone else mentioned, Quantum (from NJ) and Grandeur (from Baltimore) should be alternating 9 day Caribbean sailings with 5 day Bermuda sailings, and Celebrity Summit should be doing 7 days Bermuda sailings from NJ during that time frame too.

We sailed this year in May and loved it. We normally sail with NCL and since they no longer offer cruises to the Caribbean during that time, we were forced to sail with Carnival. We went on the Dream and I have to admit, we loved it. The ship was beautiful and it was a great experience dispite what everyone was telling me.

Next year, NCL will have their new ship (Getaway) in the Caribbean all summer. :D

Archived