Allure and propulsion problems.

bilyclub

Hey there!

I am on the sailing January 19th. My itinerary says 11am to 7pm for St. Thomas.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

The press release states the following:

Allure of the Seas will now call on Nassau, Bahamas, from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is no need to modify Allure of the Seas' western Caribbean itineraries."

My original itinerary showed St. Thomas from 10:00am-7:00pm, but does show 11:00-7:00 now.

I thought the recent cruises were showing up later than normal and leaving about 30 minutes early? I think I'm doing a good job of confusing myself. LOL. The extra few hours won't make a difference. I'm just wondering why they say 5:00 now?

The press release states the following:

Allure of the Seas will now call on Nassau, Bahamas, from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and on Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is no need to modify Allure of the Seas' western Caribbean itineraries."

My original itinerary showed St. Thomas from 10:00am-7:00pm, but does show 11:00-7:00 now.

I thought the recent cruises were showing up later than normal and leaving about 30 minutes early? I think I'm doing a good job of confusing myself. LOL. The extra few hours won't make a difference. I'm just wondering why they say 5:00 now?

Haha mad confusion now! I think it may be a miscommunication??? Maybe? I think the last couple sailings left St. Thomas at around 6:45pm?

I hope this was an error...

They state for the revised itinerary for Eastern:

St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m

I thought they have been there 11:00-11:30 and all aboard at 6:30, leaving at 7:00. There hasn't been an issue getting into St. Martin on time. I'm not sure why they would move it up to 5:00 (or 4:30 all aboard).

Its a screw up, no doubt. ;)

My opinion only.

1/ The type of repairs ultimately isolated ( premature wearing of a thrust bearing....an old woe with azipod equipement ) can only be remedied during a drydock visit .

2/ The Grand Bahama Shipyard's largest dock ( dock # 3 ) is 1,017' long.

The Oasis/Allure are 1,181' long.

Why had RCL decided to sail Oasis all the way to Europe for her next scheduled routine/upgrade drydcok visit, 2014 ?? Easy to presume there simply are no yard on our Continent with a drydock long enough for her....

Back to #1 above...and let's do the maths.

As a previous poster stated, '' the engineering surely has figured it out''...

I suggest GBSY is working on a dredging solution which would produce

~~ 180' additionnal drydocking space to deck #3......thus the February 23rd booking for Allure, although it's clear what's needed now.....

I also offer the opinion this would benefit GBSY in the long run, allowing it to bid on drydock work for ships in the '' 1150-1175' long'' category.

i=e QM2 , the 3rd ''Oasis'' to come in '16, The Quantum class which I beleive are over 1100' long ( could be wrong...)

Again

MY OPINION only.

Cheers

My opinion only.

1/ The type of repairs ultimately isolated ( premature wearing of a thrust bearing....an old woe with azipod equipement ) can only be remedied during a drydock visit .

2/ The Grand Bahama Shipyard's largest dock ( dock # 3 ) is 1,017' long.

The Oasis/Allure are 1,181' long.

Why had RCL decided to sail Oasis all the way to Europe for her next scheduled routine/upgrade drydcok visit, 2014 ?? Easy to presume there simply are no yard on our Continent with a drydock long enough for her....

Back to #1 above...and let's do the maths.

As a previous poster stated, '' the engineering surely has figured it out''...

I suggest GBSY is working on a dredging solution which would produce

~~ 180' additionnal drydocking space to deck #3......thus the February 23rd booking for Allure, although it's clear what's needed now.....

I also offer the opinion this would benefit GBSY in the long run, allowing it to bid on drydock work for ships in the '' 1150-1175' long'' category.

i=e QM2 , the 3rd ''Oasis'' to come in '16, The Quantum class which I beleive are over 1100' long ( could be wrong...)

Again

MY OPINION only.

Cheers

Most of your opinions are pretty accurate. As I mentioned it will be interesting to see how this repair job is going to be completed and how the logistics of dry docking a ship that is obviously bigger than the dry dock shapes up.

I'm gonna speculate that the Oasis and Allure are going to Europe for their 5 year maintenance based on 2 things: Royal negotiated a good package price for the two ships and there was more available dry dock space in Europe. I am almost sure that the only private shipyard in the US with a dry dock large enough for Oasis/Allure is Newport News Shipbuilding in Virginia. The main reason Newport News was not chosen is due to the large amount of work done for the US Navy. This shipyards dry docks stay full most of the year doing repair work on aircraft carriers and submarines.

Type:Cruise shipTonnage:167,800 GT[2]Length:348 m (1,142 ft)[3]Beam:41 m (135 ft)[3]Draught:8.5 m (28 ft)[2]Decks:18[4] (16 passenger-accessible)[2]Propulsion:Diesel-electric

Two 20.5 MW (27,500 hp) ABB Azipod XO thrusters[5]

Four 3,500 kW (4,694 hp) bow thrusters[2]Speed:22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph)[3]Capacity:4,180 passengers (double occupancy)[2]

4,905 passengers (maximum occupancy)

Edited by bilyclub

Most of your opinions are pretty accurate. As I mentioned it will be interesting to see how this repair job is going to be completed and how the logistics of dry docking a ship that is obviously bigger than the dry dock shapes up.

I'm gonna speculate that the Oasis and Allure are going to Europe for their 5 year maintenance based on 2 things: Royal negotiated a good package price for the two ships and there was more available dry dock space in Europe. I am almost sure that the only private shipyard in the US with a dry dock large enough for Oasis/Allure is Newport News Shipbuilding in Virginia. The main reason Newport News was not chosen is due to the large amount of work done for the US Navy. This shipyards dry docks stay full most of the year doing repair work on aircraft carriers and submarines.

Actually, most shipyards in the states that handle Navy work are not interested in commercial ship repair work. The scheduling, estimating, and cost structures are so different that the yards prefer to deal with long term work on cost plus basis. Additionally, the cost of docking in the states is much greater.

Actually, most shipyards in the states that handle Navy work are not interested in commercial ship repair work. The scheduling, estimating, and cost structures are so different that the yards prefer to deal with long term work on cost plus basis. Additionally, the cost of docking in the states is much greater.

Also a good point.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Has anyone read CC's article about this? Not quite sure why these reports keep stating that the the Allure and Oasis are switching dry docks. Oasis was never scheduled to have work done in Feb to my knowledge and most certainly not in the Bahamas.

Has anyone seen anything regarding them switching in sept/oct?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5616

Has anyone read CC's article about this? Not quite sure why these reports keep stating that the the Allure and Oasis are switching dry docks. Oasis was never scheduled to have work done in Feb to my knowledge and most certainly not in the Bahamas.

Thats the week Allure will be taken out of service for drydock to fix the azipod issue.....K.O....:)

Yeah CC seems to have misinformation in that first paragraph. Allure is going in for repairs, not regular maintenance. So I would assume the *maintenance* drydock schedule for both Oasis and Allure will remain the same. Oasis in 2014 and Allure in 2015.

Here is the actual Press Release from Royal Caribbean;

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1050/royal-caribbean-announces-allure-of-the-seas-will-undergo-repairs-in-february-2014/

There were publicized comments a few days ago where Fain said they were considering switching the scheduled dry docks. Obviously that would be a great solution in the sense that it would avoid any overall cancellations. But since Oasis is scheduled in Sept/Oct in Europe, they obviously decided the Allure repairs couldn't wait and/or they didn't want to send her to Europe in her present condition. So the CC article takes 2+2 and come up with 3.5.

Looking at the recent post about the cancelled cruise, I was right about the bearing wear! If you remember, I was the first to post that it was in fact bearings that were the issue!

Now, maybe when I state a fact, people will realize that I know what I am talking about!

We are booked on the March 2nd sailing (immediately following the repair week). Wondering if there will be any impact to that schedule as well. Good or bad. Thinking positively, perhaps earlier boarding on the 2nd...

Assume Royal Caribbean will use this "down" week for other maintenance/upkeep/enhancements while the ship is clear of passengers. Might they announce this too?

Just curious. :)

I hope this was an error...

They state for the revised itinerary for Eastern:

St. Thomas, from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m

I thought they have been there 11:00-11:30 and all aboard at 6:30, leaving at 7:00. There hasn't been an issue getting into St. Martin on time. I'm not sure why they would move it up to 5:00 (or 4:30 all aboard).

They should give us money back .....