how do they determine upgrade???

hmorrow

Normally we pick a specific stateroom, but this time we are trying to "go on the cheap(like that will happen-lol), so we did a VH balcony guaranty.

Is there any rhyme or reason to how they pick the upgrades? Like- if the last time we cruised on HAL, we had an SA, would they be more likely to give us an SA this time? Or would we just get the next balcony in line?

Helaine

Normally we pick a specific stateroom, but this time we are trying to "go on the cheap(like that will happen-lol), so we did a VH balcony guaranty.

Is there any rhyme or reason to how they pick the upgrades? Like- if the last time we cruised on HAL, we had an SA, would they be more likely to give us an SA this time? Or would we just get the next balcony in line?

Helaine

More than likely you will be assigned a balcony at a higher "balcony" category (next in line or higher). You may be offered an upsell to SA, but I would guess there is only a very slim chance of being assigned an SA from a VH.

We're going in 3 weeks, so as soon as I get an assignment, I'll report back!

It WILL be great, regardless( well- unless we get a steel balcony, instead of plexiglass)

I've never been on a bad cruise!!!

helaine

If only I could tell fortunes -- then I would be able to tell you if you will get an upgrade.

But -- none of us have figured out how the upgrade fairy works.

One thing is certain -- to make it all the way to an SA from VH -- that would be an upsell and even that may not be offered. It would most likely be offered to people in the SZ, SY or SX cabins first.

I have had three upgrades / upsells with HAL. The common factors... all booked close to sailing date. All book directly with HAL. All booked without insurance.

We've had 2 upgrades, 1 upsell. Always booked at least 6 months before sailing, never booked directly with HAL (always with our local TA) and we always get insurance. You never know.

We've had 2 upgrades, 1 upsell. Always booked at least 6 months before sailing, never booked directly with HAL (always with our local TA) and we always get insurance. You never know.

It is interesting that we have all had different experiences. I wonder if HAL gives travel agents some special treatment so they remain their cruise line of choice? Your right there are so many factors, but I think since HAL controls the inventory, my chances are better booking directly with HAL. So far it has worked well for me 3 of 6 bookings have been upgraded. How many eligible sailings with HAL have you been on to receive the 2-upgrades?

Nice chatting with you...

BTW - I am not saying you are a Travel Agent, I just know there are a lot of TA's who read these postings often have a different point of view.

Same here - always with out TA (not local) and usually book more than one year out although we have done one 'last minute' cruise. We've had several upsell offers and one upgrade when we booked a guarantee. :D

I honestly don't think it makes a difference if you book directly with HAL or not.

Not sure how the fairy determines where to sprinkle the dust, but I'm always happy if it lands on us:)

Helaine

If we knew, why would any of us pay the price for an "SA"? :D

Of course, we'd use our magic secret to book a lower price cabin and take the free upgrade or low cost upsell. ;)

My theory is the upgrade fairy has a dartboard and where the dart lands is who gets the upgrade. :D

Good luck.

Same here - always with out TA (not local) and usually book more than one year out although we have done one 'last minute' cruise. We've had several upsell offers and one upgrade when we booked a guarantee. :D

I honestly don't think it makes a difference if you book directly with HAL or not.

Not sure how the fairy determines where to sprinkle the dust, but I'm always happy if it lands on us:)

What would not having insurance have to do with being offered an upgrade/upsell? :confused:

What would not having insurance have to do with being offered an upgrade/upsell? :confused:

Maybe this:

Booked passenger revenue = $1,500. (example without insurance)

Booked passenger revenue = $1,800. (example same room with insurance)

Now, you are counting the beans in the Seattle back office... Who would you offer the upsell to first?

Many of us refuse HAL cancellation coverage.

Their best policy only provide $10,000 in medical. Most of us would consider that inadequate.

There are many other sources of real medical/travel insurance with or without cancellation/interruption coverage.

It is interesting how different people's experiences are. We've sailed with HAL 4 times - got 2 upgrades (as mentioned above).

I live in a small town (pop. 6000) so I doubt whether HAL would give my TA any special treatment.

I think I booked on the first sunny day after a full moon - maybe that's the ticket. Nothing else seems to fit.

Many of us refuse HAL cancellation coverage.

Their best policy only provide $10,000 in medical. Most of us would consider that inadequate.

There are many other sources of real medical/travel insurance with or without cancellation/interruption coverage.

ditto here Sail - we don't use HAL's coverage - we get better coverage elsewhere. Sorry, when I quoted the poster, I didn't mean to throw insurance into the discussion.

ditto here Sail - we don't use HAL's coverage - we get better coverage elsewhere. Sorry, when I quoted the poster, I didn't mean to throw insurance into the discussion.

You didn't mention the insurance. :)

The other poster you quoted did.

I suppose I more accurately should have quoted both?

Sorry. :o

I don't think who does and who doesn't have insurance has any bearing on who gets offered an upgrade. They have enough problems doing their job in Seattle and the left hand knowing what the right hand is doing without checking into every passenger's insurance info - and how the heck would they know anyway?;)

Just my experience --

I have completed 14 cruises on HAL, 13 of which I booked. The first cruise was booked by my sister as basically anywhere on the ship. I ended up with an outside obstructed.

11 of the remaining cruises were booked as outside guarantees, all of which were (by HAL's designations) upgraded some. I have not had another obstructed view.

The other two were booked as a specific cabin but marked to allow an upgrade, both were.

The first and three others had a travel agent involved, the rest were exclusively with a HAL PCC.

One thing you have to look at when talking about upgrades is what HAL considers an upgrade - and what others might think.

Just my experience --

I have completed 14 cruises on HAL, 13 of which I booked. The first cruise was booked by my sister as basically anywhere on the ship. I ended up with an outside obstructed.

11 of the remaining cruises were booked as outside guarantees, all of which were (by HAL's designations) upgraded some. I have not had another obstructed view.

The other two were booked as a specific cabin but marked to allow an upgrade, both were.

The first and three others had a travel agent involved, the rest were exclusively with a HAL PCC.

One thing you have to look at when talking about upgrades is what HAL considers an upgrade - and what others might think.

Valid point... HAL does control the upgrade and they would need to benefit the Company too.

to further support the passenger profitability theory (which is why HAL is in business, yes to make U.S. Corporate profit $$$ - and that is not a bad thing...)

Maybe my 50% upgrade success is also based on keeping a repeat passenger happy who spends money on board in the gift shop, shore excursions, on-board wine purchases, cocktails in the theater (full price)?

Their goal is to fill up the ship in excess of 100% with the most profitable passengers.

I think it would be naive to think it would be totally random, but the dart board concept made me laugh out loud. (**** THANKS for the laugh***)

Archived