Is the fish, meat and poultry really frozen?

tripkat

I thought this was too funny, and then I read this:

There are some very creative people on this forum! :D :D :D

Funny stuff! This reminds me of the 'Things that can spoil your cruise vacation' thread started by drfun48. Read it for a great laugh(s)!!!

Ok everyone, I hear you all...lol. I guess I'd feel better if everything was brought on fresh and then frozen as needed....maybe that's what I meant.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

It is far, far better to freeze food as quickly/early as possible. That means as close to the source as possible. Unless the "fresh" food is produced next to the dock, delivering it fresh and then freezing on board would be much worse. Commercial freezers are going to be much better at freezing than anything that could be on board. Finally, there is a risk that food believed to be fresh had actually been frozen and defrosted before. Refreezing on board would be unsafe.

Sue

I have to agree with all, but fish, fish can be kept fresh at near freezing for a long time, much of the fresh fish, especially grouper, sea bass and other expensive fish coming from foreign countries, could be over 14 days old/on ice.

We are fish eaters, having been sport fishermen/women all our lives, and had access to fresh/frozen fish/lobster as much as we wanted. Some species just do not freeze well, or for long such as snapper (not much more than a month), we learned that the hard way, on the other hand Florida lobster(spiny lobster) can keep almost indefinitely, I still have some in my freezer almost 8 years old, does it taste good, well yes to others but a little freezer burned to me, but still more than edible.

Perhaps this is why we always have relatively poor fish dishes on the ships, even in specialty restaurants, it may have been frozen too long, especially for items not ordered by cruisers in large amounts like expensive halibut or Chilean Sea bass.

I'm not even gonna ask how they get the frogs legs.:p

:D:D:D

FrogRevenge.jpg

Seriously, to the OP

I'm pretty sure that " meat, fish, and poultry are brought on frozen and kept for up to 4 months before being thawed and cooked" may be the extreme and more likely most frozen meats etc are all pretty newly flash frozen.

But yes, it's true 99% of the time they are loaded frozen.

Edited by A Sixth?

I have to agree with all, but fish, fish can be kept fresh at near freezing for a long time, much of the fresh fish, especially grouper, sea bass and other expensive fish coming from foreign countries, could be over 14 days old/on ice.

We are fish eaters, having been sport fishermen/women all our lives, and had access to fresh/frozen fish/lobster as much as we wanted. Some species just do not freeze well, or for long such as snapper (not much more than a month), we learned that the hard way, on the other hand Florida lobster(spiny lobster) can keep almost indefinitely, I still have some in my freezer almost 8 years old, does it taste good, well yes to others but a little freezer burned to me, but still more than edible.

Perhaps this is why we always have relatively poor fish dishes on the ships, even in specialty restaurants, it may have been frozen too long, especially for items not ordered by cruisers in large amounts like expensive halibut or Chilean Sea bass.

What you say is probably true of home freezing, but much less so of properly-done commercial freezing. Commercial freezing is usually done IQF, meaning individually quick frozen, and then properly vacuum sealed, none of which is possible at home because it requires very expensive commercial equipment. Frozen fish and frozen everything else used on cruise ships and commercial settings on shore is normally at least as good, if not better than, never-been-frozen foods, the exception being the fairly rare case when the non-frozen food has been very carefully tended to since it was dressed, and that rarely happens in the real world.

Freezing has a bad name mostly because of folks experience with home freezing. On a commercial scale, it's a whole different world of quality.

There are a lot of popular misconceptions about frozen vs. fresh fish in general. For example, often one sees the statement that a certain sushi place uses only the finest and freshest fish and that's why it's so good. Actually, essentially ALL sushi is prepared from fish that has been frozen, by law, due to the need to eliminate parasites. That extremely expensive toro (tuna belly) arrives frozen hard as a brick to the central markets in Japan, coming off ships which caught it maybe weeks before. Did you ever see a documentary where they were pulling it off of the delivery trucks, and it bounces on the floor? Most fish, if eaten raw as in sushi, do not achieve the highest flavor profile until they have been out of the water for a time. Fresh is not always the best; that's a myth. That said, it can deteriorate quickly, and it's a fine line that needs to be walked.

Edited by jan-n-john

I do not believe what you were told on the tour.

I am fairly certain they have a lower deck filled largely with chicken coups. I once made the mistake of entering a crew-only door when I was heading for a lower deck and saw the chicken feathers blowing in the air.

I have also heard very late at night what I believe is moo-ing coming from somewhere deep in the hold, so they almost certainly have cattle aboard.

I don't know about the fish, but it would be easy enough to lay nets behind the ship, also probably late at night.

You forgot about the lobster traps they have hanging from the keel of the ship LOL

And I agree with Texed, I'd sail with the OP anytime! Most people would have been screaming by now about our nonsense. You're clearly good people OP!

Edited by ariawoman

I just read a review for the Constellation and the reviewer said that they learned from a kitchen tour that meat, fish, and poultry are brought on frozen and kept for up to 4 months before being thawed and cooked. Could this be true? I don't expect a premier line to use frozen food products but am I just being naive?

Celebrity is a mass market line, not a premier line. Maybe a cut above other mass market lines (Royal, Carnival, Princess, Norwegian), but still not a premier line. (Crystal, Regent, Oceania)

Celebrity is a mass market line, not a premier line. Maybe a cut above other mass market lines (Royal, Carnival, Princess, Norwegian), but still not a premier line. (Crystal, Regent, Oceania)

You are essentially correct. The Celebrity S class are 5.5 stars, the M class are 5 stars and the Century is 4.5 stars. Most of the others are in the 40-4.5 star range, Crystal and Regent are 6 stars, while I would imgagine that Oceania is probably about 5.3/4 strs.

You forgot about the lobster traps they have hanging from the keel of the ship LOL

And I agree with Texed, I'd sail with the OP anytime! Most people would have been screaming by now about our nonsense. You're clearly good people OP!

Definately agree.:D

I just laughed so hard at some of these posts my stomach hurts!!!:D Thanks OP for being such a good sport!!! LuAnn

There has been some funny stuff posted on this thread...starting with my original post. What was I thinking?? Have to be good sport...got what was coming to me :)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

OP fantastic sport and I laughed so hard that my coffee hit the computer and I had to change my clothes for work.

I just love it all!!!:D:D:D

Drinking problem?:eek: welcome to the club, sometimes I end up laughing so hard colleagues ask if anything is wrong.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Early on, on the Solstice, they did try the whole fresh garden thing. The only problem was that due to "The Motion in the Ocean" the tomatos refused to ripen and just stayed "Green":D

Edited by Hypo

Your description of the snails onboard will have me laughing for days! Thx, I can't wait to have them for dinner…..if I can stop laughing.

No Escargot on the Solstice for the 30 days of Transpacific. They offered Mushrooms stuffed with crab instead.:D

I just read a review for the Constellation and the reviewer said that they learned from a kitchen tour that meat, fish, and poultry are brought on frozen and kept for up to 4 months before being thawed and cooked. Could this be true? I don't expect a premier line to use frozen food products but am I just being naive?

Yes but that's OK. :D

Edited by SPacificbound