I hope your M-class bathroom doesn't look like this

Turtles06

My spouse and I have recently returned from the Infinity westbound TA (Harwich to Miami). We had a very enjoyable crossing, met lots of wonderful folks, and can't say enough good things about the staff and crew. Just about everyone went out of his or her way to ensure that people were having a great time. Our servers in the MDR, our sommelier, and our stateroom attendants could not have been better. We enjoyed many of the guest performers and lecturers. We had Halloween and a solar eclipse. And you can't beat seven consecutive sea days! (Except with eight. :))

I must say, though, that having taken our first Celebrity cruise aboard the Eclipse, which I think is a stunning ship, I was a bit apprehensive about sailing on the Infinity, particularly given some of the posts on here stating that the M-class ships are getting a little tired. Overall, however, I thought the Infinity was in good condition (although I think the physical design of the buffet is awful), but I have to make a big exception for our stateroom bathroom.

There are a few places on a ship that absolutely must be fresh, clean and pristine. The galley is one, and bathrooms are another. Unfortunately, the bathroom floor in our cabin was in very bad shape. The grout had visible mildew in the shower (gross!), and there were years of ground-in dirt on the tiles and in the grout on the bathroom floor. There was a rust hole on the outside of the shower (where caulk was missing) through which water mysteriously flowed into the bathroom every now and then, even when the shower wasn't being used.

I can't speak to the condition of any other cabins, but the grout in this bathroom has exceeded its useful life, and desperately needs to be replaced, and the tiles need to be sanded clean. I did report the condition of our bathroom to Guest Relations, and some days later, someone ran a bead of caulk over some of the mildew, the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig. I realize that was about all they could do while the ship is in use, but Celebrity really needs to address these maintenance issues (and I so noted on our comment card). We did not let this spoil our trip, but it was off-putting (and hardly the "modern luxury" that Celebrity advertises).

InfinityShowerTile_zps48fdce5f.jpg

InfinityShowerTile2_zpsc3cfdc4d.jpg

InfinityBathroomFloor_zps305d8a3b.jpg

Wow that looks like mold to me! I would have gone to the guest relations desk to make sure that was immediately removed. All they need to do is spray bleach on the tiles and let it sit for an hour and then wash off the mold.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Just off the Connie the end of June in an AQ deck 9 cabin.

Lovely cruise, Blu was great and the common areas of the ship overall were looking very good but the cabin not so much.

I don't have any photos but the bathroom wasn't looking good. Everything was operational but the mirror was oxidized around the edges and the floor had seen better days. Disappointing as I thought the bathrooms (and the cabins) would have been refreshed when they AQ'd them but it appears they just added the shower door and shower panel. In the bedroom, furniture was chipped and worn. Nothing that interfered with use or comfort but disappointing nonetheless.

Biggest issue is that this was an Arctic Circle cruise so we had 24 hours of daylight some days and no black out curtains. Sleeping more than a few hours at a time was difficult. Granted, this is something that would not be an issue on the majority of the Connie's itineraries but still...you would think modern luxury would include appropriate amenities in the cabin for the itinerary X scheduled.

We were on that cruise, in a balcony cabin. There were blackout curtains that were very effective.

Well the thread is from 2013.

Yes, and the problems still exist on the M Class ships, especially Summit. There were a lot of plumbing problems on Summit when we sailed in May. Problems with flushing toilets, leaky showers, etc. One our friends we were sailing with had to have their toilet replaced and shower fixed during the cruise. At first Guest Relations was trying to tell her and her husband they didn't know how to flush the toilet (or they were doing it wrong?) - whatever - they have been on numerous cruises - they are Elite+ so that was not the problem. Finally they admitted that there was a problem and had to replace the toilet.

If Celebrity continues on this downward spiral we will have to look at other cruise lines. We don't want to, but they need to take care of their ships.

Yikes the cabin smelled too? We kept the bathroom door shut and that contained the stench, thankfully. We weren't met with "so what" but they also didn't do much to resolve it. It was for several cabins along my hallway in that area, so it was believed to be a line problem, not just our cabin.

Were you forward/starboard side on deck 7? Just wondering if it's a certain side of the ship now as i was on the slant forward near the fwd elevator bank.

OMG, were in 7100 and 7102 on the Summit in Sept? Do you think Im in the line of smelly cabins?

My husband and I booked a suite on Infinity for fall 2015 to celebrate our 25th. anniversary. I thought Infinity was having a dry dock fall 2014. I was mistaken, looks like we will be rethinking taking this cruise on Infinity.

Yes, and the problems still exist on the M Class ships, especially Summit. There were a lot of plumbing problems on Summit when we sailed in May. Problems with flushing toilets, leaky showers, etc. One our friends we were sailing with had to have their toilet replaced and shower fixed during the cruise. At first Guest Relations was trying to tell her and her husband they didn't know how to flush the toilet (or they were doing it wrong?) - whatever - they have been on numerous cruises - they are Elite+ so that was not the problem. Finally they admitted that there was a problem and had to replace the toilet.

If Celebrity continues on this downward spiral we will have to look at other cruise lines. We don't want to, but they need to take care of their ships.

There is a couple on one of the Celebrity closed FB pages I am on, ( we have over 2500 members ) that just returned from their first Celebrity cruise on the Summit. They have sailed 5 diff lines, the wife did not want to cruise anymore. The husband talked her into trying Celebrity. He just posted a long review about how they have a renewed desire to cruise after one of the best sailings they have ever experienced, and are so glad they found Celebrity, and the Summit. They booked another during the cruise.

Edited by wallie5446

I am not arguing that you are wrong by asking this question, but how did you know there were 'a lot' of plumbing problems? Obviously your friends had problems, and as experienced cruisers certainly their ability to flush a Celebrity toilet should not have been questioned:). Were others on your Roll Call complaining, or did you hear other passengers complaining? I am sailing on Summit this fall so I am interested to hear the specifics. Two years ago I sailed Summit and did not have the best experience (which I can honestly say is not the usual on Celebrity). I heard from a senior staff member since then that they replaced several management level staff on that ship due to complaints. Since then I read on these boards that things were much turned around. Fortunately for us, we booked one of the new AQ's but am interested in what is going on.

We've cruised Millennium class ships ten times and I have noticed this problem in about 50% of our cabins. I think the original tile work is very susceptible to mold and mildew.

In fact, we had one cabin where water would ooze up through the cracks in the bathroom tile every time you walked around the sink area. Gross, but not the end of the world.

I'm surprised that Celebrity didn't do a complete re-fit of all the tile work in the bathrooms during the Solistized upgrades of the Millennium Class ships. I think that tile/grout designs look great when they a new, but they don't age well. There are some great upscale and attractive non-grout shower/floor/counter options out there.

This can be fixed, but it will be expensive.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I am not arguing that you are wrong by asking this question, but how did you know there were 'a lot' of plumbing problems? Obviously your friends had problems, and as experienced cruisers certainly their ability to flush a Celebrity toilet should not have been questioned:). Were others on your Roll Call complaining, or did you hear other passengers complaining? I am sailing on Summit this fall so I am interested to hear the specifics. Two years ago I sailed Summit and did not have the best experience (which I can honestly say is not the usual on Celebrity). I heard from a senior staff member since then that they replaced several management level staff on that ship due to complaints. Since then I read on these boards that things were much turned around. Fortunately for us, we booked one of the new AQ's but am interested in what is going on.

Okay, maybe I should not have said a lot, but there were more than one thing we heard and/or experienced.

We also had problems with our toilet (second Summit cruise in a row we had a problem with toilet not flushing and staterooms were on totally different decks each cruise). We also had a leak in our bathroom this cruise. Others that we talked to at the elite lounge said there were problems with leaks on deck 9 forward - wet and smelling carpets in the hallway, they had those big fans out to try and dry them and also on deck 11 we heard there were problems.

Those were the ones we heard of, I would have to assume there were more, since we did not talk to everyone on the ship or maybe we were just lucky to hear about all the plumbing problems.

But you are correct I should not have said there were a lot. Just maybe said a few. As I do not know the exact number.

Is there a certain cabin or row of cabins with issues on deck 11 of summit? I am asking for purely selfish reasons. Lol

I only heard and did not experience first hand, that there were a problem with the new cabins they put on deck 11 aft. Not sure what the exact problem was.

Hoping they have fixed all these problems. Maybe it was just our cruise. Who knows.

We've cruised Millennium class ships ten times and I have noticed this problem in about 50% of our cabins. I think the original tile work is very susceptible to mold and mildew.

In fact, we had one cabin where water would ooze up through the cracks in the bathroom tile every time you walked around the sink area. Gross, but not the end of the world.

I'm surprised that Celebrity didn't do a complete re-fit of all the tile work in the bathrooms during the Solistized upgrades of the Millennium Class ships. I think that tile/grout designs look great when they a new, but they don't age well. There are some great upscale and attractive non-grout shower/floor/counter options out there.

This can be fixed, but it will be expensive.

Enjoy!

One thing I have noticed is that the exhaust systems in the S class cabins are exponentially better than those of the M class. I can take a shower in S class and within minutes the mirror is clear and the room is humid, but not oppressively so. On M class, it takes a very long time to get that same result. I suspect that is one of the main problems on M class. A re-fit to some type of seam free covering would probably help a lot, although often those do not look as nice even when they are new. But it beats mold that's for sure.

I also think the M class toilets are more susceptible to flushing issues, and IMHO always have been. That said unfortunately, regardless of the ship in question, a lot (perhaps the majority) of the flushing issues are due to people not following the rules about what should be flushed and not. Not going to get too graphic here for obvious reasons, but if everyone kept their only non-human produced flushing to toilet paper alone the vast majority of the plumbing issues would be eliminated. I'm sure some problems are due to aging, but many could be prevented if people would follow the rules on that topic and use common sense.

Hello,

While we do monitor these forums, reviving a post from 2013 doesn't really tell the full story of the current status. If this is still an issue, we can investigate.

Thanks for your post and for monitoring these forums.

As the OP, my suggestion would be that you call or email the ship and have someone check the bathroom in 8166 and send you some photos. Short of re-grouting, it's hard to imagine how this is not still an issue in that cabin, and since the Infinity has been in constant use since these photos were taken (which was not even a year ago), it's hard to imagine how a re-grouting could have taken place.

Thank you.

I think passengers should be given an informed choice before they book a specific ship for a specific cruise. For example, on some port intensive itineraries an indoor cabin is fine for me...on longer tropical cruises I may prefer a suite. But before I book I can see from the website how many square feet each cabin is, whether it has a balcony, etc. Then I decide what's important to me and how I want to spend my money.

Maybe Celebrity should do the same when describing and pricing older vs. newer ships. For instance if I'm OK with rust and mold in my bathroom on a 20-year-old ship, X would advertise that and price the cabin accordingly. However if I want a mold-free, sparkling clean cabin on a newer ship, then I would pay more. Much like choosing between a campsite in a state park vs. a suite in a luxury hotel. I'm well aware of the difference in amenities, and I can set my expectations according to my budget...but don't charge the same for both and let me be surprised when I get there!

Cabin bathrooms on Millie and Constellation were spotless and in working order. Cabin maintenance has not been a problem.

Other problems exist.

We have no current Celebrity bookings.

jls

Edited by JLSPOOL

Hope all is good on Connie...we booked a short crise in AQ....Have not been on her for many yrs...she was beautiful back then and still seems to receive good reviews.

We had three great cruises on Summit over the yrs to Hawaii and the Carib.....but our Bermuda cruise (pre-solsticizing)a few yrs ago was very disappointing in terms of cabin and social areas...even though we had nice curtains and bedspreads, the matress was literally falling apart, bathroom moldy..esp shower curtain . Many of the dining rm chairs, common area chairs and sofas and deck loungers also ready for the trash heap....

interestingly cruisers from other lines were favorably impressed while. we were so sad to see the ship so run down

I know the recent refurb on M class has included many new upgrades but sounds like not everything is new....to say the least.....

I think passengers should be given an informed choice before they book a specific ship for a specific cruise. For example, on some port intensive itineraries an indoor cabin is fine for me...on longer tropical cruises I may prefer a suite. But before I book I can see from the website how many square feet each cabin is, whether it has a balcony, etc. Then I decide what's important to me and how I want to spend my money.

Maybe Celebrity should do the same when describing and pricing older vs. newer ships. For instance if I'm OK with rust and mold in my bathroom on a 20-year-old ship, X would advertise that and price the cabin accordingly. However if I want a mold-free, sparkling clean cabin on a newer ship, then I would pay more. Much like choosing between a campsite in a state park vs. a suite in a luxury hotel. I'm well aware of the difference in amenities, and I can set my expectations according to my budget...but don't charge the same for both and let me be surprised when I get there!

At the end of the day it really boils down to supply and demand plain and simple. For example, we are looking for a cruise in the Caribbean this October out of the mainland US somewhere. Would have definitely picked Celebrity as our first choice but there was only one cruise available and the prices were significantly higher than other comparable options, including Royal Caribbean. So even though the ship is older, it is obviously booking up so well they are able to charge a lot more. On the one hand I agree in truth in advertising, but realistically what could we expect them to say? The ship's are older so they may be a little more run down? The bathrooms are not as modern so they are not as nice as those on S class?

IMHO the room should always be 'sparkling clean' regardless of the age of the ship. I suspect the situation shown in the original posting was more a matter of accumulation of aging over time, as opposed to bad cleaning or to mold. The bathrooms are regularly cleaned with bleach so I think any true mold problem would have been taken care of. That is no excuse for having a room in that condition - when they show that much staining it is way past time to update the room.

...Maybe Celebrity should do the same when describing and pricing older vs. newer ships. For instance if I'm OK with rust and mold in my bathroom on a 20-year-old ship, X would advertise that and price the cabin accordingly...

I like it! I can see the add copy now:

Seven night Caribbean cruises from $999 (from $1,599 for rust and mold free bathrooms).

I want to follow up on my earlier post -- even though I think this mold/mildew problem is on-going and there is a good chance your Millennium Class cabin may be effected, I still prefer Celebrity to all other cruise lines in this price range.

The problem is more aesthetic and probably possess very little health risk. I've not noticed any problems with the S-class ships and we will continue to cruise both classes of ships. In fact, we have four Celebrity cruises booked in the next year or so.

Enjoy!

My spouse and I have recently returned from the Infinity westbound TA (Harwich to Miami). We had a very enjoyable crossing, met lots of wonderful folks, and can't say enough good things about the staff and crew. Just about everyone went out of his or her way to ensure that people were having a great time. Our servers in the MDR, our sommelier, and our stateroom attendants could not have been better. We enjoyed many of the guest performers and lecturers. We had Halloween and a solar eclipse. And you can't beat seven consecutive sea days! (Except with eight. :))

I must say, though, that having taken our first Celebrity cruise aboard the Eclipse, which I think is a stunning ship, I was a bit apprehensive about sailing on the Infinity, particularly given some of the posts on here stating that the M-class ships are getting a little tired. Overall, however, I thought the Infinity was in good condition (although I think the physical design of the buffet is awful), but I have to make a big exception for our stateroom bathroom.

There are a few places on a ship that absolutely must be fresh, clean and pristine. The galley is one, and bathrooms are another. Unfortunately, the bathroom floor in our cabin was in very bad shape. The grout had visible mildew in the shower (gross!), and there were years of ground-in dirt on the tiles and in the grout on the bathroom floor. There was a rust hole on the outside of the shower (where caulk was missing) through which water mysteriously flowed into the bathroom every now and then, even when the shower wasn't being used.

I can't speak to the condition of any other cabins, but the grout in this bathroom has exceeded its useful life, and desperately needs to be replaced, and the tiles need to be sanded clean. I did report the condition of our bathroom to Guest Relations, and some days later, someone ran a bead of caulk over some of the mildew, the equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig. I realize that was about all they could do while the ship is in use, but Celebrity really needs to address these maintenance issues (and I so noted on our comment card). We did not let this spoil our trip, but it was off-putting (and hardly the "modern luxury" that Celebrity advertises).

InfinityShowerTile_zps48fdce5f.jpg

InfinityShowerTile2_zpsc3cfdc4d.jpg

InfinityBathroomFloor_zps305d8a3b.jpg

Ew! A bit of bleach sprayed on this would have done the trick!

Hello,

While we do monitor these forums, reviving a post from 2013 doesn't really tell the full story of the current status. If this is still an issue, we can investigate.

Ok, what's the full story of the current status? Are the infinity bathrooms mold free?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app