Do many passengers take their own pillow from home?

Several years ago, I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee. I started to sleep with a body pillow between my legs.. Sure wish I could bring that. I do travel a bit so its not like I am never with out it, just seems like I sleep so much better. Oh well that's what the new premium drink package is for I guess.

I too have neck problems and must sleep on a thin, soft pillow. I have found a great pillow that Walmart carries for $3. At that price I always buy one right before each trip. It works really well for me. At the end of the cruise I just leave it behind and have more room in my suitcase going home.

One other reason I bring my own pillow is I can't stand the thought of putting my head on pillows that so many others have slept on :eek:.

I like thin, foldable pillows that I can put on top of another poly-fill pillow. Ship pillows are often too full for me or are sometimes feather pillows which I think smell awful and feel prickly.

I take my own cotton blanket, too. I have difficulty sleeping sometimes so comfy things from home help me to nod off.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Flying to Europe to catch our next ship and I just can't imagine trying to carry/pack a pillow. This will be our second Med cruise. By the time my head hit the pillow (regardless of the type) I was exhausted and slept. It's just not worth the hassle, even if it's vacuum packed. I've been thrilled to find that I can do with less and less on each cruise. Adding something like a pillow, for me, wouldn't work. Even on the flight, I use an extra soft jacket to roll up and put my head on to sleep. Everything has to serve a dual purpose to get included.

I dont and I have Neck problems. I always try to see if they can get me an extra pillow.. id love to bring my pillow from home but it would take up way too much room.. But honnestly most nights i am so tired by the time i go to bed while i am Crusing it doesnt matter.. My normal sleep time while crusing is normally 12am-6am lol

Flying to Europe to catch our next ship and I just can't imagine trying to carry/pack a pillow. This will be our second Med cruise. By the time my head hit the pillow (regardless of the type) I was exhausted and slept. It's just not worth the hassle, even if it's vacuum packed. I've been thrilled to find that I can do with less and less on each cruise. Adding something like a pillow, for me, wouldn't work. Even on the flight, I use an extra soft jacket to roll up and put my head on to sleep. Everything has to serve a dual purpose to get included.

Do you do your own flight plans or use a agent or cruise lines? I am figuring out the cheapest way to do this. Thank You :)

Several years ago, I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee. I started to sleep with a body pillow between my legs.. Sure wish I could bring that. I do travel a bit so its not like I am never with out it, just seems like I sleep so much better. Oh well that's what the new premium drink package is for I guess.

I always bring a body pillow CASE and then put two pillows in that and use it for a body pillow. Works great!

I appreciate the idea of the comforts of home with a pillow....but it also raises a question - are there any health/sanitary considerations in play?

(Bringing aboard bedbugs, scalp illnesses, or other things that can transfer to a ship stateroom and only effectively removed with disinfectant cleaning...)

Not a clean-a-phobe by any means...but on aircraft...I've seen some really grungy pillows brought onboard that raised the same question by other passengers as well...

Alphakitty, I love you! I use a body pillow at home, & when I travel I try to use 2 pillows instead. Using a body pillow case is brilliant! Thank you so much. :D

I always bring my regular pillow, pack it in my suitcase. I don't travel without it!

If you're flying it's problematic to bring a pillow. OTOH, if you are driving, go for it. Seems like people who drive bring their entire home with them. And yes, I am jealous. ;-)

King, the drive-to-the-port packing "free for all" habit we've acquired is not necessarily a wonderful thing. Returning home yesterday from an 11-nighter was, hopefully, a wake up call, because the amount of luggage we brought with us this time was REDONKULOUS! I need an intervention!!!

Teddie :)

I always bring a pillow when I travel. I take a pillow I like and cut the end off. Pull out half the stuffing and sew it up. You will have a half pillow for traveling. It has worked well for me for a long time. Not much of a space hog either and you never use a whole pillow anyway, unless you have a really huge head!

I bring my own pillow AND blanket :eek:

I am really picky about my bedding (like custom make my pillow cases) and I pack pretty light otherwise so it has always been worth it to me (so much more comfort!) to bring my own stuff if I can. If I'm spending X amount of dollars to enjoy my vacation I want to sleep as comfortably as possible too.

My sista from another mista! :D Me too. I was just discussing this with visiting family and they looked at me like I was insane. I did this on the last cruise and slept soooo well. I just bring a light 'airplane' type blanket and sleep with that instead of the sheets on the ship. Much cosier and I feel comfortable sleeping with the blanket right by my face. I also bring my own gel pillow due to neck issues. I take along a green garbage bag and every morning I put my pillow and blanket in it so they don't get misplaced or worse, thrown on the floor, by room attendants.

Edited by louv2000

I always bring a pillow when I travel. I take a pillow I like and cut the end off. Pull out half the stuffing and sew it up. You will have a half pillow for traveling. It has worked well for me for a long time. Not much of a space hog either and you never use a whole pillow anyway, unless you have a really huge head!

OMG! That would involve, gasp, sewing! More power to you :)

Teddie

I always travel with my own down king size pillow. It squishes enough that I can put it in my luggage and then fluff it out when I arrive. I put a purple zippered satin pillow case on it and take extras so they can be laundered.

Part of it is I can't get comfortable without my own pillow, but there is also a yuck factor about putting my face on a pillow others have used. :eek:

Some ships do have 'pillow menus' but usually for the more expensive cabins. It is possible that if you ask nicely your steward might be able to get you a different pillow even if you are not in a suite.

I have found that most pillows on cruise ships are really soft and squishable. At home I use a curved neck pillow, but so far have never brought it--I just don't want to try lugging it along either in or out of my luggage, since we always have to fly to a port.

I've tried bringing small pillows along for the plane, but so far none have worked out very well.

I have two types of pillows. I use one more than the other and that is the one that I bring with me. My other pillow is a lot like the pillows on my fav cruise line, so I don't really need it. You wouldn't know that I have it unless you were my cabin attendant because I roll it and pack it in my checked luggage.