Grand - why no nightstands?

mariakitty

We are in the process of selecting cabins for a family cruise to Alaska in June 2014. We are looking at the Grand 7-day Inside Passage to Tracy Arm and there will be at least 8 family members going. My immediate family including my husband and two boys (9 and 11) will be in one cabin. We would like a balcony but we are running into the issue of "No Nightstands" in the cabin. What is up with that? This seems strange to me and I've never heard of this on Princess before. For what we will be paying for a cabin I do feel a nightstand would be appropriate. :)

We are fairly price sensitive due to taking our boys at the height of the Alaska season. My husband wants an inside and I want a mini, so the balcony was sort of a compromise. Has anyone had a cabin on the Grand without a nighstand? Was this a problem for you? Am I wrong that this feels like a cheapening of cabin amenities? Maybe I'm spoiled - I've never cruised Alaska without a mini-suite so I'm feeling like we will feel like sardines in such a small cabin.

~Maria

I got this right from Princess. I called them earlier in the week and I simply didn't believe the agent so I checked princess.com and the available balcony cabins that I checked say "Special Notes: NO NIGHTSTANDS". I can probably live without a nightstand, but I'm a nighttime reader and I like to have my clock, Kindle, etc. within easy reach. :)

MariaKitty,

Do not take those cabins unless you see the actual photos and agree to them. Are you near midships?

There are three cabins on both sides of the ship on (I think) both Aloha and Baja decks which are different than all other balcony cabins. Being narrower rooms with just a bed-aisle-bed layout (thus no nightstands) and IIRC, they are also non-convertible pullman style beds. There are pictures that were posted a while back here on CC. I will try to find the threads and post the link. The beds have a little cubbyhole at their head, but they remind me more of a train compartment than the usual balcony cabin. Everyone who has seen these cabins feels they are more suited to a kids dorm than a cruise ship. No way would I take those cabins at the same price as a 'real' balcony room.

eta-Found the post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20053991&postcount=8

Rooms are B429/431/433 B428/430/432

The linked post has photos.

Edited by cherylandtk

MariaKitty,

Do not take those cabins unless you see the actual photos and agree to them. Are you near midships?

There are three cabins on both sides of the ship on (I think) both Aloha and Baja decks which are different than all other balcony cabins. Being narrower rooms with just a bed-aisle-bed layout (thus no nightstands) and IIRC, they are also non-convertible pullman style beds. There are pictures that were posted a while back here on CC. I will try to find the threads and post the link. The beds have a little cubbyhole at their head, but they remind me more of a train compartment than the usual balcony cabin. Everyone who has seen these cabins feels they are more suited to a kids dorm than a cruise ship. No way would I take those cabins at the same price as a 'real' balcony room.

eta-Found the post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20053991&postcount=8

Rooms are B429/431/433 B428/430/432

The linked post has photos.

GAK!!! I would NOT want to have that cabin!!!

Who would have thunk? I would think those cabins are substantially less than the normal balcony cabin? I could see where they would appeal to people who want a balcony cabin at a lower price.

All of the balcony cabins that I've stayed in on Grand Princess have two - count 'em TWO - nightstands.

Nope, same exact BA category as the surrounding cabins. A real shame. In checking current online deckplans only these 6 cabins seem to have the notation. Not on Aloha deck on Grand, not on Star or Golden same Baja location either.

I was checking deck plans as well and only found this on Grand. I was totally blown away to see them listed as BA category cabins. I would be extremely upset to pay for a BA cabin and discover it was this cheesy room.

I was checking deck plans as well and only found this on Grand. I was totally blown away to see them listed as BA category cabins. I would be extremely upset to pay for a BA cabin and discover it was this cheesy room.

That's why you gotta watch those deck plans.

I've been on the Grand several times and always had night stands in cabin. Who would ever think that some of the cabins wouldn't have these. This is the first time I've heard of this. The cabin in the picture looks like something from an army barrack! Yuck!

That is such a sad little cabin! I'd feel like I was being punished instead of being on a vacation. Does it still have the desk and the tv area with a refrigerator?

:D Sorry ... but funny above!

Absolutely, sad little cabin .... :o

Our cabin on Grand was not at all like it ... but it wasn't an inside so I don't know what they are like.

LuLu

~~~~

We had those "unusual cabins" on the Grand for a 28 day cruise. It was our second cruise so we did not know any better. There is a Niche behind the bed that acts sort of like a holder, but not as convenient as a bed stand. I bet this is the cabin the OP was asking about.

Edited by dfields1814

We are in the process of selecting cabins for a family cruise to Alaska in June 2014. We are looking at the Grand 7-day Inside Passage to Tracy Arm and there will be at least 8 family members going. My immediate family including my husband and two boys (9 and 11) will be in one cabin. We would like a balcony but we are running into the issue of "No Nightstands" in the cabin. What is up with that? This seems strange to me and I've never heard of this on Princess before. For what we will be paying for a cabin I do feel a nightstand would be appropriate. :)

We are fairly price sensitive due to taking our boys at the height of the Alaska season. My husband wants an inside and I want a mini, so the balcony was sort of a compromise. Has anyone had a cabin on the Grand without a nighstand? Was this a problem for you? Am I wrong that this feels like a cheapening of cabin amenities? Maybe I'm spoiled - I've never cruised Alaska without a mini-suite so I'm feeling like we will feel like sardines in such a small cabin.

~Maria

what is a nightstand?

• 5 months later...

That actually looks like the other room in the family suite we got upgraded to last month on the Ruby. We put the kids there. It was a normal mini suite, plus that room in the picture, with an extended living area.