I hope your M-class bathroom doesn't look like this

Turtles06

How do you fix it before the next dry dock? Don't make it available for booking next cruise and close it for repairs. If repairs are done in 2 days then you have a good cabin to move someone to if they complain about their current one. Gradually they will all get fixed.

That sounds like a great idea, X could call it a "Rolling Refurb" and use it as a marketing gimmick, it would also reduce the need to offer so many cheap late availability prices if they held back 10 to 20 cabins each cruise until all cabins had been spruced up.:cool:

If the dirt is embedded in the grout or chemically resistant to oxidation by bleach, then bleach may not clean or whiten the grout. I just got finished cleaning the grout on my kitchen floor using a product called Zep from Home Depot, but I'm sure there are other similar products around. This stuff contains hydrochloric acid and actually dissolves a microscopic layer of grout, releasing the dirt. Worked great and the grout looks like new! I don't know if something like this would be more difficult on a ship to work with than bleach.

In any case, don't mix bleach with anything acidic, like vinegar or HCl-containing grout cleaner. Chlorine gas will be produced!

We have 29 credits on Celebrity, and have been on the Zenith, Horizon, Century, Galaxy, Mercury, Infinity, Millenium, Constellation, Summit, and Eclipse.

I don't inspect the ships I am on. I have no idea what the color of the carpet was in any of our cabins or if there was any mildew in the bathroom. I don't know if the railings needed varnish. I don't know if there were stains in the Centrum. And don't care.

I am a life long camper and Vietnam vet and have used outhouses, the woods, and holes in the ground. Didn't even have grout ;).

As long as the ship passes the appropriate government inspections, it is good enough for me. It is a ship that sails almost every day of the year with thousands of passengers-not an operating room.

I am too busy enjoying cruising to sweat the small stuff.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Some have to get monthly allergy shots due to allergic reactions to mold. I'm sure they would want / NEED a mold free shower

We have 29 credits on Celebrity, and have been on the Zenith, Horizon, Century, Galaxy, Mercury, Infinity, Millenium, Constellation, Summit, and Eclipse.

I don't inspect the ships I am on. I have no idea what the color of the carpet was in any of our cabins or if there was any mildew in the bathroom. I don't know if the railings needed varnish. I don't know if there were stains in the Centrum. And don't care.

I am a life long camper and Vietnam vet and have used outhouses, the woods, and holes in the ground. Didn't even have grout ;).

As long as the ship passes the appropriate government inspections, it is good enough for me. It is a ship that sails almost every day of the year with thousands of passengers-not an operating room.

I am too busy enjoying cruising to sweat the small stuff.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

This from a man who has made a number of complaints recently on this board about the music being too loud in some venues aboard. I guess we all have varying opinions as to what constitutes "small stuff". :)

Edited by Fouremco

I don't blame our stateroom attendant at all (he worked incredibly hard and cleaned very day, more than once). The problem was years in the making, and probably inevitable on a ship. Mildew grows in grout when it's wet, and a shipboard environment is pretty conducive to this. At a certain point (which likely long-preceded our attendant's contract), the mildew took hold in the grout; at that point, no cleaning would remove it. The fault is Celebrity's.

WOW we were on Celebrity three times last year and on the Infinity. Never have seen anything like this. My first reaction would have been get to the hotel manager ASAP. A quick photo presented to him would surely have gotten some action.

On first inspection, I'd call Housekeeping & visit Guest Relations to make an urgent request for the chief housekeeper to visit the cabin either to determine immediate action (cleaning or move me to another cabin) or to acknowledge an unacceptable condition.

Dealing only with the cabin steward or waiting until the end of a cruise to take care of a problem is not a choice for our vacations.

-Marisa

On our Summit cruise last January we had a suite attached to the penthouse that was full of mold and midlew. Even after they "scrubbed" it was horrible. Thankfully I had an extra toothbrush and tackled it myself eventually. It was by no means difficult to remove the black and pink stains. It was not acceptable. It should never be acceptable. It is truly disgusting. When the Director of Client Relations came to visit we were immediately invited for drinks and offered a $500 voucher towards our next cruise. Still had to clean the grout myself which I am still baffled about. Let's hope our luck on Reflection in January is much different. (Still bringing an extra toothbrush with me and this time a clorox bleach pen, whic EVERY STEWARD should have!)

On first inspection, I'd call Housekeeping & visit Guest Relations to make an urgent request for the chief housekeeper to visit the cabin either to determine immediate action (cleaning or move me to another cabin) or to acknowledge an unacceptable condition.

Dealing only with the cabin steward or waiting until the end of a cruise to take care of a problem is not a choice for our vacations.

-Marisa

Fine!

What would you do if all the bathrooms were in the same condition? That's a distinct possibility on a ship that age.

Turtles06,

I don't plan to book the Summit based on these photos.

When mold is visible in the shower it's usually hiding elsewhere.

I have a mold allergy. Thank you for the alert.

IMHO, Celebrity shows a low standard in neglecting maintenance of cabin showers on Summit.

jls

Keep plugging that unverified Mold allegation long enough and maybe people will believe it.

All you who are so phobic to any hint of dirt on the ship, do yourself and everyone else a favor and sail only on Norwegian Breakaway. It's a brand new ship, so nothing has had a chance to get the least little bit dirty. And the "washy washy happy happy" girls will keep you nicely sanitized on every trip into the buffet.

Keep plugging that unverified Mold allegation long enough and maybe people will believe it.

All you who are so phobic to any hint of dirt on the ship, do yourself and everyone else a favor and sail only on Norwegian Breakaway. It's a brand new ship, so nothing has had a chance to get the least little bit dirty. And the "washy washy happy happy" girls will keep you nicely sanitized on every trip into the buffet.

I guess there are some people who appreciate a clean bathroom shower floor and some people who don't care. Just because you don't mind mildew under your bare feet in the shower doesn't mean you need to attack the personal views of others.

I'm certainly not a germophobic in that regard. I walk around in bare feet a lot, especially on a cruise with beach stops. But someone mildew in a bathroom is just a complete turnoff for me. I guess that's because a dirty bathroom just screams of inadequate cleaning and maintenance.

Edited by Crazy Cruzer

Fine!

What would you do if all the bathrooms were in the same condition? That's a distinct possibility on a ship that age.

If all the bathrooms were in the conditions noted in this thread on the Infinity and the Summit, the Head Housekeeper would be responsible for the showers being unacceptable. That HH should be fired! If the showers are also condoned by the Hotel Director that is a reflection on Celebrity and needs to be fully publicized.

I choose the cruise based on standards of cleanliness. When I cruise, I expect a high standard of cleanliness on the Celebrity ships.

Yes, roughing it comes with expectations. I don't cruise on Celebrity ships to "rough it" barefoot in a shower used by many passengers before me.

The photos of the Infinity shower are disgusting. Certainly not worthy of my cruise dollars. If it were a land based hotel, I'd leave.

These boards are for information and opinions. I appreciate the information and have expressed my own opinion about the mildew -- disgusting and not up to standard even at an old worn out place along a US Interstate highway.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

How do u all know for a fact it is mold & mildew. Did u ever see dark stains that look like mold? Seems like your all ignoring some Knowledgeable post by contractors and people in the know on this thread.

You might want to go back and read what has actually been written to date. FWIW, I believe that the only identified contractor was the author of post # 24 and he expressed no doubt about mold being the problem.

How do u all know for a fact it is mold & mildew. Did u ever see dark stains that look like mold? Seems like your all ignoring some Knowledgeable post by contractors and people in the know on this thread.

I suppose it is possible that it is not mold or mildew. However, it really doesn't matter what it is. A shower on a cruise ship with the type of reputation Celebrity strives for should not have stains of this nature at all. They need to be cleaned up. When we've had these and complained properly they've been taken care of with some cleaning solvents and a little work. No one should have to ask or make complaints in order to get a clean shower.

Edited by Lsimon

No one knows if this is live mold or if there was mold there previously and now there's just the stain left. But to me, the point is that someone getting into that shower doesn't know. It's the appearance that is disappointing and I think unacceptable. I've been at resorts that are in tropical areas, more than 20 years old, and have never seen a shower like that. Management just doesn't let it get like that or fixes it right away. You don't want people paying good money to ever wonder if the shower is moldy or just stained.

(Still bringing an extra toothbrush with me and this time a clorox bleach pen, whic EVERY STEWARD should have!)

Clorox bleach pens are amazing when cleaning grout!:D

In my experience, you're not going to get "bleach resistant" stains unless you've let a mold/mildew problem get completely out of hand before addressing it.

I'm confused by some of the "get over it, you're on vacation" posts. :confused: Is it wrong for the OP to expect that the showers onboard would be cleaned frequently enough that nothing would be permitted to grow in the grout long enough to leave a terrible stain?

I have seen discoloured grout occasionally (have sailed on the Infinity & Millie) but the floors were kept very clean and sanitary There is a huge difference between that and a "disgusting, filthy, mouldy" floor. It would be nice to do as was suggested, regrout a couple of cabins each sailing but in the meantime I'm happy with clean:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turtles06,

I don't plan to book the Summit based on these photos.

When mold is visible in the shower it's usually hiding elsewhere.

I have a mold allergy. Thank you for the alert.

IMHO, Celebrity shows a low standard in neglecting maintenance of cabin showers on Summit.

jls

The photos are from the Infinity, not the Summit so you might reconsider which ship you won't book, unless this thread has convinced you not to cruise on Celebrity overall.

If that's true, then I'd suggest you read other Line forums.

My anecdotal experience is, I had a similar shower. I pointed it out to the steward and they cleaned it but it still had some staining. That wasn't on the Infinity, or any Celebrity ship, but on the Island Princess.

Was on the Infinity a while ago and She was very well maintained. That does not mean the OP's issue is negated or questioned, just another observation.

I'll be sailing Her in August and looking forward to it.

Den

The photos are from the Infinity, not the Summit so you might reconsider which ship you won't book, unless this thread has convinced you not to cruise on Celebrity overall.

If that's true, then I'd suggest you read other Line forums.

My anecdotal experience is, I had a similar shower. I pointed it out to the steward and they cleaned it but it still had some staining. That wasn't on the Infinity, or any Celebrity ship, but on the Island Princess.

Was on the Infinity a while ago and She was very well maintained. That does not mean the OP's issue is negated or questioned, just another observation.

I'll be sailing Her in August and looking forward to it.

Den

The OP and photos are based on Infinity. If you read through the thread you'll see many references to the same on the Summit. We considered a Summit cruise, not Infinity.

M-Class maintenance is now suspicious in general given the distasteful photographs. It should be embarrassing to the cruise line to expect a paying guest use showers with such neglect. jls

I have mixed feelings about this issue. On the one hand, I think when paying for a line like Celebrity one has every right to expect the ship to be clean, and most especially an area where one makes skin contact with the surface. If it is mold, then it is definitely an issue for those like myself who have allergies to mold.

At the same time, I can personally relate to issues in keeping grout sparkling clean. We have a small interior bathroom (ie, no windows) off our master bedroom (40 yr old house). We are meticulous in our cleaning and yet the grout and silicone caulking around our shower stall get dirty looking within a day or two of our serious scrubbing. We have tried everything to keep it looking sparkling clean and nothing works. We leave the ventilation fan on for a good period of time to try to get the humidity out. We are very clean people, and yet our shower always looks like it is dirty or moldy, even when it is not. Just saying all is not always what it appears and despite the less than inviting looks, the shower area may be cleaner than you think it is.