How much money would you pay to cruise with your best friend?

Mrs.Naughty

We would LOVE to take our little fur-baby with us, but not in a cage all day. He would be miserable in the strange cabin all day too with no human contact. We would worry about someone opening the cabin door and him disappearing. We would also be reluctant about leaving him by himself for so many hours while we were on an excursion. Instead, we have found a woman that keeps a few dogs in her home. We paid almost $800 for him to stay and it was worth every penny to know that he was safe, having a wonderful time and being loved on. She has pet sun cabanas in her back yard, has a flower garden for the dogs to play in along with a little water feature for the dogs to splash through, and her "spare rooms" have little toddler type beds for the dogs to sleep in. He had it better than he has it at home.

I think it's terrific that Cunard offers the ability to carry (a limited number of) dogs across the ocean on board - it's a great option for those moving one way or the other who cannot ship their dogs by air. However, I don't think it's a great situation for the pets and I certainly don't think it's a good idea for a vacation trip.

I think it's terrific that Cunard offers the ability to carry (a limited number of) dogs across the ocean on board - it's a great option for those moving one way or the other who cannot ship their dogs by air. However, I don't think it's a great situation for the pets and I certainly don't think it's a good idea for a vacation trip.

I couldn't agree more. Given the choice of being home in their familiar setting with either the f/t pet sitter who dotes on them or our son who they've known since we adopted them or in a noisy kennel with strange dogs in a crate which would totally totally freak my dogs out (rescue greyhounds), I know my dogs would much rather stay home.

Add to that they get their regular food and water to avoid tummy problems, they are on their regular schedule, and they get to bark at the regular people who walk past the house every day, it's mentally and physically better for the dogs to stay home.

I know that they are well cared for when I'm gone, and I am able to relax and enjoy my vacation. I do agree that it's a better option than loading them into a cargo compartment in a plane.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

How big is the pup.. I know it's a little different but I bring my Iguana all the time

And never have any problems anymore.... I don't take him off the ship when in the Caribbean ports bc one time I had a issue convincing the ships security that he really belonged to me

Don't even have to get him the drink package. He's good with drinking the pool water..:eek:

image.jpg.d875bc6fd6cd9ffd0cf136c4bcbf4ac0.jpg

Edited by WWbytheSEA

The book Ship of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter later made into a movie shows how some feel about dogs onboard. The dog is greatly loved and spoiled by a middle aged couple and annoys the other passengers. Two young children also dislike the dog and throw it overboard.

Much as we love our pets it's best to leave them safely at home.

How big is the pup.. I know it's a little different but I bring my Iguana all the time

And never have any problems anymore.... I don't take him off the ship when in the Caribbean ports bc one time I had a issue convincing the ships security that he really belonged to me

Don't even have to get him the drink package. He's good with drinking the pool water..:eek:

Ya sure okay. You aren't allowed to bring gold fish on board I hardly doubt you could bring an Iguana so I'm assuming your post is a joke.

My best friend is my dog that I bought for $20.00 form my local pound. My husband travels extensively for work and our dog has EARNED his spot in our family, we luv our dog so much. Our dog loves being out doors,going for hikes, massages and going to the beach. So yes i'd be willing to pay between $1500. and $3000. for my not so little mutt to cruise. The thought of leaving him alone on our next cruise makes me just a little sad.:( And yes I would also be willing to pay for excursions, couples massages and a non alcoholic beverage package for him. As I would not expect him to drink that water. So my question is would anyone else be willing to pay for their pooch to cruise?

Ms Naughty:

• No matter what you are willing to pay to take your doggy best friend on a cruise, it won't happen.
  • The only dogs allowed on cruise ships are service dogs. Your dog is not one of those.
  • Cunard alone allows pet dogs on board, and they only allow it for transatlantic crossings, not cruises.
  • On Cunard ships, the dogs do not stay with their owners in the cabins. They are in kennels and owners are allowed access to walk their dogs.

Forget about taking your dog. Find a good kennel facility or pet sitter. Your dog will be happier that way.

There was a lady on my last cruise (Disney - eastern Caribbean) who had one of those tiny purse size dogs with her. I was extremely surprised when I saw the dogs head pop out of the purse at the adult pool. I mentioned this at dinner and I was told that the rumor was that the woman was a princess from a middle eastern country and because of some diplomatic reason was allowed her dog.

I am certain that was not the case. Her dog must be a therapy dog. If Disney allowed things like that, they would lose a lot of business fast.

Edited by maureencruiser

I am certain that was not the case. Her dog must be a therapy dog. If Disney allowed things like that, they would lose a lot of business fast.

no I bet her dog was CLAIMED to be a therapy dog.

and technically they ARE NOT COVERED as service animals under ADA. they must provide a valid MEDICAL service.. and yes there are small dogs that are trained to sniff out seizures or low blood sugar.

a therapy dog( comfort, eases anxiety, etc) are not service animals. but since no one is allowed to require proof, and even if you were there are places that let you print out certificates on the web for a nominal fee its a waste of time to argue the difference anyway.

no I bet her dog was CLAIMED to be a therapy dog.

and technically they ARE NOT COVERED as service animals under ADA. they must provide a valid MEDICAL service.. and yes there are small dogs that are trained to sniff out seizures or low blood sugar.

a therapy dog( comfort, eases anxiety, etc) are not service animals. but since no one is allowed to require proof, and even if you were there are places that let you print out certificates on the web for a nominal fee its a waste of time to argue the difference anyway.

Not quite. To be a service dog, the dog must perform a task directly related to the persons disability. That task can be anything from alerting to an impending seizure to opening a door to turning on a light, but it must perform a physical task. Therapy dogs do. To perform a task, they only provide companionship, therefore they do not qualify under the ADA as service dogs. That said, there is no accepted "certification" and any business may not ask what the disability is or what the task is, but may ask specifically if the dog performs a task directly related to the disability. If the answer is no, they may be turned away.

Thanks for the info! I'm sure my husband is feeling pretty smart right now! He promised to take our dog on a cruise with us for my birthday. I'm looking into Kensington tours! I'm thinking my dog will like Hawaii.

Good luck on taking your dog on vacation in Hawaii. Hawaii has no cases of rabies and to keep it that way, every dog brought onto the island is put in quaratine for a period of time to make sure they are not carrying rabies.

This is from an article regarding it:

Hawaii is the only state that has been fortunate enough to never have a single case of rabies. Because of this fact, the state of Hawaii goes to extra lengths to ensure that our beautiful islands stay safe and rabies-free. Any animal that passes through the Islands, even if Hawaii is just a stop on your travels, is subject to Animal Quarantine regulations.

Then why don't you?

You can cruise on the Queen Mary 2 and take your dog along where they can stay in the kennel. You visit your best friend every day on deck 12 where they are allowed outside to play.

When we win the lottery our fondest wish is to sail the World Cruise on the QM2 and bring our fluffy pal Binky along with us.

Jonathan

How does that work? I think if you bring a dog into UK, it must be quarantined for 6 months. Do you think they still do this for dogs flying in to take TA, or let them transfer from plane to ship?

How does that work? I think if you bring a dog into UK, it must be quarantined for 6 months. Do you think they still do this for dogs flying in to take TA, or let them transfer from plane to ship?

There is no provision for "in-transit" animals once they leave the airport, and quarantine rules apply. Even at the airport, specially licensed kennels must be used to water and walk the dogs between flights. The owner is not allowed to do so.

The posts about quarantine cause me to wonder about service dogs in this respect. Are there exceptions to quarantine rules? I do prefer a rabid dog or even dog droppings to not be confined to the boat...

There are no provisions for service dogs.

if you think you will be able to do any sort of trip to Hawai'i with a dog.. think again. the quarantine regs are EXTREMELY stringent and the number of hoops and expense that must happen is stupid high.

in other words you can forget about it unless you are moving there permanently and have 6 months to kill with Fido in Quarantine kennels. the only way to avoid that is to come directly from a rabies free country with zero stops or layovers in between.

I was thinking about the quarantine restrictions too as soon as the OP mentioned Hawaii.

While I loved my dog beyond belief (she's since passed), I would not have paid to take her on a ship! Sorry! It's just not the appropriate place for an animal! She would not have been happy at all.....used to having her yard, grass, squirrels, etc.....

We would leave our dog with my in-laws each time, but then we figured he would be much happier being able to run around and chase squirrels and possum and would feel way too confined onboard. Plus the water would probably disturb him. He has since gone up to the great yard in the sky and our in-laws are no longer around. I guess if we ever get another pet, we would just have to use a kennel. Else it's not fair to the animal. And there are (as well there should be) restrictions about taking non-service animals on board.

The posts about quarantine cause me to wonder about service dogs in this respect. Are there exceptions to quarantine rules? I do prefer a rabid dog or even dog droppings to not be confined to the boat...

nope although a real service dog will have the correct medical documentation to back up claims. that make sit a lot easier to get through the system

I'd love to take my 160 lb well behaved Great Dane. BUT, it probably wouldn't be a lot of fun for him, even on the QE.

Find a great kennel or home sitter. Do your homework and have a trial run. Then, go and enjoy yourself.

I use a well established kennel that I have used for years. I know the owner and manager well. He has a double wide kennel with a private run. He gets daily walks and play time. He gets to hang out in the office with the staff at down times. I bring his bed, toys and extra treats. He is safe and loved and I can have peace of mind. For me, I don't want someone living in my house while I am away.

And miss her when we cruise but I just can't see bringing her on a cruise. Too many other guests that might not appreciate her presance and she is far more comfortable at home with my daughter and her two dogs while we are away. I did bring a dog home from Europe where I was posted with the military. She did the TA with us on the QE2 but it was a chore. We took a ferry from La Harve(sp?) to Southampton. We had to stay on the ferry till everyone else was gone and the quaranteen truck came on to fetch her. Cost was just over 100 pounds for the night and this was in 1992. She was delivered to the ship the next day and put in their kennels. Got to see and play with her every day. The cost for her crossing was just over $400 US. We cruise for a month at a time now and I just can't see bringing her especially when we go ashore for tours and alike.