I Said I'd Never Sail Oasis - Solo Review

wrp96

St. Maarten

10848900093_1b1b5db8dd.jpg

10848659406_6e88762733.jpg

I booked an independent snorkeling excursion through my travel agent's website. I ended up with Captain Allen's and it was worth the time.

The booking info said it met at 9:15 which was St. Maarten time. Oasis was scheduled in port from 8 until 5. Unfortunately the time change occurred that week so that was actually 9 to 6 St Maarten time. I woke up early so that I could be waiting at the gangplank to rush off the ship as soon as it opened. That wasn't necessary as we were docked with the gangplank open before 7am.

We had 5 ships in port with us (Norwegian Sun, Royal Princess, HAL Eurodam, HAL Westerdam, and Carnival Dream).

My ship's bigger than your ship:p

10848931713_b834bc832b.jpg

With so many ships in port I was glad to be off and on the pier long before people realized we were there.

So Captain Allen's Excursion (called Snorkel and Beach Adventure by my travel agent's website) involved:

going out out to Tintamerre Island where we snorkeled with the sea turtles, and also saw stingrays, barracudas, nurse sharks

going to Green Key where we started at one end of the island and the current drifted us down the length of the reef in front of the key

then to Pinel Island where they provided sandwiches and we could get in the water and walk into the beach for souvenirs or drinks (water was 2-3 feet deep).

I didn't take a lot of pictures because I was having so much fun

Our Captain, Jervis, and his mate, Ion

10848939263_c8ebff46d3.jpg

Green Key

10848962333_473b628545.jpg

Pinel Island

10848784874_3e0bc6a14b.jpg

10848805174_fb8d30baf7.jpg

On the way back to the ship I heard this calling my name

10848997743_77f14eb0bc.jpg

And this was necessary to combat the sunburn that I had gotten because I spent so much time in the water that day my sunscreen kept washing off

10848816174_78693d615b.jpg

I love Christmas and all that it entails but I thought the first week in November was more than a little early to be wished a Happy New Year.

Maybe the ship crossed the international date line! :D Subscribed!

RCCL twisted my arm and said I had to do it.;) Let's put it this way, it was a REALLY bad day at work and an extremely good deal.:p I referred to it as a week long attitude adjustment.:D

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes! :D

So some final notes:

I didn't make it to the medical center onboard (for those that don't know me, this is an accomplishment).;)

I used luggage valet and it was worth every penny. You had to sign up by I believe Tuesday. It was available for flights from FLL starting at 11:30 and I believe 2:00 from MIA. If you were flying Southwest, you're flight had to be before 6:00pm (might've been 6:30 but there was definitely a cutoff).

Self disembarkment was scheduled from 6:45 to 7:45 (if you have read the other reviews from our cruise, it started much earlier than 6:45). For luggage valet, the paperwork said we could disembark anytime between 7:15 and 10:45. I went ahead and got off the ship at 7:15 - so still within the self disembark group. It took 30 minutes to get through immigration as there were only 4 stations open - I was over the duty limits but they just said I must've had a good vacation.:D So if you are self-disembarking because you are in 1) a hurry or 2) want to avoid lines, be ready to go well before the 6:45 time.

Taxis and shuttles were plentiful and easy to get on disembarkment.

The crew onboard was absolutely fantastic and friendly. Always smiling, always helpful, I heard many of them singing as they worked.

If you like to people watch this is a great ship for that.

Yes, you can feel movement on this ship. Even though it's an extremely big ship, the ocean is even bigger.:p

You can definitely enjoy yourself on this ship without spending any money - but all the different options make it even better because even if you don't use them they spread out the crowds. And as I said I only encountered a crowd while waiting to enter the dining room for breakfast one day (hmm, I wonder if Margie is still nagging Frank, things to ponder) and lunch on another day.

The chairs on deck 5 aft are fantastic for reading, just don't get in the way of the joggers and walkers while trying to get back there.

Signed,

I need another cruise!

Subscribed!

Maureen, I would like to point out that all the pictures I took of barely dressed men were solely for research and review purposes. If I didn't know you were waiting for them, I would've just stood there drooling.;)

Edited by wrp96

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes! :D

My family promptly ruined it for me when I got home - literally before we left the parking lot at the airport. I need another attitude adjustment stat!!

So I said I'd never sail Oasis. It was too big, too many people, etc, etc, etc. Note: my favorite class of ships is the Radiance class. I hadn't even been on Freedom class because I thought that class would be too big.

So how'd I find myself on the 11/2/13 Eastern Caribbean sailing on Oasis? A combination of a really bad day at work and a Tuesday deal including a single supplement special meant I was "forced" to try her. Sometimes you've just got to take one for the team.;) Oh, did I mention that was also the night RCCL announced extra points for singles?:p

This review will be mostly impressions as I had a rigorous schedule of eat, drink, read, sleep, repeat that I tried to follow - with of course regular stops at the spa. Besides I think Michael's doing a great job of covering most of the activities on the ship.:D

Cliff notes version: I had a fantastic cruise, the ship was beautiful, crew wonderfully friendly. I never felt crowded, but it was too big for me (according to my feet) and I missed the views to sea of the Radiance class. Still I would sail her again and would definitely recommend her to others.

Glad you took the plunge and enjoyed your time on Oasis! Have sailed on every class of RCL ship and enjoy them all for different reasons. Variety is the spice of life....K.O......:)

While I was waiting for the backstage tour, I caught the last question of the Captain's talk.

Woman: Captain there's so many other ships out there. How do you avoid hitting them?

Captain, after the laughter died down: Well at sea, I have a standing order to stay 2 nautical miles away from all other ships, 3 miles if it's Carnival.:p

Really funny!!! Great review, thanks for sharing your cruise with us!:):)

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm one of those people who have been saying ... "no way ... it's too big for me." But the Tuesday sale flyer has really got my attention. If I can slip in a solo trip at a good price at some point in 2014 ... I just might take the plunge.

BTW, I heard just last week that the carousel was built here in Ohio ... I guess I should make a pilgrimage and assess their workmanship.

Thanks for the great review ! Sorry I didn't get to meet you onboard..it was a great cruise .

This was our second time on Oasis, and I swore I would never go on a ship that big again, but this second time, it was different for some reason...and we had a great time !

The ship and the staff were amazing.

My next cruise voucher is burning a hole in my file cabinet as we speak :)

wrp96, nice read--thanks for the share from another solo cruiser! Still not sure I can get past the 'mall' descriptions but I'll keep reading about these big ships. :) Perhaps if I can stumble across one of the sweet deals you, maureencruiser, and others picked up on, then I'll try one of these ships.

Enjoy the day! :cool:

So I said I'd never sail Oasis. It was too big, too many people, etc, etc, etc. Note: my favorite class of ships is the Radiance class. I hadn't even been on Freedom class because I thought that class would be too big.

So how'd I find myself on the 11/2/13 Eastern Caribbean sailing on Oasis? A combination of a really bad day at work and a Tuesday deal including a single supplement special meant I was "forced" to try her. Sometimes you've just got to take one for the team.;) Oh, did I mention that was also the night RCCL announced extra points for singles?:p

This review will be mostly impressions as I had a rigorous schedule of eat, drink, read, sleep, repeat that I tried to follow - with of course regular stops at the spa. Besides I think Michael's doing a great job of covering most of the activities on the ship.:D

Cliff notes version: I had a fantastic cruise, the ship was beautiful, crew wonderfully friendly. I never felt crowded, but it was too big for me (according to my feet) and I missed the views to sea of the Radiance class. Still I would sail her again and would definitely recommend her to others.

Hey! I think my husband and I along with another couple from Philly met you one night at bar in Central Park. My husband and I were the couple from Missouri.

Wrona, great pictorial review.

I was never quite a NOOTS, I was always a NOOTS with the addition of doing the same 7 day cruises to places I have already been to too many times. I broke down last January and did a 7 day cruise to all of the places I had already been to too many times on the Freedom and enjoyed it so much that I really really broke down and this January my conditional NOOTS status will be null and void.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do such a nice review.

jc

Hey! I think my husband and I along with another couple from Philly met you one night at bar in Central Park. My husband and I were the couple from Missouri.

Yep, that was me.:D. As I said I have absolutely no problems making friends and talking to others.:p. Hope you enjoyed yourself.

Wrona, great pictorial review.

I was never quite a NOOTS, I was always a NOOTS with the addition of doing the same 7 day cruises to places I have already been to too many times. I broke down last January and did a 7 day cruise to all of the places I had already been to too many times on the Freedom and enjoyed it so much that I really really broke down and this January my conditional NOOTS status will be null and void.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do such a nice review.

jc

Note, other than the entertainment I really didn't do most of the big things that make Oasis and I've been to all the ports multiple times. But I went in with the same attitude about cruising I always have - have fun, relax, make some new friends - and definitely enjoyed myself.

Note, other than the entertainment I really didn't do most of the big things that make Oasis and I've been to all the ports multiple times. But I went in with the same attitude about cruising I always have - have fun, relax, make some new friends - and definitely enjoyed myself.

I like all of the things that Oasis offers. I love, love, love the flowrider. I will do the zipline. Heck I would jump off the high dive if they would let me. That said, I like to travel to new places, but we started back in 2010 just doing cruises to do a short brain dead relaxation holiday, and now I am doing cruises just to surf for a week. So, we are still doing great trips to new places, Australia, New Zealand, Costa Rica, Ireland and Scotland the last 2 years, but am now mixing in a week in the winter on a RCI ship with the flowrider. Next year we have the Oasis in January and a river cruise boat in October in Romania.

jc

wrp96, nice read--thanks for the share from another solo cruiser! Still not sure I can get past the 'mall' descriptions but I'll keep reading about these big ships. :) Perhaps if I can stumble across one of the sweet deals you, maureencruiser, and others picked up on, then I'll try one of these ships.

Enjoy the day! :cool:

Yes, on the lower decks I did have to search for sea views and I definitely missed that from the Radiance and Vision classes - deck 5 aft on the jogging track is your friend, I sat and read there a lot.

And yes the Royal Promenade is a mall but it was SOO big that I never felt too enclosed and there are windows looking down from Central Park so there is some natural light.

Central Park was just amazing with plants blooming everywhere - probably why I enjoyed the Trellis Bar so much was I was outside but protected from the elements. That and the bartender made some extremely tasty "Diet Cokes.";)

The big place where Oasis has an advantage over other large ships (of any line) is the pool and sports deck. There was just so much space up there that it never felt crowded even on sea days.