NCL'er going to CCL a few questions.

cocheese

I have only sailed NCL in the past. We are going to be sailing on the Victory the first of the year. I have been completely satisfied with my cruises on NCL(all of them have been on the Sky) but decided to try CCL for something different, and the price was Fantastic!

I am thinking that they will be more similar than different. But what are some of the differences that will be experienced? I have chosen the anytime dining so I don't have a total shock to my system. :D How formal is formal night? One of the reasons we have always sailed NCL is the laid back atmosphere and not having to dress up too much. Usually a Golf shirt and khakis is what I wear to dinner. Is this ok?

We will be taking our 4 children. Is the kids club comparable to NCL? They have always had a great time there.

Thanks for any information.

I think kids club is better on Carnival.

As far as dressing on Carnival. You will get many different responses. I have always worn shorts and Tshirt on regular nights. For formal nights I wear slacks/khakis and a golf shirt/polo. I always fit it and never feel under dressed. I always see others dressed the same way. I have even worn nice jeans on formal night and felt fine. There are others that are more dressed but I always feel fine.

People don't take formal nights too seriously on Carnival. Khakis and a polos are fine in the dining rooms on formal night. Some people are still seated wearing t-shirts and jeans. Carnival themselves seem pretty relaxed about it as well.

I don't really have any input for the kids stuff, but if they're younger, I always see good reviews or mentioning of Camp Carnival. The kids club rooms look pretty decent on ships that I've seen.

Edited by seannyice81

Thanks for the great replies. I feel a lot more comfortable about dining now.

No washy washy! How am I going to get happy happy? :) Do they have the self serve Purell machines by the buffet?

I've seen hand sanitizer machines at the buffet, but they were either empty or not working.

Thanks for the great replies. I feel a lot more comfortable about dining now.

No washy washy! How am I going to get happy happy? :) Do they have the self serve Purell machines by the buffet?

Maybe you should bring some with you and sing the song as you are walking in. :) Make someone else Happy.

I think you will be pleased on Carnival. I didn't see many differences between NCL and CCL. It has been years since my daughter did kids clubs but she loved them on Carnival and I continue to see good reviews on them.

My boys love the CCL kids club, they were not thrilled with NCL's reason being. On NCL they were told once checked in they have to stay 2 hours before they can check themselves out. Some times they like 1 activity and not the next or only want to go for an hour, this you can do on CCL.

As far as dress goes. My kids wear khaki's and a polo for formal night sometimes, on New Years Eve we usually dress a little nicer. Jeans or dress shorts regular nights. You can dress up but it's up to you.

Dinning does take forever on Ncl im normally in and out in 45 minutes average.. CCL takes close to 1.5 hours plus you sit a big table with whoever they put at your table.. inless you do anytime dinning..

He's already stated that they have chosen ATD.

OP.....I think the ATD option will be a good one coming from NCL. I also agree with you that will likely find more things similar than different.

Entertainment may be something that you see as "different". I've only cruised the NCL's Epic and Breakaway - so I can't compare the Sky for you. But Carnival's production shows may be something you find different.

People don't take formal nights too seriously on Carnival. Khakis and a polos are fine in the dining rooms on formal night. Some people are still seated wearing t-shirts and jeans. Carnival themselves seem pretty relaxed about it as well.

I don't really have any input for the kids stuff, but if they're younger, I always see good reviews or mentioning of Camp Carnival. The kids club rooms look pretty decent on ships that I've seen.

True - they don't even refer to them as "formal" any more.

Elegant nights - as they have become - are really similar to the "dress up if you want" nights on NCL. Shorts and t-shirts are not supposed to be in the dining room but long pants and polos or collared shirts are just fine. Rarely do I see anything dressier that a sports jacket - pretty much gone are the suits with ties and I can't remember the last time I saw a tux!

Edited by happy cruzin

I am thinking that they will be more similar than different.

Yes, your thoughts are correct

But what are some of the differences that will be experienced?

Different logo

How formal is formal night? Usually a Golf shirt and khakis is what I wear to dinner. Is this ok?

yes, and if you want to wear sweat pants and a t shirt, you can always eat at the buffet or do room service

We will be taking our 4 children. Is the kids club comparable to NCL?

No, it's better. I am in no way loyal to Carnival, but their kids club is one of the best in the industry, the primary reason we return. Your kids will really enjoy it.

Have fun :)

Edited by Lerin

Unlike NCL ships, CCL pools are not heated and equally crowded on sea days, and you will run into the familiar lounger/chair hogs - but the hot tubs are nice & warm.

MDR on CCL are even more relaxed for dinner, neat shorts are acceptable except for 1 or 2 "elegant nights" where some do dress it up - tux & 2 pc suit are optional. Golf shirt and khakis for all evenings - or up a notch, collared dress shirt & tie, navy blazer is always safe. Choice of speciality dining is "limited" - just the steakhouse, reservations usually necessary if not required @ $35 p/p.

Lobster tail & tiger shrimp served in MDR tasted freshier and better than on NCL - choices of entrees scaled back these days for budget reasons so very similar with NCL, CCL and even RCI. Choice of starter items are as good as NCL, we felt it's better than NCL & in slightly larger portions, and yes, order as many as you like. Overall, it's equally laid back just like NCL - even for its optional formal (elegant) night.

In a hurry to catch a show, tell your ATD team and they can adjust the pace. For breakfast & lunch, we find NCL to be better with more variety & choices - you might want to go to the MDR & try it, open seating & there should be enough table for 4 if you don't want to share by being seated at a larger table with strangers - especially when traveling with children.

Purell dispenser is bypassed by most guest - :eek: - and you have to do it quick to avoid holding up the line with guest behind you, although ATD should be fine while waiting to be seated.

Pleasant surprise is that you should your stateroom "roomier" with more space for 4 people to share plus lots of storage/closet space.

Room service menu is fine but no soup and breakfast is similar - and kids should see towel animals on a regular basis. Enjoy the cruise.

The dining issue is already covered. I'll chime in on the kids club.

I found that Camp Carnival was much better than our experience with NCL's kids club. Not that NCL was bad, but my kid watched a lot of movies at NCL.

Camp Carnival actually has a decent schedule of activities and it is all laid out on paper so you can plan ahead. My son really enjoyed Camp Carnival, but it is not to say he didn't enjoy NCL's Kids Club either.

It is just the same dance, but a different tune.

Somebody mentioned a steakhouse.

Just a heads up, the Victory does not have the steakhouse. Unfortunately, this ship has few choices for dining.

OP, I was actually looking at the Sky for a Bahamas cruise next spring, but decided on Victory because of price and increasing my return customer level. It looked like a very nice ship/itinerary, so I'm very interested in what you have to say about your Victory trip when you return.

Somebody mentioned a steakhouse.

Just a heads up, the Victory does not have the steakhouse. Unfortunately, this ship has few choices for dining.

OP, I was actually looking at the Sky for a Bahamas cruise next spring, but decided on Victory because of price and increasing my return customer level. It looked like a very nice ship/itinerary, so I'm very interested in what you have to say about your Victory trip when you return.

I will let you know how it was compared to the Sky. We had a suite on our last cruise, but that was a first. I sure am going to miss our butler setting up a afternoon snack after shore excursions. We have the Aft wrap balcony for this cruise, and it looks fantastic!

NCL sure knows how to do suites. We had one on the Pearl. I have zero problem with NCL. But I prefer Carnival. Haven't been in a Carnival suite, am told it doesn't compare. Carnival has a comedy club on some (all?) ships. And they drop off and pick up comedians at different ports. It works so much better than the typical 1 comedian with a couple of shows on a cruise. I also think the food is better on Carnival. Yeah, I know, "food taste is subjective." But it's easy to compare steaks and other similar main dishes straight up.

You'll enjoy it.